Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Frog Act posted:

Embarrassed to post this after those extremely good models a few posts up, love the way they look, but whatever. Still learning to paint and create bases for simple models, currently working on a squad of stormboyz and having fun with the AK effects swamp stuff

I gave him proper lips and went back over him with nuln oil and I think it looks okay, but I really like how taking a bit of wire and stuff worked with the swamp gel

I also tried it with another stormboy, I think it is probably a bit too "busy" but still a slight improvement over nothing:

Never ever be embarrassed!
One thing that'll help reduce the busy-ness of the base is to clean up the sides of the rims. A nice black rim does wonders. You can do any color really, but given the colorful nature of orks I think a black rim would work really well.

One thing you could also try if you feel you need to pull the eye upward on the model is adding smoke exhaust to the rockets. Stick a stiff wire in the exhaust holes and glue some cotton balls on it and shape it from there. I recommend using an airbrush for painting these though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh man those are both great ideas, thanks. I’ll scrape down the sides of the bases and put down a layer of Abaddon black. I bought wire for exactly that and have a shitload of cotton balls but no airbrush, that’s going to the top of my to-acquire list since it seems extremely useful for other things too

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The Demilich posted:

I'm still upset at how Jenetia Krole died, it was an absolutely bullshit death that GW gave her.

So, so agreed. That was tragic.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Someone take my wallet away from me. I just finished assembling about 2000 points of Daemons with nothing painted and now I want to buy a thousand sons battleforce.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 9, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Cessna posted:

So, so agreed. That was tragic.

I dunno, her death was actually extremely fitting when you consider the setting.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Embarrassed to post this after those extremely good models a few posts up, love the way they look, but whatever. Still learning to paint and create bases for simple models, currently working on a squad of stormboyz and having fun with the AK effects swamp stuff

I gave him proper lips and went back over him with nuln oil and I think it looks okay, but I really like how taking a bit of wire and stuff worked with the swamp gel

I also tried it with another stormboy, I think it is probably a bit too "busy" but still a slight improvement over nothing:

You have good brush control, that is like 75% of the battle. I only see a couple spots of paint where it shouldn't be, great job! I'm going to also recommend getting a nice file for those mold lines, a knife also works, but doesn't always look as clean imo.

Not sure what your process is, but my fast painting technique is to just put all my colours down, apply a heavy wash (nuln oil for you), and then go back in with those same colours a second time, but not repaint any recesses or valleys. It gives you nice shadows and "highlights" without being very technical or slow. This gives very nice looking table-top quality minis, and is a great start if you want to push them to display quality.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

AndyElusive posted:

I dunno, her death was actually extremely fitting when you consider the setting.

I mean yeah, but being a simple speedbump in Kharns way is so.... Yeesh.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Apparently there’s also a pure Sisters detachment? Which gives me a spark of treacherous hope, because they literally have one kit and it feels very weird to make an entire detachment for that one kit.

This is why I care:

Why are the photos of an empty table? :v:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

You have good brush control, that is like 75% of the battle. I only see a couple spots of paint where it shouldn't be, great job! I'm going to also recommend getting a nice file for those mold lines, a knife also works, but doesn't always look as clean imo.

Not sure what your process is, but my fast painting technique is to just put all my colours down, apply a heavy wash (nuln oil for you), and then go back in with those same colours a second time, but not repaint any recesses or valleys. It gives you nice shadows and "highlights" without being very technical or slow. This gives very nice looking table-top quality minis, and is a great start if you want to push them to display quality.

Thanks! That’s very nice of you, I feel like my brushing is inconsistent in that regard and have been working to improve without too many layers. Never thought of going back over after the nuln oil but that totally explains how people achieve all that really impressive shading I see on Orks online, absolutely gonna give that a try on these guys

For my Kommandos I’m gonna try the speed paints again for some parts, like the Mob’s jacket and most of the backpacks, do everything else in citadel paint, shade it, and employ the method you describe here. Seems like it’ll be a big help

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The sisters of silence have always been the coolest aspect of the custodes to me so I hope they're give a great boost in the codex.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Thanks friend! I really appreciate the feedback, nobody I know IRL cares so I’m mostly just winging it. It really buoys me to hear my color selections and paint thickness aren’t overwhelming bad

I’ve definitely been struggling with mold lines, I have an exacto to trim things down + a bunch of files but I think I just get overeager or miss them until I’m actually painting. I’m also so clumsy even just assembling the fuckin things is half the struggle for me, I sliced my finger open and covered my bathroom in blood on Friday trying to assemble the insanely cool Kommando Grot model from the Kill Team.

Right now I’m working on a squad of Nobz + finishing these stormboyz, and with the Nobz I’m trying bit painting for the first time. I’m gonna paint as many attachable parts as I can before gluing them together in the hope it’ll cut down on errant strokes, then customize their bases before putting them on to avoid getting stuff all over the feet. I never really considered that the like “regular” moldlines, the ones not related to bits of sprue stuck to things, could be minimized but now that you’ve said it I’m gonna try to sand things smooth after assembly and before painting in those little parts

Really appreciate it!

If it helps, I don’t worry about making sure the feet of my Orks are clean- I muddy their feet up with a similar brownish color then add a bit of cream color to the mix to show the outer buts of mud drying

Boyz are dirty

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

If it helps, I don’t worry about making sure the feet of my Orks are clean- I muddy their feet up with a similar brownish color then add a bit of cream color to the mix to show the outer buts of mud drying

Boyz are dirty

Thanks! Yeah that’s kinda how I’ve been thinking about it thus far, basing my models, adding texture paint + pigment, then grass and stuff after. I mostly just want to try it to see if i can get that clean looking basing I see from time to time, then dust em with a little bit of the relevant pigment

Anyways y’all’s tips were very helpful. I think this Ork actually looks pretty dang good now after going over him w a liberal coat of oil and then spot painting the skin/rocket tips

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Frog Act posted:

Thanks friend! I really appreciate the feedback, nobody I know IRL cares so I’m mostly just winging it. It really buoys me to hear my color selections and paint thickness aren’t overwhelming bad

I’ve definitely been struggling with mold lines, I have an exacto to trim things down + a bunch of files but I think I just get overeager or miss them until I’m actually painting. I’m also so clumsy even just assembling the fuckin things is half the struggle for me, I sliced my finger open and covered my bathroom in blood on Friday trying to assemble the insanely cool Kommando Grot model from the Kill Team.

Right now I’m working on a squad of Nobz + finishing these stormboyz, and with the Nobz I’m trying bit painting for the first time. I’m gonna paint as many attachable parts as I can before gluing them together in the hope it’ll cut down on errant strokes, then customize their bases before putting them on to avoid getting stuff all over the feet. I never really considered that the like “regular” moldlines, the ones not related to bits of sprue stuck to things, could be minimized but now that you’ve said it I’m gonna try to sand things smooth after assembly and before painting in those little parts

Really appreciate it!

Paying the Blood Toll to the god of plastic space crack miniatures is a rite of passage so just know that you are taking the same path that many have taken before you and it leads to constant improvement for as long as you want to stay on it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/10/cry-waaagh-and-let-slip-the-orks-of-war-with-new-codex-crusade-rules/

Just going to quote the title because there's no way I could beat that with my terrible sense of humor:

quote:

Cry Waaagh! And Let Slip the Orks of War With New Codex Crusade Rules

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Demilich posted:

I mean yeah, but being a simple speedbump in Kharns way is so.... Yeesh.

One of the tragedies of the Horus Heresy, IMHO, was how many good and heroic people died and how many of the survivors were either broken entirely by the event or driven insane or both.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Improbable Lobster posted:

One of the tragedies of the Horus Heresy, IMHO, was how many good and heroic people died and how many of the survivors were either broken entirely by the event or driven insane or both.

Yeah but at least Basilio Fo survived :unsmigghh:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

"Ruction"? Does "Rambunction/Rambunctious/Ruckus" not exist in British English?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah but at least Basilio Fo and Erebus survived :unsmigghh:

ftfy

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

yeah but that second one was never in doubt because he has a tabletop model

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

yeah but thats a HH model, aint legal for 40k play unless your opponent likes fun i think only lucius is 40k legal for that particular faction

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That doesn't mean much for the 30k range. There are a bunch of dead characters with models.

Like Ferrus Manus. :haw:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Just noticed that bullgryn armor is just a tank tread

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Paying the Blood Toll to the god of plastic space crack miniatures is a rite of passage so just know that you are taking the same path that many have taken before you and it leads to constant improvement for as long as you want to stay on it.

It did feel like an appropriate blood sacrifice, which despite years of modeling, I had never made before. When I was a kid/teen I had IG, Space Marine, Eldar, and Ork armies - mostly at separate times after (very regrettably in retrospect) selling/losing/trading models and then getting back into it. In all that time though, being a dumb kid, I never actually tried with the modeling and painting. Just slapped a lazy paint job right over the plastic and went to town

Now that I’m actually engaging with it the whole thing is a lot more enjoyable. While I don’t have anyone to play with like I did then, putting in effort with models is really fun and satisfying. I’m enjoying the base stuff the most I think, maybe as nerds age a latent Model Train gene is activated because the diorama element is just an absolute delight. I see a lot of people do very impressive things like mounting guys on rocks, creating absurdly naturalistic looking gradients in flora/ground colors, mold unique plants etc and really want to learn to do stuff like that. It’ll take years of practice I’m sure but it’s nice to hear I’m mostly on the right path

Also anyone have any experience mixing citadel shaders with the woodland scenics water? I’ve got swamp gel from AK and they kinda work- once the swamp gel dries a layer of acrylic can go over it and make it look a bit glossier/deeper but it’s less than ideal and I suspect won’t work well outside of a drop here or there. I am thus considering making an oily puddle with nuln and a blood puddle with baal red by mixing a tiny bit in with the water before dripping it on the base. Would that work?

Double also: I see there’s a new Ork combat patrol. Beast Snaggas bore me and I don’t want that box - should I invest in the current patrol with the coptas and stuff now, which I do want, or will it probably be available for awhile?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Just noticed that bullgryn armor is just a tank tread

I used to think their shields were doors too but I don’t know anymore

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Frog Act posted:

Double also: I see there’s a new Ork combat patrol. Beast Snaggas bore me and I don’t want that box - should I invest in the current patrol with the coptas and stuff now, which I do want, or will it probably be available for awhile?

Old patrol was taken off the warhammer website the Friday before the new one was announced. It is discontinued and pick it up if it interests you as it is only going to get harder to find. I was hemming on it over the weekend but I have more than enough to paint already and Games Workshop has got my rear end with the stompa box coming up for pre-order. Then someone bought the patrol from my LGS within an hour of the warcom article going up so that ends that decision for me.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The old combat patrol isn't a must have unless you really want the Deff Dread and the Koptas.

The dread kit is kinda old, but it still looks cool, and the koptas are hilariously simple but still look nice.

Also the beast snaggas are cool, they have some neat details like a metal plate for a flatcap head. Their boyz are more fun than the combat patrol ones with limited options.

Edit: I don't like the beast snagga aesthetic, but the boyz, I do like the boyz, they're better than the combat patrol boyz imo, after putting both together.

Lostconfused posted:

Slowly plugging away at these lads. It's nothing special but I just have fun looking at them, also pleasantly surprised at how well they rank up.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 10, 2024

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Professor Shark posted:

I think they're barricades.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Lostconfused posted:

The old combat patrol isn't a must have unless you really want the Deff Dread and the Koptas.

The dread kit is kinda old, but it still looks cool, and the koptas are hilariously simple but still look nice.

Also the beast snaggas are cool, they have some neat details like a metal plate for a flatcap head. Their boyz are more fun than the combat patrol ones with limited options.

Edit: I don't like the beast snagga aesthetic, but the boyz, I do like the boyz, they're better than the combat patrol boyz imo, after putting both together.

They're coming toegher very nicely!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Krole was a great character and didn't deserve that, but it made a perfect capstone.

Professor Shark posted:

They actually interlock, which is a cool touch.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ominous Jazz posted:

They're coming toegher very nicely!

Yeah it just some contrast paint, but it's fun to do it up with the orks.

However I haven't touched them in a few weeks after playing a game with them, which was more comfy than my guard games.

I'm back to working on my guard for a couple more weeks I feel like. Going to give them one more hurrah before seriously considering something else. Maybe I'll go back to the orks after the new battleforce comes out.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The new Ork combat patrol seems like a significantly better deal than the old one tbh. Beast Snaggas are extremely useful troops and, so long as their warscroll doesn't get changed too much, Squighog riders are great. Pretty much every unit is good, even the Beastboss.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't know if it's better, it still looks good though. It's more coherent as a part of an army, but you get less variety than the old one.

Edit: Like yeah the squighog boyz are still good, but you don't get the combo with the nob and the headchoppa anymore, so you need another character model to go along with them now. And they are nice models with some nice touches like gretchin hanging off the back of the orks that you might have not noticed at first.

Edit: Also this tiny little guy, and his possibly rusty nail, is adorable

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 10, 2024

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

That little guy is in the new box? That makes it much harder most of my Ork decisions are based on the number of fun Grots included in the box. Knowing I probably won’t ever get to play it’s mostly down to saving money/what would be most fun to paint, I don’t have any vehicles at the moment so I’m leaning towards grabbing the old one which seems almost out of stock already

Went ahead and bought it for $136 on Amazon since there are already listings elsewhere calling it OOP and charging $160+ lol

After this I’ll have the makings of a decent force I think, maybe I’ll go to the local game store after they’re painted. I’ll have:
Squad of Grots + Runtherd
Squad of Nobz
Squad of Stormboyz
Kommando KT squad
30 boyz
Warboss
2x Coptas
Deff Dreadnaught

I’ll use a toy truck and extra bits for a trukk eventually, seems like it’d be okay for a 1000 point game

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 10, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

3 Action Economist posted:

I think they're barricades.

Aw man i didnt know they were french

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frog Act posted:

That little guy is in the new box?

Each squighog boy comes with a grot.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Each squighog boy comes with a grot.

Fffuuuuccck, well, I’m absolutely gonna have to get that at some point. If it were possible to constitute a majority Grot force I’d do it. Very low on my list of things to get at some point is the snotling BB team, just so I can have a bunch of flavor snotlings to be the Grot to the Grots

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

An Orks update means a new kitbashed vehicle cause I'm an Evil Sunz Speed Freeks enjoyer. This one has had about 30 minutes of work put in it so far

I got this semitruck for $0.45!

I am however out of orky weapons and need to figure out what else to do with this. I'm thinking barbed wire strung across the front of the truck (help on by the armor jutting out the front). Guns should obviously go on the top of the cab and on the panels above the front tires. I should also put one where the trailer pin goes. I have to add some spikes to the rims as well

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I finally cleaned out my sotar 2020 and the drat thing is sticking like crazy. What's worse is I can't figure out which end bits go with which needles since it's been such a long time.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Get you some super lube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's cool how you can clearly tell that games-workshop learned from the Krieg kill team kit by making improvements to the Kasrkin and Cadian designs by adding stuff like indents into arms and lasguns that go across the models chest and make them fit cleanly.