Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
God the scions are such loving complainers. The moon is perfect. Delicious food you don't need to cook, comfy clothes, great view, and bunnies everywhere? If there was a housing district I'd never leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

I just fundamentally disagree with the idea that a wipe = wasted time. Trials are supposed to be the boss fights of the game and generally it is okay for a boss fight to be challenging enough to die to it once or even twice without needing to look up a Gamefaq for it. Like hell, one of the most common complaints is that content isn't a bit more punishing outside of the explicitly hard content, and if standard content is harder then you're probably going to get a wipe or two! (Not even like super punishingly hard. Titania and the moon trial are examples where people struggled.)

Nobody should have to go join a goddamn PF to get to experience story content without someone getting pissy and trying to explain things to them in an attempt to rush and 'stop wasting time.' Especially because almost all story content can be finished pretty easily as long as you have one remotely competent healer.

(Hell, half the reason I rush to do content on launch is because I want to do it without everyone in the party knowing mechanics, it's so much more fun that way and I get to actually do more healing!)

Edit: I also admit that I remember when I started playing and the end of ARR was one of the absolute worst times I ever had in a game because I didn't get to experience poo poo because the focus was entirely on RUSH THROUGH AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. If someone is a new player and they're not getting frustrated then I'd rather spend a bit longer so they have a good time versus making their first experience with a cool boss or dungeon feel like they're imposing on me.

People play the game for different reasons and I do not personally feel like the boss mechanics of a trial or dungeon boss are "story content," so yes, to me wiping a few times is wasted time because I would like to get the boss fight over so that I can go back to the actual story with words and cutscenes and such. It wasn't an issue back when I was unemployed for obvious reasons but now that I have limited time to play, no, I don't want to gently caress around with wiping a few times on something as relatively challenging as the 83 or 90 trials, I'd rather someone danger dorito or give helpful advice after the first wipe, especially if the wipe happened like 20 minutes in.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

goblin week posted:

God the scions are such loving complainers. The moon is perfect. Delicious food you don't need to cook, comfy clothes, great view, and bunnies everywhere? If there was a housing district I'd never leave

You will not be surprised to learn you are not alone in this view.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Martman posted:

I had a party wipe on Glasya Labolas like a year and I half ago and I helpfully advised them that I was laughing very hard in real life

How the hell do you wipe on Glasya? I've seen wipes on Scylla because the AoEs can be a lot if there are a lot of new people or nobody's paying attention, but what does Glasya even do??

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

lines posted:

You will not be surprised to learn you are not alone in this view.

The fact that there was never any payoff to the sidequest where you send Garleans to the moon, including Nero!!! is probably my only disappointment with EW as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

People play the game for different reasons and I do not personally feel like the boss mechanics of a trial or dungeon boss are "story content," so yes, to me wiping a few times is wasted time because I would like to get the boss fight over so that I can go back to the actual story with words and cutscenes and such. It wasn't an issue back when I was unemployed for obvious reasons but now that I have limited time to play, no, I don't want to gently caress around with wiping a few times on something as relatively challenging as the 83 or 90 trials, I'd rather someone danger dorito or give helpful advice after the first wipe, especially if the wipe happened like 20 minutes in.

They absolutely are though. Like half of the coolest mechanics in the game are when story and gameplay mechanics mesh together. Like honestly I think of the end of the Thordin fight where he's obviously broken and flailing and panicked and if anything I wish that lasted longer before it is such an excellent and satisfying bit of gameplay/story integration. Likewise there's a lot of obscure and not so obscure storytelling in gameplay mechanics, like when you see certain abilities or attacks reused or you get some idea of how hosed up something is by how it plays out.

Honestly part of what I like about FFXIV is that its big epic boss fights tend to have 'oh poo poo' moments in terms of visual/plot/etc. Like half the fun of recent Savages is seeing the hidden final bosses and what they mean in terms of story or plot. Heck, even the Ultimates are fun for that, even if a lot of that is experienced vicariously

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2024

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

goblin week posted:

That's from a live letter in the leadup to patch 6.1 where one question was about if there was going to be Sharlayan or Lunar housing https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1494921047291809794 (spoiler is for ~midway through 6.0)

the answer is to please just enjoy Ishgard housing

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hitting "Skip Cutscene" on the Tsukiyomi fight so I can use my video game playing time more efficiently and get back to the real story beats.

Smart-assing aside I think everybody is talking past one another because they're missing an important distinction. Yes, it is desirable to play a group game and execute the content flawlessly. Victory feels good but you should have fun in defeat as well. If you're so used to things that it's dull then perform well, toss out advice after a common sense point and remember that everybody else might be seeing it for the first time, spectacle and all.

"Spending my time efficiently" arguments are what make the WoW playerbase(and most MOBAs, and competitive FPS, and...) aggressively toxic.

Thavnair housing when

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

What are we expecting to hear at Fridays live letter?

I think the benchmark, or at least the release date for it is a good guess. I am also expecting concrete dates for the media tour.

As for explaining mechanics, I explain them depending entirely on mood honestly. If we wipe a few times and it's funny or in different places, I'll let it lie. If we wipe a couple times in the same spot and I am annoyed, I'll explain it and if I'm not annoyed, I won't.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

How the hell do you wipe on Glasya? I've seen wipes on Scylla because the AoEs can be a lot if there are a lot of new people or nobody's paying attention, but what does Glasya even do??

I guess it could happen if for some reason all the DPS randomly decide to stun themselves by stepping into the adds' circles, and no one else kills the adds to free them/stop the OHKO explosion from charging?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Antivehicular posted:

If you somehow get to the intermission then he will kill everyone on the main platform. Also I guess if the Clockwork Squires actually spawned today then no one would know what to do: shield tethers spawn around the arena and connect to Glasya which causes him to reflect damage, and you need to drag the Squires into the beams. I haven't seen the smallest part of that mechanic in years, and the intermission is over a minute after that.

Glasya has a surprising number of mechanics, technically. I guess if one alliance is a premade 8-man of all assholes that goes "lets not do any damage, as a funny joke" then people will be caught off guard when those mechanics actually happen.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Honestly my main consternation is getting these guide monsters hours after a new patch or a couple days into a new expansion. We should definitely be disrespecting their time as much as possible.

I don't give advice to new players unless they ask for it, but I also wait for new player cutscenes in alliance raids despite thinking no one should actually give a poo poo and we should just pull.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 10, 2024

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

The fact that there was never any payoff to the sidequest where you send Garleans to the moon, including Nero!!! is probably my only disappointment with EW as a whole.

This felt like seeding future story arcs to me, just like the Shadowbringers capstone quest for doing all the role quests.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

If you somehow get to the intermission then he will kill everyone on the main platform. Also I guess if the Clockwork Squires actually spawned today then no one would know what to do: shield tethers spawn around the arena and connect to Glasya which causes him to reflect damage, and you need to drag the Squires into the beams. I haven't seen the smallest part of that mechanic in years, and the intermission is over a minute after that.

Glasya has a surprising number of mechanics, technically. I guess if one alliance is a premade 8-man of all assholes that goes "lets not do any damage, as a funny joke" then people will be caught off guard when those mechanics actually happen.
That or everyone manages to get caught in the traps.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

there is theoretically payoff in that you can run into the moon garleans in one of those two giant side rooms, as untargetable npcs that have speech bubbles pop up if you get close

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Thanks to the incredible time compression this game operates under they've only been there for like a half hour

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Unfortunately, that quest being optional means it's hard for them to put payoff for it later in the story, since that would just confuse people who didn't do it. (I wonder what the statistics are on that, anyway? Pretty much everyone I know did the role quests and then the capstone, but I imagine a lot of the casual playerbase didn't.)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gruckles posted:

I guess it could happen if for some reason all the DPS randomly decide to stun themselves by stepping into the adds' circles, and no one else kills the adds to free them/stop the OHKO explosion from charging?
I think it was basically that, along with a lot of people being just a couple steps above AFK in terms of their button pressing

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Doomykins posted:

Thavnair housing when

I would honestly expect Norvrandt housing to be next, of anything.

I doubt we ever get Garlemald housing since we already have "constantly snowing" as a housing area, though another reconstruction event would be baller.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like "We rebuild and then move into Garlean territory" probably reads a bit too weird for them to ever do.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Professor Beetus posted:

My hunch is that the payoff for this is coming later due to a monkey paw wish. Specifically That new lifestyle content they announced with the planet hopping and colony building. The key art has lopporits in it so we know they're involved. Logically, nothing stopping the moon Garleans from being involved too. I call it a monkeys paw wish because there are/were a lot of people asking for a Garlean restoration, so setting up some interstellar colony for the Nero crew is probably the closest we will get to that.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Professor Beetus posted:

Clinging onto cosmic exploration as potential payoff here...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like "We rebuild and then move into Garlean territory" probably reads a bit too weird for them to ever do.

Yeah we are never going to get Garlean housing for this reason alone. At most we will get Garlean-themed housing items for other housing locations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

An interesting idea is that by the next expansion new jobs will start at 90+ and could sweep endwalker role quests on unlock (and hitting the msq unlock obv). I don't think there'd be any major content like cosmic exploration tied to it but it'll only get easier for people to do those quests as the game goes on.

Hell in two months you could unlock pictomancer and viper and immediately turn around to do the DPS and caster ShB role quests.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hellioning posted:

Yeah we are never going to get Garlean housing for this reason alone. At most we will get Garlean-themed housing items for other housing locations.

warrior of light squaring off against the limsa HOA when complaints come in that their garlean cosplay house is in bad taste

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

While we're on the topic of weird (almost) wipes: This week was the first time in....ever probably where I had to use a heal LB3 on Ifrit(Hard).
Everyone but the tanks and me died to the dashes :psyduck:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tamba posted:

While we're on the topic of weird (almost) wipes: This week was the first time in....ever probably where I had to use a heal LB3 on Ifrit(Hard).

Healer's LB3 is the only thing I miss the most out of healing trials and normal raids :shobon:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Clearly everyone was trying to use the ff16 crossover dodge move

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Countblanc posted:

warrior of light squaring off against the limsa HOA when complaints come in that their garlean cosplay house is in bad taste

Think it was itt someone made the observation of “Imagine being the UberEats Eorzea guy making a delivery to the WoL’s house and seeing through their open front door they have a portrait of Solus zos Galvus hanging on their mantle”

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tamba posted:

At ARR release when everyone was very bad and undergeared people would regularly die to the triple chasing explosions in the latter part of Ifrit (Hard), but the trick is Ifrit is stunnable and it interrupts the mechanic, so you could stun it to carry.. a lot of people through the fight.

Unless your melee dps's stun button that is part of their dps rotation has given Ifrit stun immunity, of course.

I used to summon Titan to have a stun on that fight lol.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

aers posted:

Unless your melee dps's stun button that is part of their dps rotation has given Ifrit stun immunity, of course.

I run into this sort of thing when tanking. There's some pulls where I say "this guy has an annoying attack, I'll make sure to kick that" and it works great, until I have a WHM healing me. Like the giants in Zot who AoE the whole platform.

Edit: just because we're in a "misreading people's posts" mood today, this isn't saying WHMs need to lose stun or anything, it's just part of my toolkit that I need to remember doesn't always work.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I gotta learn to actually use Stun when tanking, I don't because I guess I never got in the habit, you never really *need* to most of the time and as far as I'm aware it isn't really useful for bosses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Stun is really only useful for very old bosses but it will always be funny to stun ARR bosses out of mechanics

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

we need a lvl 50 ultimate raid where stuns are vital

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I like to do Deep Dungeon runs as tank to remember that stuns exist

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Surely stuns will finally get love when Dawntrail gives every boss onward a defiance stagger bar

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

lines posted:

I gotta learn to actually use Stun when tanking, I don't because I guess I never got in the habit, you never really *need* to most of the time and as far as I'm aware it isn't really useful for bosses.

It's usually not necessary but can occasionally make a pull smoother and at certain levels if Paladin gets in a pickle they may be better served tabbing and shield bashing everything instead of using theit AoE cooldown.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice
So I just came back to the game after having finishing Stormblood on my AST. During my absence, I seem to have forgotten everything about this game.

I don't care to play my AST anymore, so I'm working on my WAR who is at 73 I think now. What is a good list of daily things to do to level my WAR to get caught up so I can do MSQ stuff with them? Duty roulettes, Beast Tribe (just stormblood ones or should I do more?) Hunts, anything else?

Also, is there any sort of gearing guide or "complete these things before Dawnbringer" out there I should be following?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Chaitai posted:

So I just came back to the game after having finishing Stormblood on my AST. During my absence, I seem to have forgotten everything about this game.

I don't care to play my AST anymore, so I'm working on my WAR who is at 73 I think now. What is a good list of daily things to do to level my WAR to get caught up so I can do MSQ stuff with them? Duty roulettes, Beast Tribe (just stormblood ones or should I do more?) Hunts, anything else?

Also, is there any sort of gearing guide or "complete these things before Dawnbringer" out there I should be following?

Even after roulette xp at-level dungeons are good XP.

That said, you said you finished Stormblood and the warrior is 73? Shadowbringers is 70-80.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Yeah if you just did Stormblood 73 is high enough to just do MSQ. If you meant you finished Shadowbringers, then roulettes are the ticket - alliance raid is worth 50% of a level, leveling another 50%, main scenario yet another 50% and frontline one last 50%. The others aren't as big ticket.

Doing the daily hunts for the expansion you're at is about half a level, don't bother with any others. The stormblood and before tribal quests aren't fantastic XP for the time needed but if you want to get those reps up you can do them. ShB Pixies are good XP as are the EW combat tribe, but you won't be hurting for xp then.

As far as finishing before Dawnbringer, just do MSQ. ShB won't be an issue since Cryptlurker gear is poetics now, but once you get past the Endwalker quest and move into patches you'll probably have to do the dungeons more than once or buy some gear to meet ilvl requirements to clear through 6.5.