Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I started back up too.

God, I love the Mystic Grove biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

RocketMermaid posted:

/edit: Also, the Matter Fabrication CPU is a pain to craft but it rules. Absolute champion of UU-Matter.

/double edit: Quote is not edit. :v:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

RocketMermaid posted:

I really want to settle here but there isn't a drop of oil anywhere. Very sad.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I really want to settle here but there isn't a drop of oil anywhere. Very sad.

That's normal. Having to travel to get oil isn't much of an inconvenience since there are very good forms of portable liquid storage. Even buildcraft tanks on dollies works well, if you have a horse. Later on you can even make long distance pipelines that transfer oil instantly!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fun fact - remember that "curseforge compromised" malware thing from like June last year?

astral posted:

One affected person said they had a known issue with an infected minecraft mod stealing credentials; based on the hit/miss rate of the bad actor(s) who accessed the affected accounts, it had to be something along those lines.

it might be behind all those strange Djasual Dating spambot attacks that's been hitting the forums these past couple months

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

boys its almost time for steel, just gathering the last bit of poo poo i need to make the BBF

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rynoto posted:

I'd personally suggest creating a brand new instance with the version you want and copying all the files listed here: GTNH wiki. That'll get you your entire save working and you'll have the old instance as a backup in case something breaks.

This worked a treat, by the way. Thanks for the link.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ah, Stone Age GTNH. Things are simpler here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... why is your house made out of dirt and unprocessed I think that's bamboo?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Zereth posted:

... why is your house made out of dirt and unprocessed I think that's bamboo?

Bamboo is an excellent building material, as long as you have absolutely no aesthetic sense whatsoever and the concept of beauty is completely alien to you. Bamboo grows super fast, forms mob-proof walls despite its appearance, and it treecapitates itself if you punch out the bottom. The only downside, besides being ugly as sin, is that it has to have a dirt block under the bottom-most bamboo block (hence the dirt.)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I've looking at all the gregtech variants, there a good one that's come out in the past year or so? hoping for one on like 1.16+ if possible.

American Dad
Mar 28, 2004
Moved and automated my assembly line, and got the stuff I needed for the Random Crap (hafnium, rhenium) so now I'm ready to make a sparge tower! Project for tomorrow.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god work is so busy and all i can think about is getting my BBF finished

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Congrats on almost finishing your BBF! Once it's done, you can start work on your second, third and fourth BBFs! Here's a tip, you can make a quad-BBF with about 3 BBF's worth of firebricks if you build it smartly. Also, if you haven't disabled pollution you should build them in the Nether.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I've looking at all the gregtech variants, there a good one that's come out in the past year or so? hoping for one on like 1.16+ if possible.

Also curious about Gregtech variants after bouncing off NH. Really enjoyed SevTech Ages years ago but stuff like two planks per log is hosed up imo. Liked the different recipes and how the very early game uses flint but some stuff feels like it hates my time for the sake of it, or to make later automation feel more rewarding.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 9, 2024

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Heran Bago posted:

Also curious about Gregtech variants after bouncing off NH. Really enjoyed SevTech Ages years ago but stuff like two planks per log is hosed up imo. Loked the different recipes and how the very early game uses flint but some stuff feels like it hates my time for the sake of it, or to make later automation feel more rewarding.

yeah ive found it like, here's a problem we created, now you can grind to solve it

but that activates the neurons so hard in my brain so i love it so far lol

im gonna turn off pollution, is that just a config edit? I was going to turn off infernal/special mobs but so far they've really caused me no issues at all and are kinda fun

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 9, 2024

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

queeb posted:

im gonna turn off pollution, is that just a config edit?

yeah, config/GregTech/GregTech.cfg, search in the file for "pollution"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Heran Bago posted:

Also curious about Gregtech variants after bouncing off NH. Really enjoyed SevTech Ages years ago but stuff like two planks per log is hosed up imo. Liked the different recipes and how the very early game uses flint but some stuff feels like it hates my time for the sake of it, or to make later automation feel more rewarding.
I'll definitely recommend Nomifactory every time it comes up. Maybe Nomifactory CEu, which is harder in some ways, easier in others, but generally has more polish at least.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
For the bbf do you really have to just mine a ton of gypsum macerate and hope for the 10% dust drop or am I missing something? Calculating about 4 stacks of gypsum ore needed on average?

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Vib Rib posted:

I'll definitely recommend Nomifactory every time it comes up. Maybe Nomifactory CEu, which is harder in some ways, easier in others, but generally has more polish at least.

I'll second Nomifactory. It gives you a lot of qol to help with the more insane grindy parts, especially in the early game. But it is still a complicated tech pack where automation is key. CEu seems to be the suggested version these days but regular Nomi is still very good. Play on Dev.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

30.5 Days posted:

For the bbf do you really have to just mine a ton of gypsum macerate and hope for the 10% dust drop or am I missing something? Calculating about 4 stacks of gypsum ore needed on average?

It should be quite a bit less than that, 72 dusts total or 36 ore if you macerate it. Don't forget that you can clean dusts (up to a stack at a time) by physically throwing them into a full vanilla cauldron.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

That 10% dust chance is the chance of extra dust from processing it through a (HV or better) macerator. You get 1:1 at the bare minimum. Should be 1:2 if you do the basic macerate, hammer, wash route i think.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Don't forget that you can clean dusts (up to a stack at a time) by physically throwing them into a full vanilla cauldron.

Wait what? That's not in nei!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

30.5 Days posted:

Wait what? That's not in nei!

Doesn't impure dust say you can in the tooltip?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh maybe they tell you if you find redstone? I got my red alloy from a Simon says game

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

Doesn't impure dust say you can in the tooltip?

lmao you're absolutely right

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

30.5 Days posted:

Oh maybe they tell you if you find redstone? I got my red alloy from a Simon says game

yeah, the redstone ore quest in stone age details the process as well

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
If you're learning gtnh, absolutely read the full text of every question because there is a ton of otherwise not-explained knowledge that most seasoned players just take for granted.

Make sure to build a forestry worktable (several, really). When you're making the actual firebricks you need concrete buckets. Crafting the bricks and concrete is painful in a crafting table or station, but the worktable remembers recipes and draws from its internal inventory. Dump water buckets and 1 empty in, shift click concrete, click firebrick recipe, shift click to get bricks. You still need to refill the water buckets but it saves hundreds of clicks and lots of time.

The worktable are also excellent for all the motors and pistons and stuff. My main work area has one worktable per voltage tier so I can just dump the rods and wires and stuff in and get motors and such out.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The worktable are also excellent for all the motors and pistons and stuff. My main work area has one worktable per voltage tier so I can just dump the rods and wires and stuff in and get motors and such out.

Well gently caress me. That's brilliant

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

SynthesisAlpha posted:

If you're learning gtnh, absolutely read the full text of every question because there is a ton of otherwise not-explained knowledge that most seasoned players just take for granted.

Make sure to build a forestry worktable (several, really). When you're making the actual firebricks you need concrete buckets. Crafting the bricks and concrete is painful in a crafting table or station, but the worktable remembers recipes and draws from its internal inventory. Dump water buckets and 1 empty in, shift click concrete, click firebrick recipe, shift click to get bricks. You still need to refill the water buckets but it saves hundreds of clicks and lots of time.

Very good point re: Worktables. Watch Threefold do his initial BBF with them to get how much time savings it is.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Kyrosiris posted:

Very good point re: Worktables. Watch Threefold do his initial BBF with them to get how much time savings it is.
The most obnoxious part of these recipes, for me, was actually dealing with the water and concrete buckets, having to constantly move those in and out. Looks like the workbenches still require that step.

Well, that and I had a hard time getting gypsum, since I think it's the rare element in those deposits?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Vib Rib posted:

The most obnoxious part of these recipes, for me, was actually dealing with the water and concrete buckets, having to constantly move those in and out. Looks like the workbenches still require that step.

Well, that and I had a hard time getting gypsum, since I think it's the rare element in those deposits?

The worktable helps alleviate the manual moving of buckets and swapping recipes. If you make like, 9 buckets and fill 8 with water, you just hold shift and sweep them all into the worktable, click the saved concrete recipe, then shift click to get 8 concrete buckets which dump into the worktable inventory. One click to swap to the saved firebrick recipe (or just import it from NEI), and shift click and you just made 8 firebricks. It's still not a small amount of manual work but it's vastly easier and faster than moving buckets one at a time because of their wretched unstackability.

Also yeah gypsum and calcite are both the rare elements in mineral sand / lapis veins. Once you get a BBF and a couple steel, however, you can make alumite, which is the requirement for the Tool Forge to unlock the TiCon hammer. Once you have a hammer you can just slam ore veins apart and it is fairly trivial to get the gyspum and calcite necessary for your next 3 BBFs. It's been mentioned before but always make alumite by mixing dusts, rather than alloying directly in the smeltery. Dust mixing yields 8 (9 in a mixer but that's in the electrical age), whereas smeltery alloying yields like 1 or 2. You only need two total steel to make the 16 alumite for the Tool Forge.

Oh, and this is a good time to start making coke. Coal coke is best but even sugar or cactus coke works! Steel is 6 minutes per ingot with charcoal but only 4 minutes per ingot using coke. Whether you use charcoal or coke, it's also worthwhile to compress the fuel into blocks. Doing so makes the BBF run 10 ingots at a time using the blocks, using only as much fuel as 9 ingots, and also outputting large piles of ash instead of tiny piles. Normally the ash output would clog after 16 units of steel ( 64 or 96 minutes), but fueling with blocks you can run the full 2 stacks of iron in the input buffer which a 4 or 6 hour runtime before needing attention. For the first 2 steel I would just use non-blocks because otherwise you have a literal 40 or 60 minute run time. (Note, I don't think sugar/cactus coke can be compressed into blocks. You also need a fuckton because it's got a much lower burn time than coal coke)

One more little useful BBF tip! A single coke oven making charcoal yields the exact amount to fuel a single BBF. If you're running a quad setup, that's 4 coke ovens so make sure you have more if you're also running your steam boilers off charcoal! Once you have a quad BBF it's totally fine to swap to charcoal because it's actually a challenge to use the 40 steel/hour fast enough with how much other gathering and crafting and processing that goes into the early LV age.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i regret to inform the thread that the obsidian chisel bypass no longer works, you have to have a mining level of obsidian to make the tool forge :negative:

(you can just burn a modifier with a diamond to get the proper mining level)

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i regret to inform the thread that the obsidian chisel bypass no longer works, you have to have a mining level of obsidian to make the tool forge :negative:

(you can just burn a modifier with a diamond to get the proper mining level)

The (iirc) last stone age quest before "enter the nether" awards 10 obsidian, enough for the bare minimum nether portal frame with a few spare to grind down into dust.

Unless that quest reward or structure has changed in the 2.6 dev version.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arrath posted:

The (iirc) last stone age quest before "enter the nether" awards 10 obsidian, enough for the bare minimum nether portal frame with a few spare to grind down into dust.

Unless that quest reward or structure has changed in the 2.6 dev version.

Yeah, getting to the nether is no big deal -- you can cast all of the obsidian in-place with lava and water if you need to. I was talking more getting a cheeky early tool forge (= TiCon hammer) without having to go to the nether or have a pickaxe beyond bronze. You used to be able to do that by abusing the Chisel mod chisel to mine obsidian without the proper mining level on your pickaxe, but now you can't. Fortunately, you can just burn a modifier on your pickaxe with a diamond to get it done anyways. You need 2 diamonds to get the Tool Forge done anyways; finding a third isn't a huge deal.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Falcon2001 posted:

If you want a pack with some amount of quest direction, then Stoneblock 3 is pretty interesting. Instead of starting on an island in the sky you're surrounded by stone.
Thanks for the recommendation! I kinda want to play with some of the building materials so I'll need to dig out some big spaces I think, but it's been fun so far. Create is interesting though I haven't quite gotten a grasp on automating things with it yet. I've mostly just been passing one hand crank between all my machines :sweatdrop:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you just want a kitchen sink pack, you can look up whatever the latest version of the direwolf20 pack is. It's usually got a lot of tech and magic options without being ATM scale.

I might give it a shot. Normally I cave hermit in Minecraft but I haven't played a version newer than like 1.10 so I haven't gotten a chance to mess around with any of the world gen changes, and the big mountains I've seen look like they'd be fun to try and build in.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
IMO a lot of mods have tried to solve the 'how do we add automation stuff to vanilla minecraft' - Botania in particular was very intent on avoiding a lot of magic boxes and stuff. I don't think anything has come close to how good Create manages to pull it off. sometimes I use it even when it's suboptimal because it just looks so good.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Just dropping this here; checked out two recent packs that are different forms of interesting.

FTB Skies: Expert Mode (on FTB) is a traditional expert mode skyblockish pack; I appreciate that there's a couple starts where you're on a reasonably sized island, as I hate the 9 block start of the traditional skyblock setup. Some interesting ideas here, but definitely grindy - but it's expert mode, so what would you expect?

Techopolis 2 (on Curseforge) is a bit more nontraditional. It has some bespoke mods that add 'miners', which are essentially just resource generators but as a big multiblock, so you get some actual 3d placement stuff to think about. (It also has some other custom mods that I think are neat, like the Mega Furnace) It's heavily focused on automation/etc, and uses the game stage unlock setup that SevTech used (or something very similar) so you can purchase various mods as you go along, which I think is an interesting idea but might not be as fun in practice. I just hit compressed cobblestone mining so I'm not very far in, but by default you can play on the overworld with standard terrain and all that, just no ores or monsters spawning. I actually really like this style of 'skyblock', because I just find building platforms slowly over the void to be extremely boring.

I of course immediately cheated in a digital storage setup in both packs (FTB Skies only has AE2, but Techopolis has both AE2 and RS) because gently caress playing modded minecraft without one of those, but aside from that it seems neat.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I miss that old Sky Resources mod. It was pretty easy to break and a little weird, but I had a lot more fun with that than a lot of other skyblock foundation mods.
Frankly, after years of skyblocking, if I have to sift one more block of gravel or infest one more leaf block with silkworms I'm going to lose my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the one with alchemical powders and combustion chambers? that was great