Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

So is thief monk. Or reloading a save. They don’t catch as much house ruling through it seems.

I banned thief monk but I robbed constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

i mean, you should play however you have the most fun. using minor illusion to go 47 on the goblin camp and moonrise is also repetitive and busted, but I enjoy it, so I do it every game.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

So what are the priority buffs to apply at a camp that last until long rest?
Seems like:
  • Heroes Feast
  • Aid
  • Protection from poison
  • Freedom of movement
  • e: Longstrider

Excited to hire a lil’ Cleric buff-bot hireling to get the party going!

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 9, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Seems like: [list]
[*]Heroes Feast
[*]Aid
[*]Protection from poison
[*]Freedom of movement

Get them a Wizard/Warlock/Sorc level and cast Mage Armor on Gale (or whoever) so you don't have to waste a slot yourself.

I *think* Freedom of Movement is Concentration so it won't work with a buff bot.

If you want to be super shady I've heard you can use Gale as your buff bot if you're not using him in the party, cast Warding Bond and he can't die from taking too much damage due to plot armor, so it's infinite Warding Bond.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Zodium posted:

i wouldn't hold it against anyone, but i just don't use camp buff bots anymore. like vendor pickpocketing, it's repetitive/awkward and insanely busted.

I get that a bunch of stuff is repetitive and awkward but I’m glad the option is available. Pickpocketing especially seems like a pain in the butt.

I’m only level 4 and on my first playthrough and even on balanced mode I’ve still stumbled on more than a few fights. So it’s nice to have these tricks and tips available :)

That said I’ve learned to appreciate that it’s cool and good to just lose a fight a couple times before either cracking the puzzle or leaving and coming back later.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Add Longstrider to the list, which you can learn pretty much immediately

Heroes Feast makes Protection From Poison pretty much redundant which is nice. But you don't get it til level 11

Freedom of Movement definitely works

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Seems like:
  • Heroes Feast
  • Aid
  • Protection from poison
  • Freedom of movement
  • e: Longstrider

a transmutation wizard is really neat in addition to a cleric because they can summon a tradeable stone with a variety of possible buffs for whoever carries it at level 6, and their experimental alchemy ability lets you craft twice as many potions with alchemy. get the halfling hireling and respec her to wizard with max wisdom and medicine expertise to take advantage of halfling luck, since you need to pass a medicine check to get double potions.

also, no holds barred on a first playthrough. I stole a literal million gp and used every trick in the book to the max.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I encountered another bug that probably has to do with a mod conflict: After killing Orin in the duel in Act 3 as the Dark Urge, the game doesn't freeze, but the cutscene that is supposed to play does not play. I can move the camera around and click on objects, but I can't save or load a game from the active session and have to quit back to the main menu to do so. Is there a work around to this, or a console command I could use to trigger the cutscene and proceed?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Warding Bond can also be placed on a party member and that person will be effectively resistant to all damage till long rest (or the unfortunate Bonded hireling runs out of hp). Sorry Brinna Brightsong, but my Sorcerer is running a glass cannon build!

Also Death Ward can be very handy, though it does require higher-level spell slots.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zodium posted:

a transmutation wizard is really neat in addition to a cleric because they can summon a tradeable stone with a variety of possible buffs for whoever carries it at level 6, and their experimental alchemy ability lets you craft twice as many potions with alchemy. get the halfling hireling and respec her to wizard with max wisdom and medicine expertise to take advantage of halfling luck, since you need to pass a medicine check to get double potions.

also, no holds barred on a first playthrough. I stole a literal million gp and used every trick in the book to the max.

Does the stone still work? I'd read that it was "fixed" so it left your inventory if you left camp without the wizard.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Medullah posted:

Does the stone still work? I'd read that it was "fixed" so it left your inventory if you left camp without the wizard.

It’s “fixed”. I wrote a mod that reverts it if you want that back. For the record I used it for the +3m movement speed which is equivalent to crushers ring.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Black Noise posted:

It’s “fixed”. I wrote a mod that reverts it if you want that back. For the record I used it for the +3m movement speed which is equivalent to crushers ring.

Yeah that was what I used it for, aside from terrible inventory management in the game I get annoyed by lack of movement more than anything heh.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

ah, well. the alchemy thing is still really good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

How is the process for alchemy-ing up healing potions?

I’ve been doing the variety of tricks to populate vendors with potions and stealing gold to cover it all. Which works but yeah again is a bit tedious.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You dont need that much gold

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I’ve been doing the variety of tricks to populate vendors with potions and stealing gold to cover it all. Which works but yeah again is a bit tedious.

you just hit the button on the alchemy screen to turn all ingredients into salts and whatnot, then go through the list of potions and make the ones you want. it's very quick and convenient, and you only need to do it every now and then. I had like 20 angelic slumber potions one game (though I think maybe planetar feathers don't drop anymore).

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You shouldn’t need to do all that. I crafted and stole as much as I could and you end up with too many healing potions at one point. But at the beginning of the game you don’t have enough just due to lack of vendors. Vendors restock every long rest so when you get to act 2 you will have access to all of the Act 1 vendors assuming you aren’t all Gobbed up and the Act 2 vendors until you trigger the plot. The plot that has a warning and a waypoint on it.

Certain elixirs have more utility than others and your summons can drink elixirs from your party inventory. So if you have an abundance of cloud giant potions you could have a really strong elemental. My big ones were Elixir of Vigilance, Cloud Giant, Battlemage, and Bloodlust. Elixir of Universal Resistance stacks with other elixirs but has a 10 turn duration. Maybe save those for the act 3 set piece fights.

Jay Rust posted:

Disposable income is my power fantasy

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 9, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Black Noise posted:

I actually just tested it and it seems to be "broke" again, I summoned a movement stone and gave it to my Tav, kicked the wizard out of the party and left camp and the buff is still there.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vendors restock every time any character including hirelings levels up too. With free respecs if you rob Withers, if you want to be a cheeselord you can infinitely load up on potions (or just force an item that they don’t always have in stock to pop up)

Jay Rust posted:

How else am I going to be at the end of act 3 with like 25 strength elixirs still sitting in my camp chest :colbert:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
For my potion bot, I take the bard hireling, respec to Transmutation Wizard with all points in Wisdom and Medicine proficiency for 2-4 levels depending on when I remember to do it, then do the rest as Rogue Thief so I can get extra super expertise in Medicine.

I also tend to play custom with Tactician for all battle mechanics but vendor cost turned all the way down. Then I buy 3 Str potions from Ethel every single day. I usually leave act one with about 40 of them.

By the end you’re awash in unused potions.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Geekboy posted:

For my potion bot, I take the bard hireling, respec to Transmutation Wizard with all points in Wisdom and Medicine proficiency for 2-4 levels depending on when I remember to do it, then do the rest as Rogue Thief so I can get extra super expertise in Medicine.

I also tend to play custom with Tactician for all battle mechanics but vendor cost turned all the way down. Then I buy 3 Str potions from Ethel every single day. I usually leave act one with about 40 of them.

By the end you’re awash in unused potions.

If you're washing with them then they're not unused

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think the economy in this game is kinda whack
I try so so so hard to use consumables but 90% are pretty pointless, not because they're bad but because long rests are pretty much free (and essential for story progression), plus as you get more and more spell casts each day there is less and less reason to keep consumables in mind. But you still get soooo many

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thanks for all the posts, friends :)

I also recognize that I need to just *play* the game. The player consensus is that the first few levels are among the hardest in the game and that the classes start taking off at level 5.

I’m at level 4 but close to 5!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for all the posts, friends :)

I also recognize that I need to just *play* the game. The player consensus is that the first few levels are among the hardest in the game and that the classes start taking off at level 5.

I’m at level 4 but close to 5!!!

Yeah if this is your first play through I would just take it slow and enjoy the game. Don't feel ashamed to drop the difficulty if things are looking rough.

Cheesy game mechanic hint if you are close to death If you change the difficulty from Explorer -> Balanced -> Tactician -> Balanced -> Explorer your party heals to full

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

found a fun new way to kill the goblin camp: shapeshift to dragonborn or some other race i never use, throw returning pike killing some goblin instantly, then use my bonus action to boots of speed dash, run away from combat and do it again. drop shapeshift and attitude is back to 0.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Zodium posted:

found a fun new way to kill the goblin camp: shapeshift to dragonborn or some other race i never use, throw returning pike killing some goblin instantly, then use my bonus action to boots of speed dash, run away from combat and do it again. drop shapeshift and attitude is back to 0.

Or just poison most of them.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

no

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zodium posted:

That seems very boring and time-consuming

I like to stand on the upper ledge and throw corpses at them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Barrels look like a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMu3AILQQc

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Evil Durge playthrough at Last Light Inn is kind of glitchy. I walked in, Jaheira was rude to me, so I broke out of her vines and killed everyone. Pretty understandable for a murderous psychopath after they're greeted with hostility and vine bondage, right? Now everyone in the Inn is hostile, including Isobel, so I kill her too in her room. Immediately there's a cutscene where she's outside on ground level and a winged beast is carrying her and then flies away. Nothing too out of the ordinary for BG3, there's a lot of times where a conversation starts and it shows your character right next to the person you're about to fight just for cutscene convenience even though you're nowhere near that position when the cutscene starts/ends.

But as the cutscene ends, I'm outside with a bunch of angry vines and a single shadow-cursed Harper for no discernable reason. After I kill those, all my companions are upset at me for killing Isobel because she was protecting everyone. I could be wrong, but in this playthrough I hadn't learned that Isobel was the source of the Inn's protection, just that my butler thought I should kill her. And as I mentioned, Jaheira started it. And we'd already killed a squad of Harpers while masquerading as True Souls with our half-spider guide.

Kind of like Larian included an evil option because they knew people wanted it, but didn't playtest it as much as the Lawful/Chaotic Good way they knew most people would gravitate towards.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

When my wife and I were hyper-prepping for her to successfully pull a perfect and total victory in the Iron Throne midway through Act 3, our party buff loadout looked like this:

-Summons-
- two ice mephits
- water elemental
- deva
- Us

-Buffs on entire party (Paladin half-elf Tav, Thief Astarion, EK throwmonger Lae'zel, Evoker Gale), including summons-
- Hero's Feast
- Longstrider
- maxed Aid
- Freedom of Movement
- Movement transmuter stone on Tav
- Darkvision on Gale and Lae'zel
- Warding Bond on all of the summons
- Mage armor on Gale and all the summons
- Death Ward on the mephits (would have done all the summons but was running dry on spell slots at this point and we're not so insane that we were going to hire and respec even more hirelings to act as camp casters)

If I had known you can place elixirs on the ground and have summons interact with them at the time, we probably would have done that as well. We suplexed that mission after being totally stomped by it three times because we were underprepared and didn't know what we were doing. Having the ability to fly on Tav, Gale, and Lae'zel was very helpful, and bonus-action-dashing Astarion with Freedom of Movement could get nearly anywhere on turn one.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Summons can interact with elixirs in the party inventory screen. Select the summon press tab or the console equivalent and select the elixir in the inventory of someone who has the elixir. Select consume.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Black Noise posted:

Summons can interact with elixirs in the party inventory screen. Select the summon press tab or the console equivalent and select the elixir in the inventory of someone who has the elixir. Select consume.

Oh! I'll have to try it that way. There are a lot of unexplained and horribly unintuitive kludges in the console version. It kinda makes me wish they'd just kept it exactly the same as the PC version and made the left stick act like a mouse cursor instead of a WASD thing. The radial option system is such hot garbage that I'm genuinely shocked they shipped it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Important detail that can save some time: If you have access to the "Arcane Gate" spell by any means, the Gondian prisoners will use it properly. A bunch of scrolls of Dimension Door can help too. And remember, that proximity is irrelevant when using items from other party members' inventory via the tab screen. Lae'zel would be able to use a scroll out of Gale's bags from across the battlefield no problem.

As for me... I'm about ready to head into the finale. Need to decide who I'm taking with me... unless I decide "screw it" and grab the party size limit mod and just take everybody.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Important detail that can save some time: If you have access to the "Arcane Gate" spell by any means, the Gondian prisoners will use it properly. A bunch of scrolls of Dimension Door can help too.

And it's a minor miracle that it works, because the hostages otherwise have the AI of severely depressed lemmings.

Edit: drat, this is the first time I've been through the loading docks behind the Counting House. There is so much crap back there to steal.

grack fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 10, 2024

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

What triggers Orin killing the kidnapped party member? She got Laezel this time who I actually want around.

I'm suffering extreme psychic damage because I want to rescue Laezel right away but the game simply doesn't stand the idea that you would want to rescue your party member asap.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

discovered there's a whole cellar under the tollhouse with the fake paladins hunting karlach. that's the kind of missable content i can get behind.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zodium posted:

discovered there's a whole cellar under the tollhouse with the fake paladins hunting karlach. that's the kind of missable content i can get behind.

im on my 4th playthrough and only now found the broken Mirror of Loss

also there are a ton of [Paladin of Shar] options that sound like a total psycho, and I wonder if the other origins have their own Paladin lines (thinking about a Laezel Paladin of Vlaakith)

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I can recommend throwing one of those haste grenade whatsits at the base of the iron throne ladder up into the sub. It stopped some of the fleeing gnomes getting stuck at the bottom when their movement ran out and screwing it up for others (who just stood there going "I can't possible get past" you that would be rude so we will all just cluster here miserably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

last playthrough I learned that all my careful strategizing for the iron throne is nothing compared to respeccing two unused companions to monk and jumping all over the place. step of the wind doubles your movespeed and removes the bonus action cost for jumping.