Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

house prices in my neighborhood are down almost exactly 10% yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/M48James/status/1777189259084259382

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ikanreed posted:

No need for the ethnic slur, you can just call them brits

:qq: evil seeseepee destroying chinese culture by not tolerating our mafias :qq:

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i think the shield build is a lot better and versatile than the niche dual wield build

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ming dude needs to be power stancing those clubs, rookie mistake

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I've been listening the U.S. naval war institute stuff and the big brain plan for China is basically we don't wanna risk our precious American boys defending Taiwan, so lets starve out China like we did to Japan during WW2. I mean like no duh, but the implication is you starve everyone to death on on China occupied Taiwan as well, who the gently caress are they kidding when they talk about defending Taiwan. The way they talk about needing to be tougher unlike the way they were in Iraq, the loving need to "sterilize" all these civilian populations, these people are complete loving monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNiHBIXhzzc&t=1224s

"This episode is brought to you Raytheon Missiles and Defense the Spy 6 family of radars is not just revolutionary, it's ready now, Spy 6 is being integrated on ships across the fleet to provide greater range, increased sensitivity, and more accurate discrimination for air and missile defense learn more at rtx.com/spy6"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aFqM4ES40

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
not a big surprise that the dying empire would fall back on genocidal fantasies

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gildiss posted:

*Nancy Pelosi kneeling before congress wearing a Uyghur hat*

"Donghua is not Jinlong for this world."

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MinutePirateBug posted:

I've been listening the U.S. naval war institute stuff and the big brain plan for China is basically we don't wanna risk our precious American boys defending Taiwan, so lets starve out China like we did to Japan during WW2. I mean like no duh, but the implication is you starve everyone to death on on China occupied Taiwan as well, who the gently caress are they kidding when they talk about defending Taiwan. The way they talk about needing to be tougher unlike the way they were in Iraq, the loving need to "sterilize" all these civilian populations, these people are complete loving monsters.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
it is kinda funny how us war planning basically boils down to "we can do anything we want and it will definitely work so we're gonna win"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

look the man says they'll cut off China's protein supplies, like everyone knows normal human beings require a constant daily influx of burger to survive

and jizz

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/thatguybg/status/1776755582562709823?t=zGGgArjxqFQ-yej_dgUmjg&s=19

https://twitter.com/RatRaceRunning/status/1777142330036035788?t=RkhpOehCqdhQN5axiwc1BA&s=19

I know I just shouldn't touch the poop but it is loving impossible to have a conversation with liberals about this. It all boils down to

"it can't possibly be exploitative because they're paying three times as much as local companies, who pay and treat people worse"

combined with

"oh if it's exploitative I guess we shouldn't take those jobs then? Do you want people to starve???"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Laughing at China's aging population while planning to overcome their own through increased immigration, only to have international workers remote in? This poo poo should be immediately encouraged and entrenched. DTA.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
it wouldn't be happening if it wasn't exploitative, an acquaintance in college once told me about how he was using street people for his start up recycling business because of how cheap they are. This is a country of really smug sociopaths.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/DongshengNews/status/1777468686334321052

i can't believe that xi pressed the communism button for the real estate sector

president xi please fire the missiles. Australia yearns for affordable housing.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Holding my iphone sideways as a gunman zooms in from an undisclosed location.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/thatguybg/status/1776755582562709823?t=zGGgArjxqFQ-yej_dgUmjg&s=19

https://twitter.com/RatRaceRunning/status/1777142330036035788?t=RkhpOehCqdhQN5axiwc1BA&s=19

I know I just shouldn't touch the poop but it is loving impossible to have a conversation with liberals about this. It all boils down to

"it can't possibly be exploitative because they're paying three times as much as local companies, who pay and treat people worse"

combined with

"oh if it's exploitative I guess we shouldn't take those jobs then? Do you want people to starve???"

I have heard this talking point for as long as I have been alive. In the 90s it was Nike's sweatshops with the same pushback.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

In Training posted:

I have heard this talking point for as long as I have been alive. In the 90s it was Nike's sweatshops with the same pushback.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In Training posted:

wait until you find out about hong kong domestic workers

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Lmfao that chart shows that car prices have been falling every year except for during the chip shortage during the pandemic

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Lmfao that chart shows that car prices have been falling every year except for during the chip shortage during the pandemic

fake news already discussed. see:

https://x.com/yoshiefuruhashi/status/1776938887610339412

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I'm reading one of those magnum opus mid-century histories where someone sat down to write a universal history, this one by Toynbee. I'm struggling to parse this section, if anyone has insight, both about what he's trying to say and how accurate it is:

A Communist Russia's Chinese Fifth Column

It remained to be seen whether a Chinese peasantry whose disillusionment with the KMT had been a decisive though imponderable factor in turning the scales would find an effective remedy for its ills in the Communist prescription or would relish the prescribed regimen even if it were to prove capable of producing its promised effect; but it was already clear that the military and ideological conquest of China by Communism in A.D. 1949 was the latest move in a Russian assault on the main body of the Far Eastern Society which by that date had been in progress for some three hundred years--though this was the first operation in which the Russian strategists had commanded the services of a Chinese 'fifth column'.

In the second quarter of the seventeenth century of the Christian Era, when the Japanese were breaking of their tentative relations with an Early Modern Western Christendom and when Manchu empire-builders who had already passed the Willow Palisade were preparing to make their passage through the Great Wall, the Manchus were taken in the rear by Cossack pioneers of an expanding Russian Orthodox Christendom who had burst into the Upper Basin of the Amur River after successively outflanking Där-al-Isläm and the Eurasian Steppe. As soon as the Manchus had broken at least the overt resistance of Southern China, where their usurpation had been stubbornly contested, they turned upon these audacious Cossack trespassers on the Manchurian pasture-lands that were the reservoir of Manchu barbarian man-power, and drove the intruders back to a line which the Imperial Russian Government found itself compelled to accept de jure as the frontier between the two Powers and to respect de facto for a hundred and sixty- eight years folowing the conclusion, at Nerchinsk, of the Russo-Manchu peace treaty of A.D. 1689.

This treaty provided for the maintenance of an authorized channel for overland trade between the two empires, and of a Russian embassy and church at Peking; but, throughout the next two centuries, the impact of Russia on China overland was felt only faintly by comparison with the maritime impact of the Portuguese and their more aggressive British and French successors. T'he concessions exacted from China by the maritime Western Powers as the victors' spoils in the wars of AD 1839-42 and
AD 1857-60 cut Chinese sensibilities to the quick; but, when, in A.D. 1857, Russia righted the balance of competitive aggression at China's expense by compelling the Manchu Imperial Government to cede to Russia their title to all the territory that the peace settlement of A.D. 1689 had assigned to the Manchu Empire on the left bank of the Amur and the right bank of the Ussuri, neither the Chinese people nor even their Manchu masters were sensibly affected by the loss of these then still empty border territories; and they seem hardly to have noticed the construction of a new Russian port at Vladivostok. The Chinese did not become apprehensively aware of Russia's
advancing shadow till A.D. 1897, when the Russian Navy occupied Port Arthur as Russia's prize in a scramble between the Powers of the Western World for the seizure of naval bases on China's coasts, and AD.. 1900, when, taking advantage of the imbroglio with the maritime Western Powers in which China had been involved by a 'Zealot' movement culminating in the xenophobe Boxer Rebellion, the Russian Army swooped upon Manchuria and planted itself-in the footprints of the Manchus on the eve of the Manchu conquest of Intramural China 250 years back—at the threshold of Shanhaikwan, the vital passage between the mountains and the sea which was Intramural China's Thermopylae.

The sequel to this Russian seizure of Manchuria in AD. . 1897-1900, like the sequel to the preceding Japanese victory over China in AD. . 1894-5, was to demonstrate the vanity of Militarism. It was in vain that the Russians sought to consolidate their territorial gains in the Far East, and to prepare the way for extending them farther, by pressing a new-fangled Western mechanical invention into the service of the archaic crime of military aggression. The Russian-built railway linking Vladivostok and Port Arthur with St. Petersburg notably surpassed the North American transcontinental railways in its length, and challenged comparison with them in the rapidity of its construction; yet, in performing this feat, the Russian railway engineers were working unwittingly for the Japanese. The South Manchurian section of the Russian-built railway-system was transferred to Japanese hands in the
peace-settlement following the defeat of Russia in the Russo-Japanese War of A.D. 1904-5; and, a generation later, Russia was compelled to advertise her then still unretrieved military inferiority to Japan in the Far Eastern zone of contact between the two Powers by agreeing to the forced sale to Japan, at a derisory price, of the trunk line of the Russian transcontinental railway within the frontiers of the newly conquered Japanese puppet state of 'Manchukuo'. When Japanese militarism, in its turn, met with its nemesis at American hands, Russia was enabled- as an incidental consequence of American prowess in naval warfare and in atomic physics-to take her revenge for forty-three years of humiliation by rounding up the once redoubtable Japanese Kwantung Army in a lightning campaign of twenty-five days. But there was no evidence that in AD 1945 Russia could have defeated Japan in Manchuria if she had had to depend solely on her own military strength; and, in the sequel, the sensational resumption of a Russian advance beyond the limits of Manchuria which had been checked in AD 1904-5 by Japanese arms was accomplished, without any direct Russian military action at all, through the operation of Russian ideas and ideals on Chinese minds and hearts.

In spite of the establishment of a Russian Orthodox Christian mission at Peking since A.D. 1689, Russian Orthodox Christianity had never gained in China any influence comparable to that of Modern Western Roman Catholicism and Protestantism. So long as the competition between the West and Russia for the spiritual conquest of Chinese souls was conducted on a common Christian basis, the preponderance of the Western spiritual influence was overwhelming. But the balance of impinging alien spiritual forces in the Chinese arena changed when the substitution of Liberalism for Christianity as the gospel of the West was followed by the substitution of Communism for Christianity as the gospel of Russia. Communism could plausibly claim to ofter a more practically relevant remedy than Liberalism for the ills of a society that was being worsted by the problem of a peasantry whose expectations had been heightened while its habits remained unchanged; and by AD 1952 the programme of the Chinese Communist leaders had not yet been discredited by a discrepancy between profession and practice which had already destroyed the credit of the Kuomintang.

Thus in China, as in other living non-Western societies, the middle years of the twentieth century of the Christian Era witnessed the delivery of a Russian challenge to the influence of a Modern Western Civilization which had appeared to have the whole World at its feet before the out- break of the First World War in AD.. 1914.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

hold on... how come India isn't communist??
Cultivating Minds: The Psychological Consequences of Rice versus Wheat Farming

marginalrevolution.com - Mon, 08 Apr 2024 posted:

It’s long been argued that the means of production influence social, cultural and psychological processes. Rice farming, for example, requires complex irrigation systems under communal management and intense, coordinated labor. Thus, it has been argued that successful rice farming communities tend to develop people with collectivist orientations, and cultural ways of thinking that emphasize group harmony and interdependence. In contrast, wheat farming, which requires less labor and coordination is associated with more individualistic cultures that value independence and personal autonomy. Implicit in Turner’s Frontier hypothesis, for example, is the idea that not only could a young man say ‘take this job and shove it’ and go west but once there they could establish a small, viable wheat farm (or other dry crop).

There is plenty of evidence for these theories. Rice cultures around the world do tend to exhibit similar cultural characteristics, including less focus on self, more relational or holistic thinking and greater in-group favoritism than wheat cultures. Similar differences exist between the rice and dry crop areas of China. The differences exist but is the explanation rice and wheat farming or are there are other genetic, historical or random factors at play?

A new paper by Talhelm and Dong in Nature Communications uses the craziness of China’s Cultural Revolution to provide causal evidence in favor of the rice and wheat farming theory of culture. After World War II ended, the communist government in China turned soldiers into farmers arbitrarily assigning them to newly created farms around the country–including two farms in Northern Ningxia province that were nearly identical in temperature, rainfall and acreage but one of the firms lay slightly above the river and one slightly below the river making the latter more suitable for rice farming and the former for wheat. During the Cultural Revolution, youth were shipped off to the farms “with very little preparation or forethought”. Thus, the two farms ended up in similar environments with similar people but different modes of production.

Talhelm and Dong measure thought style with a variety of simple experiments which have been shown in earlier work to be associated with collectivist and individualist thinking. When asked to draw circles representing themselves and friends or family, for example, people tend to self-inflate their own circle but they self-inflate more in individualist cultures.

The authors find that consistent with the differences across East and West and across rice and wheat areas in China, the people on the rice farm in Ningxia are more collectivistic in their thinking than the people on the wheat farm.

The differences are all in the same direction but somewhat moderated suggesting that the effects can be created quite quickly (a few generations) but become stronger the longer and more embedded they are in the wider culture.

I am reminded of an another great paper, this one by Leibbrandt, Gneezy, and List (LGL) that I wrote about in Learning to Compete and Cooperate. LGL look at two types of fishing villages in Brazil. The villages are close to one another but some of them are on the lake and some of them are on the sea coast. Lake fishing is individualistic but sea fishing requires a collective effort. LGL find that the lake fishermen are much more willing to engage in competition–perhaps having seen that individual effort pays off–than the sea fishermen for whom individual effort is much less efficacious. Unlike Talhelm and Dong, LGL don’t have random assignment, although I see no reason why the lake and sea fishermen should otherwise be different, but they do find that women, who neither lake nor sea fish, do not show the same differences. Thus, the differences seem to be tied quite closely to production learning rather than to broader culture.

How long does it take to imprint these styles of thinking? How long does it last? Is imprinting during child or young adulthood more effective than later imprinting? Can one find the same sorts of differences between athletes of different sports–e.g. rowing versus running? It’s telling, for example, that the only famous rowers I can think are the Winklevoss twins. Are attempts to inculcate these types of thinking successful on a more than surface level. I have difficulty believing that “you didn’t build that,” changes say relational versus holistic thinking but would styles of thinking change during a war?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What's confusing here? If you're the kind of brit who'd pine for the pre 1914 world it makes perfect sense to see Communism as an inessential detail in the Great game with Russia. Just as our guys can't really face the new world where China is rising and prefer to re-live the coldwar with the USSR.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

genericnick posted:

What's confusing here? If you're the kind of brit who'd pine for the pre 1914 world it makes perfect sense to see Communism as an inessential detail in the Great game with Russia. Just as our guys can't really face the rise of China and so are trying to re-live the coldwar with the USSR.

But why the comparison to Orthodoxy? Chinese socialism had a vanguard, but it clearly arose because of conditions within Chinese society and not a Russian attempt to outflank the British and French or whatever.

e: Oh, I think I get it. You're saying he's framing it entirely as a theatre of competition between East and West (ern Europe) rather than an Asian phenomenon?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

But why the comparison to Orthodoxy? Chinese socialism had a vanguard, but it clearly arose because of conditions within Chinese society and not a Russian attempt to outflank the British and French or whatever.

e: Oh, I think I get it. You're saying he's framing it entirely as a theatre of competition between East and West (ern Europe) rather than an Asian phenomenon?

Yes. And lame Eastern Christianity couldn't compete with superior Western Chritianity, but then comes degeneration and liberalism (shudder) so the new Russian faith of Communism could win out. That's how I read it anyway.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

genericnick posted:

Yes. And lame Eastern Christianity couldn't compete with superior Western Chritianity, but then comes degeneration and liberalism (shudder) so the new Russian faith of Communism could win out. That's how I read it anyway.

That would explain this passage. I looked up "Marxism" in the index and oh boy:

The intelligentsias' thus called into existence in Russia, the Islamic and Hindu worlds, and Japan in response to the ubiquitous challenge of the impact of the Modern West were, of course, successfully imbued by their makers with a genuine tincture of middle-class qualities-as was demonstrated by their partial success in inducting into a middle-class Modern Western way of life the non-Western societies from which they had been recruited. The Russian case suggests, however, that even this partial success might only be provisional and ephemeral. In Russia, as we have seen, Peter the Great's policy of adopting the Modern Western way of life in its orthodox middle-class form had been violently repudiated 28 years after Peter's effective advent to power in AD 1689. It had been supplanted in AD 1917 by the alternative policy of pressing forward with the acquisition and application of a Modern Western technology as an instrument for combating the orthodox middle-class Western ideology of Liberalism in the name of the heretical anti- bourgois Western ideology of Marxism.

This Marxian heresy had become the creed of a Russian intelligentsia which had originally been called into existence by the Petrine Tsardom to carry out the mission of bringing Russia into the middle-class Western fold; and, for at least three generations before the explosion on the political surface of life in the second Russian Revolution of AD 1917, an anti-bourgeois animus in the hearts of nineteenth century Russian intelligentsia had been finding a literary vent in the works of Russian writers. The wider significance of this chapter of Russian history lay in the fact that the movement for Westernization from above downwards had been started in Russia a hundred years earlier than in the Islamic, Hindu, and Japanese worlds; for this chronological datum suggested that the latest turn of events in Russia might be an augury of one of the possibilities that were lying in wait for those other non-Western worlds in chapters of their histories that were still in the future at a date mid-way through the twentieth century. The possibility that these other histories in their turn might eventually take a Russian course was, indeed, something nore than a mere theoretical induction from the Russian historical precedent. It was also implicit in an affinity between the Far Eastern, Hindu, and Islamic intelligentsias and the Russian intelligentsia that was already a matter of observable fact.

In the light of this anti-bourgeois turn which the Russian intelligentsia had already taken and towards which the other intelligentsias might be tending, it is perhaps worth pausing to look into the likenesses and the differences between the non-Western intelligentsias and the Western middle class whose role they had been commissioned to play in a non- Western social environment.

Odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris. nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.' (Because this is a mid-century book, the author provides no translation :smuggo: It's "I hate and I love. Why I do this, perhaps you ask. I do not know, but I feel it happening and I am tormented." a line from the Roman poet Catullus they used to make you memorize in school)

These two lines of Latin poetry enunciated the inexhaustible theme of a nineteenth-century Westernizing Russian literature whosemasterpieces ran to many volumes; and this testament of a Russian intelligentsia that had been able to relieve its own malaise by the masterly exercise of a singular gift for self-expression faithfully mirrored the experience of other intelligentsias, sentenced to the same Psyche's task, whose un- uttered woes might have been ignored if they had not found Russian spokesmen.

The intensity of an alien intelligentsia's hatred of the Western middle class gave the measure of that intelligentsia's foreboding of its own inability to emulate Western middle-class achievements. The classic instance, up to date, in which this embittering prescience had been justified by the event was the Russian intelligentsia's catastrophic failure, after the first of the two Russian revolutions in AD. . 1917, to carry out its fantastic mandate to transform the wreck of the Petrine Tsardom into a parliamentary constitutional state in the ninetcenth-century Western style. The Kerensky régime was a fiasco because it was saddled with the impracticable task of making bricks without straw. The Modern Western political system of responsible parliamentary government had been the creation of a middle class which had been sufficiently competent, experienced, prosperous, and numerous to come into political power when the time was ripe for it. In the social structure of the Russia of A.D. 1917 there was no corresponding element, and the Petrine Russian intelligentsia's inability to take a robust Western middle class's massive responsibilities on its own lean shoulders was demonstrated by its speedy collapse under the crushing weight of this unnatural burden. In this classic Russian instance, however, in which the action had been carried farther, mid-way through the twentieth century of the Christian Era, than in the history of any other encounter with the Modern West, the sequel had been no less quick in showing that an intelligentsia's failure to emulate the peculiar political achievement of the Western middle class was no evidence of inability to build any political structure of any kind. In Russia the same year AD.. 1917 that witnessed Kerensky's swift failure also witnessed Lenin's enduring success.

In Russia, before the year AD 1917 ran out, Lenin founded a polity of an original type which, in contrast to Kerensky's abortive essay in a conventional Western parliamentary régime, was constructed, not in obedience to a priori theory, but with a practical eye for dealing with an actual situation. As we have noticed in another context, Lenin's objective was to repeat, and thereby salvage, Peter the Great's achievement of saving Russia from succumbing to the aggression of a technologically superior Western World by driving the Russian people to catch up with the vanguard of contemporary Western technological progress. Lenin faced the hard fact that this painful forced march could be exacted from an already exhausted people only by the discipline of the drill-sergeant's rod; and the particular form of dictatorial régime that he devised for his particular purpose took account of the momentary social exigencies of a Modern Western technology, as well as the historical law which decreed that the material gains of a revolutionary advance must always be paid for by losses of corresponding magnitude in the currency of liberty.

Lenin's political device for engineering a revolutionary Russian advance on a twentieth-century Western technological front was a personal dictatorship underpinned by the unanimous support of a unique political party that was to merit and retain its monopoly of power by the discrimination with which it selected recruits, the fanaticism with which it indoctrinated its novices, and the discipline it imposed on its full-fledged members. In its embodiment of this idea and these ideals, Lenin's All-Union Communist Party was not, of course, entirely without precedent. In Iranic Muslim history it had been anticipated in the Slave-Household of the Ottoman Padishäh, in the Qyzylbash fraternity of devotees of the Safawis, ' and in a Sikh Khalsa that had been called into being in a subjugated Hindu World by a decision to fight a Mughal ascendancy with its own weapons. In these older Hlindu and Islamic fraternities the êthos of the Russian heresiarch's Communist Party is already unmistakably discernible. Lenin's claim to originality rests on his independence in reinventing this formidable political instrument for himself and on his priority in applying it to the special purpose of enabling a non-Western society to hold its own against the Modern West by mastering the latest devices of a Modern Western technology without embracing the ideology that was the current Modern Western norm of orthodoxy.

The effectiveness with which this purpose was served by the Leninist single-party type of dictatorial régime was indicated by the frequency with which it was consciously imitated or inadvertently reproduced in the contemporary political history of other non-Western societies that were traditionally hostile to Russia but found themselves in the same predicament in a world in which 'the Western Question' had come to be ubiquitous.

In the Kuomintang régime established at Canton by Sun Yat-sen in A.D. 1921 a tincture of Russian Communism was deliberately introduced by the Chinese philosopher-statesman in A.D. 1923; and, in the substquent history of the Kuomintang National Government of China, the Leninian form of political constitution-- a personal dictatorship supported by a unique party-significantly survived the breach which opened in A.D. 1927 between the Kuomintang and a Chinese Communist Party which had sought to take advantage of its affilation to the Kuomintang in order to gain control of the National Government from within. Though the Chinese Communists' rival pretensions were based on a claim to be genuine exponents of a Leninism which was admittedly diluted with Liberalism in the Kuomintang's ideology, the KMT did not demonstrate the sincerity of its unfeigned eagerness to dissociate itself from Communism by repudiating the Leninian element in its own constitution and doctrine. The exigencies of a common predicament constrained a now bitterly anti-Russian Chinese ex-revolutionary party to continue to handle 'the Western Question' according to the Russian proscription. In AD 1949 , when the Chinese Communists swept the KMT from the chessboard...

:psyduck:

I wonder how much of this is going to return into vogue now that Russia is part of the mysterious orient again after 2022.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

wtf is the index

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

In Training posted:

I was taught this about Nike child labour. In university. In an ethics class. Called ethics for business studies.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Orange Devil posted:

I was taught this about Nike child labour. In university. In an ethics class. Called ethics for business studies.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao. But also was that written after they lost India? Because I wonder if the idea of a united West as a force of history would have appeared here if Britain was still the unrivaled world power.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

genericnick posted:

Lmao. But also was that written after they lost India? Because I wonder if the idea of a united West as a force of history would have appeared here if Britain was still the unrivaled world power.

It was one of those life's work things, so started publication in 1934, finished in 1954.

The author did have his moments:

"In regards to Ukraine (also known as "Little Russia"), Toynbee rejected both home rule and a federal solution for Ukraine. Toynbee's objection to the federal solution stemmed from his fear that a federated Russia would be too divided to have a unifying center of gravity and would thus be at risk of fragmentation and breaking up just like the United States previously did for a time during its own civil war. In place of autonomy, Toynbee proposed making the Ukrainian language co-official in the Great Russian parts of the Russian Empire so that Ukrainians (or Little Russians) could become members of the Russian body politic as Great Russians' peers rather than as Great Russians' inferiors. Toynbee also argued that if the Ukrainian language were not able to become competitive with Russian even if the Ukrainian language were to be given official status in Russia, then this would prove once and for all the superior vitality of the Russian language (which, according to Toynbee, was used to write great literature while the Ukrainian language was only used to write peasant ballads)."

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the ballad of jaroslav

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

This is :wtf: times 100. I am surprised it hasn't been made into a dystopian movie yet. Just every labor job you interact with is a Boston Dynamic robot with a global south face on the screen.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
apologies for kim dot com but

https://twitter.com/kimdotcom/status/1776372302416077150?s=46&t=z-BpKV_zuayDXrjUW20mQw

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Brits frantically looking to see if they have chests of opium somewhere.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

genericnick posted:

alt history where Byzantium survives but turns its decrepit Caesaropapist institutions to the worship of the new god of communism, as its asiatic church finds itself no match for enlightened western thinking

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

MinutePirateBug posted:

"This episode is brought to you Raytheon Missiles and Defense the Spy 6 family of radars is not just revolutionary, it's ready now, Spy 6 is being integrated on ships across the fleet to provide greater range, increased sensitivity, and more accurate discrimination for air and missile defense learn more at rtx.com/spy6"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aFqM4ES40

China can hit mainland US with nuclear tipped missiles. More importantly they can wipe out Guam, Okinawa, Hawaii and all west coast naval installations if push comes to shove. The US is not going to be starving China of resources in the same way they did to Japan lol

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

still don't quite grasp the chinese source - what is the graph supposed to show then? amount of train facilities? Price of a bus stop, or the price of abstracted (combined) public transport? what does "transportation facility" mean??

i'm sure it's a mundane explanation but I'm not grasping the meaning of the actual graph if that's its correct translation

double nine has issued a correction as of 22:21 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

youre not a competitor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc7Cin_87H4