Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

- Stop caring about SSD lifespan
- You want a VM. Setup a KVM with stupid bullshit on them.

that isnt as fun

i think the reason im paranoid about my SSD is because the first SSD i had in this laptop died in like 2 months although im pretty certain that was a manufacturing defect (got it replaced under warranty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hbag posted:

that isnt as fun

i think the reason im paranoid about my SSD is because the first SSD i had in this laptop died in like 2 months although im pretty certain that was a manufacturing defect (got it replaced under warranty)

then buy a lovely laptop if that’s what you want to do

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

the only time i did was when i bought that pair of optane 58GB's on fire sale as a complete joke. they have like 1600 tbw which is just funny. i use them as my raid1 for /var/log. maybe after ten years i will hit 1% of that

now optane i can get into

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive had two SSDs die. both were before i started heatsinking them all. now i have like a dozen around the house and none have broken.

just as a rumor, the sk hynix brand ones are highly regarded for laptops as they seem to run a few C cooler than the others. I think when SSDs die, 98% of the time its the controller chip overheating, not the actual nands. but the sk's seem solid

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Captain Foo posted:

then buy a lovely laptop if that’s what you want to do

yes thats what i was saying. it will have to wait until ive got more money to spend on poo poo i dont "need" but i will eventually

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

Update to F39 to make the F40 easier. Good lord.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im sure they're 400,000 pounds cause brexit, but i buy latitude 7490s for shittops. i've picked up a couple for friends that needed a cheap browsing box, and i have one with maxed ram and a big ssd that i threw ubuntu on purely as a "haha this is my linux laptop" gimmick. never paid more than 200 usd for em.

8th gen i5 or i7 (i always i7), nvme slot, lots of ports, good keyboard, good enough 1080p screen, 8h of browsing if the battery's in ok shape. Nice little beaters.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
or you could do what i did and grab a decently spec'd chromebook, flash coreboot to it and enjoy. i got a 10th gen i5 with a 11" 4k hdr10+ oled, stylus/touchscreen/tablet mode (supported by gnome and kde), 256gb nvme ssd for $400

they are basically built for linux (since they run chromeos), so drivers aren't an issue

e: gotta be careful wrt ram though, lots only have 4gb. both of mine only have 8gb, it's basically the only thing i wish i could improve about them (well ok the m3 model only has a 64gb emmc ssd, but there's a microsd reader built into it so its fine)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 9, 2024

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
booooooooo:

FATAL: Detected Missing Required CPU Feature: Carry-less Multiplication extensions (pclmilqdq)

its an i7 Q 720 so… what 10 years old? a wee baby! still should work fine!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy gently caress a three digit i7

please click this one

https://www.loc.gov/acq/gifts/

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
i still have my i7 960 with 24g of memory and a nvidia 1070 in it

my youngest is playing vrchat on it right now with an index headset

it does surprisingly well for an ancient core

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

booooooooo:

FATAL: Detected Missing Required CPU Feature: Carry-less Multiplication extensions (pclmilqdq)

lol that's 15 years old, so yes, a bit too outdated for clear unfortunately

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i don't think windows 10 will even run on that. it was complaining about my i7 4770k (but clear runs on it just fine, so)

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

booooooooo:

pickle milk D.Q., good instruction for u kno what

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fresh_cheese posted:

booooooooo:

protip: i think if you use the clear image intended for "legacy" KVM (https://www.clearlinux.org/clear-linux-documentation/get-started/virtual-machine-install/kvm.html) you might be able to bypass those restrictions

but, uh. that's obviously an unsupported configuration, so expect problems if it works

e: https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/image/ or https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/current/

again, you want the "legacy" kvm image (41450 is current, the first url is kinda-to-very outdated)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 9, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

fresh_cheese posted:

booooooooo:

Wow, a 30 year old OS complaining about a 15 year old computer.

Imagine letting software push you around like that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the thing you are trying to run your operating system on is a piece of poo poo

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
netbsd it is

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

the thing you are trying to run your operating system on is a piece of poo poo

you'd think it'd be compatible

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

What distro should I run on my Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W?

It needs to be headless and not waste precious resources on a bullshit GUI. It also needs to come up in a sane configuration on first boot, and uh, how do you do initial login without an ethernet jack? I don't have a mini HDMI cable on hand. Maybe I can stuff wifi credentials into the microSD card when I flash it?

It has a Broadcom wifi chip, so I assume that will be non-functional or suck with anything other than the official Raspberry OS. Is that right?

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to use these for, but logging in and compiling code would be a good start.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ugh I am going to have to buy a mini HDMI cable before I can gently caress around with this board, aren't I? Why did the RPi Foundation make it incompatible with RPi 4B micro HDMI cables?

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth lol

https://blocksandfiles.com/2024/04/08/ixsystems-no-one-is-getting-marooned/

quote:

Kris Moore, SVP for engineering, told us: “Upstream has shifted. So first of all, ZFS, that’s kind of the heart and soul of TrueNAS and was for FreeNAS as well. Most of that [development] work takes place on Linux these days; features testing, all that happens on Linux. FreeBSD is the thing you port to and you’re done. So that momentum has moved.”

“Again, drivers, features, all these things are natively developed on Linux first. These are day one, and then FreeBSD is if we feel like it or a community person ports something over.”

“We had a huge chunk of our engineering staff spending time improving FreeBSD as opposed to working on features and functionalities. What’s happened now with the transition to having a Debian basis, the people I used to have 90 percent of their time working on FreeBSD, they’re working on ZFS features now … That’s what I want to see; value add for everybody versus sitting around, implementing something Linux had a years ago. And trying to maintain or backport, or just deal with something that you just didn’t get out of box on FreeBSD.”

quote:

BSD aficionados don’t like this change. Moore said: “Talk is cheap and complaints are free. You know, everyone loves to complain about it. But … if people wanted to push FreeBSD forward for the last 15 years, they would have.”

”It’s not like iX has gone to the dark side. We’re an open source company still. Guess what, Linux is open source. This is something I’ve had to argue with the BSD guys, like you’ve betrayed us. And I was, like, the source code is all still there. It’s all free. It’s all still available.”

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I have burned out a few SSDs at work.

SLOG devices take the entire sync write load of a file server. With NFS, that's a lot of writes.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
mm yeah i did see numbers go up real fast on the drives i setup as nfs cache

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ryanrs posted:

It needs to be headless and not waste precious resources on a bullshit GUI. It also needs to come up in a sane configuration on first boot, and uh, how do you do initial login without an ethernet jack? I don't have a mini HDMI cable on hand. Maybe I can stuff wifi credentials into the microSD card when I flash it?

It has a Broadcom wifi chip, so I assume that will be non-functional or suck with anything other than the official Raspberry OS. Is that right?

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to use these for, but logging in and compiling code would be a good start.

NetBSD

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
can you imagine not needing to use top or htop because there aren’t enough processes running for ps auxww to be unwieldy

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
Today I needed some newer software on a machine that hasn't been updated for a few years. Since the machine runs NixOS I was able to do

code:
nix-shell -I nixpkgs=https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/archive/refs/heads/nixos-unstable.tar.gz -p ...
and get a recent version of whatever I needed. This is pretty unclean, but I managed to get my work done, and no lasting scar tissue will remain. It's pretty nice how NixOS lets competent sysadmins (not me) do fancy things, while also letting dirty hackers (me) do whatever without much harm.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

eschaton posted:

can you imagine not needing to use top or htop because there aren’t enough processes running for ps auxww to be unwieldy

busybox's ps not knowing what auxww means always throws me

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

eschaton posted:

every time with hidepid=2

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

NetBSD's wifi drivers look to be in a poor state.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
maybe openwrt again? lol

if it's an 802.11ax broadcom chip though, forget it. openwrt doesn't support them and won't be able to until broadcom open sources some driver that will undoubtedly have less functionality. you might indeed be stuck with the official distro

e: oh it's b/g/n? old enough that it might work then. hell even netbsd might

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 9, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

If I can get all these devices running on Vanilla OpenWRT, that would be convenient. Plus I'd have the ability and motivation to maybe fix bugs.

For example, I just noticed my GL-AR750 is not properly shutting off the wifi chips on boot when you have the radios disabled in the config. If you toggle the radios on, then off again, idle power goes down by 0.3W (20%!!). If I have full sources and a working build system, I can probably fix little poo poo like that.

And yeah, b/g/n is fine for my needs. Less fine is crap like periodically dropping the connection, long weird pauses, etc. It's for low-speed machine telemetry + some occasional SSH interactive stuff.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

comedy option: gentoo

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ryanrs posted:

Ugh I am going to have to buy a mini HDMI cable before I can gently caress around with this board, aren't I? Why did the RPi Foundation make it incompatible with RPi 4B micro HDMI cables?

I think I was able to activate a usb serial device on a raspberry pi zero image so that I could use minicom to get a console login.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ryanrs posted:

NetBSD's wifi drivers look to be in a poor state.

not everything is on the newest architecture, oh no!

are you seeing something there that makes you think they don’t work at all?

note that the “tested” column means “tested after conversion to the new architecture,” not “tested at all,” because the page you dug up to scare yourself and others is about in-progress work and not a list of what works and what doesn’t in NetBSD 10

eschaton fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2024

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo on rpi is quite nice if you set up crossdev on a capable build host first

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Crossdev

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, I have another ARM board with more memory for my build host.

How is Gentoo for headless, light-duty server service? This board has 512MB, which seems like a lot, but maybe not in 2024.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

do you really want a rolling distro on a server?