Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to improve fixtures of any kind you can either improve the surface area of the join, or try to reduce the amount of weight they're supporting. Which if it's a coat rack attached to your door is going to look like extending the vertical fixture points so the leverage of the weighted hook isn't all being taken up by some screws directly behind it.

You can get bracket plates at B&Q which might help, attach the coat rack to the plate and then the plate to the door to spread the fixings out further

https://www.diy.com/departments/hardware/brackets/DIY580647.cat?Navigation+type=Plate

Might look a bit unappealing (though you could paint it same colour as the door when you're done) but presumably it's going to be behind your coats 99% of the time anyway :v:

Failing that yeah an over-door hook one is probably ideal, if your coats rip a chunk out of the outer edge of the door then god alone can help you (at least the aspect of Him that's a carpenter)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Rachel Reeves on the news there putting distance between Starmer Tories and radical lefties like...Gordon Brown, who had the temerity to suggest that early childhood supports like SureStart are good for the country. Such a wonderful message of "no money for anyone or anything, gently caress off" which will surely resonate with the voting public

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Talking of which - are any of you on Unix making any sort of planning towards the Unix 'millenium bug' of 2038? Or has that potential problem all gone away?
14 years seems like a long time, but it isn't, really.

It's not an issue on 64 bit systems/software which have been standard for ages now (even longer for actual commercial Unix, back to the mid 90s ish). It is an issue with embedded stuff and legacy commercial software but the latter isn't prevalent quite the way mainframe stuff was. In any case its far enough off still nobody seems to be panicking yet. Nor were people in 1986 ofc...

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Gordon Browns left nut has more economics knowledge than Rachel Reeves

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Rachel Reeves on the news there putting distance between Starmer Tories and radical lefties like...Gordon Brown, who had the temerity to suggest that early childhood supports like SureStart are good for the country. Such a wonderful message of "no money for anyone or anything, gently caress off" which will surely resonate with the voting public

oh yes I accidentally saw that when quitting out of youtube earlier and after declaring some female anatomy managed to change the channel

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
We have an optional customer survey at work, and someone has complained about the question asking if the customer identifies as having a disability.

Someone has written a very heartfelt complaint asking us to remove the word 'identify', because their disability is a diagnosis and not an identity they chose.

There are people here much better placed than I to comment, so please cast your votes: hate crime or no?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you or them?

verdict?

both guilty

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Just Another Lurker posted:

Saw a Palestinian flag flying in a nearby village in N.I. , that was nice. :)
The year before my nan passed she went on a family history tour with my mam and sent me a photo of Madiba with a Rainbow Nation flag and a Palestine flag behind him on the end of a row of houses from Derry.

Also went off on one about how we used to live in bog huts made out of mud so I should be thankful for my terraced house made from actual bricks rather than mud slapped into squares, but it was nice to see the murals.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Not a hate crime, but definitely needs a rewording. Might be better as "do you have a disability (with or without a formal diagnosis)."

I can see what they're going for on a nitpicky point of accuracy. There are people with hidden disabilities who might find it difficult to get a diagnosis - autism, chronic fatigue and ME for example. Those people might technically 'identify as' disabled without being able to provide evidence of a diagnosis, because the waiting lists are nightmarish or a lot of doctors will just straight up not believe you.

However those same people would also probably describe themselves as being disabled, because that is their experience - the same way trans women are women, and saying they 'identify as' implies to an extent that they aren't.

Self diagnosis is a particular bugbear in autism communities for example, but again I can't see many people who would describe themselves as 'identifying as' autistic. We are autistic. It's an inseperable part of who we are.

The whole thing sounds like someone who's attempting progressive language without really understanding the issues behind it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

We have an optional customer survey at work, and someone has complained about the question asking if the customer identifies as having a disability.

Someone has written a very heartfelt complaint asking us to remove the word 'identify', because their disability is a diagnosis and not an identity they chose.

There are people here much better placed than I to comment, so please cast your votes: hate crime or no?

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Like... you can have a diagnosis of the 'tism, but it's up to you whether you choose to identify as autistic.

That person is being a dumbass.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

bessantj posted:

Oh hey, he's a comedian? Will have to look at his twitter, I love a good laugh

https://twitter.com/LeoKearse/status/1775262282454622614

HAHAHAHAHA Brilliant, what a knee slapper. Can you imagine selling tickets to a Marxist conference?

aaaaaah they paid for a good and/or service, check mate, "marxists"!!!! :hehe:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

crispix posted:

aaaaaah they paid for a good and/or service, check mate, "marxists"!!!! :hehe:

Using capitalist money, I see??

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The wording I remember encountering is "do you consider yourself to have a disability?"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

mossyfisk posted:

The wording I remember encountering is "do you consider yourself to have a disability?"

which is kind of the same issue? I guess its like why are they asking the question? What outcomes are they after

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

which is kind of the same issue? I guess its like why are they asking the question? What outcomes are they after

I assume to accommodate disabled customers better?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i guess they should just write:

disabled? yes/no

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i guess they should just write:

disabled? yes/no

But that raises the question of "according to who" which is where the distinction of diagnosis v. self-identifying comes into play

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Two answers, and two opposite opinions!

The survey isn't asking for people's medical history. It's asking people what they think, not what their doctor thinks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Microplastics posted:

But that raises the question of "according to who" which is where the distinction of diagnosis v. self-identifying comes into play

whom

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoCcDi8zH8M

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This gave me a hearty chuckle
https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1777812518716559429

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
A fart from fartlow

I don't have an apple device to see.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I love that all the news about the Rwanda plan is either our government stepping on rakes or their government landing easy dunks on us

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Lady Demelza posted:

depends. what's their forums username

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A fart from fartlow

I don't have an apple device to see.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

Two answers, and two opposite opinions!

The survey isn't asking for people's medical history. It's asking people what they think, not what their doctor thinks.

Some people find the medicalization of aspects of themselves to be validating, or they find the imposition of a diagnosis consistent with feelings of imposition of an element of their being by a force outside their control, and might find the idea that disability can be an identity rather annoying.

Other people are going to prefer to make the choice for themselves as to whether they identify with what other people might classify them as and view the idea that others get to classify them dehumanizing.

You're not gonna please everyone unfortunately.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

I love that all the news about the Rwanda plan is either our government stepping on rakes or their government landing easy dunks on us

There was a story I saw this morning where a housing development that was build to house our refugees has ended up just being sold off to locals. So I think the Rwandans are just giving up

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

mediaphage posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It actually does come up on my iPhone, I dunno why though. “London” doesn’t bring up the UK flag, “Dublin” doesn’t bring up the Irish flag.

“Rome” brings up the flag of the Vatican City🇻🇦, I’ve not found any other non-obvious autocomplete suggestions so far

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

TACD posted:

It actually does come up on my iPhone, I dunno why though. “London” doesn’t bring up the UK flag, “Dublin” doesn’t bring up the Irish flag.

“Rome” brings up the flag of the Vatican City🇻🇦, I’ve not found any other non-obvious autocomplete suggestions so far

That's weird, it doesn't show up on mine (iOS 17.3.1).

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Runcible Cat posted:

That's weird, it doesn't show up on mine (iOS 17.3.1).

Shows up for me on 17.4.1, presumably someone snuck it into the latest update

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Interestingly (?) it looks like there are already two Unicode sequences for “Flag for Jerusalem”; IL-JM (🏴󠁩󠁬󠁪󠁭󠁿) and PS-JEM (🏴󠁰󠁳󠁪󠁥󠁭󠁿)

The Palestinian Territories flag (🇵🇸) also contains the regional characters P-S so maybe there’s so weird autocomplete funkiness going on there? Whatever the real answer is I bet it’s ultimately because these flag emoji are just arcane Unicode sigils taped together.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

Some people find the medicalization of aspects of themselves to be validating, or they find the imposition of a diagnosis consistent with feelings of imposition of an element of their being by a force outside their control, and might find the idea that disability can be an identity rather annoying.

Other people are going to prefer to make the choice for themselves as to whether they identify with what other people might classify them as and view the idea that others get to classify them dehumanizing.

You're not gonna please everyone unfortunately.

I was diagnosed with ADHD last year. And it's not like the doctor magically waved a wand and made me disabled. I'm the exact same person I always was, it's just now I have someone with a piece of paper backing me up. I was just as disabled before my diagnosis as I am now. This is why I think the medicalisation of neurodiversity is bullshit because not everyone has had the chance to get diagnosed and some people haven't even figured out that they have something worth getting checked out. And even if they did that assessments can sometimes be a total pot luck based on the doctor you get matched with, how they're feeling that day and how willing the local Trust is to diagnose. But they're all still just as disabled now as they would be with a diagnosis. Just cause I lucked out and managed to get myself rubber stamped doesn't make me any better than the people who haven't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Companies that only exist because enough people say they do promote countries that only exist because enough people say they do.
Diagnosis works the same way.
🍎🍏

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

My wife says that my colourblindness makes me disabled. I laugh in her face. From the toilet, having eaten undercooked meat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This produces the image of your wife crouching in front of you while you're making GBS threads, staring into each other's eyes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of things that stop existing in any meaningful way if people just ignore them
https://twitter.com/LGBwiththeT/status/1777737442612617248

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Rarity posted:

doesn't make me any better than the people who haven't.

Its not a competition.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

This produces the image of your wife crouching in front of you while you're making GBS threads, staring into each other's eyes.

Marriage means never having to poo poo alone

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Failed Imagineer posted:

Marriage means never having to poo poo alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avb1XbO0EIs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU