Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I can't imagine the horror of being forced to bring huge explosions to blow up giant bugs. What a crime of game design, what if instead they just skipped the middleman and only gave you 3 strat slots.

Parkingtigers posted:

What's the best advice on getting the Gone in 360 Seconds trophy? Missions, loadout, enemy type, any tips in general. I just need that one, and the "nobody dies on a level 6 mission" which I can always sneak out a stealth solo run if needed. Really want to get the speed one over and done with though.
Bot Blitz is far easier than Bug Blitz if you just want to complete the objective and get out. Drop on a base and laser it, airstrike everything else on the way and run to the extract. As long as you don't hit a strat jammer you should blaze through it. It's too bad that bots are dead forever.

Darox fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think gas might be bugged in exactly the same way as fire damage over time. Ie, if you aren't the host it doesn't hurt them properly.

As for the kill count, you get a skull with a number, it looks like this:

yeah i was landing direct hits over a breach with 0 kills and it looked like the gas dissipated real quick

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The "just shoot the bile titan two eats bing bong so simple" is hilarious because I more than likely already used both EAT's killing two of the three chargers. poo poo just gets so chaotic, I forgot how hard the bugs can be.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
That's where your teammates come in. No one helldiver should be expected to carry the entire AT burden.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

yeah i was landing direct hits over a breach with 0 kills and it looked like the gas dissipated real quick

That’s disappointing. Hopefully they can figure out some stability for gas and fire soon. I can confirm in my case I was seeing the kill counter tick up like in that screenshot.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

What's the best advice on getting the Gone in 360 Seconds trophy? Missions, loadout, enemy type, any tips in general. I just need that one, and the "nobody dies on a level 6 mission" which I can always sneak out a stealth solo run if needed. Really want to get the speed one over and done with though.

Bug Blitz. Then Orbital Laser, Grenade Launcher, Ammo Pack, 500kg/airstrike. Drop a laser on the first bug hole you see, lob grenades into the next few holes, fire & forget the eagle on bug holes/crowds, keep running and ignore the small bugs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Strong Sauce posted:

this just means that the devs have been doing a good job ensuring that all of the orbital strikes are equally powerful

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So I think I saw someone here mention a bug where there was a lethal spot on the map. That happened in a mission I played, my friend and one or two other team members died instantly to "unknown" after stepping on some spot on the map, and wasted a few reinforcements trying to get their samples and weapons back because the same thing happened each time.

Other bug I experience sometimes is when joining a mission, sometimes I cannot choose a booster, and choosing strategems is also kind of bugged out in that if I use my mouse I select the wrong ones, I have to use the direction arrows and enter key.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incogneato posted:

Someone mentioned that this game is client side p2p. Is that true? My friend complains that he only gets lag when he plays with me, and I'm generally hosting.

It is indeed peer to peer. It tries to hand off host if the host crashes or drops and weird poo poo can happen.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey, I just recently got into this game, and I'm wondering if there's a bug on the major orders awarding medals. I participated in the big push against the automatons alongside another brand new friends and a veteran player. They received the 50 medals, but over a day later, I've still got nothing. It would be a big boost to getting me along the battle pass, so am I just screwed out of them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes, there is a bug on the major orders awarding medals. It takes a few days sometimes.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I think the one before last took like 10 days for me to get the medals.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

incogneato posted:

Someone mentioned that this game is client side p2p. Is that true? My friend complains that he only gets lag when he plays with me, and I'm generally hosting.

If that is true, is there some known cause of the lag? I have fiber with great up and down speeds, low latency, and am not on WiFi. But my computer isn't the newest. His situation is opposite (so so internet but better computer).

afaik up/down speed and latency aren't as important in this as your ISP's ability to competently route traffic or whatever. i play with someone who DCs every 30 seconds due to horrible amounts of packet loss and their only solution is using a vpn

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, there is a bug on the major orders awarding medals. It takes a few days sometimes.

Baiard posted:

I think the one before last took like 10 days for me to get the medals.

Thanks, I'll just be patient then. At least they got the medals to you eventually.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Sagebrush posted:

You definitely don't need that many stratagem slots. Technically all you need is one person with an EAT, because they still die to two shots to the face. Add a person with a 500 and a person with a rail cannon and you have plenty of options. And all three of those are also useful for chargers and bile bugs and stuff.

That said, on 8 and 9 they do really seem to be spawning a lot of them lol. The other day I had four titans alive at the same time, all appearing within about 30 seconds, all on the same objective. I'd almost rather they not increase the spawn rates but instead buff them to be even more powerful, so they're a genuine terrifying challenge like the AT-AT rather than just a temporary obstacle. But that also is not great, because I think one of the best things about this game is that the enemies aren't bullet sponges. It's extremely unfun to sit there chipping away for minutes like it's an MMO. I greatly prefer the frantic feel of having more and more and MORE enemies to deal with while your weapons still hit just as hard and satisfying...ly.

The bile titans spawn rate on 8/9 is fine as long as your team brings a lot more than 500kg, orbital rail, and an EAT to deal with them. The stun nerf also makes this significantly harder because you can’t just line up free 500s and rockets to the face any more, so you end up doing a lot more chip damage and needing a combo of attacks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Eimi posted:

Thanks, I'll just be patient then. At least they got the medals to you eventually.
The issue is that they weren't expecting to have several million players and there's no efficient way to give out the rewards all at once on the backend, so they have to trickle them out slowly.

Early on when they tried giving them out all at once it completely swamped the player resource tracking and for a day or so missions would randomly not give rewards.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Darox posted:

I can't imagine the horror of being forced to bring huge explosions to blow up giant bugs. What a crime of game design, what if instead they just skipped the middleman and only gave you 3 strat slots.

"Huge explosions" aka a choice between a bazooka, a laser bazooka, and disposable bazookas, each with nearly identical firing profiles and almost no function outside of their designated role? Riveting gameplay, baby.

It doesn't help that other options are either broken, unreliable, or got nerfed. Patriots can barely dent a BT now with the rocket damage and aim nerfs and Stun Grenades actually opened up alternate options but nope only EATs and 500kgs allowed sorry

Edit: and sorry again, I'm just salty after playing a game full of chargers and bile titans. I don't find much enjoyment from endlessly running away from nigh-invulnerable enemies with invisible beam breath while I wait for cooldowns. But I also don't like cakewalks so this is the bed I made I guess

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I think gas might be bugged in exactly the same way as fire damage over time. Ie, if you aren't the host it doesn't hurt them properly.

As for the kill count, you get a skull with a number, it looks like this:

I'm not yet convinced it has entirely to do with who is the host. I've played games where the host could light stuff on fire but their gas strikes did no damage, and I've done tons of drops where I'm not the host and deal fire damage without an issue. I did, however, also drop on a handful of games where patches of fire left by napalm and flamethrowers did no damage at all, but my flame breaker did fine.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 9, 2024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

e: nevermind

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 9, 2024

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Hellmire squashed, gg team.

Don't even care about the order really, people talk about The Creek but it seems like I can never escape Hellmire. :shepface:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I've also had wildly varrying success with gas strikes, sometimes doing seemingly nothing, sometimes locking down almost all of an entire bug breach. Usually they instant kill helldivers though. Been a minute since I've personally used it though.

causticBeet posted:

The bile titans spawn rate on 8/9 is fine as long as your team brings a lot more than 500kg, orbital rail, and an EAT to deal with them. The stun nerf also makes this significantly harder because you can’t just line up free 500s and rockets to the face any more, so you end up doing a lot more chip damage and needing a combo of attacks.

The AC turret also does pretty good work on bts, if you can place it in a position where it doesn't instantly get shattered by a bug swarm.

Recently I had a match that was going smoothly but ended with too many fire tornados, which I swear are sentient and/or hungry, at least half a dozen chargers, and three or four bts. We dealth with most of them with AT stuff, RR and Quasar, orbital railcannon, 500k bombs, and a bit of orbital lasers, but multiple of them where finished off by the one guy with an arc cannon after a hit or three of anti big stuff failrd to finish them off. Seems like a pretty fantastic compliment to take alongside everyone else's heavy weaponry.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

novaSphere posted:

"Huge explosions" aka a choice between a bazooka, a laser bazooka, and disposable bazookas, each with nearly identical firing profiles and almost no function outside of their designated role? Riveting gameplay, baby.

It doesn't help that other options are either broken, unreliable, or got nerfed. Patriots can barely dent a BT now with the rocket damage and aim nerfs and Stun Grenades actually opened up alternate options but nope only EATs and 500kgs allowed sorry

Edit: and sorry again, I'm just salty after playing a game full of chargers and bile titans. I don't find much enjoyment from endlessly running away from nigh-invulnerable enemies with invisible beam breath while I wait for cooldowns. But I also don't like cakewalks so this is the bed I made I guess
Fair enough, bugs are very two dimensional as a faction. It's why the "op meta breaker + railgun" whining was so overblown, because there's only 2.5 different kinds of bugs so obviously everybody is going to pick the good swarm killing gun and the good heavy killing support gun. The only difference between then and now is that everybody uses the Sickle and Quasar now and some of the alternatives (EATs, Breaker) are actually decent instead of garbage like during the railgun era.

Darox posted:

It would be an interesting alternative if charger legs were a little less heavily armoured and given more health to compensate. Let AC/Laser Cannon/Impacts break leg armour and then give the stripped leg like +60% more health than it currently has.
I still think they should do this to help weapon diversity against bugs. That way rockets are still the best and fastest way to kill them but other weapons are more viable without causing audible sighs when you encounter chargers. Also revert the railgun nerf.

e: Also also make bile spewers spawn on every single bug mission, it's still insane to me that the only bug that doesn't fall into the two different bug categories ("just shoot it with your primary" and "just shoot it with a rocket") only has a small chance to actually ever show up on missions even on Helldives.

Darox fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 9, 2024

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

are any of the superstore armor sets worth it? i know some provide unique armor sets/weight combos, but are any good enough to be worth buying?

There’s a few in my opinion (apologies I don’t recall the precise names but I go by the armour modifier and type) because they have no crossover with warbond armour:

- the light padded armour (more armour than the type normally has)
- heavy padded armour
- light engineer (more grenades, though you get medium engineer armour in Helldivers assemble)
- light medic (more stims)
- heavy medic

The worst thing about the war bonds, so far, is that the armour is all the same type and mod. Hopefully that’ll change with the upcoming warbond.

All that said, I do find myself favoring the “Power of Democracy” armours these days.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i accidentally picked spear instead of grenade launcher and i'm only able to hold one spear since i also brought down a guard dog.

anyways my teammate is running from a charger, i line up the spear and get him. i'm about to summon another spear down when i turn around and another charger is there looking at me.. it starts to charge and i'm trying to throw down the call down beacon and i juke the wrong way against the charger and it runs over me right into a rock.

apparently the guard dog did just enough damage to finish it off and it died right on top of me and i ended up getting stuck. my teammate killed me but then i realized all my samples were also stuck underneath the carcass. so we just had to wait it out.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I accidentally joined a lvl 1 mission instead of starting my own, we were a full squad, and 2 of the players who were in the lvl 30 range kept dying to bugs. It was interesting to say the least. We used 10 reinforcements.

I'm assuming it was someone new playing on their account, or at least I am hoping that was the case.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
why is the spear not a guarenteed kill against hulks, tanks, etc?

just worse in every way than eat/rr

even vs gunships where you would think it'd be perfect you only get 4 shots and the quasar does just fine shooting them out of the sky

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The Spear uses programming to defeat its target. It is basically a bot. Are you saying bots should be effective?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For all its downsides, the spear probably should be a guaranteed kill against bile titans. But not chargers. This would mean that against bots it has the use case of sniping towers and factories, and against bugs it could deal with the titan. But it would still be a pig to aim, and you'd still have the chargers and hulks/tanks as things it struggles with.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I love EATs too, but the main limitation for them on 8-9 difficulty bugs is the throughput. At most you can get in one shot per 30 seconds vs one shot per 12 or however much it is with the Quasar.

anyway, what's the latest on the host only fire damage bug? it's hard to test so I don't know if that is still a thing or not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's absolutely still a thing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never host and use incendiary breaker constantly and have never once seen it. :shrug:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
the spear already sucks at killing chargers because the lockon blows and also it can't hit anything close to you since the missile just flies over the target's head.

It has absolutely no flexibility since you can't use it on smaller enemies in a pinch, can't kill poo poo close to you, and if you have multiple targets in your lockon cone it's awful at shooting the one you want.

Needing two shots to kill bile titans is fine, you can already do it in one if you hit the head. If anything i'd like to one-shot chargers since they're a lesser tier enemy, there's already a ton of limitations on its power already.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 9, 2024

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

What is with the rewards for the major orders not paying out? I’ve participated in the last two and I have yet to see any rewards.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Sindai posted:

I never host and use incendiary breaker constantly and have never once seen it. :shrug:

fire BASE damage still occurs, it's only DoT damage ticks that are broken on anyone not the network host, which is different than the game host. So yes flamers and incin breakers will still work fine, but not "optimally".

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

fat bossy gerbil posted:

What is with the rewards for the major orders not paying out? I’ve participated in the last two and I have yet to see any rewards.

They appear to have a really weird, inconsistent delay in being paid out. They do get paid out, eventually.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

helldivers is actually a very elaborate cryptocurrency rugpull.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Strong Sauce posted:

helldivers is actually a very elaborate cryptocurrency rugpull.

That’s why you shoot the bugs in the butts

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

fat bossy gerbil posted:

its a delayed batch processing job to award them to the million players who actually contributed, i really get the feeling it is a manually triggered processs

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Was playing 8s on Fori and was nearing the end of a relatively smooth mission. I died and on my reinforce landed on top of the big canyon wall bisecting the map, reinforced someone else up there and we both ran along it all the way back to extraction and heroically dove off, both surviving the fall.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
its like being drunk, diving reduces damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Good God the flamethrower absolutely melts chargers with the new fire buffs. I was taking them out with what felt like half a tank of sustained fire, pair that with the laser dog for chaff and I’m getting 300-400 kills a game.