Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cygni posted:

3090 Ti was full die, and Titan RTX was the full die Turing

I'm skeptical of a 512bit bus with 32gbps GDDR7 for a consumer part. That would be double the bandwidth of the 4090 for a comparatively smaller increase in SMs. When the 4090 is completely unchallenged at the high end (and rumors suggest AMD and Intel don't have anything for it even next gen), why go that big? For AI land, makes a lot of sense, but not sure it makes much sense right now in consumer. I'm expecting a cut down for sure.

NVidia is mostly competing against itself, not AMD/Intel. Your target audience is people who have the 4090, just like the 4090 was targeting people with the 3090/ti. They're not trying to grow market share, their trying to turn it over.

I'm not against your suggestion that the specs might not be legit or a cut down is possible. I think more likely that they'll just tie any increase in performance to a higher price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
If they didn't put 32GB of RAM on the card, how else could they support :pcgaming: 8K GAMING :pcgaming:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kliras posted:

introducing ... rtx 2

Doesn’t sound nice enough; needs to be RTX DEUX

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
R(Ti)X

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lockback posted:

NVidia is mostly competing against itself, not AMD/Intel. Your target audience is people who have the 4090, just like the 4090 was targeting people with the 3090/ti. They're not trying to grow market share, their trying to turn it over.

I'm not against your suggestion that the specs might not be legit or a cut down is possible. I think more likely that they'll just tie any increase in performance to a higher price.

Yeah I think this is right, they have something like 80-90% of the consumer GPU market and the 4090 has shown them that even at inflated prices people will still buy the top level card as fast as they can make them. I'd be amazed if the 5090 wasn't at least $2k MSRP at launch.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
igor's lab are suggesting that asus screwed up the paste job on the 4080 tuf

some people on reddit suggest it's something that happens over time which could be due to bad mounting pressure instead. igor's lab also point out that the 4080 has a different chip shape than the 4090 which would require a different approach to treating each card

also, this article is also based on one (uno) card sourced from the computerbase community, although igor's lab are trying to frame it like a general issue

this is what they claim to be the before and after (red vs light blue)

igor's lab haven't batted a thousand historically (and please ignore the inevitable jayztwocents piggybacking video), but maybe don't pull the trigger on one until there's more consensus about whether there's a problem and how big it is

basically let's wait for gn to look into it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Going to 32GB with the 5090 would definitely get 4090 owners including me to upgrade.

Gotta wonder if they'll still be stingy with memory at the low end

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Going to 32GB with the 5090 would definitely get 4090 owners including me to upgrade.

Gotta wonder if they'll still be stingy with memory at the low end

You know they will be. Mark my works, there will be an 8GB “5060.”

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Igor is saying Asus screwed up the paste job on that particular 4080 TUF and that they're apparently cutting corners with cheap paste. He *is* annoyed at Asus because his own 4090 Strix was also using terrible (terribly cheap) paste that dried and needed a repaste already, and suggests the vendor with the premium prices isn't taking QA seriously. It's not a hit piece against that card/vendor though, he likes to do articles on how to repaste/improve the poo poo jobs AIBs do with paste/pads.

Do you think he fabricated these graphs out of nowhere or what?

orcane fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 8, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

Nvidia scrambling to offer a 16GB 4060 Ti option and them upgrading the $800 model to 16GB seems to indicate that they've realized that the VRAM totals they've been shipping so far have been inadequate. GDDR7 should in theory allow for a 12GB card with a 128-bit bus, so if they still only offer 8GB then they are being stingy to the point of knowing self-sabotage.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Branch Nvidian posted:

An 8GB 5060 would be fine if it were priced as a 1080p card. But it probably won't be priced like that,

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Considering how cheap 1440p monitors are these days ($200 or less for 165+ hz IPS), "priced like a 1080p card" should mean something like $200. 1080p is entry level now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 9, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Considering how cheap 1440p monitors are these days ($200 or less for 165+ hz IPS), "priced like a 1080p card" should mean something like $200. 1080p is entry level now.

Yeah exactly, though it's still the most common resolution by a fair margin. I'm pretty sure "entry level, affordable GPUs means last gen" is the NVIDIA strategy now but if they really did want to make an affordable 1080p card 8GB would be fine. They probably won't though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The "abandon all hope ye who enter here" used to be sub $100 MSRP graphics cards, and I think that has now risen to $200. In the last 4 ish years, here is the full list of graphics cards launched with a sub $200 launch MSRP:

5500XT, 6400, 6500XT 4gb, 3050 6gb, A310, A380, A580.

All of these have some pretty questionable trade offs. The A580 is the most capable of the bunch, but some buyers will likely be better served with a last gen card on firesale (6600XT) or buying used.

I don't expect anyone except maybe Intel to put much effort into new sub $200 GPUs moving forward. The silicon cost and margins likely just arent worth it anymore.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lockback posted:

Yeah exactly, though it's still the most common resolution by a fair margin. I'm pretty sure "entry level, affordable GPUs means last gen" is the NVIDIA strategy now but if they really did want to make an affordable 1080p card 8GB would be fine. They probably won't though.

This would be totally fine by me if they just cut the dang price of their last-gen offerings. You can still buy a 3060 new... for $300. Why bother?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

change my name posted:

This would be totally fine by me if they just cut the dang price of their last-gen offerings. You can still buy a 3060 new... for $300. Why bother?

Yeah, and they could even still keep making the last gen (which is what I assume you're alluding to?), at least for the tiers where the prior gen wouldn't be potentially cannibalizing sales of the new gen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cygni posted:

or buying used.
Something I can never get myself to do is to buy used cards, and I wish that wasn't the case. The whole mining boom and bust aside, I've had so many personally-bought GPUs up and die on me compared to any other component that I'd be expecting the worst when buying one secondhand of all things. Clearly this isn't an issue, because there's a massive GPU secondary market, so its a me problem entirely.

Does anyone else buy used cards itt? are these for your own machines, or your friend's, SO's, child's? I feel like its a whole world of savings for me to capitalize on because i'm sticking it in a non-windowed case so who cares if its not impeccably shiny, but...yeah, the fear of the VRAM going out or something is just too much.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i really hope they don't go for 32 GB/512bit, they need to nerf the gaming cards so people don't buy them to do AI bullshit

kliras posted:

igor's lab are suggesting that asus screwed up the paste job on the 4080 tuf

some people on reddit suggest it's something that happens over time which could be due to bad mounting pressure instead. igor's lab also point out that the 4080 has a different chip shape than the 4090 which would require a different approach to treating each card

also, this article is also based on one (uno) card sourced from the computerbase community, although igor's lab are trying to frame it like a general issue

this is what they claim to be the before and after (red vs light blue)

igor's lab haven't batted a thousand historically (and please ignore the inevitable jayztwocents piggybacking video), but maybe don't pull the trigger on one until there's more consensus about whether there's a problem and how big it is

basically let's wait for gn to look into it
Igor's lab could tell me the sky is blue and I'd need a second source to believe it. Igor's beyond a hack

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This feels like the time that one repair shop did a thing saying "THESE GPUS ARE ALL DYING" and it turned out they'd gotten a bulk lot of RMA'd cards from some partner company to repair.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I think the same kind of thing happened when a repair-tuber got a load of cards that Cablemod had replaced.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's absolutely not like that. He's completely open about the fact he has the one Asus TUF which he agreed to fix, because his own Strix card had a poo poo paste job already, and he calls out Asus for slacking at QA and saving cents with bad paste, but at least in the written article he's not even remotely spinning this into ALL ASUS CARDS BAD or DON'T BUY ASUS.

Shipon posted:

Igor's lab could tell me the sky is blue and I'd need a second source to believe it. Igor's beyond a hack
Yeah sorry but this is beyond stupid. You can actually read the article / watch the video to see what was up with that card, are you saying he made it all up? Or that making a "Asus card has thermal issues because of bad factory paste job, here's how to fix your GPU" video is somehow problematic?

Except for the fan test stuff (he even admitted to mistakes in those, they were done by a contributor with insufficient oversight), his own technical articles and tests are reasonable and I just don't see how suddenly "vendor of expensive GPUs is cutting corners" is a controversial statement - this just shouldn't be happening if you're paying hundreds of dollars extra for your "silent, cool" premium OC GPUs.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Didn't we have something similar with the POSCAP stuff, people ran with it and it turned out it didn't really matter?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Icept posted:

Didn't we have something similar with the POSCAP stuff, people ran with it and it turned out it didn't really matter?

Yeah it turned out to be a VBIOS fix iirc

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

buglord posted:

Does anyone else buy used cards itt? are these for your own machines, or your friend's, SO's, child's? I feel like its a whole world of savings for me to capitalize on because i'm sticking it in a non-windowed case so who cares if its not impeccably shiny, but...yeah, the fear of the VRAM going out or something is just too much.

I think I'm the resident used card vulture, at least the one who is willing to admit stalking ebay for the cast offs while the rest of the thread posts about their new 4090.

I've never really had any problems. Like anything else on ebay you absolutely can get a lemon, but ebay in particular advertises that if poo poo's broken they'll make it right regardless of what the seller does. I haven't had to use that, but it's something to think about. The worst problem I've had is a card that just stunk. It was clearly from a smoker's house despite protestations to the contrary and, yes, blazing fat bowls all day counts as "smoking." That required a tear down and a bunch of cleaning, but it was cheap enough that I grumbled and did it.

The way I figure it, even if I get a lemon and just need to eat the cost I've saved so much over the years that I'm still going to come out ahead.

Posting this right now on a Dell 2080 that most certainly is NOT in a Dell any more.

edit: if you do decide to dip into used cards, search out Dells. They're perfectly fine cards, but they run a bit loud. I don't know if it's that or some perception about them being a Dell, but they tend to go for a significant discount compared to everyone else. When I say a bit loud, my 2080 is certainly a noticeable presence in the room if I'm running a graphics heavy game, but it's not obnoxious and if the TV is on or I have headphones on it's not noticeable at all.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think I'm the resident used card vulture, at least the one who is willing to admit stalking ebay for the cast offs while the rest of the thread posts about their new 4090.

I am also fine buying used cards for myself and others. My last GPU was a 3080 FE that's still totally fine, and the used 3050s and 3060s I've put in friends' machines are problem-free

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Used cards are fine. From what I've gleaned from Buildzoid's videos there are only a couple to avoid: 3090s if they were used for mining because the memory on the back of the card usually isn't cooled well (or at all), and every Radeon VII is pretty much guaranteed to fail at some point.

I think every Dell card I've seen is just Nvidia's reference design, probably manufactured by Foxconn or PC Partner like everything else

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

FuturePastNow posted:

I think every Dell card I've seen is just Nvidia's reference design, probably manufactured by Foxconn or PC Partner like everything else

Sounds right. They're extremely plane jane cards without any real frills but that do what they should.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

orcane posted:

Yeah sorry but this is beyond stupid. You can actually read the article / watch the video to see what was up with that card, are you saying he made it all up? Or that making a "Asus card has thermal issues because of bad factory paste job, here's how to fix your GPU" video is somehow problematic?

Except for the fan test stuff (he even admitted to mistakes in those, they were done by a contributor with insufficient oversight), his own technical articles and tests are reasonable and I just don't see how suddenly "vendor of expensive GPUs is cutting corners" is a controversial statement - this just shouldn't be happening if you're paying hundreds of dollars extra for your "silent, cool" premium OC GPUs.

Dude can't test a fan right, I'm not trusting a single graph igor posts until it's vetted by like 3 other people that know what they're doing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

The trend I've usually seen is higher end (xx80s and 90s) Dell branded models are good, but the cheaper (xx50s and 60s usually) are made as cheaply as possible and should be avoided. GN tested some of the cards they got in Alienware systems over time and the 1660 Super they got was the barest of bones with a barely capable cooler that ran triple digit temps but the 3090 and 4090s were excellent. But if you're going after used cards I don't see the point in chasing a cheaper card since the whole point is getting a top tier last gen card for a good price because some whale is upgrading every generation.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

But if you're going after used cards I don't see the point in chasing a cheaper card since the whole point is getting a top tier last gen card for a good price because some whale is upgrading every generation.

Pretty much. There's also a real sweet spot to be had with two gen old top tier stuff. It's generally on-par with entry level current gen for much cheaper. $200 2080s vs. $300 4060s.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This story is a month old but I don't think it was posted here: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-components/gpus/gpu-sales-saw-32-year-over-year-increase-in-q4-amds-market-share-rises-to-19

Discrete desktop GPU shipments have been steadily recovering the last few quarters and are pretty close to the pre-crypto norm. (here's some historical data.) I'm curious to see the Q1 data with the Super launch. AMD is doing pretty well with a 117% increase in shipments year-over-year, and they're close to 20% market share again.

So despite all the doom and gloom of last year, the GPU market is actually doing pretty well currently.

edit: Whispers of an autumn launch for battlemage: https://www.computerbase.de/2024-04/industriekreise-intel-battlemage-soll-noch-vor-black-friday-erscheinen/

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 9, 2024

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cygni posted:

3090 Ti was full die, and Titan RTX was the full die Turing

I'm skeptical of a 512bit bus with 32gbps GDDR7 for a consumer part. That would be double the bandwidth of the 4090 for a comparatively smaller increase in SMs. When the 4090 is completely unchallenged at the high end (and rumors suggest AMD and Intel don't have anything for it even next gen), why go that big? For AI land, makes a lot of sense, but not sure it makes much sense right now in consumer. I'm expecting a cut down for sure.

The current rumour is that they'll run the VRAM at 28Gbit/s with the 5090, despite the dies being rated at 32Gbit/s. Similar to how every 4090 ships with 24Gbit/s GDDR6X that they run at 21Gbit/s.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Imo if they're asking for 2k+ for a GPU I want it to do the hobby ai stuff too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Imo if they're asking for 2k+ for a GPU I want it to do the hobby ai stuff too.

No but we can offer a 24 month payment plan at 0% APR*

*21.9% APR

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Lockback posted:

No but we can offer a 24 month payment plan at 0% APR*

*21.9% APR

Hey, but you can save 10%* when you do the payment plan!

* Savings capped at $50.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's called the 5090 because that's how much it'll cost

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I kinda want to see them continue to jack up prices to see what pricing would actually stop people from buying cards

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's called the 5090 because that's how much it'll cost

When you see the price you turn 5090 degrees and walk away

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

change my name posted:

When you see the price you turn 5090 degrees and walk away

But only at about a 46 degree angle away from the card so really you might end up with it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

shrike82 posted:

I kinda want to see them continue to jack up prices to see what pricing would actually stop people from buying cards

Could Jesus Jensen jack the price up so much that he himself could not pay for it?