Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Half of Dracula posted:

I assume that's what escaflowne is about

no that had them fighting Isaac Newton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Reminder that fan translations are ftw

this is more or less how the dq builders 2 official translation goes, its ftw

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Reminder that fan translations are ftw

how ya liking dqm2 3ds

i got up to about the sky world and fell off of it

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Plant MONSTER. posted:

whats the anime where Helen Keller is a magical blond swan woman and some guys fight nietzsche and hitler

ah, I have heard of this one. the Aristocrats.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Southern Cassowary posted:

how ya liking dqm2 3ds

i got up to about the sky world and fell off of it

I absolutely love it. Considering it a contender for one of the best monster collecting games.

Al! posted:

this is more or less how the dq builders 2 official translation goes, its ftw

DQB2 is also a contender for one of my favorite games period. I prefer it to Minecraft.

Plant MONSTER. has a new favorite as of 18:00 on Apr 9, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i would like to see a disgaea style tactical rpg set in the dragon quest universe. did they ever make one of those?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i do not believe so. they should

also had a brief intrusive thought of a dragon quest xcom, which would be funny

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the first dq game I ever played all the way through was Rocket Slime, I thought the giant tank battles were fun!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the first dq game I ever played all the way through was Rocket Slime, I thought the giant tank battles were fun!

Replaying Rocket Slime now, can confirm the giant tank battles are still a lot of fun.

It's a crime we never got the 3DS Rocket Slime with giant ship battles in English. Square Enix needs to do a compilation of all three in English for the Switch.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Plant MONSTER. posted:

DQB2 is also a contender for one of my favorite games period. I prefer it to Minecraft.

it is better than minecraft and my only note for a sequel would be to massively expand the types of specialized rooms you can build and maybe make the requirements for certain types of rooms more obvious. getting an itch as we speak

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Al! posted:

it is better than minecraft and my only note for a sequel would be to massively expand the types of specialized rooms you can build and maybe make the requirements for certain types of rooms more obvious. getting an itch as we speak

I also had what seemed like some legit bugs with rooms registering once you start making more complex buildings.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I played Mahjong in Yakuza Kiwami late last year and I have already forgotten the basics. That is my experience.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yakuza Mahjong is a fun, relaxing break from the action and the animations for winning just keep getting better.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its just Bridge

i dont know how to play Bridge either

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bridge is a trick-taking game so I think it's actually more like koi-koi.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

no that had them fighting Isaac Newton

Wasn't that Read Or Die?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

qnqnx posted:

I played Mahjong in Yakuza Kiwami late last year and I have already forgotten the basics. That is my experience.

the basic are finding the peerless tile and then crushing your opponents

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
they should make balatro but for mahjong

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Martman posted:

you sick gently caress. sounds good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Martman posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2861660/ULTIMAHJONG/

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Martman posted:

shanghai with jokers

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Al! posted:

i would like to see a disgaea style tactical rpg set in the dragon quest universe. did they ever make one of those?

That exists (Dragon Quest Tact) but bad news it's a mobile game.

Edit: And apparently end of service'd in February

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
It's rummy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

welcome posted:

It's rummy.

this

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Plant MONSTER. posted:

whats the anime where Helen Keller is a magical blond swan woman and some guys fight nietzsche and hitler

Princess Tutu

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I will never play the mahjong or shoji substories in Yakuza Zero and that makes me sad because I want to see everything I can in this game, but I'm not learning two whole new games for that purpose. I have a job, dude.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
just grab a buddy who LOVES majong ( and everybody has one) invite them over and have them play it and cuddle up

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HoAssHo posted:

I will never play the mahjong or shoji substories in Yakuza Zero and that makes me sad because I want to see everything I can in this game, but I'm not learning two whole new games for that purpose. I have a job, dude.

On someone on the yakuza threads recommendation I fed the moves into a shogi game against the computer at hardest difficulty and replicated it in game.

It worked but was essentially just doing a data entry job to relax. I didn’t get enough points for anything good and I will not be doing it again

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

the epic part is not really knowing shogi and just loving around and learning as you go. thats what kiryu would do

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if youve played any betting card games before you can pick up mahjong v quickly

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Trying to calculate the amount of life I lost on gwent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Almost every game has a cheat item that literally tells you where to move the pieces every turn in shogi.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Almost every game has a cheat item that literally tells you where to move the pieces every turn in shogi.

okay this is good to know

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kiryu wins by taking a long time consulting a book in his lap and having intimidatingly large fingernails.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kiryu wins because if he loses he'll hit you with a bicycle

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same with pocket circuit

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

Kiryu wins by taking a long time consulting a book in his lap and having intimidatingly large fingernails.

All the dudes in LAD have freakishly large hands

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Kiryu's determination to excel at every single little challenge he hears about is, probably, my favourite thing about him. He hears some random dudes on the street talk about this new (let's say) marble game and next thing you know he's spending literal millions in the best possible marbles the black market can give you.

Also he looks so sad whenever he loses a pocket circuit race.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fate has somehow still not succumbed to the temptation to make Hitler a big titty anime woman yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
I finally gave in and started the Yakuza series a while back thanks mostly to this thread. Played through Zero, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2. Trying to get through 3, but it's a bit jarring to lose so many of the quality of life improvements of the Kiwamis (also stop loving blocking you assholes)