Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its like how blizzard completely dropped the ball with DoTA when it was a WC3 mod and refused the rights to it after they were offered by the creators and then got pissy when Valve picked it up as a full game. so mad in fact that they updated the EULA to all their games explicitly stating they own any mods you make with their software which mostly killed the modding scene entirely lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
I believe the technical term for these kinds of practices is "Rent-seeking behavior".

It ultimately comes down to the bourgeois owner-class wanting to impose the same ownership of the means of production they have in the real world into a digital space where that sort of ownership should theoretically not be possible.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the art is bad!

chud spotted

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

oh a pro-AI attempt even happened in the steam thread while i was asleep lol. these fuckers are everywhere

here's Russ talking about really cheap emulation handhelds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UGr42nOv54

the biggest caveat is that most of them are pretty tiny. the one most built for adult hands is probably the X55 because it has (as the name indicates) a 5.5 inch screen and an actual focus on ergonomics, while the majority are 3.5" or smaller screens that are basically slab/brick devices. but all of them will play up to and including PS1 titles and maybe a little Dreamcast/Saturn/N64 if you're lucky

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i would like to know the lore of the shadiversity guy

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KingKalamari posted:

I believe the technical term for these kinds of practices is "Rent-seeking behavior".

It ultimately comes down to the bourgeois owner-class wanting to impose the same ownership of the means of production they have in the real world into a digital space where that sort of ownership should theoretically not be possible.

Funny enough even that dam may be breaking finally: Australia has said that if companies really do want to double down on "All sales are not ownership, only a license for use", then they will start taxing them at a higher rate. Since they're no long engaging in commercial sales, but something more like IP licensing and Securities.

Which is honestly how it should go. You're not selling anything anymore? Then you're not engaging in commerce and will be taxed accordingly.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Time travel mistake where he got sent back in the middle of a Society for Creative Anachronism meetup in 1982.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

he's like, really really really stupid

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Made a youtube show about medieval swords and history and poo poo.
His brother is an accomplished artist.
He started getting into AI art and made it part of his identity, and claims he's as good as if not better at art than his brother.
His brother called him a loving dumbass.
He's a loving dumb rear end.

That's as distilled down I can make it and about as accurate as it needs to be. Dudes a dumbo and is making himself an internet main character with his dumbness.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Crain posted:

Made a youtube show about medieval swords and history and poo poo.

this explains everything thank you

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

He's a really dumb LARPer who made a name for himself doing bad but credible sounding assessments of how "realistic" depictions of medieval warfare and weaponry were in media despite not actually having any formal credentials in the field. Then he started doing a movie review podcast/stream that gave him a chance to show off his reactionary brainworms, then when AI art became a thing he decided to make defending it his hill to die on because his brother is a professional illustrator and it's very clear that Shad is jealous of that, but can't be assed to actually work on improving his own artistic abilities.

He's also some kind of quiverful Mormon with a bunch of kids and seems to only read Brandon Sanderson novels.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
epic swords and medival "history" guy who got all his knowledge of the middle ages from video games and movies

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
(seeing a woman fighting in wars or a black person on medieval europe soil) wokeness has gone too far...

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Imagine if you’re some random illustrator and all the sudden your weird ren faire bother starts talking about you on the internet.

Disowned.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I thought his whole thing was getting dunked on by historical weapons researches who he admires.

Arc Hammer posted:

No it's getting dunked on by his own brother whom he resents for being a professional illustrator.

I love that they livestreamed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1VybvjzaK0

So amazingly awkward :allears:

KingKalamari posted:

He's also some kind of quiverful Mormon with a bunch of kids and seems to only read Brandon Sanderson novels.

He also wrote and self-published his own novel which is a rapey marty-stu isekai power fantasy

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Shad reads Brandon Sanderson novels? And doesn't complain about them being "woke"?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KingKalamari posted:

Well, when you are literally modding someone else'e game, then they do in fact own the actual means of production you are using. As in, you could not create the thing you are trying to create without using another party's intellectual property.

Crain posted:

Funny enough even that dam may be breaking finally: Australia has said that if companies really do want to double down on "All sales are not ownership, only a license for use", then they will start taxing them at a higher rate. Since they're no long engaging in commercial sales, but something more like IP licensing and Securities.

Yes, I'm sure big tech is absolutely quaking in their boots about the possibility of having to pay a higher tax rate in Australia. The country whose entire GDP is less than half of Microsoft's market cap.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lol wow this is painful. They even tried to give him multiple outs throughout that conversation but he just kept pushing it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
A very small creator crossed my feed with a video on the 2003 RTS classic 'Impossible Creatures'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ipO2H2ZPA

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Last I saw, Shad bought a ton of loving land that he plans to build a dozen different styles of castle on, financed by his viewers that will surely be some kind of weird cult enclave since he's a Quiverfull nutjob.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
AI Bro insecure about his lack of talent next to his talented sibling... tale as old as time

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

LanceHunter posted:

Well, when you are literally modding someone else'e game, then they do in fact own the actual means of production you are using. As in, you could not create the thing you are trying to create without using another party's intellectual property.
lmao no. the means of production refers to capital in its original sense rather than the financial capital it's become synonymous with in our capitalist society. capital is specifically manufactured products that increase productivity, not simply everything you use to make something including intangible ideas that nobody can naturally own.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

its like how blizzard completely dropped the ball with DoTA when it was a WC3 mod and refused the rights to it after they were offered by the creators and then got pissy when Valve picked it up as a full game. so mad in fact that they updated the EULA to all their games explicitly stating they own any mods you make with their software which mostly killed the modding scene entirely lol

You forgot to mention the part of the story where they released an unbelievably lovely remaster of one of their biggest early successes and not only removed the original from their online store, but forcibly “”””upgraded”””” everybody who owned the original via the online store to the new version. It was transparently obvious that they wanted to force everyone to stop playing (and modding for) the old one and start playing the new one because the new one has that “we own everything forever” EULA and they desperately wanted to avoid another DOTA situation at all costs. (Other than costs that involve sharing revenue obv)

Highlights of this remaster included:
  • The main menu is a Chromium-based web app (the original tweet showing this is gone so I can’t prove it anymore)
  • In the years since the remaster they have changed the name of one of the major characters from “Grom Hellscream” to “Grommash Hellscream” and for the remaster they edited out every instance of a character saying “Grom” with the results being noticeably poor (example)
  • In an attempt to make the forced “””upgrade””” less absurd they added an option to use “classic” graphics but this still deprived players of many features the original had like, for example, loving shadows (source)
  • Tombstones in the reforged version have text in Daedric from the Elder Scrolls that appropriately translates to “gently caress OU” (source)

EDIT: Oh poo poo I just remember that they didn’t actually upgrade people for free. If you had the original W3 you got forcibly upgraded to the new client (with no shadows and a bunch of other poo poo gone forever) but you still had to pay for the new graphics (including shadows). LOL

Ariong fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 9, 2024

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

Yes, I'm sure big tech is absolutely quaking in their boots about the possibility of having to pay a higher tax rate in Australia. The country whose entire GDP is less than half of Microsoft's market cap.

A small step is still a step. Let me have one little ray of potential hope I'm usually full doomer.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Saagonsa posted:

I do not believe that people's taste in art is indicative of their political beliefs.
What about Tom MacDonald fans

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ariong posted:

[*]Tombstones in the reforged version have text in Daedric from the Elder Scrolls that appropriately translates to “gently caress OU” (source)
[/list]

lol

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ghostlight posted:

lmao no. the means of production refers to capital in its original sense rather than the financial capital it's become synonymous with in our capitalist society. capital is specifically manufactured products that increase productivity, not simply everything you use to make something including intangible ideas that nobody can naturally own.

Hot take (in the thread that was all-in on HBomb's anti-plagiarism video just a few months ago) that intellectual property is an invalid concept.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Shad reads Brandon Sanderson novels? And doesn't complain about them being "woke"?

You'll be amazed at the hoops that bigots jump through to justify liking media which criticizes them. It's the same as to why you've got so many bad faith readings of Starship Troopers or Helldivers 2. On some level they enjoy what they're reading, playing or watching but selectively ignore the parts that call out or lampoon the bigotry that these chuds identify with.

Everyone wants to think they're the Rebel Alliance and their political enemies are the Galactic Empire even when the writer points at them specifically and says "these people are the problem, not whoever you want to be the problem"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Good new Arbitor Ian video on the commodification of ragebait videos in fandom at large but also specifically in the 40k sphere and why that particular fandom is so susceptible to it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not saying it's an invalid concept, I'm saying that it's very hard to physically possess and defend from theft an intangible good. You can't protect Mickey Mouse by locking it in a safe because by the very nature of ideas everyone 'steals' it simply by looking at expressions of it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
starship troopers the book is dead serious the Verhoeven movie is satire

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ariong posted:

You forgot to mention the part of the story where they released an unbelievably lovely remaster of one of their biggest early successes and not only removed the original from their online store, but forcibly “”””upgraded”””” everybody who owned the original via the online store to the new version. It was transparently obvious that they wanted to force everyone to stop playing (and modding for) the old one and start playing the new one because the new one has that “we own everything forever” EULA and they desperately wanted to avoid another DOTA situation at all costs. (Other than costs that involve sharing revenue obv)

Highlights of this remaster included:
  • The main menu is a Chromium-based web app (the original tweet showing this is gone so I can’t prove it anymore)
  • In the years since the remaster they have changed the name of one of the major characters from “Grom Hellscream” to “Grommash Hellscream” and for the remaster they edited out every instance of a character saying “Grom” with the results being noticeably poor (example)
  • In an attempt to make the forced “””upgrade””” less absurd they added an option to use “classic” graphics but this still deprived players of many features the original had like, for example, loving shadows (source)
  • Tombstones in the reforged version have text in Daedric from the Elder Scrolls that appropriately translates to “gently caress OU” (source)

EDIT: Oh poo poo I just remember that they didn’t actually upgrade people for free. If you had the original W3 you got forcibly upgraded to the new client (with no shadows and a bunch of other poo poo gone forever) but you still had to pay for the new graphics (including shadows). LOL

I think my favorite little story out of all that, while completely irrelevant to the overall product, is that they broke a cutscene where someone has lightning jumping around them because they made child characters unattackable and it turns out that cutscene in the original worked by having a bunch of invisible children glued to random spots of the person being attacked

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Exactly, it ultimately comes down to the fact that it requires almost no resource cost to reproduce data in a digital environment - With traditional, physical goods the means of production is the equipment used to actually make the physical object. So if you were to buy a book you're ostensibly paying for that specific, physical object and are free to do whatever you want with it whether that be read it or draw dicks all over it. However if you draw dicks all over it you'd need to buy a new copy of the book if you wanted to have another copy without the dick drawings because you don't have access to the means to produce more copies of that book. However if we're talking about a digital copy of a book, the means to produce more copies of that file is basically just the computer you've stored the file on sicne there is no actual, physical object associated with it, it's just data that can be almost endlessly replicated with a resource cost of basically nothing.

LanceHunter posted:

Hot take (in the thread that was all-in on HBomb's anti-plagiarism video just a few months ago) that intellectual property is an invalid concept.

I don't think that's necessarily a particularly hot take - specifically I think there's a difference between intellectual property and plagiarism. While the two are definitely in the same ballpark, there's a difference between, say, making your own original Mickey Mouse cartoon where Mickey has a huge boner in every frame vs. taking the original Steamboat Willie animated short and trying to pass it off as your own work.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ariong posted:

[*]In the years since the remaster they have changed the name of one of the major characters from “Grom Hellscream” to “Grommash Hellscream” and for the remaster they edited out every instance of a character saying “Grom” with the results being noticeably poor (example)

This could have been avoided had they just accepted Honda's offer to rename him The Honda Grom Hellscream

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

all the AI talk reminded me that the Plumbers Don't Wear Ties remaster has one of the best applications of AI image training I've been made aware of, especially since AI upscaling and filters simulating the texture of film/photos usually looks like poo poo

https://youtu.be/VNlOMcpxLcs?si=f_dZh_HTJSpvCjR7

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KingKalamari posted:

I don't think that's necessarily a particularly hot take - specifically I think there's a difference between intellectual property and plagiarism. While the two are definitely in the same ballpark, there's a difference between, say, making your own original Mickey Mouse cartoon where Mickey has a huge boner in every frame vs. taking the original Steamboat Willie animated short and trying to pass it off as your own work.

Reminded me of the related, probably-linked-before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoOYrTzOfM

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Reminded me of the related, probably-linked-before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoOYrTzOfM

i really like this vid the first time i was posted and i really, REALLY liked how confessional it was. its good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Love it every time. Jazza is trying so, so hard to be nice and Shad is just being a tremendous cock. And then the two other guys just get quiet when they realize Shad's not joking and is genuinely pissed off.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In my view Ai art will ultimately go the same way as poser in that it would be a very good tool for very specific people to generate extremely specific porn for their equally specific kink(s)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Saddest Rhino posted:

In my view Ai art will ultimately go the same way as poser in that it would be a very good tool for very specific people to generate extremely specific porn for their equally specific kink(s)

It's already happening. Though to less success than poser even. A large number of really small scale porn games have fallen down a hilarious rabbit hole of trying to use AI to generate character art, portraits, and other things for random NPCs in their games and so not only have basically made the artists who used to work on them quit out of annoyance, but have lost a large number of fans because actual game updates slowed to a crawl as they increasingly became taken over by trying to get the AI generator thing to work and not look like total poo poo :shepface: