Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be honest that's not really any less silly than literally anything else about Cybertronian anatomy.

it rocks that they have souls and know that their God is real but humans are still left guessing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol alex garland

https://twitter.com/firewalkwjaime/status/1777522943053922530

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heard something about antifa being mentioned in the movie and, well, lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Srice posted:

Heard something about antifa being mentioned in the movie and, well, lol

There is something called the "antifa massacre" that happens when the coup starts. It goes untold if antifa killed people or antifa were killed.

A couple reviews I read kept saying the movie is very hamfisted at times.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

There is something called the "antifa massacre" that happens when the coup starts. It goes untold if antifa killed people or antifa were killed.

A couple reviews I read kept saying the movie is very hamfisted at times.

Yea. I'll likely still see it since I am a bit interested in seeing how it pans out, but at least I've heard enough to know to keep my expectations in check.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm disappointed that Garland is legitimizing Turkish State media by using their footage

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah I've heard some good buzz but everyone agrees the backstory makes no sense

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I've heard some good buzz but everyone agrees the backstory makes no sense
It's told from the perspective of journalists right? Perhaps it is a case of an unreliable narrator, and it's supposed to their entirely flawed understanding of events.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Mingella version is very much playing on the tragedy of the closet, and while there's still some of that here the focus is very different. The adaptation also returns Ripley's object fetishism (non sexual) from the novel, which I thought was good.

the Minghella version is honestly a pretty bad Ripley adaptation.

the good ones in descending order are Purple Noon, The American Friend, and Ripley's Game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's told from the perspective of journalists right? Perhaps it is a case of an unreliable narrator, and it's supposed to their entirely flawed understanding of events.

No. The interviews with Garland abput the movie make it clear he is stupid.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the good ones in descending order are Purple Noon, The American Friend, and Ripley's Game

i've seen a few people say this... is this bc of changes from the source material?

i've never read it but the movie is enjoyable enough so I'm just wondering what makes it bad

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

“That violence, in Garland’s imagined near-future, begins when California and Texas secede from the Union and form a military known simply as the “Western Forces,” hellbent on marching to Washington D.C. and taking down an autocratic President (Nick Offerman) who’s already talked his way into a third term and is preparing to declare victory even as the White House becomes increasingly encircled by the enemy. But Civil War is not about the military, or the President, or the origins of this particular conflict, because Garland knows that a 2024 audience is smart enough to draw their own conclusions on those fronts.”

e: Every review mentions the :siren: Third Term :siren: in horror, which really encapsulates the limits of liberal political imagination imo

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Apr 9, 2024

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

yeah this. it’s not even questionable at this point

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The original book is a bit difficult to film. It's very internal - Ripley is a seething mass of insecurities and fears, with his thoughts running all over the place. That's very hard to put on screen, although the current release comes close with lots of awkward silences and the leads twitchy and slightly stiff manner. Minghella doesn't try to show that, with the result that Ripley comes off as being more ... calculating, cold, more of a ruthless killer?

I like the Minghella version nonetheless. Decisions had to be made to translate page to screen and it made certain ones.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol redditt:

If all the movie has to say is "civil wars suck" then I expect it to be a disappointment if I were to watch it. As a historian or analyst it wouldn't satisfy me one bit. I already hate most movies about the first civil war because they do not properly explore the politics and strategic decisions of the players involved.

How did American democracy fall in this movie? How does that connect to 2020? The 2020 election was not stolen, the arguments that it was are absurd and don't stand up to even light scrutiny, the "patriotic rebels" who attacked the Capitol on Jan 6 were jeopardizing the very thing they thought they were saving. The mess America is in right now is down to a lack of critical thinking skills and civic knowledge in the people, particularly when it comes to figuring out what motivates people. Does the movie address that? Also, the rich and powerful have nothing to gain in a civil war right now, civil wars don't happen because a few stupid peasants are mad. Wars are attempts to solve political problems, so if the movie has no political analysis then it means nothing. I don't want to watch yet another movie that is just about people being cruel or sad.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

A Buttery Pastry posted:

lol if only

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the american friend is by far the best one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I mean he's not really wrong about the political climate but civil wars are cruel and sad. Watch Battle for Algiers or something

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the milk machine posted:

i've seen a few people say this... is this bc of changes from the source material?

i've never read it but the movie is enjoyable enough so I'm just wondering what makes it bad

Yes and no? None of the three i mentioned are strictly faithful to the novels, but I feel like they all do a better job of adapting Ripley as a character. He's supposed to be a charming sociopath and instead Matt Damon plays him as an awkward nerd - granted, The Talented Mr. Ripley is the first Ripley novel so he is still sort of finding his way in that one, but he's still supposed to be someone that you'd understand why a rich playboy would enjoy having him around, and I don't think the take on him in that movie sells that aspect at all. He's too mopey.

Jude Law and Philip Seymour Hoffman are both great in it though, so it's not without its charms.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

AV club: “The white-hot nucleus of this core is, as Garland has already made clear in interviews, the importance of a free press willing to do the hard work, get deep into the blood and guts, and document the reality of the moment. Simple as that idea might seem, Garland makes it clear through every image that the heroes of Civil War are making very deliberate, very dangerous choices along the way. Jessie, Lee, Joel, and Sammy might be occasional adrenaline junkies, even old hats at this sort of thing, but the experience of relentless observation and documentation has changed them, warped them, challenged their humanity. Garland goes to great lengths to document those challenges in ways both subtle and obvious. The film doesn’t choose sides, nor does it need to, because it’s not about the sides. It’s about the unflinching reality of such a moment, highlighted by the brief respites from the violence peppered throughout the narrative; that’s what makes Civil War an especially disturbing piece of thriller filmmaking.”

If only there was some sort of conflict now we could use to judge the courage and determination of our heroes in the free press…

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think the Minghella version is particularly bad, as a film. It's certainly the best possible gay psycho killer film starring Hollywood stars that you could probably make in the 90s. Compare it with Single White Female, for instance.

(It's also probably Paltrow's best performance -- that I've seen anyway.)

It's got different concerns to the novel though

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tristeham posted:

the american friend is by far the best one

The American Friend fuckin rocks. Easily my favorite of the Wim Wenders movies i've seen by a huge margin (i haven't seen Paris Texas though)

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

AV club: “The white-hot nucleus of this core is, as Garland has already made clear in interviews, the importance of a free press willing to do the hard work, get deep into the blood and guts, and document the reality of the moment. Simple as that idea might seem, Garland makes it clear through every image that the heroes of Civil War are making very deliberate, very dangerous choices along the way. Jessie, Lee, Joel, and Sammy might be occasional adrenaline junkies, even old hats at this sort of thing, but the experience of relentless observation and documentation has changed them, warped them, challenged their humanity. Garland goes to great lengths to document those challenges in ways both subtle and obvious. The film doesn’t choose sides, nor does it need to, because it’s not about the sides. It’s about the unflinching reality of such a moment, highlighted by the brief respites from the violence peppered throughout the narrative; that’s what makes Civil War an especially disturbing piece of thriller filmmaking.”

If only there was some sort of conflict now we could use to judge the courage and determination of our heroes in the free press…

The only thing worse than movies where Hollywood jerks itself off are ones where it jerks off journalism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nucleic Acids posted:

The only thing worse than movies where Hollywood jerks itself off are ones where it jerks off journalism.

the metoo movie that released when metoo was already co-opted and destroyed

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Lmao does the movie seriously loving "both sides" a hypothetical civil war

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The American Friend fuckin rocks. Easily my favorite of the Wim Wenders movies i've seen by a huge margin (i haven't seen Paris Texas though)

the best wenders are the german ones (alice in the cities, kings of the road). apart from paris texas he starts to lose it in the eighties.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the scene where dennis hopper (as ripley) is taking photos of himself on the pool table is incredible

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csDh78DkV-0

bedpan has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Apr 9, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It sounds like epic liberal paranoia and I'm excited to watch it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

tristeham posted:

the best wenders are the german ones (alice in the cities, kings of the road). apart from paris texas he starts to lose it in the eighties.

i've seen Alice in the Cities, that one was good. i kind of hate Wings of Desire which i know is not a popular opinion.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
*opening credits TS Elliot-style quote* DEMOCRACY DIES IN DARKNESS *fades to black*

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
theres only room for one Ripley in my heart and she's canonically(???) dead

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nucleic Acids posted:

Movies about Hollywood are actually ftw. Perish!!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've only seen Perfect Days and I thought it was good.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

they should have given Civil War to Paul Verhoeven, the director who best understands the american psyche

also squibs a plenty

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mr Hootington posted:

the most unreliable narrator of all

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

e: Every review mentions the :siren: Third Term :siren: in horror, which really encapsulates the limits of liberal political imagination imo

flashback to that being why Evo morales was obviously a dictator who must be toppled. the fact that Bolivia explicitly legalized an extra term democratically was just proof of his turn to authoritarianism.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I thought this was hyperbolic until I saw Helen Lewis writes for the Atlantic.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I wonder why this show has a nazi fanbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lol why do nazis love smiling friends

god drat it