Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They made some really weird choices. Most of it appears to be shot with some kind of anamorphic lens and a vignette style around the edges with blurring. And that's on top of the really strong film grain effect over everything. I don't understand why. The production values on this show are incredible but it looks like total poo poo. It objectively looks worse in 4K than 1080 due to all the film grain.

The Ringer had a piece on this: https://www.theringer.com/tv/2024/4/8/24124015/shogun-cinematography-tv-background-blur-anamorphic-lens-effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The distortion and vignette I can understand as an artistic choice. But the film grain absolutely ruins the look when you are watching on large, high quality 4K screen. It looks like something shot on lovely film in the 70's (I guess Apocalypse Now really was their inspiration).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can’t tell if shogun is a bad show that’s really good or a good show that’s really bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

Can’t tell if shogun is a bad show that’s really good or a good show that’s really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

It certainly feels less than the sum of it's parts.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah tbh it’s not blowing me away despite what must be high production values.

It doesn’t help that Blackthorne is such a tool. He looks like a bootleg Seth Rogen and sounds like a bootleg Tom Hardy. The character is written to be stupid beyond belief. At a certain point (like the end of the first week) you’d think he’d understand the gravity of his situation and stop being such a bumble gently caress.

I get that the show wants him to be a fish out of water, but it’s too much.

I’m still enjoying the show, on the whole, though :)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Like how he’s speaking Japanese now

He definitely delivers all his lines like he’s comic relief.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

My screen in black except for a few ovals of fire and a whisper of a white V from a kimono.

Like what the gently caress.

Nov 6, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

It doesn’t help that Blackthorne is such a tool. He looks like a bootleg Seth Rogen and sounds like a bootleg Tom Hardy. The character is written to be stupid beyond belief. At a certain point (like the end of the first week) you’d think he’d understand the gravity of his situation and stop being such a bumble gently caress.

Apparently this was a choice made by the creators of the show to avoid him appearing as a white savior.

But the problem is, he's so loud and incompetent it's hard to swallow Toranaga keeping him around.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He does something with cannons.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I’m on a plane and someone in front of me is watching the new Aquaman. It looks like poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

He does something with cannons.

Basic geometry I think? Which I kinda think Japan would know by this point in time.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This Shogun show is dimly lit and low contrast.

Half the scenes feel like they were produced by the same team that did the zombie winterfell episode.

Hard to see!

That's just what Japan looked like before anime

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Freaquency posted:

I’m on a plane and someone in front of me is watching the new Aquaman. It looks like poo poo.

It so loving bad lmao

Nov 6, 2002

Perfect airplane movie tho.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

T-Square posted:

It appears the iOS BBCode shortcut is borked, SB confirm or deny?

Yeah, I think Imgur changed something a few weeks ago. Try this. It’s not Imgur but it should work (at least it did last time I tried it).

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a7f168a6c2a342c58205b5005b59ec3f

I found it in one of the iPhone threads, all thanks to them.

Let me confirm that it still works first with my lunch.

Edit: it works.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That's just what Japan looked like before anime

Captain Blackthorne after the invention of anime:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Einstein's pathology came back and he is cancer free! He is gonna live forever!!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

Einstein's pathology came back and he is cancer free! He is gonna live forever!!

Hell yeah!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

swickles posted:

gently caress yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

swickles posted:

Hell yeah Swickles, that’s great news!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

gently caress. Yes.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I once knew a friend of a friend who had a nice doggy named Einstein. I lost track of her when my friend and I kinda cut off our relationship and so in my head, that doggo is still alive, you know? I never heard otherwise so as far as I'm concerned there's a blond golden retriever named Einstein living in santa cruz who is like 20 years old by now and is permanently alive

swickles I'm very happy for your Einstein too

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

Yeah, I think Imgur changed something a few weeks ago. Try this. It’s not Imgur but it should work (at least it did last time I tried it).

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a7f168a6c2a342c58205b5005b59ec3f

I found it in one of the iPhone threads, all thanks to them.

Let me confirm that it still works first with my lunch.

Edit: it works.

TY once again! And nice lunch :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

:hellyeah:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

swickles posted:

AWESOME!!

Meanwhile I just dropped $7k for Little Bear's knee surgery next week. Poor guy had the left leg done two years ago and we get to go through all that recovery and rehab again :(

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
My work playlist started off with some bangers this morning and got me thinking about cover songs that are as good or better than the original. Paramore's cover of a Drake song sparked the thought. Lauryn Hill's cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You is also up there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Just lol if anyone thinks this is a serious country

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1777746045838991714

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My work playlist started off with some bangers this morning and got me thinking about cover songs that are as good or better than the original. Paramore's cover of a Drake song sparked the thought. Lauryn Hill's cover of Can't Take My Eyes Off of You is also up there.

Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower is so good a lot of people don't even know it's a Dylan song. There's a fair few songs like that right, where the cover is what got famous?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was a cover

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Devo's cover of the Rolling Stones (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction is my pick.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Leperflesh posted:

Jimi Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower is so good a lot of people don't even know it's a Dylan song. There's a fair few songs like that right, where the cover is what got famous?

Oh that's a good one. Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold the World is another on that a lot of people don't know is a cover as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I completely unironically love Shatner's cover of Common People.

I think a lot of people probably didn't realize the version of Mad World from Donnie Darko was a cover.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
the knife's cover of Heartbeats

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Just lol if anyone thinks this is a serious country

https://x.com/kylegriffin1/status/1777746045838991714

As always, Florida one ups them in unseriousness

https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1777701908314009923?t=ZBqSkR30uhepf7HVOZ9xgA&s=19

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
House of the Rising Sun is a folk song, so maybe it doesn’t count, but The Animals’ version is absolutely iconic.

Nov 6, 2002

one bourbon one scotch one beer

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh that's a good one. Nirvana's cover of Man Who Sold the World is another on that a lot of people don't know is a cover as well.

That’s a great one. I love the live version from the Live in NY album.

Hurt by Johnny Cash is another one

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Johnny Cash's "Hurt" cover rules e: :argh:

rjmccall posted:

House of the Rising Sun is a folk song, so maybe it doesn’t count, but The Animals’ version is absolutely iconic.

Yeah I've always loved that song. If we're counting old folk/blues songs that someone else popularized though the list is going to get very very long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, there’s a few old folk or blues songs where the original is semi obscure and there’s usually a far more famous rock version, such as Thin Lizzy’s version of Whiskey in the Jar, Van Halen’s cover of Ice Cream Man, or probably the most famous version of Crossroads being the one by Cream, to the point a lot of people don’t know it’s a cover.