Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Pogues version of 'Dirty Old Town' is basically now the standard version of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not a Children posted:

Learning that Blue Oyster Cult was considered heavy metal was a seminal moment in my life

Also that time Jethro Tull won a Grammy for best metal album over Metallica at the height of their powers lol

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

a sexual elk posted:

Also amazing how many songs were written by Prince

Prince was a goddamn god, I caught a screening of Sign O’ The Times a year or two back and it was so, so good. Amazing dancer and fashion icon and oh yeah, could write music and play a bajillion instruments and sing incredibly well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Docjowles posted:

Also that time Jethro Tull won a Grammy for best metal album over Metallica at the height of their powers lol

History has vindicated this choice: Metallica is the least metal band to have ever existed.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

History has vindicated this choice: Metallica is the least metal band to have ever existed.

Eh, they just got old and really rich.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Lmao Florida was able to somehow someway help the cops that are caught faking their reactions to fent a crime regardless

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

seiferguy posted:

Also, I was partial to Marilyn Manson's cover of Golden Years, even if he's now known as the massive creep that he is.

Sweet Dreams was what made them more known, for more cover relevance. Seems like that has been covered 20 times.

Tainted Love by Soft Cell is also a cover, the original is from the 60's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9obvlVPJBEg

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Toni Basil's "Hey Mickey" is a cover of "Kitty" by a british pop band called Racey. That's why "pity" doesn't rhyme properly in the more famous version.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lmao Florida was able to somehow someway help the cops that are caught faking their reactions to fent a crime regardless

It’s increasingly clear that Florida and other conservative states’ electoral vision is to disqualify everyone they don’t like with felony convictions.

It’s cynical in a way that actually makes me nauseous. And I’m cynical as hell.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, there’s a few old folk or blues songs where the original is semi obscure and there’s usually a far more famous rock version, such as Thin Lizzy’s version of Whiskey in the Jar, Van Halen’s cover of Ice Cream Man, or probably the most famous version of Crossroads being the one by Cream, to the point a lot of people don’t know it’s a cover.

Yea, I tend to listen to some old blues/bluegrass/delta blues from time to time and it's always funny when an old song pops up and you realize someone else ripped it off. Canned Heat - Going Up the Country was based on Bull Doze Blues from the 1920s.

City of New Orleans is a Steve Goodman song, but Arlo Guthrie's cover made it famous, and it always bugs me when people get that wrong.

Carole King wrote one of the greatest albums of all time, but her most famous songs are ones she wrote for other people, or covers people did. (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman, You've Got a Friend, and Will You Love Me Tomorrow are King songs that people usually attribute to others.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

3 DONG HORSE posted:

:woop:

I'm no longer unemployed! It's a Data Entry Clerk position but money is money. Gonna be looking for something that's a more permanent fit while I rake in that sweet moola.

Congratulations! When I did that at the bank, they called me a pecker.

Congrats on being a pecker!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fartknocker posted:

Yeah, there’s a few old folk or blues songs where the original is semi obscure and there’s usually a far more famous rock version, such as Thin Lizzy’s version of Whiskey in the Jar, Van Halen’s cover of Ice Cream Man, or probably the most famous version of Crossroads being the one by Cream, to the point a lot of people don’t know it’s a cover.

the gently caress are you talking about, the most famous version of Crossroads is by Bone Thugs :v:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Alaois posted:

the gently caress are you talking about, the most famous version of Crossroads is by Bone Thugs :v:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that while reading the post :v:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Congratulations! When I did that at the bank, they called me a pecker.

Congrats on being a pecker!

I've done data entry tons over the years and no one ever called me a pecker. I believe that'd get you your rear end kicked.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

Toni Basil's "Hey Mickey" is a cover of "Kitty" by a british pop band called Racey. That's why "pity" doesn't rhyme properly in the more famous version.

:stare:

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Freaquency posted:

I’m on a plane and someone in front of me is watching the new Aquaman. It looks like poo poo.

On a flight about a month ago I was middle seat and the two screens I could see in the row in front of us watched Blue Scarab and whatever the Gamestop Reddit stock movie is with the guy who did the vow of silence in Little Miss Sunshine. They looked bad enough I consider myself as having seen both movies now.

Also one of those people then watched 27 Dresses, and a completely different lady in my row watched 27 Dresses on my flight home from that same trip. There are like 200 movies on there, it was a real "what are the odds" situation where two different people chose to watch a 15 year old movie on different flights.

Multiple people watched that new one with Alison Brie and the Rock that I had never heard of until I saw them watching it on a plane. I assumed it was also an old movie until I saw it advertised on Hulu or something streaming at home.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have a fuckton of travel coming up and man I'm just exhausted thinking about it:

April 18: leave for the bay area in the morning, work 2 days there
April 20: leave from SFO and direct flight to Rome for a work trip
April 24: Leave Rome, flight back to SEA (with a short layover in Dublin)
April 25: Nothing! I'm gonna wash clothes
April 26: Leave for Las Vegas - vacation!
April 29: Fly from Vegas to SFO - work :(
May 3: Fly back home from SFO
May 7: Fly to SoCal for another vacation - Universal Studios and Disneyland, that weekend is my cousin's wedding in Disneyland
May 12: fly home

There's discussion of a potential trip to Germany for work Mid-May and man, while I like traveling and really wanna go to Germany, I dunno if I can stomach that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's the flying from Vegas to SF for work that's gonna suck

I'll wave at you from my office at universal studios (you should see Fall Guy in case the best attraction at Universal is re-opened by then, Waterworld is turning into a Fall Guy thing which I'm very upset about and hoping it isn't permanent)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

I have a fuckton of travel coming up and man I'm just exhausted thinking about it:

April 18: leave for the bay area in the morning, work 2 days there
April 20: leave from SFO and direct flight to Rome for a work trip
April 24: Leave Rome, flight back to SEA (with a short layover in Dublin)
April 25: Nothing! I'm gonna wash clothes
April 26: Leave for Las Vegas - vacation!
April 29: Fly from Vegas to SFO - work :(
May 3: Fly back home from SFO
May 7: Fly to SoCal for another vacation - Universal Studios and Disneyland, that weekend is my cousin's wedding in Disneyland
May 12: fly home

There's discussion of a potential trip to Germany for work Mid-May and man, while I like traveling and really wanna go to Germany, I dunno if I can stomach that.

drat that sucks. I don’t like flying though and the fact I have to go to Cleveland twice this month is annoying me. This would drive me insane.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

What's up crazy travel friend? Although I can't compare to those, I've had travel back home for the NCAA tournament with friends, family trip to Sedona for my mom and sister's birthdays, girlfriend's friend's wedding in Milwaukee this weekend, Utah for work in two weeks, and another flight home for a family funeral first week of May.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kiimo posted:

It's the flying from Vegas to SF for work that's gonna suck

I'll wave at you from my office at universal studios (you should see Fall Guy in case the best attraction at Universal is re-opened by then, Waterworld is turning into a Fall Guy thing which I'm very upset about and hoping it isn't permanent)

I've done that flight once, and honestly, it's not bad - it's short, and last time I was on it I got upgraded to first class (which is only for legroom since they don't serve drinks on a flight that short).

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

No, they were just done with the good stuff when the bus was dropped on Cliff

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Hot (lukewarm? slightly edgy?) take, metallica was never good

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

S&M and S&M2 are awesome albums. :colbert:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Any flight less than 9 hours is an easy flight.

Nodoze posted:

Hot (lukewarm? slightly edgy?) take, metallica was never good
I like to start off with "music in general has always been overrated" and see how the night goes

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i decided i did a lovely job that looked like poo poo so i tore it out and redug the path.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ether Frenzy posted:

Any flight less than 9 hours is an easy flight.

SFO to Rome is almost 12 hours :smith:

I'm flying business class though :unsmith:

It's United :smith:

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Heading to Norman, OK and then DC over the next month.

Is there anything at all to do in Norman?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So I need a new dishwasher and I'm not interested in breaking the bank over the highest end models.

Any recommendations?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you want cheap as hell, but still good, Bosch 100, failing that a 3/5/800 are probably the best bang for your buck.

Just don't get a non-Bosch, that's a bad time.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Speaking of covers, be sure to check out T-Pain's On Top of the Covers album. Actually have it on right now while hanging outside. Its a great blend of cover songs.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

Speaking of covers, be sure to check out T-Pain's On Top of the Covers album. Actually have it on right now while hanging outside. Its a great blend of cover songs.

his cover of War Pigs is so much better than it has any right to be

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

If you want cheap as hell, but still good, Bosch 100, failing that a 3/5/800 are probably the best bang for your buck.

Just don't get a non-Bosch, that's a bad time.

I know everyone says Bosch Bosch Bosch but I've used GE dishwashers with my latest one being fine, and I didn't have to pay Bosch prices.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fartknocker posted:

his cover of War Pigs is so much better than it has any right to be

Faith No More's rules as well

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

Faith No More's rules as well

:hmmyes:

The entirety of The Real Thing album rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I used to like flying, but post COVID it seems to have gotten like ten times more annoying.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Air Skwirl posted:

I used to like flying, but post 9/11 it seems to have gotten like ten times more annoying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

fartknocker posted:

:hmmyes:

The entirety of The Real Thing album rules.

Same for Angel Dust. Hits and misses after that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

kiimo posted:

Same for Angel Dust. Hits and misses after that.

I need to listen to Angel Dust again, last time I did was like two years ago and I remember being really lukewarm to it for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

seiferguy posted:

SFO to Rome is almost 12 hours :smith:

I'm flying business class though :unsmith:

It's United :smith:

Hot take: United's transcontinental business class is up there with, or better than, any carrier other than the Gulf carriers or the East Asian carriers.

Especially if it's the only direct option