Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shadow of the Erdtree is going to be GOTY and it won't even be close, but Balatro and Helldivers 2 will be competing hard for second place for sure imo

FF7 Rebirth doesn't even have a steam page yet so I doubt it's gonna come out this year :shrug:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It might come out this year but definitely not on Steam. Squeenix has some sort of deal with Epic so even when it comes out on PC it's probably gonna be Epic exclusive for a while.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Best game of the year is going to be whatever comes out that deeply emotionally resonates with me or blows my mind in some profound way because loving around with a well made toy feels kind of wack in comparison to like Kentucky Route Zero rending my soul in twain by the time it was over.

One of the big reasons why imo Grim Fandango is one of the greatest games ever made. Pulls you into its world, is genuinely funny, is genuinely sad, and by the end you wish you never had to leave the experience behind because the place it took you to was so fascinating and filled with so many characters you just wanted to keep spending time with. All of that, and the gameplay is doing inane puzzles with poo poo tank controls lol.

Give me that any day over some poo poo I'll just forget 90% of in the next 6 months.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
smh if you don't feel something special as your mind expands when you play with a thousand interlocking parts and build something unique and special out of them

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Grim fandango deffo has some great dialogue jokes that I still think about to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOJC-wkyiI

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 9, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Waffleman_ posted:

Steambot Chronicles is very fun, and a good game to be able to just Do A Quick Sesh in

I really want to get back down to playing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

yo we got a KRZ reference in 2024?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NnYY-fzEjQ

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

Shadow of the Erdtree is going to be GOTY and it won't even be close, but Balatro and Helldivers 2 will be competing hard for second place for sure imo

FF7 Rebirth doesn't even have a steam page yet so I doubt it's gonna come out this year :shrug:

a dlc can't be goty, sorry i don't make the rules

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

cheetah7071 posted:

smh if you don't feel something special as your mind expands when you play with a thousand interlocking parts and build something unique and special out of them

Yeah games that make you think are also valid and extremely interesting. Zachtronics games are some of my favs and Dyson Sphere Program/Factorio rule, but those have actual problem solving elements to them, versus like adventure game puzzles supposedly making you "think."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jay Rust posted:

Grim fandango deffo has some great dialogue jokes that I still think about to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vOJC-wkyiI

Yeah they had a lot of good gags using the dialogue trees, like making a lovely poem at the Blue Casket and the ensuing joke lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zokari posted:

a dlc can't be goty, sorry i don't make the rules

2021 would like a word with you

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Best game of the year is going to be whatever comes out that deeply emotionally resonates with me or blows my mind in some profound way because loving around with a well made toy feels kind of wack in comparison to like Kentucky Route Zero rending my soul in twain by the time it was over.

One of the big reasons why imo Grim Fandango is one of the greatest games ever made. Pulls you into its world, is genuinely funny, is genuinely sad, and by the end you wish you never had to leave the experience behind because the place it took you to was so fascinating and filled with so many characters you just wanted to keep spending time with. All of that, and the gameplay is doing inane puzzles with poo poo tank controls lol.

Give me that any day over some poo poo I'll just forget 90% of in the next 6 months.

:hmmyes:

Grim Fandango's writing is up there in the top 5 for sure.

Manuel Calavera: Buenos días.
Mercedes Colomar: You're not the nurse.
Manuel Calavera: No.
Mercedes Colomar: You're not here to give me my medication?
Manuel Calavera: No, but I am here to ease your pain.
Mercedes Colomar: Guess they couldn't save me, eh?
Manuel Calavera: No, but there's still a chance you could save me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's been elden ring month in my house, playing modded co-op elden ring with my brother. It's been "a blast"

Here's imo the neatest, smartest thing the mod we're using (elden ring reforged) does:
After you upgrade a weapon to the maximum possible level for each given upgrade material, that upgrade material immediately becomes available to purchase, allowing your non-main weapons to painlessly keep up

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

One of my all-time favorites, my forever game, Besiege, is unexpectedly getting an expansion pack out of the blue in just over a month. Going to add ocean-based siege engineering jank goodness to an already pretty great game. Particularly cool that it's not just still water, but like, roiling ocean physics mechanics. I'm unironically more hyped for this than I have been for any release in the last like 2 years :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxedDR0REws

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcdKEy-aJ6o

August 30

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shadow of the Nerdtree

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Shitshow of the Turdtree :twisted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lmao the console version of Outlaws requires internet to install the rest of the game, because we can't just make sure our poo poo works on what's available now

You know that PC port's gonna be rear end

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Lmao the console version of Outlaws requires internet to install the rest of the game, because we can't just make sure our poo poo works on what's available now

You know that PC port's gonna be rear end

The Ubisoft Seal of AAAA Quality

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Rebirth at least had the courtesy to give you two discs

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

What game was it semi-recently that was the most egregious form of that?

It was a war FPS or something that had like 2-3Mb of files on a DVD/blu-ray and you had to download the other 40-50Gb+ off the net.

Absolutely beyond wasteful behaviour.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was honestly thinking Outlaws wouldnt come out this year. That is not far away at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Jedi Survivor also did that, the day 1 patch was comparable to the install size

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly it looks cool!

And I kinda like how the main character has a little late 70s style to her that makes her feel like she could have been in the OT

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly it looks cool!

And I kinda like how the main character has a little late 70s style to her that makes her feel like she could have been in the OT

From the trailer too, it looks to take place in the OT timeline, just before Return of the Jedi.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Because it's Ubisoft, I'm allowed to complete 180 on Outlaws, but I'm hoping it's good! I should restart and finish Forbidden West finally before it comes out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Don't really care about Star Wars but the main character is a chick in a cool jacket so I probably will play it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It'll be on the Ubi+ thing on PC so you can plunk down 15 bucks for a month probably

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Don't really care about Star Wars but the main character is a chick in a cool jacket so I probably will play it.

Yeah, at least 75% of my interest is I want to play as a cool retro sci-fi smuggler lady.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

It'll be on the Ubi+ thing on PC so you can plunk down 15 bucks for a month probably

I think UBISoft upped the price of this to like $18, but yeah you can do this, and you'll get three day early access.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Doesn’t really matter if the game’s good, but the mocap/lipsyncing looked a little janky for a high budget game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I'll check anything out if it features a chick in a cool jacket

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cropped jacket and feathered hair is very good

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I appreciate any Star Wars thing that doesn't focus on Jedi

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

hatty posted:

I appreciate any Star Wars thing that doesn't focus on Jedi

Don't worry, in the very last fight she'll force push/pull something without trying to save someone, and then *rolls dice* Kit Fisto shows up and hands her a lightsaber.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Saint Freak posted:

Don't worry, in the very last fight she'll force push/pull something without trying to save someone, and then *rolls dice* Kit Fisto shows up and hands her a lightsaber.

https://twitter.com/Dimosar/status/1621250482890211329

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Cropped jacket and feathered hair is very good

The ultimate combo...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Please don't forget my boy Kyle.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NOT CANON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Star Wars has gone off the deep end. As far as I'm concerned Kyle Katarn is the only canon.

I will also accept parts of KotoR 1.