Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol Lord Wolff ftw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
communism is when there’s no video game consoles and waifus

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Breakaway american Soviet going to war with the bureaucrats in New Los Angeles bc they refuse to hand over their grain until the community receives 1000 PS5s from Ohio's giga factory 2.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

an art class where everyone draws an identical representation of a branded ip

literal shiver

this disney living stuff genuinely confounds me. ive never met anyone remotely like this so I just can’t make sense of it all

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Mandel Brotset posted:

this disney living stuff genuinely confounds me. ive never met anyone remotely like this so I just can’t make sense of it all

I have. They were strange, but nice.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

loquacius posted:

while we're daydreaming, I wanna brainstorm what kind of boring-rear end bureaucratic names all these Brands would have after nationalization

rename Google search to just "Web Search"
Call the Amazon storefront the National Internet Retail Index, or NIRI if you're nasty
Youtube is fine, that's a good name, it can keep it
Make Whole Foods into like a big org of local farmer co-ops or something and name it after that
the nationalized Uber people are clamoring for can just be "rideshare portal"

USPS
USPS
Library of Congress
Organic Healthy Superior Nutrition Assistance Program (OHSNAP)
USPS

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

I have. They were strange, but nice.

They remind me of Mormons

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Mandel Brotset posted:

jelly, have a few in the fam. it’s wild.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

That’ll be east of Charlotte where Disney is building a retirement community.

My imagination is insufficiently doomer to wonder what an oppressively pain in the rear end that HOA will be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

They remind me of Mormons

Yeah kinda. Mormons want to kill you though. Disney adults just want to watch frozen 3 with you.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah kinda. Mormons want to kill you though. Disney adults just want to watch frozen 3 with you.

:wrong: Mormons want you to die, and will direct someone to do it. Disney adults want you to suffer, and will do it themselves.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

anonumos posted:

:wrong: Mormons want you to die, and will direct someone to do it. Disney adults want you to suffer, and will do it themselves.

Most Disney movies are fine. Goons overreact.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

the popes toes posted:

My imagination is insufficiently doomer to wonder what an oppressively pain in the rear end that HOA will be.

quote:

Specifically designated neighborhood home sites will surround its namesake, Longtable Park – an exclusive park inspired by Walt Disney’s visits to the area. Walt often joined family and friends for a horseback ride at dawn, followed by a group breakfast around a long table. In honor of that tradition, the park will feature a large table symbolizing connection and friendship.

quote:

Exclusive access for Longtable Park residents

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
disney movies are significantly better than like every marvel and star wars movie because they at least know how to write a coherent plot and have characters express emotions

kinda weird to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a theme park tho

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Mr Hootington posted:

even good.

Disney adults are mental

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wish and Inside Out verifies to me that the lost art of storytelling is dead and gone from mainline Disney and Pixar movies

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

anime was right posted:

disney movies are significantly better than like every marvel and star wars movie

:ironicat:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KFC introducing a $4.99 menu, the economy is humming

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Mandel Brotset posted:

I had a safety class related to hazardous waste with a Disney lady instructor. Wore the same Minnie Mouse hoodie every day and every time she wanted to make an analogy it was in reference to Disney world stuff. She also talked a lot about it during the breaks if you didn’t leave the room.

honestly wasn’t really any worse or better than a guy in office athletic wear that turns everything into a sports analogy.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

Wish and Inside Out verifies to me that the lost art of storytelling is dead and gone from mainline Disney and Pixar movies

are they that garbage?

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

PoundSand posted:

honestly wasn’t really any worse or better than a guy in office athletic wear that turns everything into a sports analogy.

those types are made from the same mold

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don't know what these good Disney films are unless you are talking about pre-Cars Pixar films and other animation.

That said, even as an adult, it is sad to hear they pretty much wrecked the original park, especially everything around Tom Sawyer's Island and Thunder Mountain. They are also going to take out the trees and benches around New Orleans Square because they aren't revenue generating. I wonder when they will finally get rid of the railroad and autotopia (which admittedly should have been battery powered a couple decades ago).

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

Disney would be dumb for not fleecing those rubes for all they’re worth.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don't know what these good Disney films are unless you are talking about pre-Cars Pixar films and other animation.

That said, even as an adult, it is sad to hear they pretty much wrecked the original park, especially everything around Tom Sawyer's Island and Thunder Mountain. They are also going to take out the trees and benches around New Orleans Square because they aren't revenue generating. I wonder when they will finally get rid of the railroad and autotopia (which admittedly should have been battery powered a couple decades ago).

It's just bog standard enshittification. The parks really did get a lot better in the 2000s/early 2010s; lots of new stuff and renos and the original Fast Pass was pretty incredible. Now you can get a worse version of that same originally free service for $30 a day on top of the ticket price, and that $30 doesn't even work for the most popular rides and you have to buy fast pass entries to those rides separately too. It's like being beaten to death with a a bar of soap tied into a Mickey Mouse sock.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I was summoned to a gathering at the Florida park last summer and the cost is staggering. The big family dinner was like $3000. The lodging was outrageous. This is with preferred pricing from some grandfathered Disney Club contract from the 1990s... so like I know that regular degular fans are getting absolutely RINSED, but even my accountant math brain can't compute how much.

I would never bring my kids on our own, gently caress that greedy mouse and gently caress glorifying the old world. Disney Park is like Grad School, entirely overrated and you're retarded if you pay for it personally.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

The Oldest Man posted:

It's just bog standard enshittification. The parks really did get a lot better in the 2000s/early 2010s; lots of new stuff and renos and the original Fast Pass was pretty incredible. Now you can get a worse version of that same originally free service for $30 a day on top of the ticket price, and that $30 doesn't even work for the most popular rides and you have to buy fast pass entries to those rides separately too. It's like being beaten to death with a a bar of soap tied into a Mickey Mouse sock.

It’s cause more people are going there’s p much never going to be a workaround other than building duplicate parks or raising prices so much people stop going.

Honestly that seems to be the case for everything, like a lot of stuff started getting less fun because everything is always so crowded now I don’t really get it. is there less stuff to do, more people with the means of traveling, or what? Cause it feels like everything is always booked to the gills now, even public parks/campgrounds are slammed.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
it’s quite simple: economy is too good

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Well there's a lot of humans on earth which might have something to do with it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a $3000 dinner?????

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

PoundSand posted:

It’s cause more people are going there’s p much never going to be a workaround other than building duplicate parks or raising prices so much people stop going.

Actually it's because a free crowd management system that works great is less Number than a poo poo crowd management system that makes a truckload of money

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In Training posted:

a $3000 dinner?????

A succulent Disney meal!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Most signs are showing that the Parks (at least in the US) are below their pre-COVID numbers, they have been squeezing the guests in part because they still aren't back to where they were. 2023 data is a little hazy but it may have even been a worse year than 2022.

Their media divisions haven't been doing great either; total net income has been down. Disney+ is costing them a ton and not really generating the revenue they need.

(Also, they split the revenue for their mainland Chinese/Japanese parks.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Apr 9, 2024

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

a $3000 dinner?????

Yeah, poo poo was light-medium fancy and was only for like for 16 people. Only two bottles of house wine. Even in inflationland that poo poo had no business costing more than $1.5k. Moneyman enjoyed it, so I guess it was money well spent.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Disney is hemmoraging money from Disney+ and they massively overpaid for Fox because they thought it came with Sky so they need to make up the revenue elsewhere.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

no lube so what posted:

are they that garbage?

Inside Out was creatively bankrupt. They remapped the Disney corporate campus onto the brain of a 14 year old girl. They based the security guards at the TV studio on me and my buddy, but I never got a residual or thank you note. gently caress that movie forever.

Wish was after I got out. But I know in my heart of hearts that project was where they cut headcount and introduced AI tools to the writing and animation staff.

Ted Wassanasong
Apr 8, 2020

no lube so what posted:

even good.

Disney adults are mental

Technically a ton of good movies became disney movies after the fact. Raising Arizona is a disney movie.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If anything they desperately need the cash cows to pay anything for the "experience" just to keep everything rolling along. Their issue is at the moment they are outpricing their lower middle/middle class parishioners, but that pretty much the same story.

Only some of the wealthiest Americans will be able to shop at Dollar tree, eat at the Olive Garden, and munch on a turkey leg at Disneyworld.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the popes toes posted:

It's being built in a heavily gerrymandered district between charlotte and the research triangle without an actual urban center. It's just some place that will send a republican rep to the house until it's demolished, and is where Madison Cawthorne destroyed his career trying to move to. It's a district where you have to drive 45 minutes just to get to somewhere like Wintson Salem.

To give you an idea of the kind of person it's going to attract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Retromancer posted:

Disney is hemmoraging money from Disney+ and they massively overpaid for Fox because they thought it came with Sky so they need to make up the revenue elsewhere.

if only Disney could find a creative writer/director with the ability to take their most valuable IP and reimagine it into a fresh, compelling stories with appropriate callbacks to the original that doesn't rely on special effects and nostalgia.

Ah, well, nevertheless...