Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Homer pick, Johnny Wilson once a smart team converts him to TE

I just don't know how he'll play TE. He's got the footwork and strength of a WR. His blocking prowess is all being bigger than DBs and he takes really bad angles doing it. He's also way better at route running than people give him credit for. Really he's just got problems trying to snatch the ball which leads to his drops and he doesn't shield for the catch that well so people just negate all size advantage in contested catch situations. I'd rather him running deep routes than trying to work the digs that FSU had him doing, which also feels like a negative for a NFL quality TE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Every University of Washington player is a can’t miss player.

They have the absolute maximum about of dawg in ‘em

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

zach frasier definitely won't go past the 3rd and i'd almost say that about the 2nd. call me after to talk crap and take big craps on eachother

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I admittedly haven't paid much attention since The Beast hasn't been released yet, but I just think Odunze is WR1 to me. He's going to be awesome. I have the most fun watching him play.

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like Dane Brugler is really solid on the offensive side of the ball. Someone needs to teach him how to scout defense because hoo boy

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

for mid round guys: Puni, Rice, Tracy

I have Rice significantly higher than the consensus. Puni and Tracy have moved up a lot on the consensus. I don't think many are really sleeping on them.

for late round moon shots:

Sundiata Anderson, Matt Lee

Anderson is rough and old, which is not an especially appealing combination of traits. I'm a sucker for high motor guys and he's got an impressive get off.

Matt Lee plays a little ugly. His production numbers are insane though. 7 pressures, 1 hit, 0 sacks allowed over the last TWO years combined. Very few penalties. He's smart. While his ugly film is ugly, he's got really great reps against a lot of early round d-line talent too.

I guess honorable mention to Dwight McGlothern who I don't really know if he's actually any good or not. I appreciate his dedication to his schtick of being completely uninterested in run defense despite being a good tackler. Ok in man. Pretty Good in Zone. Ball hawk. Funny to watch him jog along side run plays while not doing anything. Guy so good at inspecting piles he does it before there's a pile to inspect.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Diva Cupcake posted:

I admittedly haven't paid much attention since The Beast hasn't been released yet, but I just think Odunze is WR1 to me. He's going to be awesome. I have the most fun watching him play.

Over MHJ? That is a bold take. It would not surprise me if he has the best career of the three, but I can't go against MHJ. That guy is a man.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

A Sneaker Broker posted:

DUI's aside, who is that one prospect in this year's Draft that is "Your Guy"? If you had to pick one to bank your future on, who?

Going at least into day 2, because yeah the top of the draft is filled with my guys who are basically can't miss especially at receiver (although I'm cheating a bit at RB since none of them will likely go first round). I haven't really looked at guys likely to go rounds 4 - 7 so all of these guys are in the 2nd to 3rd or possibly 4th round :

Jonah Elliss, Edge - Best and most powerful hands in the class, and I value that a whole lot in an edge defender. Knows how to break down and finish a sack as well. Bit heavy footed and plays too high, also some injury concerns. Still, very underrated player imo

Trey Benson, RB - Pretty much the total package at RB: speed, vision, tackle breaking. Massive yards after contact guy but also has breakaway speed. Maybe doesn't have the most impressive moves if I had to criticize.

Xavier Legette, WR - AJ Brown 2.0. Plays stiff and straight-backed but has excellent play strength and speed. Good downfield target but can also take a slant to the house.

Andru Phillips, CB - Has all the things a good cornerback needs, maybe a little short and plays low but balled out at the senior bowl in 1 on 1s which I love to see

Jaylen Wright, RB - Maybe a little weak inside, but excellent top speed and acceleration, great contact balance and breaks tackles well. Runs nice and low. Lower half maybe a little thinner than I'd like.

Calen Bullock, SAF - Speedy, rangy safety. Really thin though, and doesn't wrap up enough so he'll have to work on those things. Best in cover 1 or cover 3 to maximize his ranginess but cover 2 or 4 would be fine too. He's game to tackle but definitely not a force player near the line of scrimmage.

Ricky Pearsall, WR - All the makings of a successful slot receiver

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Play posted:

Ricky Pearsall, WR - All the makings of a successful slot receiver

makings aka white

Play
Apr 25, 2006

wandler20 posted:

makings aka white

doesn't hurt, no

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Not really sure if Pearsall is a slot guy he plays more like a X.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I'm picking that receiver with the legendarily bad RAS

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doltos posted:

but he's white

get in the slot, son

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

I can see why you'd say that, he did play both slot and outside quite a bit, as well as going into motion frequently as a decoy or taking an end around/jet sweep. Also not a tiny guy in terms of height, albeit pretty slim and arms look a bit short.

But I liked his blocking mostly, which would play well in the slot, and I liked how he knows how to throttle down when necessary and find gaps in zone. And he was better than you'd think making catches in traffic, although he did get knocked around a bit in press and during his routes against more physical defenders.

Wherever a team decides to play him, I'm a fan. Gotta work on the drops, and his route running is good sometimes and other times not so much. If he could be had in round 3 or later that would be a steal imo, although that's starting to look unlikely as it seems he's climbing draft boards recently

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just feel like at the moment the NFL is trending towards tougher slot play. It's why I think scoring in the redzone is down. Teams have a lot more physical, quick DBs playing there which makes it harder for guys like Pearsall to flourish. Like if you stick Edelman or Welker into today's game they'd probably be bullied to hell and back. Pearsall's catch radius is pretty small too.

With that being said on the flip side the NFL is trending towards using bigger WRs out of the slot since theres a lot of middle of the field attack to take advantage of cover 6 and cover 4. Pearsalls good at those routes and good against zone so I can see him getting put there. I'd just prefer to stick him in trips and have him run corners and posts.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

A Sneaker Broker posted:

DUI's aside, who is that one prospect in this year's Draft that is "Your Guy"? If you had to pick one to bank your future on, who?

Marvin Harrison Jr.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Payton Wilson I think is good enough to lock down the centre of a defense as a rare true middle linebacker.

Health the only concern but I think hes one of those guys who wins droty and goes on to big things.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

If MHJ wasn't named Marvin Harrison junior then Odunze would be rated the best WR in this draft. I'm UW Homer and I don't even think this is ghat big of a Homer take

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't think his name matters that much, there's plenty of scions in the league. He's really just that good.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
There's at least 4 in this class. MH3, Lassiter, Trotter, Jenkins.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

EmbryoSteve posted:

If MHJ wasn't named Marvin Harrison junior then Odunze would be rated the best WR in this draft. I'm UW Homer and I don't even think this is ghat big of a Homer take

what probably affects it more than his name is that he came into the year with that rep whereas Odunze went from good to great this year

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

EmbryoSteve posted:

It is a very big homer take.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I think Harrison’s name helps a bit to differentiate himself above the competition, especially because all of the top 3 wrs are so good and so closely ranked.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I dont think his name hurts, but I think the fact that he is a physical freak with a huge catch radius and very technically sound routes has a lot more to do with it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MHJ's name aint mean poo poo until he grows a god drat moustache

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So Harrison is the best like pure Wide Receiver in this draft, and one of the best wide receivers I have seen as a prospect as far as like the art of being a receiver at that age. route running getting open and creating a major target for his (bad) quarterback.

I could see taking Nabers over him though depending on your preference, because Nabers while I have some slight concerns about him that I don't have about MHJ as far as being a receiver in the NFL, Nabers is a home run hitter. Like you gently caress up an angle trying to tackle him with the ball in his hand and he is loving gone. Something that MHJ doesn't have at all.

I largely see Odunze as MHJ light, where they probably have similar ceilings, but right now I would say Marv is a better technician, and better at everything other than breaking tackles in space.

Like as far as WR prospects go, the only negative on Marv from what I've seen is that he just never breaks tackles, but he will find a way to get open and catch anything remotely thrown his way.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

I largely see Odunze as MHJ light, where they probably have similar ceilings, but right now I would say Marv is a better technician, and better at everything other than breaking tackles in space.

I see Odunze as MHJ HEAVY babey!!!

Drop Rate (from lowest to highest):
Rome Odunze —- 3.3%
Malik Nabers —- 5.3%
Marvin Harrison Jr.—- 8.2%

Contested Catch Rate:
Rome Odunze —- 75.0%
Malik Nabers —- 45.5%
Marvin Harrison Jr.—- 43.3%

Completion Rate (Catches divided by Targets):
Malik Nabers —- 69.5%
Rome Odunze —- 65.7%
Marvin Harrison Jr. —- 58.8%

That dawg in him:
Rome Odunze —- 100.0%
Malik Nabers —- 50.5%
Marvin Harrison Jr. —- 5.5%

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Marv didn't have a college QB throwing to him this year lol.

Turn on the tape and you see him frequently making catchable passes where they for most other receivers would be deemed uncatchable.

You also see like just completely loving pristine route running ability, and ability to create space against man/man press coverage with his routes.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I can dream but I think Odunze goes no lower than 6th.
https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1777024641384505626?s=46

https://twitter.com/mattharmon_byb/status/1772282839569969259?s=46

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dexo posted:

Marv didn't have a college QB throwing to him this year lol.

Turn on the tape and you see him frequently making catchable passes where they for most other receivers would be deemed uncatchable.

You also see like just completely loving pristine route running ability, and ability to create space against man/man press coverage with his routes.

Turn on the tape and you can see Rome has hands soft as pillows yet strong as iron!!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Odunze and MHJ both feasted and have similar play styles. The offensive philosophy dictated which routes those guys ran since Brian Hartline likes giving McCord easy safety valves with MHJ and DeBoer had Odunze isolated to take advantage of his speed. McCord's progression was look at MHJ and then dump it off to Stover. Since his route running is so good and he's so large they just sent him on slants all day. Odunze was in an offense that stretched the field horizontally against underneath defenders and vertically against deep defenders to create 1 on 1 matchups. That requires more variety in routes being ran because if there was repetitiveness then defenses could key in on who was doing what making safety and LB reads easier. He was also with Polk and McMillan who could also run a variety of routes making the whole thing a nightmare for defenses to guess against.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

re: MHJ it's worth noting that Literally Jerry Rice's kid is in this draft and he ain't poo poo

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wandler20 posted:

There's at least 4 in this class. MH3, Lassiter, Trotter, Jenkins.

Jonah Elliss is like the third of Luther's 12 kids to enter the league. Would be nice if he came to his dad's old team...

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

kidcoelacanth posted:

re: MHJ it's worth noting that Literally Jerry Rice's kid is in this draft and he ain't poo poo

Randy Moss' kid is bouncing around the league as a blocking tight end

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I bet he goes no later than the 4th.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Kris Jenkins JR too and he's kinda nasty. I like him in the 2nd/3rd

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the Eagles dont draft Trotter Jr, I riot

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Randy Moss' kid is bouncing around the league as a blocking tight end

Apparently he couldn’t even make a UFL roster and recently signed with the CFL. So I guess there are some limits to the power of nepotism in football still

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The lesson is nepotism doesn’t work if you are the exact opposite of the position of your kin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't know if it's just because of the timing of when I was paying attention to the NFL or something like that, but it sure seems like there are a shitload of players who are sons of former players nowadays. 10, 20 years ago there didn't seem like there were nearly that much. The only one from that time window (10-20 years ago) I could remember off the top of my head that played for the Packers is Clay Matthews.