Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
i need to get better at CS whenever i try to last hit im always off by 1 hp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Zeruel posted:

i need to get better at CS whenever i try to last hit im always off by 1 hp

the ingame last hit trainer is actually pretty sick for this

along with the '"hold s" trick to animation cancel

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I can't even with Herald dota sometimes. Got put into a game with "questionable" matchmaking. Got Safe lane, and every hero I play was banned so I figured I'd try Abba safe. I usually play him offlane, but I know he can carry.

So we have a pretty decent lane, p5 distruptor doing pretty good. So since it's it's Herald dota, our P4 comes top to help with a gank, and just stays there and starts last hitting. I ask him to leave and he starts flaming. Then our mid DP who is 0/5 by ten minutes rotates top too because he wants some of the action as well.

Then for the next 10 minutes it's just 4v4 top lane with constant brawling. I'm just trying to farm, so I go mid for a free lane and our mid starts screaming on voice "ABABABABABA AFK USE YOUR BORROWED TIME" and I ask he he can just give me five minutes to farm one item so he just starts saying "OH HE'S FARMING IT"S ALL GOOD". Then our P4 DCs right in lane, dies, and then we're 4v5 for about 20 min, and he gets a DC. He comes back at min 40 "sry guys had a phone call". By this time we're down two racks. However since I'm not fighting every two seconds , and I'm 5/1/20 I'm pretty farmed so I join the fight and get two team wipes. I'm a bit low on health, so I go back to fountain, and ask if we can just farm a bit and not try to push since they all have buy back. I go for the ancients in our triangle, in those twenty seconds, some how everyone else on my team died. bought back, died again.

I'm still angry about the "use your borrowed time" over and over, like we're behind quite a bit, you're all just chain feeding. I'm supposed to just run in and die over and over.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 5, 2024

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

In dota coaching terms I've identified the key thing to improve on

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Got put into a game with "questionable" matchmaking.

click requeue, click requeue!

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Some games be like that Super Nintendo User... Had a game last night where we had axe, earthshaker and myself as Magnus hitting triple call/ ult combos. This is in archon now and we could have easily won but our drow did not come to a single fight. I legit think one cast of her w in any of the fights would have turned the game.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NtotheTC posted:

In dota coaching terms I've identified the key thing to improve on

click requeue, click requeue!

I should have, but it was a 5 min queue, right after I had a five minute queue but one player DCed at draft I just didn't want to wait for another 10 minutes.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the ingame last hit trainer is actually pretty sick for this

along with the '"hold s" trick to animation cancel

i've looked through my settings and cant seem to find the option that makes it so holding s repeatedly runs the stop command. is it a separate option to mashing s to stop to time the LH?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
You can set auto repeat right click and just tap s while holding right click on the creep you want to last hit. I’m not real convinced this is better though. It caused me to miss a lot more than the method I was used to

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stopping your hit animation and baiting out deny/lh attempts is stronger if your opponent is a good denier/last hitter and more effort for less the worse they get

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Anyone else here use weird keybinds? I have camera set to ESDF, stop mapped to the mouse 4 and alt-modifier mapped to mouse5. The only one I'd recommend to anyone else is putting alt on the mouse, makes it less of a contortion act to hit alt+hotkey for self-cast. Having stop on the mouse is sorta nice too i guess.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://youtu.be/Mo-_imCAD7g?si=cmYo3zspQuC1FkbW

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Plank Walker posted:

Anyone else here use weird keybinds? I have camera set to ESDF, stop mapped to the mouse 4 and alt-modifier mapped to mouse5. The only one I'd recommend to anyone else is putting alt on the mouse, makes it less of a contortion act to hit alt+hotkey for self-cast. Having stop on the mouse is sorta nice too i guess.

Your post got me To search for info on kb camera users and supposedly vtune (12k+ carry) uses keyboard for camera. Impressive

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do you guys like the new matchmaking & bans system? Between the previous auto-muting functionality and now improved queuing being able to just dip if someone has low behavior score, my games have been really chill/not easily triggered, overly defensive people

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i've had rage in my games but it's been hilarious to see someone spitting trash talk, get muted by the team, and then just... play normally from that point on and we win. enforcing "shut up and play" is super good

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There were some banning phase announcer lines that will never be heard again :rip:

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My games are usually all red but when it's all green the games are usually fun and close

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Man, I'm on a pretty hot win streak, and just got to Herald 5. Just a few MMR from Archon? I had an absolutely balling Axe game, however by 40 min I was six slotted with too many active items, and I just got overwhelmed:

Phase boots
Blink
Blademail
Crimson Guard
Bloodstone
BKB

I just put blink on space bar, blinked in, palm slapped my keyboard and counted to five and then just starting mashing R on anything that had a health bar. Idk if it's the best build, it's my third Axe game, but it seemed effective.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

played as luna right as the eclipse hit. everyone tipped me.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Man, I'm on a pretty hot win streak, and just got to Herald 5. Just a few MMR from Archon? I had an absolutely balling Axe game, however by 40 min I was six slotted with too many active items, and I just got overwhelmed:

Phase boots
Blink
Blademail
Crimson Guard
Bloodstone
BKB

I just put blink on space bar, blinked in, palm slapped my keyboard and counted to five and then just starting mashing R on anything that had a health bar. Idk if it's the best build, it's my third Axe game, but it seemed effective.

I always put my emergency item as space bar, if I’m a support it’s my glimmer or force - if I’m a carry it’s sometimes MoM. Never BkB as I’ll accidentally press it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lpzie posted:

Timado goon account spotted.

Oodles posted:

I always put my emergency item as space bar, if I’m a support it’s my glimmer or force - if I’m a carry it’s sometimes MoM. Never BkB as I’ll accidentally press it.

I do this:

Space Bar -> Main initiate item (blink, orchid, gleipner) depending on hero
Z-> Main heal/recovery item (mana boots, greeves, etc)
X-> Secondary heal/recovery item
C-> Main Offensive item (Spirit Vessel, blademail)
V -> idk I can never remember this one so I don't buy more than four active items.
B -> never use this one it's in no mans land, maybe dust if there's a Bounty Hunter, and at low MMR there's always a bounty hunter.
G -> Neutral item, I never click this because I'm 41 years old and I can't remember all the buttons

EDIT; Some follow up, so far here's the heros I'm "comfortable" with:
  • Hoodwink
  • Natures Prophet
  • Witch Doctor
  • Dragonknight
  • Drow
  • Faceless Void
  • Venomancer

I'm thinking I'd like to start spamming either Marci or Snapfire. I never see them in low MMR, and when i do they just befuddle everyone. Any suggestions on that topic?

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 8, 2024

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Marci is a much better hero currently so I’d pick her as pos 1/4/5. But it doesn’t matter too much

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lpzie posted:

I am in the [very cloudy] path of totality, so I was out on my porch instead of playing DOTA :smugdog:

But the game I got in immediately there after was good :toot:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I do this:

Space Bar -> Main initiate item (blink, orchid, gleipner) depending on hero
Z-> Main heal/recovery item (mana boots, greeves, etc)
X-> Secondary heal/recovery item
C-> Main Offensive item (Spirit Vessel, blademail)
V -> idk I can never remember this one so I don't buy more than four active items.
B -> never use this one it's in no mans land, maybe dust if there's a Bounty Hunter, and at low MMR there's always a bounty hunter.
G -> Neutral item, I never click this because I'm 41 years old and I can't remember all the buttons

You should consider using some modifiers for your hard to reach slots. When I switched to using them for items I felt way better. I found that, other than spacebar, it helped to have item keys in a similar layout to the backpack grid. I think I have space bar top left then Alt+S and Alt+D on top and Alt+ZXC on bottom. Shop on tilde, TP on Z, quick buy on X. Think I had pick up from shop on Alt+spacebar. All with the goal of never needing to move your left hand too far. Might be wrong on some of those, I'll check when I'm back home later this week, but they're close

Are you using quick cast selectively? Sometimes it helps for things like blink or when you have the cursor already near your target when you want to use it, like when you're already attacking at that spot. It can reduce your reaction time by a pretty big margin with some practice.

I definitely prefer space bar to be non-targeting items like bkb. I rarely touch it for anything other than a panic/let's-go move, though I know some folks like to use their thumb more actively. Had a friend using it for select self and was spamming it all game for camera centering. "It's the easiest key to hit, use it for the action you use the most" he would say. At the time I had a lovely Logitech kb and my bar was unreliable.

What do your unit and courier selection binds look like? Having select self on 1, select others on 2, select all on F1 or something to that effect helped me a lot. You can still use group assign/select on 3+. I think I have select courier on F4 (so it was at the end of the first F series) was nice. It's been a while so I might've changed that to F2. I tried to do something clever with F4-5-6 to do a sequence, but just learning the default courier actions on QWERT ended up working better for me.

Good news is you're early into your career so experimenting with new bindings is still possible. I highly recommend doing a lot of that now. At some point you'll want to double down on the muscle memory training. I redid my bindings after like 2k games and it helped me a lot and made the game feel more intuitive and comfortable, but it was a struggle. Check out some pro or steamer layouts for ideas, but beware - some of them are weird af.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 9, 2024

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Spacebar select hero z x c v b 4 items blink goes on b always. T neutral item

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

I like scroll up/down for my neutral/tp

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
And $ is for midas

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Outside key bindings, I think setting quickcast (on key down) has really helped my game. Just makes everything feel 100x more responsive. I had tried keeping regular cast or "on key up" on aoe spells like Lina's stun and Void ult, but honestly it feels even easier to hit these on quickcast, your brain quickly figures out what the aoe is and you just cast it instead of trying to line the enemy up in the aoe indicator.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Beef posted:

And $ is for midas

Hell yeah.. Can I have item specific keybind

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Beef posted:

And $ is for midas

Reference in my post earlier in case people missed it. Slacks telling Purge during his training what his binds were. One of the best moments in dota history.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I decided way back when hotkeys were created to do:

alt+q, alt+w, alt+e
alt+a, alt+s, alt+d

for all item hotkeys and it works very well and I've never felt like I needed to update

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just had a couple wild back to back games. First I got offlane, everything I play was banned/picked so I figured I'd try BB, and it did not go well. We got mega dumpstered in lane, but I think it was because I had a P4 Omni, and we got off to a bad start. Our Safelane kept voice chatting/all chatting how bad I was, which i don't mind but it was a rough game. Is there a guide or build on how to build? I followed the Tortellini BB guide, which says to buy Arcanes, I guess so you can spam Quills, but man that set the Life Stealer (named cat poo) off really badly. Anyways, we sort of evened it out and got a few good fights but just couldn't overcome and we lost.

I chain queued, and got that same guy, but this time I was P4, and he was Offlane. He toxic chatted all draft randomed Batrider offlane, but since I got Hoodwink I slapped. I ended like 10/8/30, and he was 1/10/4 or something stupid, and I only saw him ult twice, both times on a 1hp Razor that I had bushwacked and was going to kill anyways. We dominated all game while he just sort of flew around the map doing nothing.

End of the game, I had 47k damage, 600GPM, and he was at 15K damage, 250 GPM, with just blink, force staff, and he finished Bongo Boots as we were getting megas.

We had the game end bug where you can't see end game chat, but I was hoping I'd get to talk some trash to him.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I decided way back when hotkeys were created to do:

alt+q, alt+w, alt+e
alt+a, alt+s, alt+d

for all item hotkeys and it works very well and I've never felt like I needed to update

found the hon player

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just had a couple wild back to back games. First I got offlane, everything I play was banned/picked so I figured I'd try BB, and it did not go well. We got mega dumpstered in lane, but I think it was because I had a P4 Omni, and we got off to a bad start. Our Safelane kept voice chatting/all chatting how bad I was, which i don't mind but it was a rough game. Is there a guide or build on how to build? I followed the Tortellini BB guide, which says to buy Arcanes, I guess so you can spam Quills, but man that set the Life Stealer (named cat poo) off really badly. Anyways, we sort of evened it out and got a few good fights but just couldn't overcome and we lost

vanguard -> arcanes lets you sustain yourself in lane, double melee lane is always rough as BB isn't strong early against harass, but you can get some farm with quills, if the lane is tough stack camps for yourself to kill at level 7+, rush your aghs scepter as this allows you to turbo farm and turn up to a teamfight and demolish the enemy if they're not paying attention, then get the spell lifesteal mask and finish off bloodstone, then your aghs shard. once you get shard you are basically good to go just run at the enemy, cover them in goo and quills and if they go on you turn your back. item wise after the shard you can go blademail if they have ranged DPS like sniper, or just heart if you think you can farm it fast and become a walking wall, or sange/kaya for more damage (which leads to more lifesteal). the level 20 quill spray damage talent makes you basically unkillable unless they have several forms of break and they catch you in a bad position.

if you're getting broken a lot buy a windwaker or a linkens

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

NtotheTC posted:

vanguard -> arcanes lets you sustain yourself in lane, double melee lane is always rough as BB isn't strong early against harass, but you can get some farm with quills, if the lane is tough stack camps for yourself to kill at level 7+, rush your aghs scepter as this allows you to turbo farm and turn up to a teamfight and demolish the enemy if they're not paying attention, then get the spell lifesteal mask and finish off bloodstone, then your aghs shard. once you get shard you are basically good to go just run at the enemy, cover them in goo and quills and if they go on you turn your back. item wise after the shard you can go blademail if they have ranged DPS like sniper, or just heart if you think you can farm it fast and become a walking wall, or sange/kaya for more damage (which leads to more lifesteal). the level 20 quill spray damage talent makes you basically unkillable unless they have several forms of break and they catch you in a bad position.

if you're getting broken a lot buy a windwaker or a linkens

Good advice. The Omni was pushing the lane a lot which made the lanes hard. They had sage lane Abandon and Warlock I believe. I couldn't man against the Abba because he kept cursing me and my quills procced the shield. With the warlock soup and curse I just couldn't sustain. Omni did good to keep healing but I'd rather I was pulling and.

What are the right boots if not mana boots? Are you supposed to get phase boots? It seems like suicide to run in early.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

can always just stay brown boots

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Mana boots are fine on bristle. A couple of casts of it and using ur skills with the mana will cost their 1 more than 600 gold

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

you get arcanes and mainline clarities until the enemy safelane gives up and fucks off, then you get whatever gives you spell lifesteal these days and dump the rest of the gold you get in the game into whatever makes it as hard as possible for the other team to kill you. And an aghs if that's still good

the ideal is that their entire team kicking your rear end 5v1 ends with them dying before you do, and also that when they realize that it's too late for them to run because they've all been slowed to poo poo

in practice they will usually figure out that they have to stun you and walk around to your front at which point you will die

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I love lotus orb on bristle

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

NtotheTC posted:

found the hon player

Hell yeah. I think at one point dota 2 had a keybind setting called heroes of newerth so new players could migrate and quickly bind to what they knew. Same with league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Tinker feels awful now with the reduced range on missile. Dr Kleiner didn't deserve this.

He's legitimately unplayable to me, a guy who played/spammed Tinker since dota 1.

Thanks Reddit. I hope they ruin a hero I hate next, like Siren.