Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Anybody wearing a helmet on the road gets a wave because safety is important and should be encouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

aww, they think they're bikers

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Motorcycles only attract dudes.

Raw gay horsepower and all

It most definitely does. About half my dates start with 'Hey, wanna go for a ride on the back of my bike?' and often the answer is 'Ooh, scary but yes!'
The last guy wore a rainbow scarf, so there really was no possibility for bystanders to wave the queerneess away with a 'Oh, perhaps they're just two good clean straight friends that just so happen to be wearing form fitting race leathers'.

Guy was tall AF. Every corner i made, me and the bike tipped in first and i could feel his torso follow half a second later lol. SV650s aren't the best for tall guys on the back. Oh well. I imagine it looked a bit like this:

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 5, 2024

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

I find myself instinctively waving at what I perceive to be any kind of recreational vehicle. Rightly or wrongly, this includes Jeeps.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wave to anything on two wheels on open roads. Inside the city I'm usually too busy keeping track of everything else to wave unless I'm sitting still.

If I meet a particularly cool car it gets a wave too.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I hate feeling obligated to wave to everyone

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

It felt weird waving to trikes at first but then I realize who cares, let people enjoy ridding however they choose to do it, a lot of them are probably terrible boomers but we can all pretend for a moment we are all one community united by the joy of ridding

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wave at dogs too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Old forum adage, 4 wheels bad, 2 wheels good. With trikes getting a pass.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Russian Bear posted:

Old forum adage, 4 wheels bad, 2 wheels good. With trikes getting a pass.

Do chariots also get a pass or..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgnwEOFWYk

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
To the surprise of everyone in Colorado including me, one of the perennial no-hope lane filtering bills passed.

Lane filtering legal in Colorado starting Aug 7th, to auto-sunset in three years unless extended.

Edit: for anyone outside the US who probably doesn’t know US geography by heart, these filtering laws are all passing in a zone of the US called the Mountain West, the layer of states between the west coast and the center of the country. Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Montana.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 5, 2024

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

aka the good part. good for colorado though that rules

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
I usually do the side tilt nod because I've got too much going on with cars around me for a wave.

Even seen someone do the foot drop wave thing that I thought was only a European custom.

But yeah, two wheels and a motor, you're getting a nod. Harley riders don't like it but deal with it.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Ulf posted:

to auto-sunset in three years unless extended.

:rip:

(did any of the other states include a sunset? I'm stuck in the midwest and haven't been paying much attention)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Best we'll get is maybe chicago does some lane splitting stuff, but if you're in any smaller cities its a big nope

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

it can't be any harder to legalize lane splitting than weed dammit

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Texas explicitly banned filtering but it shaves my commute in half so gently caress the police

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

thats pretty ballsy because the one time i filtered in 100 plus degree heat almost got me killed from the multiple bubbas trying to put their trucks/doors in my way. gently caress texas its a garbage state to live in/ride in and i thank satan i dont live there anymore.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I haven't been doored and quite a few people have made room for me. I assume these are the Californians that Texans love to say are ruining the state.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yay Colorado! Filtering has been awesome since they legalized it couple year ago.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Im finally doing it.

Booked a flight to Tokyo for September and a bike for 8 days, going to be riding around Kanto region, hitting up a couple recommended motorcycle routes and seeing Mt Fuji.

Probably need to buy some more intense heat appropriate gear, I except it will be around 30-40c this year there at that time, 30c in the Alps last year in the Drystar Andes gear was a bit on the hotter side.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Arson Daily posted:

thats pretty ballsy because the one time i filtered in 100 plus degree heat almost got me killed from the multiple bubbas trying to put their trucks/doors in my way. gently caress texas its a garbage state to live in/ride in and i thank satan i dont live there anymore.

People in Vegas tried to door me in the 100+ summer temps.
I shut my fzr down and blocked the travel lane until it was cool enough to proceed. In afternoon rush hour. gently caress yall. You wanna be crabs in a pot we can be crabs in a pot.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

cursedshitbox posted:

People in Vegas tried to door me

Straight up psychopath poo poo, I really don't understand people :psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Like, what’s their plan if you were actually to hit their door? You’re gonna ruin their door, they’re gonna gently caress up your bike, you’re probably going to get pushed into the car next to you, so now there’s collateral damage.

Literal toddler brain poo poo.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

People in Vegas tried to door me in the 100+ summer temps.
I shut my fzr down and blocked the travel lane until it was cool enough to proceed. In afternoon rush hour. gently caress yall. You wanna be crabs in a pot we can be crabs in a pot.

gently caress yeah. ive filtered a few times in reno when the highway has been dead stopped due to accidents and nobodys tried anything. possibly due to our proximity to cali? idk, but thankfully peeps seem to be a little better around motorcycles than in other places

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Like, what’s their plan if you were actually to hit their door? You’re gonna ruin their door, they’re gonna gently caress up your bike, you’re probably going to get pushed into the car next to you, so now there’s collateral damage.

Literal toddler brain poo poo.

Then they get to have a fistfight with someone in armor.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot what country you're in. "Then they shoot you to death."

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
Do they have speed restrictions on filtering there? Ours is sub 30km/hr 18mph which at least helps reduce getting doored by giving more reaction time.

Thankfully most people here are so precious about their hundred grand dodge rams (that barely fit in the lane) or Teslas that they just block the lane a bit more as a gently caress you. Worst I have had to worry about is the on the phone idiots in cars or the sudden dart to another lane with no indication poo poo.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reply with “Hi, why is this available?” instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What a deal you get buying both at once

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Should have listed it as vintage not used

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I keep thinking the black bar is a spoiler lol

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
FB marketplace is wild.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

There was a brief period a couple years ago where an errant driveshaft on the highway ripped the oil pain and transmission housing apart on my car, and someone thought "yield" was open to interpretation and nailed the rear quarter of my SUV, and I had to rent a Jeep Wrangler for a month.

It's the second worst vehicle I've ever driven. As aerodynamic and comfortable to drive as a woodshed, and having to drive it in December meant that frigid air would leak in through the considerable number of massive gaps throughout the vehicle. But by far the worst part was random dickheads giving me the Jeep wave constantly. I'm driving a base model white 4dr Jeep Wrangler in northern Massachusetts, I'm not exactly the master of offroading here you knobs.

I avoid Jeep Wranglers while I'm riding because I assume those people are lunatics or distracted by the nonsense configuration on the inside of their vehicle.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
This is a nightmare that keeps getting worse the longer you look at it.

Stolen from Reddit.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i used to use zipcar a lot and it gave me the opportunity to drive a variety of cars. i was excited to drive the jeeps because my uncle used to have one and i always thought they looked cool. every single jeep i rented had something mechanically wrong with it. like a weird noise or the check engine light or something. plus they handle like poo poo and the interiors feel really low quality and plasticy. v dissapointing

the other big lesson from my time with zipcar: mini coopers own

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Geekboy posted:

lmao my favorite part is probably the load 'secured' with a rope tied to the swing arm

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Good chain tension

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Stolen from Reddit.

The first thing I noticed was the Texas plate, so I already started at the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

MSPain posted:

lmao my favorite part is probably the load 'secured' with a rope tied to the swing arm

First thing for me was the tyre that's down to the cords (someone likes doing burnouts),