Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Maybe it’s just a licensing thing :shrug:

They already stripped out all the Beatles music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Maybe it’s just a licensing thing :shrug:

Honestly I just kinda get a kick out of personally blaming Tim.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Guillermus posted:

I guess that you didn't know that you could just copy all 6 CDs to the HDD in a single folder then burn that to a DVD and it would install perfectly? It had no burning protection at all so it was easy to make a single disc inataller

Nah being like 14 or 15 at the time I didn't think about that poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This has been said a billion times but....

Valve

- owns and maintains Steam
- has all of their games (afaik) available to be purchased on Steam, usually at a massive discount, since they're the developer and publisher. Half Life, Portal, Counter-Strike, L4D, TF2... Those are the Marios, Zeldas, and Metroids to Valve.

Epic:
- owns and maintains EGS
- develops and maintains an extremely popular game engine
- ???

I guess "has fortnite" is a sticking point for them, but even I'd get back into fortnite if it was on Steam and easily available on the Deck (I know I can install it but I'm not putting Windows on there just so I can play online).

I will never understand how the entire Unreal catalogue is now unavailable. I'd get it if they were all EGS exclusives. I'd 100% get that. It'd be annoying but I'd get it.

But this... :shrug: with a side of :negative:

Also, my official Steam copy of UT2K4 runs like a goddamned dream on the deck, unsurprisingly.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It would be so easy, so cheap, such an easy PR win. But Epic don't. So people ask why, try to contrive a sensible reason. It's the online component, licensing, software bitrot.

It doesn't really matter, because regardless of the reason it's embarrassing. They know how to build 3D engines and lucked out with Fortnite, but they seem to have no loving clue how to run a store.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I don't know why Sweeney thought paying out for exclusives would help them gain control of the market. The one exclusive I wanted I waited until it hit Steam and I didn't know Darkest Dungeon 2 was in early access for an entire year because it was on EGS and only found out because I googled it randomly one day wondering how development was going.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This has been said a billion times but....

Valve

- owns and maintains Steam
- has all of their games (afaik) available to be purchased on Steam, usually at a massive discount, since they're the developer and publisher. Half Life, Portal, Counter-Strike, L4D, TF2... Those are the Marios, Zeldas, and Metroids to Valve.

Epic:
- owns and maintains EGS
- develops and maintains an extremely popular game engine
- ???

I guess "has fortnite" is a sticking point for them, but even I'd get back into fortnite if it was on Steam and easily available on the Deck (I know I can install it but I'm not putting Windows on there just so I can play online).

I will never understand how the entire Unreal catalogue is now unavailable. I'd get it if they were all EGS exclusives. I'd 100% get that. It'd be annoying but I'd get it.

But this... :shrug: with a side of :negative:

Also, my official Steam copy of UT2K4 runs like a goddamned dream on the deck, unsurprisingly.

I wish Valve would port its catalog to the Mac again; nearly all of them have been unavailable since Apple nixed 32-bit app support. Nobody remind me “lol Macs don’t game,” please, they have at various points and what I’m asking shouldn’t be impossible for a company with Valve’s resources to wrangle.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

none of valves games are even available on current generation consoles, save for portal on the switch which only happened because nvidia did all of the heavy lifting, they're definitely not going to bother with the mac

they should just give nightdive the goldsrc games at some point

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess they'll be out on Xbox if all those rumored changes come to pass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Hasturtium posted:

I wish Valve would port its catalog to the Mac again; nearly all of them have been unavailable since Apple nixed 32-bit app support. Nobody remind me “lol Macs don’t game,” please, they have at various points and what I’m asking shouldn’t be impossible for a company with Valve’s resources to wrangle.

Do they not work now under the compatibility layer?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

nope, rosetta only runs 64bit intel apps on ARM

they killed 32bit app support entirely, they won't run on any mac anymore, not even intel ones

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
My 2013 intel MBP with boot camp stays winning :cheers:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh apparently crossover is now able to run 32bit windows executables on ARM macs, though it's slow

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Grimthwacker posted:

My thoughts on Minerva: It wasn't that great, and often quite aggravating. I get wanting to make a Half-Life 2 mod with heavy emphasis on combat. Problem is, combat isn't the best part of Half-Life. Even with MMod I was struggling. The puzzles were often obtuse or obscured by the level design and poor lighting. Valve puzzles are great about giving you subtle hints. Minerva puzzles don't give you that much, probably to stymie players enough so they see more brilliant writing from Dollar Store Durandal giving a hint.

Yeah, I think I've had enough Half-Life. Don't even wake me up when HL3 gets released.

the mod he did for HL1 is better i think. still hard as poo poo but not nearly as obtuse

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

at the end of the day his single level designs that make use of all the space available is very commendable

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

repiv posted:

oh apparently crossover is now able to run 32bit windows executables on ARM macs, though it's slow

I thought so! Should be fine to brute force a source engine game surely.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's 2024 and I've only just realised that you can deactivate the Jump Boots in BLOOD when not using them. This reminds me of when I found out that the beserk packs in DOOM still work after the red tint wears off.

Should've read the manual :doh:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I bind jump boots to C and use them by quickly tapping C, Space, C. You virtually never run out and its really OP.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I bind jump boots to C and use them by quickly tapping C, Space, C. You virtually never run out and its really OP.

That's a good strategy, thanks! I probably wouldn't have even realised this if not for playing Fleshed Out which practically relies on conserving jump boots to progress through several of the levels.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure, but since Riven doesn't really have fast travel (there sort of is for the last third of the game but I don't think that significantly improves the situation) you still have to frequently swap disks just to transit between islands to get to where you want to go.

I just feel like predictable, player-initiated disc swaps are a minor step up over getting a sudden swap prompt. It's not perfect, just slightly less jarring.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Deakul posted:

Nah being like 14 or 15 at the time I didn't think about that poo poo.

That's fair. I'm an old rear end that used to sail megagames and gamescopyworld to get NO-CDs so I could burn my original multiCD releases into a single DVD for easier installing. Funnily enough there were games that had no copy or even DRM at all so it was just a matter of copy/pasting everything into a folder and burn (like UT2k4).

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

That's fair. I'm an old rear end that used to sail megagames and gamescopyworld to get NO-CDs so I could burn my original multiCD releases into a single DVD for easier installing. Funnily enough there were games that had no copy or even DRM at all so it was just a matter of copy/pasting everything into a folder and burn (like UT2k4).

DOOM became one of the biggest games of all time not only because it was awesome but because it had no copy protection. Had it required a codewheel or something, yes it would have been cracked, but the lack of any barrier to entry meant that my Dad's computer repair guy offered to pre-install the registered version on our new PC free of charge. Years later I have bought more copies of the game than is healthy despite getting the original game (and it's sequel) free of charge back at release.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

It's amazing how many gaming success stories start with the accessibility of the product.

Meanwhile; "Please buy our £70 game"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Convex posted:

DOOM became one of the biggest games of all time not only because it was awesome but because it had no copy protection. Had it required a codewheel or something, yes it would have been cracked, but the lack of any barrier to entry meant that my Dad's computer repair guy offered to pre-install the registered version on our new PC free of charge. Years later I have bought more copies of the game than is healthy despite getting the original game (and it's sequel) free of charge back at release.

That's noble and all, but honestly I think the iD team would have preferred the single sale back when they where still young folk. That evil little train of thought is why gaming is such a mtx disaster nowadays, they're only pushing horse armour since people keep legitimately buying it, and not the bespoke gamer sweetheart titles like HL3 or whatnot.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair it is easier when you're the only game in town, pun intended. If there's literally no other game remotely like yours on the market, it's certainly easier to just let it fly free and reap the rewards.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Codewheels were fun because back in the days, the group I was for buying and sharing games, basically made cardboard copies of these like the Indiana Jones or our beloved spanish PC Fútbol that had the same physical protection.

Doom was great because we were like 10 kids paying for a single game and copying the four floppies so everyone had theirs at home. Duke3D was a different beast because it came out in a single CD and I bought the unit, so instead of copying the CD, I just installed it, then zipped (and splitted) across floppies as copying a CD in 1996 wasn't as cheap as it was like two years later.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I gotta say, the Remaster source port of Quake 2 is pretty drat good. You can toggle off most of the remaster bits if you want and the item wheel thing is good for all the different inventory items you get in the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In 5, 10 years from now I may forget the nuanced changes of the Q2 Remaster--but I will Never Forget the Berserker's heat-seeking sonic leap attack

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think the Q2 remaster is the best example of Night Dive's stated mission of releasing the games that you remember, not the games as they were.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In 5, 10 years from now I may forget the nuanced changes of the Q2 Remaster--but I will Never Forget the Berserker's heat-seeking sonic leap attack

The leap attack and the waypoint system, for me

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The leap attack caught me so off guard the first time, which I think was the bridge over lava trap.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Codewheels were fun because back in the days, the group I was for buying and sharing games, basically made cardboard copies of these like the Indiana Jones or our beloved spanish PC Fútbol that had the same physical protection.

Doom was great because we were like 10 kids paying for a single game and copying the four floppies so everyone had theirs at home. Duke3D was a different beast because it came out in a single CD and I bought the unit, so instead of copying the CD, I just installed it, then zipped (and splitted) across floppies as copying a CD in 1996 wasn't as cheap as it was like two years later.

I’m reporting you to the entertainment software association right now your crimes cannot be allowed

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Baron von Eevl posted:

The leap attack caught me so off guard the first time, which I think was the bridge over lava trap.

Such a classic setpiece too.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arivia posted:

I’m reporting you to the entertainment software association right now your crimes cannot be allowed

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Arivia posted:

Arivia (shortly before getting their legs broken)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
No one would even consider pirating Bloggo's Pow.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

:yeshaha:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Convex posted:

DOOM became one of the biggest games of all time not only because it was awesome but because it had no copy protection.
DOOM became big because of the explicit sanctioning of copying (and the relative cheapness thereof) the shareware version, which was a whole third of the game (and arguably, the best third).

Everyone had shareware DOOM. Relatively few people I knew actually had the registered version, pirated or not.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember, way back in 92 or 93, so wanting the full version of Wolf3D. Oh man, I'd go through that manual in the menu so many times, reading about it. My parents weren't big on sending money through the mail for products, and I never saw it on store shelves, so I never got it. Actually most of my games were shareware versions of bigger games, and I'd get them either as one-offs from a rotating display at Radio Shack, or a big boxed release that was like a multi-disk compilation of shareware titles. It was years before I ever owned a legit, full version of any substantial pc game title.

Once, a friend of mine at school, Joey, offered to give me a copy of ALL 6 EPISODES OF WOLF 3D (!!!), so I gave him a 3.5" diskette, and then next day, he gave it back. I was so excited for the rest of the school day. I went home, ran upstairs to the computer, put it in and.... it had "wolf3d.zip". What's zip? I.... I don't know what to do with this, man! :wtc: Another friend of mine at the time, similarly into computers as I was, was just flat-out convinced that Joey was lying to me and it wasn't there. But I still believe it was.

It was my first encounter with file compression and I didn't have pkunzip yet, so I had no way of opening it. Months later, when I got a disk full of utilities like pkunzip from some bargain bin (also from Radio Shack), I tried to find the diskette my friend had given me but I had lost it. So close!

Now, I just rewatch Civvie handle Wolf3D and my FOMO is retroactively removed from my kid brain. I mean, all respect to the game for its time, but uuuuuuuugh, 90° corners and flat, textureless floors and ceilings as far as the eye can see. Not to mention those goddamned zombie guards. No thanks. I'll just replay Catacomb Abyss, thanks.

First episode best episode.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Everyone had shareware DOOM. Relatively few people I knew actually had the registered version, pirated or not.

Fair enough, but what about DOOM II? I don't think I knew anyone that paid for a copy of that when I was younger