Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Specifically from defending Weisselberg.

I wonder if this is the same situation as that young woman who was assistant to the chief of staff who found out that her lawyer was actually screwing her over and giving all her information to team Trump? Is Weisselberg about to turn on Trump now that he has an independent lawyer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Cimber posted:

I wonder if this is the same situation as that young woman who was assistant to the chief of staff who found out that her lawyer was actually screwing her over and giving all her information to team Trump? Is Weisselberg about to turn on Trump now that he has an independent lawyer?

Cassidy Hutchinson.

And I suppose that’s possible, but Weisselberg has had many, many opportunities to flip so I’m highly skeptical. Dude already went to motherfucking Rikers for Trump.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

cr0y posted:

Habba out

https://www.rawstory.com/alina-habba-2667719905/

I am sure she thought she was the special one who would melt trumps nonexistent heart and would rise to the Pinnacle of financial and political power.

Literally no one could have possibly predicted this.

She is still Trump's lawyer, this isn't about Trump.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

Cassidy Hutchinson.

And I suppose that’s possible, but Weisselberg has had many, many opportunities to flip so I’m highly skeptical. Dude already went to motherfucking Rikers for Trump.

Weisselberg took a severence payout which was basically "have a bunch of money if you don't snitch". He's an old man, has had a good life covering up for Donnie and now wants his kids and grandkids to benefit from his ill gotten gains.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kchama posted:

She is still Trump's lawyer, this isn't about Trump.

Right. But it certainly looks like Weiselberg is about to pull the old, “your honor, my lawyer told me to say those lies while under oath” defense.

Edit: Also Smith has filed his SCOTUS brief on why presidents don’t have absolute immunity.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23-939/306999/20240408191803801_United%20States%20v.%20Trump%20final%20for%20filing.pdf

Murgos fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 9, 2024

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Murgos posted:

Right. But it certainly looks like Weiselberg is about to pull the old, “your honor, my lawyer told me to say those lies while under oath” defense.

Edit: Also Smith has filed his SCOTUS brief on why presidents don’t have absolute immunity.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/23/23-939/306999/20240408191803801_United%20States%20v.%20Trump%20final%20for%20filing.pdf

That's true. I was just contesting the original report since they ended their sentence as "out" to imply that she was out as Trump's lawyer.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

If he continues to commit fraud at each level of his fraud trial, the number of frauds between frauds will trend upwards and eventually diverge to infinity, creating a Zeno's paradox of fraud trials that can never actually be completed in a finite time

Thankfully calculus has demonstrated that you can (sometimes) take infinite sums and get finite results

However I fully expect Trump's frauds to be the type to mathematically diverge to infinity

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just saw on Bing that they are preparing to seize Trump properties.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Lammasu posted:

I wonder if Donny will secure another bullshit bond from a different insurer at the last second. And I bet the court would still accept it. And then when they find out the bond is fraudulent again then the cycle can continue

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lammasu posted:

I didn't see anything that was backed by an actual judges decision, I'd love to be wrong. The hearing for him to explain why his bond is all bullshit isn't for another 2 weeks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a lot of preparing they can do without the court actually deciding that Trump has failed to post a bond, so they can be ready for the go-ahead order. They've probably been preparing for seizure since the verdict was entered

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Lammasu posted:

They are not. There's some bad headlines going around based on blog posts written about twitter lawyers talking about how awful the $175M bond documentation is, see earlier in the thread. The hearing is on the 22nd.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

DarkHorse posted:

Thankfully calculus has demonstrated that you can (sometimes) take infinite sums and get finite results

However I fully expect Trump's frauds to be the type to mathematically diverge to infinity
Trump brings in expert testimony on why he actually owes -1/12 of a dollar

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

haveblue posted:

There's a lot of preparing they can do without the court actually deciding that Trump has failed to post a bond, so they can be ready for the go-ahead order. They've probably been preparing for seizure since the verdict was entered

The judge has a special gavel, that he will use to end the trial if the appeal is denied. Upon impact with the sound block, a Bluetooth piece inside the gavel sends out an SMS to a team of tactical accountants which instructs them to immediately start seizing assets.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Judicial drone-based appropriation. Just a line of floating drones in and out of all Trump properties. Each drone has some gaudy babble or knicknack or classified doc hanging from a claw.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

SpeakSlow posted:

Judicial drone-based appropriation. Just a line of floating drones in and out of all Trump properties. Each drone has some gaudy babble or knicknack or classified doc hanging from a claw.

Fishing for Donnies

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

DarkHorse posted:

Fishing for Donnies

Except it's "Fishing With John", that HBO show from the late 90s, but instead of John Lurie it's Trump and instead of cool people like Tom Waits and Jim Jarmusch he has Stephen Miller and Rudy

"Fishing... with Don"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Except it's "Fishing With John", that HBO show from the late 90s, but instead of John Lurie it's Trump and instead of cool people like Tom Waits and Jim Jarmusch he has Stephen Miller and Rudy

"Fishing... with Don"

I sincerely thought I was the only the person who watched that show.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Gyges posted:

The judge has a special gavel, that he will use to end the trial if the appeal is denied. Upon impact with the sound block, a Bluetooth piece inside the gavel sends out an SMS to a team of tactical accountants which instructs them to immediately start seizing assets.
I have a BBA with a minor in accounting, where do I sign up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Islamic Shock posted:

If you didn't have the brain chip ceremony at graduation, contact your advisor immediately

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

The Islamic Shock posted:

I think I found the place.

https://ag.ny.gov/job-postings

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Looks like the fraud jobs are all about Medicaid

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So are they making Trump actually attend every day of his trial

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So are they making Trump actually attend every day of his trial

I've been wondering the same. Legally, my understanding is he's required to unless the court basically writes him a note.

I'm assuming that not showing up to your own fraud trial would send a bad message to the jury and might not be advisable, but so is being Donald Trump so who knows what's tactically best on his end.

I think that's currently a big ol' ???????????????? both in terms of what Trump should/wants to do and what he's going to be allowed to do. I doubt Merchan particularly wants him in the courtroom, but what the hell do I know, I'm just an idiot on the internet.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've been wondering the same. Legally, my understanding is he's required to unless the court basically writes him a note.

It's way more complicated than that. He has a right to be present, which he can waive, but there may also be requirements that he be present, depending.

See https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/does-donald-trump-have-to-attend-his-own-trial

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

It's way more complicated than that. He has a right to be present, which he can waive, but there may also be requirements that he be present, depending.

See https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/does-donald-trump-have-to-attend-his-own-trial

"(C) when the court warns the defendant that it will remove the defendant from the courtroom for disruptive behavior, but the defendant persists in conduct that justifies removal from the courtroom."

Hmm... I can guess which of these clauses may soon be tested.

(edit: "It is conceivable that a defendant could run for high office while on trial and through speech and action strain to show due respect for both obligations. It is not conceivable that Trump could." Heh.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 9, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O good to know! Thanks.

I always like to know when I'm making false assumptions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

O good to know! Thanks.

I always like to know when I'm making false assumptions.

It's an interesting area of law, honestly. One level it's your trial and you're the star and toure presumed innocent and you don't have to testify and if you don't want to be there that's your dumb choice.

On the other hand the state has a lot of interest in not giving you a chance to run off, your bond is over because that was until trial and trial has begun, arguably you need to be in custody until there is a verdict.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump makes new law here.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If I was a judge presiding over a Trump case, him not being there would be a huge win. He's shown himself to be a badly behaved toddler who has zero impulse control.

Independence
Jul 12, 2006

The Wriggler

Pablo Bluth posted:

If I was a judge presiding over a Trump case, him not being there would be a huge win. He's shown himself to be a badly behaved toddler who has zero impulse control.

Him being in court is exactly what he DOESN"T want so him being in court and miserable away from the cameras is a huge win for the judge.

he can cry about how unfair it is for the cameras as long as he has to sit there for 7 hours in the soiled diapers, dreaming about revenge or hamberders or whatever.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Has he been poorly behaved inside the court? Everything I've seen has been him acting out in social media, rallies, non-court settings. I could believe he's less interested in causing a scene where there's no cameras, etc., for him to directly address his supporters.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

PharmerBoy posted:

Has he been poorly behaved inside the court? Everything I've seen has been him acting out in social media, rallies, non-court settings. I could believe he's less interested in causing a scene where there's no cameras, etc., for him to directly address his supporters.

Yes actually during the engoron trial he got pretty lippy and tried to grandstand after repeated denials from the judge. Tried to pull a speech out of his pocket and launch into it. Even if there aren’t cameras in the room he knows the media is watching and I think he relishes that in an all publicity is good publicity sense. Aping for the media and his base during his legal proceedings is arguably what rallied and wrapped up his nomination though in truth it was probably overdetermined.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Trump will not being having his trial delayed again, he just got slapped down by an NYS appeals judge : https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/09/nyregion/trump-hush-money-trial-judge.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

The rest of the article is already well known so I’m not bothering to copy-paste it. She just gave him a big ol’ “lol no” to him asking to delay while he sues the judge.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump makes new law here.

Hopefully we don't have a lot of citations to 'presidential candidate criminal trial precedent' in the future.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Stick him in one of those glass boxes like they do in Russia but make it sound and smell proof.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
He also just walked out from fraud case in the middle of closing arguments (?) To make some tweets about the judge's clerk again. I don't remember the exact scenario, but he's definitely a huge liability to his own case whenever he's actually there in court.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

PharmerBoy posted:

Citizen Trump got called out numerous times by Judge Engoron for not being quiet, disrupting proceedings, going off topic during his time on the witness stand, and finally wasn't allowed to make a closing statement because Citizen Trump wouldn't agree to staying on topic during it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Maybe this is dumb but if SCOTUS were to rule that the president enjoys even modest immunity to criminal prosecution due to implied article II powers then that seems to be also potentially enjoining the power of congress to impeach a president.

It seems to me to be too fine a line for there to be acts which assume some level of implied constitutionally protected status but that you can be impeached for.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Murgos posted:

Maybe this is dumb but if SCOTUS were to rule that the president enjoys even modest immunity to criminal prosecution due to implied article II powers then that seems to be also potentially enjoining the power of congress to impeach a president.

It seems to me to be too fine a line for there to be acts which assume some level of implied constitutionally protected status but that you can be impeached for.

Yeah like if you are immune to crimes unless this group of 100ish people vote to stop you, what happens if you just kill those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's not technically inconsistent because impeachment is not prosecution. But the president being immune to criminal prosecution does open a lot of doors to impeding impeachment as a practical matter

Also I don't think whether or not the president is, on paper, immune to criminal prosecution is really a consideration if we're at the point where purging congress is on the table