Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i do not like the laser cannon. it felt terrible to use when i took it out for a bot mission a few days ago. even made sure to use it on a cold planet

the laser canon and scythe both suck unless you're getting headshots or hitting weak points in which case they're very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Luckily it's easy to hit weak points when you have no recoil.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

Laser cannon is one of the most reliable weapons for killing hulks, towers, and tanks (if you're good at spotting the vent). I mean, it kills them instantly.

Before the robots were kicked off the map icwas giving the laser cannon a try and was pleasantly surprised by it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tommy the Newt posted:

I don't think I was melting down, I was expressing an opinion. An opinion I still hold, fwiw, 48 hours or a week doesn't affect the principle of the argument which was that I would prefer the game to have more choice, for example like Deep Rock.

I don't particularly want to keep rehashing what is, in essence, a fairly simple argument so if people want to keep strawmanning it or acting as if Arrowhead have owned my dissident rear end or something, go off I guess. I'm genuinely glad you're enjoying the format.

You shamed Managed Democracy by crying and screeching when the automaton menace was defeated rather than celebrating. Now it’s been revealed that those robots were merely a vanguard we expect you to shut up and do your part for Super Earth

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

^ Dude shut the gently caress up about it already lol

I'm sure the numbers on the laser cannon are great but the fact that it doesn't stagger enemies at all is a huge downside. Having perfect accuracy and no recoil matters less when the thing you're shooting can just shoot you back and make you flinch

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

johnny park posted:

I'm sure the numbers on the laser cannon are great but the fact that it doesn't stagger enemies at all is a huge downside. Having perfect accuracy and no recoil matters less when the thing you're shooting can just shoot you back and make you flinch

Yeah, I generally use it when I want to have some fun. The AC just feels more useful in more situations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The worst thing about the laser cannon is that it's hard to use first-person because the thing is massive so it blocks half your screen and the beam fully obscures where you're trying to aim

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Laser Cannon shines in cold environments where you can fire it for almost 6 seconds nonstop.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

The worst thing about the laser cannon is that it's hard to use first-person because the thing is massive so it blocks half your screen and the beam fully obscures where you're trying to aim

100%. I wish the first person aiming was better for a lot of weapons :smith:. Not to say they are always unusable, but when you are trying to snipe a hulk's eye with the laser cannon first person it is incredibly hard to see where you are shooting.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a fun bug where I got stuck in first person mode. My guns were invisible, I could freely change between them, reload, and dive about.

Managed to capture a few seconds of it before it fixed itself.
https://i.imgur.com/Xng9PXj.mp4

It sorta ruled pretty hard, but I couldn't zoom in with my Dominator which killed how useful it was

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Yeah the laser cannon is fun but I always get annoyed when using it for the reasons above: Its a precision weapon but you can't see anything while firing it and are easily flinched on top of that.

Infinitum posted:

Had a fun bug where I got stuck in first person mode. My guns were invisible, I could freely change between them, reload, and dive about.

It sorta ruled pretty hard, but I couldn't zoom in with my Dominator which killed how useful it was

Had this happen to me during a bot drop and my camera went under the map for a good 15 seconds.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

smellmycheese posted:

You shamed Managed Democracy by crying and screeching when the automaton menace was defeated rather than celebrating. Now it’s been revealed that those robots were merely a vanguard we expect you to shut up and do your part for Super Earth

No one cares

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Laser Cannon shines in cold environments where you can fire it for almost 6 seconds nonstop.

I thought testing has shown that temperature doesn't affect how long you can fire a laser weapon, only how fast it cools down.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Infinitum posted:

Have gotten this a few times, pulling out the strat ball seems to fix it among other things.

What's much worse is the bug that seems to happen sometimes when you get ragdolled while switching into/out of first person, where the camera completely detaches from your body and flies up into the sky, swinging around wildly far from your still living body and making it impossible to see what the gently caress is going on until you are reinforced.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

turn off the TV posted:

The temperature modifiers don't seem to matter all that much.

It does seem kinda noticeable if you go directly from hot to cold or vice versa. That being said, my 20 seconds of googling can't actually find any numbers on the difference.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Yeah I tried the Laser Cannon on that icy moon and it was OK. Everyone kept talking about it’s pinpoint accuracy but I couldn’t aim it for poo poo with the huge glare, huge model, and constant bot suppressing fire.

Really missed my auto cannon against the bots. I think I have an Autocannon problem. I’m definitely one of those bad players who will dive into a horde of 100 Devastators to retrieve my stupid backpack and gun after I die. I don’t know what to do without it.

Is there a support group for people like me? How do normal people live their lives without 60 shells of pure democracy on their person at all times?

Somebody buddy loaded my AC for the first time and I loving panicked and sprayed that thing all over the place though. The timing threw me way off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

it turns out that the new mission type can actually get more boring, the extraction shuttle just has to land inside of the level geometry so you get to wait the mission timer runs out or TK your teammates 20 times

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Good god that new mission is great. Just not being able to see anything due to the smoking wreckage, throwing eagle strike after strike, constant noise and explosion. Amazing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lobok posted:

Do you use it for all bases? The Heavy bases are too much for the Laser to wipe out on its own but by the same token, using a 380 barrage for a small or medium base seems like major overkill. A rank I hope to achieve one day.

It's usually overkill for small/medium bases with one or two factories that you can get in a single airstrike, but for large bases and airbase missions where you need to destroy a bunch of dropships it's great

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought testing has shown that temperature doesn't affect how long you can fire a laser weapon, only how fast it cools down.

This is probably the video referenced:
https://youtube.com/pFAWp-5Pg-k&t=58s

For most of the laser weapons the benefit was more on the cooldown. The laser cannon had a not-insignificant effect for hot climate, however (1 second). There was also the observation that there seemed to be a hidden "heatsink wear" that subsequent firings limited the max duration.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TIL you get your stamina back way faster if you go prone.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

are any of the superstore armor sets worth it? i know some provide unique armor sets/weight combos, but are any good enough to be worth buying?

I like the light armor set with +throw distance

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Like some other armor-piercing weapons, the Laser Cannon has relatively low base damage so it's weaker to chaff, but beheads mediums and blows out heavy weakpoints real nice

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

space uncle posted:

Yeah I tried the Laser Cannon on that icy moon and it was OK. Everyone kept talking about it’s pinpoint accuracy but I couldn’t aim it for poo poo with the huge glare, huge model, and constant bot suppressing fire.

Really missed my auto cannon against the bots. I think I have an Autocannon problem. I’m definitely one of those bad players who will dive into a horde of 100 Devastators to retrieve my stupid backpack and gun after I die. I don’t know what to do without it.

Is there a support group for people like me? How do normal people live their lives without 60 shells of pure democracy on their person at all times?

Somebody buddy loaded my AC for the first time and I loving panicked and sprayed that thing all over the place though. The timing threw me way off.

That simpsons episode where Homer uses a gun for literally everything but it's an AC instead.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

jokes posted:

This is my main problem with it too.

almost1337 posted:

At the cost of screwing yourself up big time if you ever use any other armor because you spend a while missing all your strategem throws! :eng101:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I love the AC but I've recently come to really appreciate the AMR for a similar role; but that goddamn sight. Surely it can't be that hard to fix misaligned sights, especially for weapons which have no other aim mode?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i hope that the devs can eventually get the spawn RNG figured out or something because the defense missions seem to currently be either immediately swarmed by a half dozen tanks and hulks and an immense amount of pressure for the rest of the match or waiting for 30-60 seconds in between each bot drop that mortars wipe out in five seconds

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

space uncle posted:

Hello friend, we should start a support group if there isnt one. I have a policy that I only call one Autocannon in per drop. There are many Autocannons but the one I call in at the beginning is my personal Autocannon and it will not be left behind. I even successfully kept this policy last night doing some difficulty 9 drops for the first time (of course it was on Hellmire so it was extra spicy).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

almost1337 posted:

Yeah, Grenadier armor is great

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Looking at the helldivers.io map, it seems like there isn’t even a supply line connection to Cyberstan yet so I don’t think they expect us to make much progress here for a while. My guess is we’ll be pushed to the next sector over and then spend the next few MO’s jumping between bots and bugs until they’re ready to roll out the next pig update or story phase.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bring 380s to eradicate missions. After you're inevitably forced out of the base by the spawn rate, toss a 380 in from the outside and rack up the easiest 50+ killstreak of your career. Think of it as a backup plan for that specific phase of the mission.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Come to think of it I've never had more than one person bring a 380 to a mission. I'd like to see what 4 380s thrown on the same spot look like

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reiley posted:

Bring 380s to eradicate missions. After you're inevitably forced out of the base by the spawn rate, toss a 380 in from the outside and rack up the easiest 50+ killstreak of your career. Think of it as a backup plan for that specific phase of the mission.

or you throw a 380 and it ends with a 5 kill streak because you shot five dudes while the artillery salvos managed to miss every target and hit two of your teammates with pinpoint accuracy

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Fabricated posted:

Come to think of it I've never had more than one person bring a 380 to a mission. I'd like to see what 4 380s thrown on the same spot look like

we brought 11 barrages to a bot eradicate and it was reasonably effective

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Fabricated posted:

Probably a blue screen of death.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was having a good game (lvl 6) with randos, getting some good samples, shooting down dropships with the quasar.. Then a dude kills me with an airstrike, then I get reinforced directly in a crowd of bots and get taken out by a rocket devastator.. Dude then types in the chat "ENOUGJ [sic] DIED" and kicks me. WtaF

I really don't like how people can just kick in game on a whim. It seems like that should only go along with an actual report so if they are baseless they lose the ability to kick after a while. Anyway I'm pretty annoyed by that. I died fuckin TWICE. christ.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

what kind of kill counts are people seeing at the end of the new mission type? i've done three and they were each around 450-500 cumulative kills, which seems insane in comparison to the eradication missions which typically reach close to that number in around 1/5th of the duration on maps that are nowhere near as easy to defend

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Stop shooting my gatling sentry. I don't want it either so just let it finish up

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

priznat posted:

Was having a good game (lvl 6) with randos, getting some good samples, shooting down dropships with the quasar.. Then a dude kills me with an airstrike, then I get reinforced directly in a crowd of bots and get taken out by a rocket devastator.. Dude then types in the chat "ENOUGJ [sic] DIED" and kicks me. WtaF

I really don't like how people can just kick in game on a whim. It seems like that should only go along with an actual report so if they are baseless they lose the ability to kick after a while. Anyway I'm pretty annoyed by that. I died fuckin TWICE. christ.

I just wish there was some quick way to mark people from my last mission and click "never team me with that guy again."