Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Maybe we should just vote zoya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Shellception posted:

To further drive this home (I'm going to sleep after this don't worry):

- 9 people alive end of D2 (one NK)
- 7 fish prizes awarded.
- 9 - 7 = 2 possible second spots

The only combination that has someone not win any second prizes at all is submitting, IE. Pike and Pike when the other person has a bigger Pike.

Any combo of two different fish presented automatically wins something.

i don't understand what any of this means but what i do know is ##vote shell

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Zoya posted:

Oh Zoya.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Zoya posted:

Mmm...

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm town and I believe that you guys can wing it after I'm dead 😁

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

##vote: Zoya

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

CubicalSucrose posted:

Someone is sense-checking Shell, maybe? I've been away from a computer for days now and so don't have the Power of Spreadsheets to validate.

Passing reading suggests at least most of what they've been saying has been about right.

I'd please please like someone to, because I'm mostly convinced I'm right but I'm also pretty able to gently caress logic up by myself.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

PlasticAutomaton posted:

the other question is what fish did our three no action takers submit

It's still missing Moritz's fish because he hasn't said, but we know what fish Zoya and Hal claimed.

Moritz? Please?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh I got a sauna ticket from a perch.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

Thanks! This is actually interesting info to have.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sorry I'm gonna mech-chat again for a second, I promise to shut up fast and think of some more entertaining fishy facts for later.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

So Hal's post gives the impression that he won second place with the Zander because the Zander was bigger:

Hal Incandenza posted:

807g Zander that won Sausages and 171g Perch that was worthless

But that's not how it works.

Each fish category has a different range of weights, we've already seen that in the prizes. So a bigger Zander than a Perch means nothing - what means something is that it's the second biggest Zander or Perch in its category.

Categories are ruled in a given order, and if you win a prior one, you can't win a latter one:

the OP again posted:

The fish will be judged in the order of: King of the Lake, Goldfish, Salmon, Roach, Pike, Perch, Whitefish and Zander. First place prizes will be judged first and once a player has won a prize they will be ineligible to win for the rest of the day.

It caught my eye that Hal won with a fish that's dead last in order when he had a Perch, that's judged earlier. Just a question mark I had, I guess. But...

Tired Moritz posted:

... TMor claimed to have won with a Perch, leaving Hal to run down the queue to the Zander.

So it all matches up.

Can TMor and Hal be lying and coordinating this? Maybe. If I squint I can see it, but... yeah.

I think both of them are telling the truth.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mind you, telling the truth here doesn't mean they aren't scum. There is a possibility that both the thief with the Zander and the other scum are in the pile of No Fish, and that's important to remember.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Has anyone gotten any fish that hasn't been describes with "tiny/small"

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tired Moritz posted:

I got a huge 7kg Salmon last night, but funny enough my only fish today was described as "pretty average" which I hadn't seen before. Mid fish.

(also a spectator sent me a tiny hand emoji and I feel fishshamed)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes, D1 Roach.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Shellception posted:

So Hal's post gives the impression that he won second place with the Zander because the Zander was bigger:

But that's not how it works.

Each fish category has a different range of weights, we've already seen that in the prizes. So a bigger Zander than a Perch means nothing - what means something is that it's the second biggest Zander or Perch in its category.

Categories are ruled in a given order, and if you win a prior one, you can't win a latter one:

It caught my eye that Hal won with a fish that's dead last in order when he had a Perch, that's judged earlier. Just a question mark I had, I guess. But...

... TMor claimed to have won with a Perch, leaving Hal to run down the queue to the Zander.

So it all matches up.

Can TMor and Hal be lying and coordinating this? Maybe. If I squint I can see it, but... yeah.

I think both of them are telling the truth.

TMor and Hal telling the truth --- does this necessarily means Zoya is lying? (Or one of the others lied better?)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CubicalSucrose posted:

TMor and Hal telling the truth --- does this necessarily means Zoya is lying? (Or one of the others lied better?)

Problem here is that, by the order of claims, TMor's post backs Hal's post. They can both be lying, but IMO it makes little sense for only one of them to be.

Also, Zoya is lying independently of what TMor and Hal did. She literally can't be left out of a second prize.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Hal's claim means someone won over him with a Perch. Zoya hasn't claimed having a Perch. The only possibility for him to be telling the truth and TMor being a liar is that it's Maer who overtook him with the Perch, and TMor has a winning fish too.

Which isn't impossible. But.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Conversely, Hal lying and just happening to claim to win with the last fish in order without knowing if anyone else had a perch is just absurd.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Fish facts!

I don't have that many left, I'm sorry. But I can still scrounge some up.

Remember those guys? Tetra in general are schooling fish, which in theory means that if you have a large group of them, they'll swim together and make a pretty cool optical effect. It also reduces fish stress, as they feel safer in groups, and ensures no fish gets pecked down and stressed by the others. Pretty nifty.

In practice, I've gotten smaller tetras to school for around two days after being brought home. Once they have inspected the tank up and down and decided it's safe and sound, they will start going wherever the gently caress they please.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

There are around a fucktillon species of tetra and most of them exhibit particularly lazy design. Although the Neon/Cardinal pair are probably the worst offenders, there are just lots of recoloring and reskinning here.

Bigger tetras like the ones shown above also like schooling. Because they're rather similar to one another, it's not rare for them to form big mixed schools if you have more than one species, or to have the one or two stragglers left from a group cozy up to a larger group of a different species. They aren't violent in general and don't really discriminate.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Btw, X-Ray tetra like the one shown in the first pic are usually very inexpensive, very hardy fish and, as their name implies, they have the cool quality of being partially transparent. You can see their spine and inner organs pretty clearly!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Usually not as clearly as in that pic, though, unless you have a lot of light in your aquarium. They tend to be of a dark grayish color.

There are other transparent fish. I have no personal experience with them (I got into the hobby as a broke grad student and most of my knowledge is about your cheapy and hardy fish, I know nothing about fancier varieties) but those little aliens aren't uncommon, if a bit harder to care for.

Crystal Catfish. If you want to not see your fish, they're for you.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Speaking of catfish! If you've ever had an aquarium, chances are you've run onto those guys. They're billed as algae eaters, mostly for the aquarium glass, and they're good at that.

They are, also, usually trouble. Way more trouble than you'd expect from a pacific looking, bottom-dwelling fish. They are territorial assholes that won't mind relentlessly attacking and stressing any other catfish to death for the crime of wandering onto their area. And their particular areas are... large. If you have a medium-sized aquarium, it isn't rare for them to claim the whole thing for themselves.

There is another problem with catfish: a lot of them look similar. And by that I mean, a 20-something cm adult aquarium catfish will look the same as their cousin that can get as long as your arm and definitely shouldn't be in your tank unless you have a really big one. The trade is getting better in particular about this, I feel, but finding out your aggro fish also grew way bigger than expected used to be a pretty unsavory surprise.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Catfish hold the honor of being the only fish I've managed to breed while not being vivipares. By what I mean, one day we looked at the tank and two or three of those comma sized things were hanging from the glass (like all others, this pic is not mine, I don't think I have any left).

If nothing else, Ancistrus catfish are Good Dads. The female will lay eggs somewhere hidden, gently caress off, and the male will fertilize them - and then he will sit on the eggs and attack anyone getting close. We didn't get to see the eggs, but if you have a pair of them and the male Ancistrus (they get a "beard" unlike females, whose head is rounded) suddenly becomes really protective of a small corner, chances are you're gonna see fishies sometime!

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Fish facts.

Votecount for Day 3

Zoya (2): Shellception, PlasticAutomaton
Hal Incandenza (1): b-minus1
Shellception (1): Zoya
Tired Moritz (1): Sandwolf, Zoya, Zoya
b-minus1 (1): Hal Incandenza

Not Voting (2): CubicalSucrose, Tired Moritz

With 8 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2024 at 11 p.m. EEST -- that's in about 10 hours, 33 minutes.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

I will probably be not-around for the few hours leading up to deadline (doing a Hal impression).

##vote Zoya

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
##vote zoya

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

That's -1.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I’ll hammer but I want to give people some chances to fish if they haven’t submitted

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Man, those kinda days feel like they lurk themselves to death. Anyone wanna say anything?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
Idk what else there is to say other than I ll be mad if zoya is town

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

Idk what else there is to say other than I ll be mad if zoya is town

If Zoya is somehow town, IMO we flip TMor, 'cause I'd be surprised if it's Hal after how he has played in general. Night is long though and a lot of stuff can happen.

Tbf I will be mad at myself if Zoya flips town because that'll mean I went off an incredibly dumb tangent and lost town a day on my own fart-huffing.

But I really don't think Zoya is going to flip town.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
its not your fault even if zoya flips town. its not like anyone else has anything to say

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
all my fishes are terrible this round too.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

##vote zoya

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: Hey, that's a hammer for Zoya!

Votecount for Day 3
With 8 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 09th, 2024 at 11 p.m. EEST -- that's in about 5 hours, 38 minutes.

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Zoya has been voted out

quote:

You are Kauko Karhu, scum-aligned fisher

You've always been a winner, maybe because you're ready to do whatever it takes to win. Sure some people call you a cheater, but they just don't want it enough, in this life anything goes, be it monopoly or icefishing competitions. You've been hired by the locals to put an end to this championship and you're going to make sure you win it while doing so

You win the game when your team has unassailable control over the vote.

Anything to win At the end of each day you can target a player to steal their biggest fish

Well connected You're part of the old boys sauna club with some of the judges. At midday (after everybody has completed 3 casts) you will get a check in of the largests caught fish for each species

The winning fish for today are:
Salmon 6442g
Roach 495g
Pike 987g
Perch 625g
Whitefish 403g
Zander 1374g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusionis
Dec 12, 2011
Good morning once again contestants. We have a truly beautiful, sunny day for the fourth day of our competition and I am exceedingly happy to report that there have been no incidents last night. I know everybody is still shocked at the discovery of another cheater last evening, but I can assure you that they were in no way connected to the other cheater and that there will most definitely be no more foul play in this championship.

Day 4 has begun Deadline is currently set for 11pm UTC+3 on Saturday