Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Nix Panicus posted:

There's gonna be survivors. Humans went through a genetic bottleneck once, they'll do it again

yeah and their emissions will be zero because all the trees that aren’t already on fire will be too flat and wet to light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

ram dass in hell posted:

how you do anything ripples through how you do everything, and if you are throwing trash out the window of your vehicle you are 100% metaphorically doing that in all of your relationships. you should not want to not litter. you should recognize that being the type of person that does not litter is a more enjoyable and fulfilling way to live your life. namaste

But if you become the kind of person who doesn't care about throwing your trash out of the window of your vehicle, you'll fit in better with the people who've completely burned out their ability to empathise with other living creatures in order to pursue infinite wealth, and those people have a shitton of MDMA and once they start experiencing chemical empathy they will just give that poo poo out to anyone like it's candy.

This is probably also why they leave their bikes behind - the comedown from MDMA is basically full-blown anhedonia, which means they can't imagine caring about their dumb bikes enough to pick them up out of the dirt onto the same vehicle that they came out on.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lol

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

HazCat posted:

But if you become the kind of person who doesn't care about throwing your trash out of the window of your vehicle, you'll fit in better with the people who've completely burned out their ability to empathise with other living creatures in order to pursue infinite wealth, and those people have a shitton of MDMA and once they start experiencing chemical empathy they will just give that poo poo out to anyone like it's candy.

This is probably also why they leave their bikes behind - the comedown from MDMA is basically full-blown anhedonia, which means they can't imagine caring about their dumb bikes enough to pick them up out of the dirt onto the same vehicle that they came out on.

that’s a really interesting theory about a bunch of people who never suffered any social or financial repercussions for literally anything in their entire life and probably never cared about the bikes in the first place

they’re definitely on MDMA though

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Also wasn't the most recent Burning Man more like Muddy Man? Can't imagine it was particularly bikeable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-09/data-can-t-explain-off-the-charts-heat/103649190

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Ignore_Me posted:

that’s a really interesting theory about a bunch of people who never suffered any social or financial repercussions for literally anything in their entire life and probably never cared about the bikes in the first place

they’re definitely on MDMA though

They've never suffered any social or financial repercussions for literally anything in their entire lives, but I can guarantee you that when they aren't in a post-drug fugue state the strongest force they normally experience is 'this is mine, it belongs to me' which would normally preclude them leaving their bikes behind for no reason (especially when they absolutely have other people to do all the heavy lifting for them).

Getting the bikes home is as easy as getting the bikes there, they just mysteriously stop caring about the bikes while strung out like yesterday's laundry.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AceClown posted:

I've been thinking, even if we somehow managed to find a completely zero emission fully renewable and hyper efficient source of power it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the long term.

We'd still cybertron the gently caress out of the planet, destroy entire biospheres and all it would do is speed up humanity loving up other planets and solar systems.

We really were hosed from the beginning.

I saw a comic that I can't find again where some scientist introduces his invention that generates electricity from the Earth's orbit. Someone asks, "Won't that cause the planet to slow down?" The scientist replies "Not as long as we use the energy responsibly." Then the next panel is Earth falling into the Sun.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

AceClown posted:

I've been thinking, even if we somehow managed to find a completely zero emission fully renewable and hyper efficient source of power it wouldn't make a bit of difference in the long term.

We'd still cybertron the gently caress out of the planet, destroy entire biospheres and all it would do is speed up humanity loving up other planets and solar systems.

We really were hosed from the beginning.

Even if we had fusion with no bad byproducts, you couldn’t form a Cybertron or Coruscant because the waste heat from these power plants and all our economic activity would literally boil the oceans. Four centuries more of 3% growth in GDP will get us there.

Rauros posted:

i always took umbrage at "simple, protein-based bodies." cellular machinery is way more complex than a microchip.

Facts. The bit with them poking brain centres always whigged me out.

Ah yes, very nice. Now do Moonfall.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Even if we had fusion with no bad byproducts, you couldn’t form a Cybertron or Coruscant because the waste heat from these power plants and all our economic activity would literally boil the oceans. Four centuries more of 3% growth in GDP will get us there.

just put the power plants on the moon. problem solved

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Xaris posted:

i always wondered how that works since locking them up doesn't seem to be common. i mean i get most of the bikes there aren't that nice and kinda cheap but still, i think you'd want to lock them up after personalizing them, maybe spending effort putting on new tires, adjusting seats or maybe buying a nice butt cushion seat, memories and attachment, whatever.

in america if you leave it unlocked it'll be gone in under 6 hours no matter how crappy of a cheap bike. i even had a cheap bike with a broken brake (literally could not brake) and a chain that was malfunctioning get stolen, and i live on a steep hill so they probably crashed

99.99% of bikes are always left locked (on the street), this is just the stolen bikes for drunk people

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

99.99% of bikes are always left locked (on the street), this is just the stolen bikes for drunk people

a significant amount are left in the canals (lock status unknown)

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/NateB_Panic/status/1777633396165890369
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knge_1uWbro

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Oh hey, what a coincidence SATELLITE IMAGES TRACK DECLINE OF TASMANIA’S GIANT KELP FORESTS

quote:

statewide coverage of giant kelp that formed dense floating canopies on the water surface was more than 400 hectares in the late 1990s but collapsed to less than 10 ha by 2015.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I mean yeah, Kelp slows down movement

also if you harvest it you get roughly 100 turns worth of food, you're not planning on playing that long are you?

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/_david_ho_/status/1777379046114087294

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Zodium posted:

a significant amount are left in the canals (lock status unknown)

and then they fish them out and recycle them once or twice a year (along with the occasional piano) :shobon:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
This is a few weeks ago now, but the Economist did a special issue on the future of oil, called The Long Goodbye, somewhat marking the 50th anniversary of the oil embargo which upended the oil world:

quote:

Fifty years on is often a good time to look back on a radical change. It fits well with a human lifespan. It lets people born after the change understand better what is special about the world they have always known, what is necessary and what contingent. Those towards the end of life can provide first-hand accounts of the change and its aftermath.
That would be reason enough for taking stock of the world which the oil shock of 1973 created.

quote:

Before the embargo the oil price had been stable for decades. Since 1973 it has been persistently, sometimes remarkably, volatile

I think we in this thread can all agree we'll be saying goodbye to oil one way or another, sooner or later, but of course the Economist has a slightly more optimistic outlook than this thread.

Here are the main features in achive.ph links:

For 50 years the story of oil has been one of matching supply with increasing demand - The next 50 years will be different

Choice excerpts:

quote:

The UAE produces about 3m barrels of oil per day (bpd) and the state-owned producer, the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company, hopes to increase its production capacity to 5m bpd by 2030.

quote:

The emirates are thus the world in microcosm. The disastrous hazards of climate change are manifest. The oil industry has never been bigger. When demand slumped during the covid-19 pandemic some hoped that it would never return to its previous heights. But it has since surpassed them.

quote:

The [UAE] sees itself as being able to keep going until the end of the end, if necessary. The best of the reserves around the Persian Gulf are both vast and relatively cheap to exploit. What is more, for the most part working them does not, in itself, emit as much carbon dioxide as does production in other places. Other things being equal a world reducing its dependence on oil will abandon higher-cost producers first.

quote:

the oil shock of 1973 and its successor, the shock which followed the Iranian revolution of 1979, “framed energy policy for half a century”.

The 1970s showed what a range of economic, political and geopolitical effects oil-supply shocks can have. In developed countries the increases in prices and the central-bank reactions to them drove up inflation and stifled the economy. That set the scene for the rise of free-market politicians like Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan in the years which followed.

Because many of the opec countries had little to invest in at home, the “petrodollars” they were raking in ended up invested in international banks, making them keen to lend. Developing countries, keen to borrow, saw their debt climb quickly. The imf calculates that 100 developing countries saw their foreign debt rise by 150% between 1973 and 1977. The 1979 shock then sent interest rates soaring, triggering the third-world-debt crisis of the 1980s

Why oil supply shocks are not like the 1970s any more

Choice excerpts:

quote:

The shock of 1973 (which had, among other things, led to the creation of the iea) was focused on oil alone and had its prompt effects in developed countries. The post-February 2022 energy crunch was felt more widely more quickly.

But if more of the world was vulnerable than it had been in the 1970s, the energy system was also more robust.

quote:

In response to the shock of 1973 consumer nations set up petroleum reserves, co-ordinated by the iea, with which they could counter sudden supply shocks.

quote:

In the 1970s the oil market was a brittle, secretive enterprise. Over the decades which followed it grew into a sophisticated and largely transparent market worth over $2trn—bigger than the markets for the next ten commodities combined.

quote:

And then there was a third factor. Over the course of the 1980s and 1990s [...] fracking [...] had been the subject of government research. [...] In the early 2000s fracking [...] saw previously untappable shales produce gas in abundance.

quote:

The blunting of Russia’s gas weapon is just one of the ways in which America’s new drilling technologies changed the world.

There's a bunch more in this fascinating article about how America's role in the middle east is waning (because oil is less of a concern now) and China's interest is rising (but only from an economic viewpoint, not a security & stability viewpoint).

The article also touches on climate change and the impetus to stop fossil fuel exploitation:

quote:

climate politics might see countries try to restrict supply. It would be a hard task. To shut down another country’s fuel exports is both hostile and difficult, as Russia’s ability to keep exporting oil shows. To shut down your own exports penalises domestic industry and, in a world with large and liquid markets, is unlikely to do much to lower overall emissions.

"shooting yourself in the foot isn't useful if everyone else keeps their feet intact". This will be the death of earth

The end of oil, then and now

This article is mostly about how demand for oil might be forced down, but it also mentions the internal politics of OPEC. Shooting yourself in the foot works when everyone else's feet get blown right off their legs as a consequence. Saudi Arabia is good at that:

quote:

this led to a glut that almost destroyed opec by heightening the fundamental tension within any such cartel. In the long run the cartel as a whole stood to gain if its members limited production enough to raise prices; in the short run each member had an incentive to try and circumvent such limits.
As the swing producer, Saudi Arabia had the job of matching supply to demand. In 1985 it became sufficiently fed up with reducing its own output to try and constrain supply while other opec members broke their quotas that it turned on the taps. The oil price fell like a stone.

And from Oil’s endgame will be in the Gulf, which is much more about those politics, and OPEC's role in the world:

quote:

“Saudi Arabia has played its cards very well,” Christyan Malek of JPMorgan Chase, a bank, observed at the time. With opec+ controlling 40% of the world’s oil production, the card sense of the cartel’s dominant power matters a lot. Saudi Arabia’s clout within the cartel comes not so much from the level of its production (Russia produces roughly as much), but more from its singular willingness to allow significant capacity to sit idle. As the swing producer it can stabilise or raise prices by reducing production or soften the market by increasing it. Lower prices cause disproportionate harm to producers whose costs are higher than the kingdom’s—that is, to almost all the rest of the cartel.

quote:

Some, such as Badr Jafar of Crescent Group, an Emirati business, think the Saudis use this power to keep things on an even keel. They act “as a kind of beneficial central bank for oil supply”, he says, “with price stability [the] primary objective.” Others are less charitable. Saudi Arabia has twice flooded the market to lower prices, in 1986 so as to punish the cartel members who were not adhering to the cartel’s production quotas, and in 2014 to hurt us shale-oil producers. In its attempt to squeeze a recalcitrant Russia into cutting production in 2020, when covid lockdowns were crashing demand, it kept its taps so open that oil prices became negative; for a short while traders had to pay for the stuff to be taken off their hands. Edward Morse, formerly of Citibank, argues that on balance the Saudis are “a very disruptive entity in the market despite claims of being a force for stability.”

Finally, Can Big Oil run in reverse? Some of the industry sees putting carbon dioxide back in the ground as key to its future

Haven't read this yet but the title reminds me of something a goon said in this thread about the mammoth challenge: carbon sequestration is like building a copy of every car ever built and then running them backwards

Microplastics has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Apr 9, 2024

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://x.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1777758579812163736

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
public-private eugenics partnerships ftw

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Nix Panicus posted:

In fact, lunar manipulation could solve the problem of human made global warming forever if employed correctly

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

cool, cool cool

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

lol

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

no such thing as a lead free lunch

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

we are leading the way to feed our children!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
my cat died and I’m sad about it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

fear not. they shall one day be rebirthed to begin the cycle anew

just think…. one day future squid people will put straws in the ground and pump up the cat oil to fuel their 6000 lb sqord S150 kingcrab truck to drive to the 100-stall buc-sees to pickup a bag of jerky and drive back to their squburbs

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
one day my giant goony dick will become oil and will be provide a grand total of 25 feet of driving oil

Communist Cop
Jun 29, 2023
https://twitter.com/hausfath/status/1777719953267003494?t=nasGP0XWkDHmXtDPhqBhcA&s=19

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Stereotype posted:

that sucks. losing a pet sucks. we made a photo collage for ours and put it in front of her urn. vet gave us a card that comes with a seed imbedded in it to plant in memorium. it was nice. RIP to your cat

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

0 days since a new IPCC goalpost and counting

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

waving the crane in with those battery powered light-up batons to pick the goalposts up and move them

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Stereotype posted:

sorry buddy.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Probably nothing to worry about.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Stereotype posted:

:(

Plz Post a pic of your cat (from when it was alive)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Had a moment at lunch today and saw a striping crew on the street

never thought about it until today: the street markings, with their super durable paint and reflective particles, only last 4-6 years.

where's the paint go?

away

JAY ZERO SUM GAME has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Apr 10, 2024

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/JulianCribb/status/1777812549792383219

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
It is Malthusianism to talk about where the food comes from now or will come from in the future. Next question, urgently

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

vertical hydroponics moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

I've read multiple times that if we stop burning any more fossil fuels, temperature will jump 0.8 - 1.1°C over a couple of years.
We can already see that in North Atlantic temperatures. This guy, and the IPCC, should know that, right? Even if we stop all emissions today, we're not staying beneath 2° without massive geo engineering.

Or am I mistaken?