Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Frond posted:

Metal Gear Solid did all those things first.

Metal Gear Solid has pre-rendered cutscenes, and a dedicated interface for dialog and story telling. MGS just did wacky poo poo like make you put the controller in another port to fight a boss. Creative and fun, but it didn't shift an industry.

[edit] what a lovely snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Frond posted:

Uh so the active aero is apparently hosed in simulations.

Is this actually f1 related or video game related?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Both. The active aero accidentally invented the cars from San Francisco Rush 2049.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I didn't know that the race just stops while you pitted in Al Unser Jr Turbo Racing until 2022. This would have made my strategy very different back in 1990.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Bip Roberts posted:

F1.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Looking like a lot of posters tried to go off piste for a shortcut in 1080 snowboarding right now

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

As part of the effort to increase car performance to help accommodate the characteristics of the new turbo hybrid engines that feature a 50/50 power split between the internal combustion engine and battery, the new cars are going to have moveable aero.

The idea is that the car’s wings will be able to run in a high-downforce configuration in corners to help deliver grip, before shifting to a low drag configuration on the straights to help boost straightline speed.

One path being explored was for only the rear wing to be moveable, as it could then work easily in conjunction with DRS and would be the least complicated solution.

However, with some teams having recently been evaluating what is known as the baseline ‘Fangio’ car model in simulators to try to understand how this would work, some concerning characteristics emerged.

According to sources, when the rear wing was in its most low-drag configuration and the engine was at full power, the car was almost undriveable – with multiple examples of drivers spinning on straights under acceleration or being unable to take the smallest of curves without the rear stepping out.

This was triggered by a shift in aero balance that was estimated to be three times as much as is currently experienced when DRS is open.

One insider even suggested that the only way to prevent the cars spinning was to drive so conservatively that the lap times ended up being slower than current Formula 2 machinery.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Sounds perfect. Keep it that way so only good drivers can actually race

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
so the new regs are gonna be pushed back to 2028, huh

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

The biggest shame is the failure of the Dreamcast. I wish Sega never exited the market but the Saturn’s disastrous export performance sealed the hardware division’s fate. Kinda sad, the Saturn had some gems.

The dreamcast was doomed the second people figured out you could install DiscJuggler and burn games to CD-R and it would play them with zero issues. CD burners hit just the right price point around then that you could justify getting one on that alone.

I got my dreamcast for loving $16 from EB games when they were trying to clear them out after they discontinued it on boxing day and told my mom if she bought me a 50 pack of CD-Rs on the way home that I would shut the gently caress up about buying games for the next year which is exactly what happened.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Was anybody ever able to find those loving sailors in shenmue?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

too busy driving a forklift and collecting toys to worry about sailors tbh

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

too busy driving a forklift and collecting toys to worry about sailors tbh

I was a darts man myself.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I bought a dreamcast when they were blowing them out for $50 bucks iirc.

I also bought Bleem so I could play my pirated version of Gran Turismo 2.

In retrospect, lol that I paid for Bleem but not Gran Turismo 2.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Formula Gundam

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

The dreamcast was doomed the second people figured out you could install DiscJuggler and burn games to CD-R and it would play them with zero issues. CD burners hit just the right price point around then that you could justify getting one on that alone.

I got my dreamcast for loving $16 from EB games when they were trying to clear them out after they discontinued it on boxing day and told my mom if she bought me a 50 pack of CD-Rs on the way home that I would shut the gently caress up about buying games for the next year which is exactly what happened.

Nothing in my whole entire life has ever confused me more than why people think game piracy is what doomed the Dreamcast. They would've sold loads of Dreamcasts if the general public was under the impression they didn't have to pay for games. Instead they hardly sold any. Piracy had zero impact on why it failed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The console was priced below cost to move units so game sales generated more licensing revenue. So they were losing money on both sides.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

And they didn't move units

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

look buddy, if you're looking for a silver bullet for why Sega hosed up so badly in the 90s you can easily trip over a lockheed martin war armaments warehouse full of them. everyone can be right in this scenario.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The only reason that is indisputably not correct is "Sega didn't sell many Dreamcasts because it was so easy to pirate games for," because that claim obviously makes no sense on the face of it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm at a point in my life where I'm comfortable saying "we are going to have to agree to disagree on this" wicka, and I hope our friendship can continue past this disagreement which I'm sure it will.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not at a point in my life where I'm willing to agree to disagree on "they didn't sell many Dreamcasts because of a reason that would've encouraged people to buy Dreamcasts en masse"

it's like saying Red Bull has produced the worst car this year because it's won too many races

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Look the situation was that they were under a massive amount of debt to the point where banks weren't willing to undewrite loans to them anymore so their main shareholder had to step in and front them money and the PS2 was getting ready to launch and looked like better bang for your buck. So they either could continue to sink money into selling the dreamcast at a loss to stay relevant and take a shrinking share of licensing fees due to piracy or they could cut their losses and just license stuff to other platforms, which is what they did and was the far more sensible option. That's literally what happened.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

The Dreamcast failed because of the PS2. Nobody gave a poo poo about a couple of niche cult classic JRPG's and whatnot on the Dreamcast compared to the marketing barrage and general appeal of the PS2.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

Look the situation was that they were under a massive amount of debt to the point where banks weren't willing to undewrite loans to them anymore so their main shareholder had to step in and front them money and the PS2 was getting ready to launch and looked like better bang for your buck. So they either could continue to sink money into selling the dreamcast at a loss to stay relevant and take a shrinking share of licensing fees due to piracy or they could cut their losses and just license stuff to other platforms, which is what they did and was the far more sensible option. That's literally what happened.

Yes, you just listed all the real reasons why it failed and then shoehorned piracy in there for no reason, despite the fact that it would have benefited the console's sales.

Imagine two video game systems lined up on the edge of a cliff. One has games that costs $50, the other one has games that are free. Which one is the way time works?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What was the N64 emulator that needed a 3dfx card because it was all done in Glide? My uncle had that setup on his Dell P3 for my cousin, with USB adapters for the N64 controllers and all the :filez: came off IRC.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Yes, you just listed all the real reasons why it failed and then shoehorned piracy in there for no reason, despite the fact that it would have benefited the console's sales.

Imagine two video game systems lined up on the edge of a cliff. One has games that costs $50, the other one has games that are free. Which one is the way time works?

your argument is that they could've jacked up the console price to an unrealistic level to turn a profit, effectively piss off all external game devs by telling them you don't care if they make no money making games for you cause its now your business model at which point you're marketing a paperweight because nobody is willing to put anything on that console. It was a large contributory factor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

your argument is that they could've jacked up the console price to an unrealistic level to turn a profit, effectively piss off all external game devs by telling them you don't care if they make no money making games for you cause its now your business model at which point you're marketing a paperweight because nobody is willing to put anything on that console. It was a large contributory factor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I knew this thread wasn't ready for my video game hot takes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i remember seeing grand theft auto 3 for the first time and thinking that nothing could ever be more impressive than it and then those crazy motherfuckers dropped vice city a mere 53 weeks later

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
crrrrrrrrazy taxi!

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
is danny ric out at the end of the season?

surely he can't stick around by consistently losing to Tsunoda and crashing cars.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

is danny ric out at the end of the season?

surely he can't stick around by consistently losing to Tsunoda and crashing cars.

I could imagine a mid season swap too, they're obviously shopping a replacement for Chico and if they don't like Danny and think Yuki needs to stay at RB they might try a third driver.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bip Roberts posted:

Blast corps dawgs

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Lawson is almost certainly going to be in at RB in 25, but I don't think they really have anybody else lined up for the 2nd seat. It would make more sense for Honda to cut a check to Aston Martin to get Yuki a longer term contract there than to just do another year at RB. So Ricciardo could be back just for lack of options.

But I don't know, maybe Yuki extends one year at RB, and Alonso extend one year at Aston and it all works out that way.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

wicka posted:

Nothing in my whole entire life has ever confused me more than why people think game piracy is what doomed the Dreamcast. They would've sold loads of Dreamcasts if the general public was under the impression they didn't have to pay for games. Instead they hardly sold any. Piracy had zero impact on why it failed.

I bought a Nintendo DS in uni purely because it was so easy to pirate the games.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

wicka posted:

No piracy was a real issue. I don’t think Sega made much on hardware sales - only Nintendo made money on hardware, which continues to this day.

The Xbox has always lost money on Hardware. PS2 maybe broke even.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Grimson posted:

As part of the effort to increase car performance to help accommodate the characteristics of the new turbo hybrid engines that feature a 50/50 power split between the internal combustion engine and battery, the new cars are going to have moveable aero.

The idea is that the car’s wings will be able to run in a high-downforce configuration in corners to help deliver grip, before shifting to a low drag configuration on the straights to help boost straightline speed.

One path being explored was for only the rear wing to be moveable, as it could then work easily in conjunction with DRS and would be the least complicated solution.

However, with some teams having recently been evaluating what is known as the baseline ‘Fangio’ car model in simulators to try to understand how this would work, some concerning characteristics emerged.

According to sources, when the rear wing was in its most low-drag configuration and the engine was at full power, the car was almost undriveable – with multiple examples of drivers spinning on straights under acceleration or being unable to take the smallest of curves without the rear stepping out.

This was triggered by a shift in aero balance that was estimated to be three times as much as is currently experienced when DRS is open.

One insider even suggested that the only way to prevent the cars spinning was to drive so conservatively that the lap times ended up being slower than current Formula 2 machinery.

they should try designing the active aero so it doesn't do that, imo

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I want to play Grandia 2 now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Frond posted:

No piracy was a real issue. I don’t think Sega made much on hardware sales - only Nintendo made money on hardware, which continues to this day.

The Xbox has always lost money on Hardware. PS2 maybe broke even.

I am simply loving begging you to stop for two seconds and think about the basic cause and effect of what you are suggesting. The Dreamcast failed because they barely sold any consoles. You are ascribing blame to something that would've spurred more console sales. It's nonsense.