Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think it was Romero who noted that Doom2 had no shareware, as everyone "had already played all of Doom1" from just the shareware and didn't go on to buy the full thing. Which to be fair, sounds about right! I didn't see episodes 2 or 3 until I was an adult - I just pirated Doom2 like everybody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Convex posted:

Fair enough, but what about DOOM II? I don't think I knew anyone that paid for a copy of that when I was younger
It was a standard retail release, and sold better than expectation (GTi ran through a three month supply in the first month of sales). It sold well enough for GTi to convince id to make a retail release of DOOM as the Ultimate DOOM, nearly two years after the (registered) DOOM came out. And that sold well enough that they made both the Master Levels and Final DOOM retail releases as well.

Once DOOM hit big there was no shortage of selling DOOM in stores. People were dropping $2k+ on a new PC just to play DOOM, another $40 for a boxed copy was hardly a hinderance.

Mind you, people were also buying crap like D!ZONE in stores which was nothing more than levels you could legitimately download from idgames FTP mirrors for free.

Like, was DOOM pirated a bunch? Sure, probably. More so than other games of the era? Maybe. But the shareware version was ubiquitous and the retail versions sold very well.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Serephina posted:

I think it was Romero who noted that Doom2 had no shareware, as everyone "had already played all of Doom1" from just the shareware and didn't go on to buy the full thing.
The thing about the shareware/mail-order model that Apogee and id followed is that even with relatively low attach rates (10%?) there was virtually no overhead unlike standard big-box store distribution, so they still came out ahead.

It's just that DOOM was so big that there was an insatiable appetite for retail releases for a two year period.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Mind you, people were also buying crap like D!ZONE in stores which was nothing more than levels you could legitimately download from idgames FTP mirrors for free.

At 33.6kbps or lower, this would take quite a while (and that's assuming you had internet access for your Doom box, which was not a given like it is today), so compilation discs still had some value

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

haveblue posted:

At 33.6kbps or lower, this would take quite a while (and that's assuming you had internet access for your Doom box, which was not a given like it is today), so compilation discs still had some value
When I was a kid I remember asking my dad permission to download Memento Mori II because it was like 4MB and that was going to tie up the phone line for 30 minutes

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

haveblue posted:

The struggle was real. If memory serves my 14.4kbps modem would take around 5 minutes to download a megabyte, and that was connected to a reliable ftp.cdrom.com mirror. You might not get a great signal to noise ratio on a disc full of levels scraped off of /idgames, but if you just wanted easy access to Doom content to while away a few weekends, there were worse ways to spend your money. That didn’t make them good, mind you.

In hindsight I think part of my night owl tendencies was down to having uninterrupted access to the phone line after 9 pm, when phone calls dried up and I could commandeer the line for myself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Never made sense to me that people ragged on those packs for distributing stuff you could get on an FTP. I had to schedule time just to play a C&C match.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Volte posted:

When I was a kid I remember asking my dad permission to download Memento Mori II because it was like 4MB and that was going to tie up the phone line for 30 minutes

Probably a lot longer than that if it was 4MB; I remember downloading the Quake shareware on a modem was perilous since it was a huge 8MB or something like that and it tied up the phone for hours

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We didn't have internet access until I was like 15, but then we got broadband. I had to deal with dialup and AOL when hanging out with friends that had internet before I did but I never had it myself.

My first online game was q2, and I had played through the single player campaign several times before getting internet access.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I had ethernet in the quake 1 era

it was about as fair as you'd think

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiny Timbs posted:

Never made sense to me that people ragged on those packs for distributing stuff you could get on an FTP. I had to schedule time just to play a C&C match.

In hindsight it feels kind of scummy to just take a bunch of maps from the Internet and sell them on a CD without compensation to the map makers.

Of course I say this while looking at several Shareware CD collections I own.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
loving lpbs

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
My parents hung on to having two phones lines with dial up internet instead of getting broadband for a very long time lol

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Those D!Zone-style commercial bundles were always inscrutable to child-me because they seemed so weirdly unprofessional, yet I couldn't conceive of where all of this content was coming from.

It was only a few years later with stuff like Build.exe that I realized this was all poo poo that random people were making.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Not sure about Doom 2, but small indie games nowadays often sell more copies than Doom 1 did in its first year based on what I've dug up. Probably a testament to just how much PC gaming has grown since then, along with digital distribution versus mail, but it probably also speaks to the amount of people that were satisfied with the shareware version and piracy of the registered version.

I know Nintendo would do "Player's Choice" version for million sellers, and there weren't a ton of those back in the day, but there certainly were a good handful. But also that's the console market.

I believe someone stated publicly that D!ZONE sold more copies at retail did than D2.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 10, 2024

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Probably a separate conversation but game sales numbers have just become very different over the years.

We get those news stories every so often that a game is $40 3 weeks after release, and the studio is getting shuttered, and there's no chance of a sequel, because it "only" sold 3 million copies or whatever. In my head a million still feels like a lot, because I'm pretty sure that growing up with gaming in the 90's, 1 million sales was a lot.

Regardless of the breakdown of Doom and Doom 2 sales, I guess it's no secret at this point that they were.. extremely lucrative for id.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My cousin had a legit copy of Doom 2. My god, the jealousy I had was almost palpable. I remember sitting next to him, watching him slowly trudge through the game.

It's so weird how Doom and Doom 2 felt back then compared to now. I don't know if it's just the keyboard-only, low fps gameplay compared to the mods and updates to the gzdoom/official Unity engine now, but it almost feels like an entirely different game.

That kind of 'spectacle' just carries an entirely different vibe for both games than it does now. They're still fantastic, practically perfect, but I'll never truly seem them how I saw them back then.

Maybe it's because I didn't yet know what was around a given corner, or what challenges I'd be facing, what guns I'd be given yet, whereas now, those games are mapped out and charted down to the last byte. But that sort of indescribable feeling, while not necessary to enjoy the games, is gone now.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I had a legit copy of Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom. I didn't even know about software piracy back then and I don't even know how I would have obtained it since CD burners weren't a thing and there was no way the internet connection (did I even have an internet connection at that point? I can't remember...) could have sustained the download. Was there a multi-floppy release?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

... I don't know if it's just the keyboard-only ...
That's a you problem, Doom was designed for mouse and keyboard (albeit not the WASD layout we're used to today).

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Volte posted:

I had a legit copy of Doom 2 and Ultimate Doom. I didn't even know about software piracy back then and I don't even know how I would have obtained it since CD burners weren't a thing and there was no way the internet connection (did I even have an internet connection at that point? I can't remember...) could have sustained the download. Was there a multi-floppy release?

There was a media chain called Hastings that got into big trouble in the 90s for renting out PC games… Doom II among them. Maybe something like that?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Volte posted:

That's a you problem, Doom was designed for mouse and keyboard (albeit not the WASD layout we're used to today).

I have a floppy copy (lol) in the loft right now! I think Ultimate DOOM and Hexen, which released in 1995, only came out on CD-ROM though

edit: that said, the original DOOM was on floppy and episode 4 was a free patch (was this the first ever DLC?) so would have been easy to get around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 10, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Volte posted:

The original games released on floppy disks, when cdroms (burners or readers) were not a thing for most people. Doom 2 was five, I believe?

And of course, there was software piracy with people copying the floppy disks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
We definitely "rented" Doom 2 from some random store that used to be around. Which basically automatically put you on the road to piracy since you couldn't play it without installing it.

And for games that did have copyright protection systems involving looking up pages the manual... Well, we had a photocopier.

In hindsight, I guess this was an added incentive for them to start adding FMVs to games in the CD era.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 10, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
As someone who was terrible at keeping track of packaging and manuals, copy protection stymied me as a legit owner probably more so than it did pirates. I definitely remember being locked out of playing The Lost Vikings because I lost the manual and you needed to enter specific words from the manual to install it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

My parents hung on to having two phones lines with dial up internet instead of getting broadband for a very long time lol

I'm surprised I got ISDN (two 64K channels so I could use internet and have a phone line active) way too early in like 1998, while 99% of homes in here barely had dial-up. It wasn't a good line for downloading but latency with my dedicated card was superb (talking about a 18-25ms ping from Spain to german servers for example) so it was waaaay better than the DSL they started offering in early 2000's

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

haveblue posted:

loving lpbs

Lots of memories of playing C&C & StarCraft online, with ***56K NO*** in the lobby titles :allears:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sir Lemming posted:

We definitely "rented" Doom 2 from some random store that used to be around. Which basically automatically put you on the road to piracy since you couldn't play it without installing it.

And for games that did have copyright protection systems involving looking up pages the manual... Well, we had a photocopier.

In hindsight, I guess this was an added incentive for them to start adding FMVs to games in the CD era.

The best copy protection was for F-19 Stealth Fighter where you had to identify an aircraft from a top down line drawing of it, ostensibly by looking it up in the manual. In practice they were all so distinct if you had any interest in flight sims you'd learn it near instantly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Volte posted:

Yeah, I know, but I was, at the time, so used to using keyboard only for Wolf3D, it'd be a couple years before I used m+kb. And I know that you could also use your mouth (edit: MOUSE. :negative:) with Wolf3D.

I should mention that one of the reasons Doom and Doom 2 feel so much different to me when I look back when they were released is because I actually wasn't allowed to play either of them. I had like years-long FOMO, so watching my cousin play his Brand New Copy of Doom 2 was definitely an experience.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And I know that you could also use your mouth with Wolf3D.

:stare:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I should just go to bed for the rest of the day.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Bumhead posted:

We get those news stories every so often that a game is $40 3 weeks after release, and the studio is getting shuttered, and there's no chance of a sequel, because it "only" sold 3 million copies or whatever.

lol, posted this earlier today and now I'm sat reading about how EA cancelled a Dead Space 2 remake due to low sales and the studio have been sent to work on Marvel poo poo.

What's the over/under on Dead Space selling over 3 million copies?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I remember playing QWTF on a 28.8k modem. Being an HPB I knew there was lag, but having never experienced anything but 250+ pings at best, it was hard to realize how bad that disadvantage was. About a year in my dad god a cable modem, and I immediately went from no name clans to one of the better teams that played at the top of various QWTF leagues like Stronger Than All and Iron Glove.

Now I feel like I’m moving a mouse through molasses if I have a high two digit ping.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lots of memories of playing C&C & StarCraft online, with ***56K NO*** in the lobby titles :allears:

They didn't say anything about 28.8 >_>

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

The registered version of DOOM was a 4x3.5" floppy release that was regularly updated through 1994-95 (1.1, 1.2, 1.666, 1.9). There was also a CD-ROM release of DOOM 1.9 that came out in Spring 1995 before the Ultimate DOOM--Romero claims this is the rarest release, although coincidentally I actually bought it at this time and still have it.

The Ultimate DOOM was a retail-only release, primarily on CD-ROM. I don't know if they ever made a floppy-disk version of it. As others have mentioned, owners of the registered version of DOOM could download a free patch for the Ultimate DOOM from the idgames FTP mirrors.

The retail version of DOOM II was a simultaneous 5x3.5" floppy and CD-ROM release. The CD-ROM version was v1.666, while the floppy version was updated at least once (I had v1.7). These were sold in nearly-identical looking big boxes at retail. However the initial CD-ROM print run sold out quickly in late 1994, so for a while you might only find the floppy version.

The way all these versions worked is that the installation media contained a copy of id's "DeICE" installer, which copied and concatenated a self-extracting .zip or .lzh executable, split across each of the media, to a hard disk. Once that was reconstructed on the hard disk, the self-extractor would run and effectively "unzip" a single folder of contents which was the game, and then run SETUP.EXE. Like most DOS games, the folder was self-contained, so pirates could just ignore DeICE, and re-zip/rar/arj/ace/(others?) the install folder for distribution.

In general, DeICE was pretty flexible. id outsourced distribution for Europe/Oceana/etc. and so I think there's "official" 5.25" releases in those regions. It wasn't hard to re-package and modify the installer payload as needed.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The retail version of DOOM II was a simultaneous 5x3.5" floppy and CD-ROM release. The CD-ROM version was v1.666, while the floppy version was updated at least once (I had v1.7). These were sold in nearly-identical looking big boxes at retail. However the initial CD-ROM print run sold out quickly in late 1994, so for a while you might only find the floppy version.
My CD-ROM copy of Doom II was definitely v1.7a, and I definitely bought it in either 1995 or 1996

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The registered version of DOOM was a 4x3.5" floppy release that was regularly updated through 1994-95 (1.1, 1.2, 1.666, 1.9). There was also a CD-ROM release of DOOM 1.9 that came out in Spring 1995 before the Ultimate DOOM--Romero claims this is the rarest release, although coincidentally I actually bought it at this time and still have it.

The Ultimate DOOM was a retail-only release, primarily on CD-ROM. I don't know if they ever made a floppy-disk version of it. As others have mentioned, owners of the registered version of DOOM could download a free patch for the Ultimate DOOM from the idgames FTP mirrors.

The way all these versions worked is that the installation media contained a copy of id's "DeICE" installer, which copied and concatenated a self-extracting .zip or .lzh executable, split across each of the media, to a hard disk. Once that was reconstructed on the hard disk, the self-extractor would run and effectively "unzip" a single folder of contents which was the game, and then run SETUP.EXE. Like most DOS games, the folder was self-contained, so pirates could just ignore DeICE, and re-zip/rar/arj/ace/(others?) the install folder for distribution.

In general, DeICE was pretty flexible. id outsourced distribution for Europe/Oceana/etc. and so I think there's "official" 5.25" releases in those regions. It wasn't hard to re-package and modify the installer payload as needed.

Yeah - a buddy of mine plonking along on a 386DX/40 reached out to me when one of his Ultimate Doom 3.5” floppies went bad; five minutes looking through my CD copy for floppy #4’s data file and a sacrificial AOL floppy later, I had him fixed up. I think it was possible to get 5.25” floppies for Doom II in the U.S. but you had to provide proof of purchase to their help line and they’d mail them to you. Once CD burners were common I made it a habit to make Doom care packages for people with fun WADs, I didn’t give a poo poo about piracy once id had made a pile of money.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hasturtium posted:

I think it was possible to get 5.25” floppies for Doom II in the U.S.

Just doing some quick math that's 12 discs, if they were using the highest capacity 5.25" floppies.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just doing some quick math that's 12 discs, if they were using the highest capacity 5.25" floppies.

Doom II was on what, five 1.44mb floppies? And the highest capacity 5.25" was 1.2Mb so how do you get to 12?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was just thinking 14mb/1.2mb

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

I was just thinking 14mb/1.2mb

Doom’s install files were compressed: as you came to the end of each floppy it essentially wrote those contents out as a continuation to whatever had already been committed to the hard drive, then when all the data had been concatenated it creates a self-extracting archive, unpacks the contents into the install folder, deletes the self-extracting file once that’s complete, and runs SETUP.EXE. I think Doom II and Ultimate Doom used 6 or 7 5.25” floppies each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Doom II was on what, five 1.44mb floppies? And the highest capacity 5.25" was 1.2Mb so how do you get to 12?

Original Doom release was four floppies and Doom 2 five (counting 1.44mb ones of course). Never seen the 5.25" release in EU tho