Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My question is that they just had a metal Kong tooth in storage just in case?

I don't really care, if I can accept all the other goofy poo poo in these films I'm ok with the tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Mechani-Kong tease.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Leading up to the reveal of the underground Iwi leader I really expected her to be a twin of the little girl. Kind of a shame the Mothra twins thing was already used (poorly) by KotM

Same, it's just not a proper Mothra intro if the twins aren't present as well.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My question is that they just had a metal Kong tooth in storage just in case?

THAT was the Kong upgrade you found implausible?

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

GateOfD posted:

there was no reason to have the podcast guy there at all

I feel like they were planning on giving him an arc and just forgot halfway through. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but does he ever actually decide if he's going to destroy the footage of the Iwi in the Hollow Earth? I know Trapper appeals to him and gets brushed off, but there's never any consequence for the Iwi, or even a cliche about destroying the footage to protect something greater than e-fame.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Muscle Tracer posted:

"We have a glove...for the exact arm that got damaged...that will also heal the damage." Honestly it was so harebrained and "yeah we gave monke a powerfist, deal with it" that I kind of enjoyed it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just wish all the insanely dumb future tech looked cooler instead of like a bunch of generic Transformers-rear end concept scraps.

The only vaguely cool thing was the plane that looked like a bird that could also camouflage itself on the fly and then they used it in a single scene where it immediately got wrecked lmao.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"We have a glove...for the exact arm that got damaged...that will also heal the damage." Honestly it was so harebrained and "yeah we gave monke a powerfist, deal with it" that I kind of enjoyed it.

Heal with huge drums of what had to be hundreds of gallons of medication specifically for frostbite.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Fancy Hat posted:

They cut back so much of the human cast (thank God) but I don't know why he made the cut.

Just in general, "conspiracy theorist who's actually RIGHT!" is probably a character type we can retire for a while.

Probably because Bryan tree henry is cool

Also no. I’m gonna shout it from the rooftops but we need more crypid monster conspiracy people so we can have fun with it again. Take it from the clutches of the morons and use it to tell cool stories again!!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Muscle Tracer posted:

The glove they explained, even thought it was stupid. The tooth just happened to be around I guess.

edit: I mean, seriously, I'm ok with the glove and such because this movie is absolutely not to be taken seriously. It's as believable as two guys who build a robot to help them with tasks and protecting their son who later goes on to become self-aware and grow to 50 meters tall to team up with Godzilla to fight an Atlantian cockroach and a space chicken.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 9, 2024

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Well obviously Dan Stevens has done this before and just has a stash of giant metal teeth

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Martman posted:

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but playing as King Kong could be pretty badass. I wanna piledriver a dude off a building, through a portal and into hollow Earth

There should be a mod for VTOLVR that puts your against kaiju

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The D in Detroit posted:

Well obviously Dan Stevens has done this before and just has a stash of giant metal teeth

I pictured a super-advanced mega 3D printer using scans they'd already done of his teeth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It's kinda cool they're taking care of Kong and figuring out ways to help and enhance him. Also I liked Dan Stevens character.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
He was the best and I think his dumb bits are the times that the soundtrack really works

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The injury was only ever an excuse to put the glove on Kong, they had to handwave the frostbite away immediately. Wingard explains why he decided to give Kong a "beast glove" in this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXBAhi9LHlo&t=360s

He just wanted to give him an anime power glove because he thought it looked wicked cool

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I hate him so much

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hate him so much

Bro minus one is right there for you

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CelticPredator posted:

Bro minus one is right there for you

I love all (good) Godzillas, there’s just something annoyingly “vague memories of an 80s American Saturday morning cartoon” about these last two Legendary movies that does not vibe with me at all.

They don’t really feel like Godzilla movies, which I know is an insane thing to say given how varied Godzilla films actually are. They just feel more like modern superhero movies than anything else. And I’m not saying that in a dumb reactionary “marvel is bad, comics are poo poo!” way, it’s just not the kind of thing I’m looking for in a Godzilla movie.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

So make sense to me the scale of it here. Kongs size gets weird at times cause of perspective. Like you see actually the little girl is like half a nail of Kong.

Scar sees the humans as freaking ant size.

This glove is loving huge taking that into acct. how the hell did he carry this thing with that small helicopter

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love all (good) Godzillas, there’s just something annoyingly “vague memories of an 80s American Saturday morning cartoon” about these last two Legendary movies that does not vibe with me at all.

They don’t really feel like Godzilla movies, which I know is an insane thing to say given how varied Godzilla films actually are. They just feel more like modern superhero movies than anything else. And I’m not saying that in a dumb reactionary “marvel is bad, comics are poo poo!” way, it’s just not the kind of thing I’m looking for in a Godzilla movie.

Fair but don’t watch them idk lol
They’re not gonna change

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I pictured a super-advanced mega 3D printer using scans they'd already done of his teeth.
yeah I can't find a closeup of it online but I feel like when I saw it in the theater it had that look of something 3D-printed, like it had ridges or layers of more primitive 3D printer products

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He just wanted to give him an anime power glove because he thought it looked wicked cool
he's right

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If anything I think they like to play up how Kong is unusual among kaiju for being the most like a human. He fights with weapons, uses language and technology, he understands and is involved in complex relationships with individuals and polities. He and his species stand out among the more animalistic kaiju, and it gives him a handy contrast with Godzilla, who even if he may well be smart and perceptive enough to understand things on Kong's level, clearly doesn't see things the same way.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I loved the scene where Scar laughs at Kong for having gone to the dentist

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Fair but don’t watch them idk lol
They’re not gonna change

Why not? They didn't start out that way and Wingard is a mercenary director here, not the grand architect of the Monsterverse. Nothing is inevitable or permanent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It is eternal.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

this is the only explanation I accept on poo poo like this if you try to explain it with some plot bullshit and justify it you’re a loving nerd

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If anything I think they like to play up how Kong is unusual among kaiju for being the most like a human. He fights with weapons, uses language and technology, he understands and is involved in complex relationships with individuals and polities. He and his species stand out among the more animalistic kaiju, and it gives him a handy contrast with Godzilla, who even if he may well be smart and perceptive enough to understand things on Kong's level, clearly doesn't see things the same way.

Kong's always been that way, all the way back to 1933. Godzilla '54 was very much not that way because they deliberately depicted him as an unstoppable force of nature, plus his scale was so much bigger

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Heal with huge drums of what had to be hundreds of gallons of medication specifically for frostbite.

Those were just Full Heal potions that can cure any status condition.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've fully committed to him being a pulp barbarian hero, all the way down to his complex and ambiguous relationship with civilisation and technology.

Meanwhile, Godzilla is halfway between an ancient kung fu ascetic who's seen all this poo poo a thousand times over and an extremely grumpy tomcat.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's back babyyyyyy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuXcju7GV-0

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just wrote it off as magic and whatever but, is there any explanation other than mystical poo poo to explain how Mothra was resurrected?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also I loved the movie. Probably my favorite of the new american ones. Skar is just literally Skar from Lion King. He reminded me of like a crazy king with an addled mind from some kind of Shakespearean play. Also there were wrestling moves. And the human stuff felt way more focused - we weren't globe hopping between different groups. And I found all the characters likable - except Skar who was delightfully unlikable and unapologetic about it.

My favorite thing about Godzilla is you can watch some real serious and well done films like Shin and -1, and then you can get some real goofy schlock in the best ways.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In the other movies, specifically King of the Monsters I remember them having lines about evacuations. There is no way that final fight had enough time for anyone to evacuate so that's a lot of dead humans lol. But I can actually accept that because I imagine to Godzilla he doesn't even notice humans other than like we do ants. And Kong probably understood that poo poo gotta kill this crazy monkey man before he ice ages the planet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shard posted:

I just wrote it off as magic and whatever but, is there any explanation other than mystical poo poo to explain how Mothra was resurrected?

The power of god and anime

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The Monsterverse Godzilla has turned into DoomGuy + a cat and that's cool.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kong is supposed to be the protector of humans, but I’m not sure why he would want to. Maybe for that universal healthcare.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Invalid Validation posted:

Kong is supposed to be the protector of humans, but I’m not sure why he would want to. Maybe for that universal healthcare.

Well you just take the reason that Skar King is absolutely obsessed with invading and subjugating the surface world and flip that around and it explains why the Kongs want to protect humans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Invalid Validation posted:

Godzilla is the protector of the humans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Godzilla is friend to all

Except big monkey