Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Why are we being tortured with Rose is Rose again? Why for god's sake, why?!

December 26, 2023:

hexwren posted:

thinking of this thread: out antiquing with family, and i just stumbled across a rose is rose collection

god i hate that strip

It kicked off a day of "I remember that strip" discussion; a few "It's fine" posts, a lot of "Ugh what was the deal with her and jalapenos" talk, but mostly "I hate that baby." After seeing

manero posted:

Post Rose is Rose, you cowards!

I took up the challenge (And promised to quote the post when the turn came.) We're all trapped in this Hell of our own making together, I'm just doing my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

JethroMcB posted:

What makes it sing is the nonstop "(sob)" as everybody simultaneously comes to the conclusion that they have to kill this gosh-darn gorilla right the hell now.

Perhaps if they had a small child they could convince to play next to the river....

The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(October 11, 1910)

This feels like a cameo but can't find anything to suggest what strip might be being referenced.

Baron Bean(April 11, 1916)

Ugh

Polly and Her Pals(March 11, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(December 2, 1919)

Us Boys(April 9, 1912)

The Gumps(May 8, 1917)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Squishy posted:

I do not believe this for a moment.

peep

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

quote:

I suppose someone will find the Arthur birthday dance within an hour or so?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I suppose someone will find the Arthur birthday dance within an hour or so?

it's another Living Book! look at him go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLv907fBfw&t=25s

the kid remains cute as hell

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

December 26, 2023:

It kicked off a day of "I remember that strip" discussion; a few "It's fine" posts, a lot of "Ugh what was the deal with her and jalapenos" talk, but mostly "I hate that baby." After seeing

I took up the challenge (And promised to quote the post when the turn came.) We're all trapped in this Hell of our own making together, I'm just doing my part.

At least 50% of hanging out in this thread is being involved in the shared suffering.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is the spice that enriches the thread. Like a single grain of black pepper added into a big pot after turning into its "tough" biker alter ego.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

anatomically incorrect

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

hooray, even more child destruction, as in destruction, wrought by child

no. gently caress you.

Kevin and Kell

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Ballard street doing a realist comic about my actual dog

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Vox Valentine posted:

Kevin and Kell

MICE DONT EAT METAL

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

JethroMcB posted:

Hoping that a Mexican and/or numismatist can let us know how much money Mexikid was shorting himself due to his color-based peso fixation.

I'm neither, but I tried doing a little research. The wikipedia article on the peso does give some information, but only has pictures for the most recent series of banknotes which came out in the 2000's or so, while the Mexikid stories take place in the 1970's, so I don't know if the colors have changed.

They did provide links to the Bank of Mexico website, which does have pictures of the various banknotes. Again based on the 1970's setting, I'm guessing the notes in Mexikid are from the AA-Type notes printed by the Bank of Mexico. Of those notes the blue ones were worth 50 pesos while the purple were worth 100 pesos. I'm guessing the orange bank note is the 1000 peso note.

It's also possible some of the notes come from the AA-Type printed by the American Bank Note Company, which was released from the 1930's to the 1970s, but those have different colors. The next series, the A-Type came out in the 1980's with the colors assigned different values, and was probably released after the time of Mexikid.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

anatomically incorrect
yeah that's clearly aback, not affront.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TyrsHTML posted:

MICE DONT EAT METAL
no silly they eat metal, it's not like they just use it to sharpen their teeth, they eat the metal!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
To live, a rat must chew!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/18-20/52

Archie 1/30 - 2/1/50

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 6/12/77

Magilleh's guerrillas? Oh come on, Stan.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Vox Valentine posted:

no. gently caress you.
"Tree keeps screaming about something called a 'Marker' and 'make her whole'. I think she's having issues with her boyfriend."

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

how can we make the KnK hellworld worse? Add in Some safe havens body horror!

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Conan: The Blood Egg Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Part 2! Prepare for the word “ziggurat” to be used with a refreshing regularity.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

I'm in this picture, and I don't like it.

Pluggers

Pluggers by cheap post-its from the dollar store and wonder why they don't stick.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've had better success with scotch tape than duct tape keeping poo poo in place a solid 75% of the time.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Memories of writing a paper I forgot about across 3 periods & maybe a lunch for it due at 5th period.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

manero posted:

At least 50% of hanging out in this thread is being involved in the shared suffering.

:hmmyes:

Luann

:chloe:

Gil Thorp

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Speaking of shared suffering, Olive & Popeye, still with the Steven Universe eyes.

Our Boarding House (June 8-10, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (June 9, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (August 28-30, 1922)

Dok's Dippy Double Agent (March 3, 1915)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

someone awful. posted:

it's another Living Book! look at him go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLv907fBfw&t=25s

the kid remains cute as hell

if a kid started busting this out in front of me it'd be the sickest poo poo on earth at that point in time

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

"Why try new things, you loser? You will fail."
--A loving and supportive sister

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Murdstone posted:

"Why try new things, you loser? You will fail."
--A loving and supportive sister

I mean.... siblings be like that sometimes.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
imagine if Dustin did that to her.

actually, has Dustin ever been nasty or unsupportive to anyone in his family? or at all?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

God I love this storyline.

Big Nate

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Crabgrass just keeps on giving.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

OK, that little guy in the third panel is not a Jarla original, but rather "The Swearing Hedgehog", a cartoon by Milla Paloniemi. It started out as a humble web comic, but got a big following organically and probably appears in newspapers these days. The hedgehog has also appeared in many advertisements campaigns and has been a mascot for environmental groups. The strip's idea is simple: the hedgehog reacts to something irritating by swearing a lot. Kind of like a fluffier Everett True.

Here's a sample I picked up from the artist's old website, where she was doing a theme week based on The Unknown Soldier.

E: and incidentally I wholeheartedly recommend The Unknown Soldier. It caused a huge stir when it was first published, because it was a brutally honest piece which was largely based on Linna's own experiences in World War II, and where he was clearly working through some of his own wartime traumas.

The original book was deemed too controversial at the time and some cuts and edits were forced before its publication was allowed, and STILL it prompted outrage because it contained a lot of uncomfortable subject matter. Amusingly enlisted men loved the book, because it was one of the first works about the war that felt accurate to their experiences, while officers and other higher ups hated it and considered it almost heretical. These attitudes were expressed well by a book critic of the time who (without even having read the book) said this:

"There are two types of writers: the first turn mud into something ideal ("The Tales of Ensign Stål") and the second turn the ideal into mud ("The Unknown Soldier"). Everyone can choose for themselves which they prefer."

The original unedited version was published in 2000 under the name "A War Novel".

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 10, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 08, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not gonna lie, the callback to foobdad's dog training efforts in the middle of a dramatic arc of his daughter about to drown is genuinely funny.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Didn't expect to see Jarritos accurately represented in my newspaper strips today but heck yeah

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Didn't expect to see Jarritos accurately represented in my newspaper strips today but heck yeah

Love that tamarind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 02, 1962)