Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

White Light posted:

Somebody should get the word out that you can't FastTrack to Mohgwyn Palace without an online subscription :mad:

you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

White Light posted:

Somebody should get the word out that you can't FastTrack to Mohgwyn Palace without an online subscription :mad:

They added an alternative to that. There’s a red sign you can use in Altus Plateu (Writheblood Ruins) that takes you to an NPC fight. You can beat that instead of doing the invasions to progress Varre’s quest.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Ariong posted:

They added an alternative to that. There’s a red sign you can use in Altus Plateu (Writheblood Ruins) that takes you to an NPC fight. You can beat that instead of doing the invasions to progress Varre’s quest.

Aaaah I'll give this a try 👌

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ariong posted:

You should definitely be doing that NPC invasion regardless of getting to Moghs land of blood.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I went from Bloodhound's Fang to Radahn's Swords and now I'm a dual Rivers of Blood/Nagakiba bleed build. There's got to be at least one more "Horrible Noob" build I'm missing.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Fister Roboto posted:

Just keep in mind that AR isn't everything. Weapon reach and move set are also important factors.

If you want an easy, cheesy great hammer, use Great Stars. They have innate bleed and they heal you with each hit. Also you can get two of them in one playthrough.

True. That's why I considered a spear/halberd, since I find I do well with polearms.

I did pick up Great Stars and invested some upgrade materials into it. I don't think I found the second one, but I have to check.

OwlFancier posted:

I would say you really want ranged options, and ashes of war are good for that. But it does mean you want a weapon you can put ashes on.

My current build is either a pike or silura's woe, with either spectral lance or... the giant laser beam that SW comes with. The pike is good because it's long enough that it kinda breaks the AI on a bunch of enemies, at the edge of its range NPC invaders won't attempt to dodge, and you can often hit enemies with it before they start their attack animation. Doesn't have great stagger potential though and DPS falls off at range. Frankly not much really competes with just blasting them with the tree laser because that does idiotic amounts of damage. Specral lance is great for extreme range sniping and a lot of enemies you can headshot with it so it does great stagger and efficient damage per FP. Again kinda struggles in the very late game though.

For my second weapon I have the serpent god's curved sword with storm blade. The curved sword does slash damage and has a nice fast moveset, which makes it a good close quarters weapon. The HP restore on enemy death is nice too, helps keep you topped up. Also storm blade is a top tier ash because you can just spam it and it does (i think) strike damage at good range for little FP cost. Really good for dealing with enemies that you don't want to get close to and much more spammable than spectral lance. I would honestly recommend it for everyone, super useful to have on any non-magic build as it gives you a spammy ranged attack.

Third weapon is spiked caestus, mostly as a blender and pure strike weapon for if I need to beat up something that for whatever reason is resistant to the other damage types, combined with bleed it does great damage if you two hand them but leaves you kinda vulnerable cos it has piss poor range. Occasionally you just want to wale on something though and it's good for that.

Offhand I have the eclipse greatshield and the golden order seal. The greatshield actually does pretty great damage if you put cold on it and use shield crash, the charge forward does multiple hits and has a decent chance of procing frozen which significantly weakens enemies. Only downside is you can't use your other ashes with the shield out if you put that on, so I usually have it on no skill.

I find this works pretty well on everything, lots of ranged capability even without relying on incants, and there are some great incants too to help out though I mostly have utility ones for specific instances.

Basically if you try to fight everything in melee especially in the endgame I think it kinda sucks because the game throws enemies that do a shitload of damage to you and have a shitload of health and poise so they just no-sell everything you hit them with. If you're good at parrying maybe it's better, and using very heavy weapons can sometimes let you stagger things, but on the whole the endgame really pushes you to just not fight stuff close up if you can avoid it, or at least have the option to hit things at range when you can.

Some of the previous bosses like the Valiant Gargoyles and Astel (at least from what I remember of them) seemed like they would've been easier if I had some sort of ranged attack. With the Death Rite Bird, I think what made the difference with using the Sacred Blade Ash was that I was able to aim attacks at the head and inflict extra damage (not that I was able to land half of them because of how it twists around. :argh:)

Silura's Tree/Silura's Woe sounds pretty solid, but from watching the video on broken OP builds, something that was mentioned was that the usefulness of Holy damage drops off later in the game (I guess in that some enemies are more resistant to it). I also don't have enough points in Faith to use it yet, but I figure I'm probably going to respec again at some point, so I can still consider it.

The Pike sounds useful, but I feel like the lack of stagger would cause issue. The HP drain on the Serpent Blade sounds useful, and I think I used Storm Blade at one point early on (I think when I fought Margit). The Eclipse Greatshield sounds like it would be a good upgrade from the Golden Beast Crest Shield, and Shield Crash sounds good. With the Golden Order Seal, again I'd have to raise Faith to use it, but I'd probably have an easier time if I had some spells to fall back on.

I guess I'll have to collect the weapons/gear I don't have (since I think I might have a couple of those things already) and test them in the Gatefront Ruins to see what works best.

Dirk the Average posted:

This. Sorcery is stupidly powerful, and having a powerful spammable ranged option trivializes the majority of encounters in the game.

You can even dual wield Wing of Astel and a Shamshir with minimal stat investment for a melee option. And Wing of Astel has a very good ash of war for certain bosses and enemies. There's also Moonveil if you want a katana, though that does require significantly more stat investment, which might not be worth it if you primarily spam spells.

But yeah, the sheer variety of sorcery on offer in the game gives you tools to kill pretty much any enemy with no real issue, and some enemies can just be straight up deleted with the right setup and Comet Azur. Even just spamming Rock Sling with a Meteor Staff will carry you through most of the game, only swapping over to a better staff in your main hand. Most magic resistant enemies are weak to physical damage as well, so it's a great option for dealing with enemies that would otherwise be harder to take down.

I think that's another reason I was putting points into INT. If I ran into a wall, I could fall back onto spells to fight from a distance and vaporize bosses with Comet Azur.

Thanks for linking this.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Antioch posted:

I went from Bloodhound's Fang to Radahn's Swords and now I'm a dual Rivers of Blood/Nagakiba bleed build. There's got to be at least one more "Horrible Noob" build I'm missing.

by my reckoning, youre missing:
-all points in int/mind with base vigor & lusats staff
-powerstanced godskin peeler/eleonora’s poleblade
-moghwyn’s spear or blasphemous blade and only ever attack with the ash of war

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
real pros optimize their stats to the decimal so they can comfortably use the worst weapons in the game like the flowing curved sword or the serpentbone blade

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Max Wilco posted:

Silura's Tree/Silura's Woe sounds pretty solid, but from watching the video on broken OP builds, something that was mentioned was that the usefulness of Holy damage drops off later in the game (I guess in that some enemies are more resistant to it). I also don't have enough points in Faith to use it yet, but I figure I'm probably going to respec again at some point, so I can still consider it.

It’s less that the usefulness drops off at a specific point and more that it drops off at the exact points you can least afford a significant loss of damage. This is, ultimately, a game about hunting down and killing gods and demigods. This means that a lot of the most significant and/or difficult bosses are gods or demigods, and thus resistant to holy damage.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land

scary ghost dog posted:

real pros optimize their stats to the decimal so they can comfortably use the worst weapons in the game like the flowing curved sword or the serpentbone blade

The serpentbone blade isn't bad per se, so much as it's in a category - Dex-favoring weapons with status effects boosted by ARC - with so many better options that it just seems like dogshit. If it was able to have its AoW changed, it would actually be really good, I think. Having a tunable katana with innate poison buildup would be fun and interesting to play with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ariong posted:

It’s less that the usefulness drops off at a specific point and more that it drops off at the exact points you can least afford a significant loss of damage. This is, ultimately, a game about hunting down and killing gods and demigods. This means that a lot of the most significant and/or difficult bosses are gods or demigods, and thus resistant to holy damage.

I would also say that even if things are resistant to it, siluria's woe is still by a country mile the most destructive ability I have. It does immense stagger to the point of knocking a lot of enemies on their arse, and does like, 1200 damage minimum, at range, while also being really fast as a projectile.

Like there's being comparatively resistant to a thing and then there's being comparatively resistant to a loving railgun, you're still gonna get smacked by it. If you build hyper optimally I'm sure you can do that kind of damage with all sorts of things but all you need for the tree is enough strength to lift the thing in two hands and enough faith to power it and it's still going to do a lot of damage if you put your somber stones into it.

If you want something that guaranteed works on everything, black flame does percentages of an enemy's health in tick damage, so if you can land say, 35 or so black flame balls on something, it will die no matter what it is because each one does like 2% of their life bar guaranteed in addition to the projectile damage.

One of the advantages of faith is that it has some decent weapon skills and you also get access to every kind of elemental damage you could possibly want so if the faith laser beams don't work then you've probably got something that will.

Opposite problem of intelligence where you basically have dozens of ways to shoot magic rocks at people but if you ever want to do something else you've got maybe a handful of alternative options and most of them aren't very good. On the other hand you do get access to the death star laser which is another case of "yeah you might be resistant to it but it still does a shitload of damage"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Antioch posted:

smh no Moonveil

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would also say that even if things are resistant to it, siluria's woe is still by a country mile the most destructive ability I have. It does immense stagger to the point of knocking a lot of enemies on their arse, and does like, 1200 damage minimum, at range, while also being really fast as a projectile.

Like there's being comparatively resistant to a thing and then there's being comparatively resistant to a loving railgun, you're still gonna get smacked by it. If you build hyper optimally I'm sure you can do that kind of damage with all sorts of things but all you need for the tree is enough strength to lift the thing in two hands and enough faith to power it and it's still going to do a lot of damage if you put your somber stones into it.

If you want something that guaranteed works on everything, black flame does percentages of an enemy's health in tick damage, so if you can land say, 35 or so black flame balls on something, it will die no matter what it is because each one does like 2% of their life bar guaranteed in addition to the projectile damage.

One of the advantages of faith is that it has some decent weapon skills and you also get access to every kind of elemental damage you could possibly want so if the faith laser beams don't work then you've probably got something that will.

Opposite problem of intelligence where you basically have dozens of ways to shoot magic rocks at people but if you ever want to do something else you've got maybe a handful of alternative options and most of them aren't very good. On the other hand you do get access to the death star laser which is another case of "yeah you might be resistant to it but it still does a shitload of damage"

I think I have the Strength to wield it, just not the Faith, so while I was able to poke a couple of soldiers in the Gatefront Ruins to death, the AoW didn't work properly (the spear spins, but I don't get the Holy Railgun Shot). I could drop a Larval Tear now to fix that, but I want to wait until I gain more level and can shuffle things around more to my liking (I know you get like eighteen Larval Tears, but I get paranoid about these kinds of things). Still, it sounds like a weapon worth investing in.

-

I got ahold of the Eclipse Greatshield, though it took like twenty minutes of farming the Mausoleum Knight outside Black Knife Catacombs before it finally dropped. In that time, and doing the catacombs beforehand, I took to using the Great Stars. I have to see if I can access the other one, but I don't know if I'd want to try dual-wielding it. I've never tried dual-wielding weapons in Souls before, but it seems like it takes some skill. Prior to that, I tried the Serpent-God's Curved Sword, and while the HP recovery is nice, and it seems fairly strong, it doesn't quite click with me (I think maybe because of the reach, but I have to try it out further). I think what I realized in using the Great Stars while farming the Mausoleum Knight is that in comparison to using the Bloodhound's Fang, you do a lot more poise damage, so I could stagger the knight for a riposte in two hits.

I realized that I did pick up Moonveil, I just lack a single point in INT to use it properly.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 10, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Marika's scar/soreseal, activated godfrey's great rune, and the faith tear physick will give you nearly +20 faith which I think should let you wield it unless you're really low.

There's quite a few ways to temporarily boost your attributes very high for testing out weapons.

I would say you don't strictly need it to be the eclipse greatshield as all the metal greatshields offer similar performance, but the eclipse one looks cool and does have very good magic block especially with cold or magic infusion so it does let you simply block most blue magic attacks at least. Not that there are very many of them in the game mind.

The serpent god sword is mostly just a decent curved sword, and all curved swords are quite spammy which I find useful to have if you're using a lot of heavy weapons. The fact that i'm carrying three weapons at all times is indicative that I am not generally using one of them for everything, though I have gravitated more towards the curved sword as the game has gone on because it's quick enough to get hits in on a lot of stuff and the storm blade is very spammable against nastier stuff.

If you can get consistent staggers with your heavy weapons that's also a good option too but later in the game you might find that stops happening on some enemies unless you get some extremely heavy weapons, and at that point you're just trading blows with horribly lethal enemies and you have a lot less health than they do.

It's probably more an issue with my build because I always spread my points all over the place cos I like using loads of different stuff, does mean I'm kinda underpowered at any one thing though. The game does throw a lot more frustrating enemies at you towards the end that really encourage you to just not engage with them like you have been the rest of the game, like every enemy has a boatload of health and hyper armour on their attacks if not being just infinite poise bastards like the zamor.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 10, 2024

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Faith has an answer to everything, usually a half dozen even, and access to every element and status effect in the game. You'll never go wrong investing heavily in faith, and it starts paying off super early.

If what you're doing is working for you, stick with it, don't overthink it. Have a second weapon of the other stone type that complements your main somehow maybe, but sacred damage type gets a bad reputation for no reason. Mohg is tougher than radabeast imho and just as resistant to fire as they are sacred but you never hear about that. Battles are won in your head, by learning your weapon and your opponent, not in your loadout screen.

Additionally, anything that does a bunch of posture damage is always going to be good, as nothing resists that. Maybe keep a Misericorde in your 2nd weapon slot tuned to whatever the boss you're facing is weak to for the ripostes if you like your fights short and sweet but also with whatever weapon and weapon art you just like the most.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Max Wilco posted:

I've never tried dual-wielding weapons in Souls before, but it seems like it takes some skill.

Not really. I mean maybe if you’re wielding two very different weapons you’d need to hone the skill of knowing when to use one and when to use the other. However, wielding two of the same weapon (or more accurately two weapons of the same type) just unlocks a new set of attack animations that employ both weapons at the same time. So instead of repeatedly pressing right bumper to spam your weapon attack, you repeatedly press left bumper to spam your both-weapons attack.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought you always jump-attacked when powerstancing?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

Those are both weapons I wanna use! And that weird lifesteal strength curved sword.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The serpent god sword is good for casters too imo cos the hp effect works as long as you're holding it, don't have to kill things with it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Morality_Police posted:

The serpentbone blade isn't bad per se, so much as it's in a category - Dex-favoring weapons with status effects boosted by ARC - with so many better options that it just seems like dogshit. If it was able to have its AoW changed, it would actually be really good, I think. Having a tunable katana with innate poison buildup would be fun and interesting to play with.

i can tell you right now that it already is fun and interesting to play with

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Morality_Police posted:

I enjoy using the serpentbone blade since I've been working with a poison build for kicks, but I will say that it's not a good sign when the starting class Uchigatana can have 85 poison with a whetblade when compared to the serpentbone's 55; at that point it's honestly better to double up on you Uchi's if you got the option. If not then it's a fine alternative, and its heavy attack has a unique double slash that is pretty solid for adding on quick poison.

It would be a LOT more useful if they buffed it to at least match the Uchi's 85, maybe even bounce it to 90.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

serpentbone blade inflicts deadly poison though, which is twice as good as normal poison per tick. the lower duration doesn't really matter if you're using the blade as your primary weapon, you'll just reapply it again before long. in fact it makes it easier to benefit from buffs that trigger on inflicting poison.

serpentbone's damage output between its great dex scaling, deadly poison application, and benefiting well from poison-based buffs is really high

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 10, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

serpentbone blade inflicts deadly poison though, which is twice as good as normal poison per tick. the lower duration doesn't really matter if you're using the blade as your primary weapon, you'll just reapply it again before long. in fact it makes it easier to benefit from buffs that trigger on inflicting poison.

serpentbone's damage output between its great dex scaling, deadly poison application, and benefiting well from poison-based buffs is really high

I rocked a serpentbone/RoB PVP build for a bit and the status effects make for amazing pressure when they proc.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ariong posted:

Not really. I mean maybe if you’re wielding two very different weapons you’d need to hone the skill of knowing when to use one and when to use the other. However, wielding two of the same weapon (or more accurately two weapons of the same type) just unlocks a new set of attack animations that employ both weapons at the same time. So instead of repeatedly pressing right bumper to spam your weapon attack, you repeatedly press left bumper to spam your both-weapons attack.

I got ahold of the second Great Stars hammer, and yeah, I just have to tap L1 and I swing both at the same time.

Does it combine the damage of both weapons, or is it calculated differently?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it depends on the combo, some of the weapon types have you doing fancy multi-hit attacks with one of the weapons, thrusting swords particularly, and those don't count as regular hits I don't think, more like if you use a multi-hit ash of war.

I'm not sure if it's quite double damage but it's a lot more damage than you can generally do with one weapon. With big weapons you generally just swing both of them yeah and for that it does just hit like a truck.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fought Commander Niall. Had a really hard time with him on my old bleed samurai playthrough but now as a Faith build I devastated him on the first try. Just hit him with rot breath as soon as I went through the pissgate which killed his entourage in one shot and then I hit him with a couple swipes of unlockable blade and he was dead.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fought Commander Niall. Had a really hard time with him on my old bleed samurai playthrough but now as a Faith build I devastated him on the first try. Just hit him with rot breath as soon as I went through the pissgate which killed his entourage in one shot and then I hit him with a couple swipes of unlockable blade and he was dead.

the scorpion faith charm rockets the damage that the coded sword and the cipher pata does since they are pure holy damage

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

One of the most terrifying scenes in gaming is entering the arena vs Radahn in the festival. You just see this giant warrior across you and shoot missile size arrows at you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It is funny that the only zero weight real weapon in the game is also one that does zero physical damage, making the blue dancer charm worthless

Thankfully there is a boatload more buffs to specific elements than pure phys

Theres no reason not to have the cipher pata in your load out if you have the faith for it, though by the time you hit 30 faith you have better options for basically anything it does

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

My stars, Astel, Naturalborn of the Void(TM) has some real gravity shenanigan antics don't he? I can't remember if this celestial dipshit gave me so much trouble during my first playthrough, but wow you are in for a world of hurt if you get anywhere near his AoE radius of bullshit which seems to track all across the tri-state area. Getting real sick of playing this song and dance so I went to grab the Fallingstar Beast Jaw, respec'd the stats at Hogwarts and I'm just gonna cheese it, can't think of a more appropriate weapon reward name than the Bastard's Flail :argh:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Astel is a perfect candidate for spectral lance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

I got ahold of the second Great Stars hammer, and yeah, I just have to tap L1 and I swing both at the same time.

Does it combine the damage of both weapons, or is it calculated differently?

Each hit of each weapon is calculated separately.

e: for great hammers specifically, each hit does 92% of normal R1 damage.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 11, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It took me like 6-7 hours but got solo Malenia down on my dlc wizard. :shepface:

Feels good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Each hit of each weapon is calculated separately.

e: for great hammers specifically, each hit does 92% of normal R1 damage.

Well, if I can get both of them up to the +20 range, they ought to dish out some serious damage.

So here's where I'm at:

• My big motivator for returning to Elden Ring now was the announcement of the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC. That's not going to be out until June, but I figured I could at least beat the main game, and then I could strike that out of the backlog and feel less guilty about picking up other games like Armored Core or Rise of the Ronin. However, it occurred to me that if I beat the game, then I'd either have to start a new save file, or tackle the DLC content on NG+. Doing the former might take a long time (not as long as my playthrough has been, since I wouldn't have to got out to do everything), and the latter seems like a bad idea since DLC in Souls games tend to be a lot harder than the main game.
  • However, my other goal with Elden Ring (and probably the reason why I dropped it for so long) was to try and platinum it. The problem has been keeping track of everything. Right now, I think the next thing I would do is fight Commander Niall, which nets a trophy, and gives me access to part of the medallion that leads to the Consecrated Snowfield. I think that area is how you get to Miquella's Haligtree. However, the progress route guide on FextraLife lists Mohgywn's Palace (which I think I can warp to) before Miquella. What I'm mostly concerned about is making sure I don't hit a point of no return. Some of the bell-bearings for smithing stones are in Azula, but I don't know if the end of Azula is when you hit the point-of-no-return, or if one occurs at the start or partway through Azula.
  • The one big fear that also dissuaded me from returning to plat Elden Ring was facing off with Malenia. I think one of the reasons why I've been fussing over weapons is because I want something that I can use effectively in the fight. The Great Stars I think will be useful in some other fights, but against Malenia, I wonder if they'll be too slow. That's why I still have weapons like the Uchigatana and the Moonveil on the table for consideration. I was planning on using the Mimic Tear, so the fight maybe won't be as hard as I think it'll be, but it's been my big concern.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You can straight up bully malenia until she's a puddle of rotted blood soup with power stance great stars jump attacks. Especially with your trusty mimic pal. They're not slow if she's recoiling or pancaked.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Max Wilco posted:

Well, if I can get both of them up to the +20 range, they ought to dish out some serious damage.

So here's where I'm at:

[list]
[*] My big motivator for returning to Elden Ring now was the announcement of the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC. That's not going to be out until June, but I figured I could at least beat the main game, and then I could strike that out of the backlog and feel less guilty about picking up other games like Armored Core or Rise of the Ronin. However, it occurred to me that if I beat the game, then I'd either have to start a new save file, or tackle the DLC content on NG+. Doing the former might take a long time (not as long as my playthrough has been, since I wouldn't have to got out to do everything), and the latter seems like a bad idea since DLC in Souls games tend to be a lot harder than the main game.

You can beat the game without going to NG+. After you pick an ending and watch the final cutscene, the game gives you a prompt asking if you want to go to NG+. If you say no, it just drops you off at the Roundtable Hold. At that point you can move on to NG+ anytime you want from the Roundtable Hold site of grace. So you can stop there and put it away until the DLC.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So here's where I'm at:

• My big motivator for returning to Elden Ring now was the announcement of the Shadow of the Erdtree DLC. That's not going to be out until June, but I figured I could at least beat the main game, and then I could strike that out of the backlog and feel less guilty about picking up other games like Armored Core or Rise of the Ronin. However, it occurred to me that if I beat the game, then I'd either have to start a new save file, or tackle the DLC content on NG+. Doing the former might take a long time (not as long as my playthrough has been, since I wouldn't have to got out to do everything), and the latter seems like a bad idea since DLC in Souls games tend to be a lot harder than the main game.
  • However, my other goal with Elden Ring (and probably the reason why I dropped it for so long) was to try and platinum it. The problem has been keeping track of everything. Right now, I think the next thing I would do is fight Commander Niall, which nets a trophy, and gives me access to part of the medallion that leads to the Consecrated Snowfield. I think that area is how you get to Miquella's Haligtree. However, the progress route guide on FextraLife lists Mohgywn's Palace (which I think I can warp to) before Miquella. What I'm mostly concerned about is making sure I don't hit a point of no return. Some of the bell-bearings for smithing stones are in Azula, but I don't know if the end of Azula is when you hit the point-of-no-return, or if one occurs at the start or partway through Azula.
  • The one big fear that also dissuaded me from returning to plat Elden Ring was facing off with Malenia. I think one of the reasons why I've been fussing over weapons is because I want something that I can use effectively in the fight. The Great Stars I think will be useful in some other fights, but against Malenia, I wonder if they'll be too slow. That's why I still have weapons like the Uchigatana and the Moonveil on the table for consideration. I was planning on using the Mimic Tear, so the fight maybe won't be as hard as I think it'll be, but it's been my big concern.

there is no point of no return, there are no missable areas or bosses, and any bleed weapon will make malenia easier

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Mustached Demon posted:

You can straight up bully malenia until she's a puddle of rotted blood soup with power stance great stars jump attacks. Especially with your trusty mimic pal. They're not slow if she's recoiling or pancaked.

This is what I did and I bullied the poo poo out of her. Only had to fight her once

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

So here's where I'm at:

If you're trying to platinum it, there's a weapon you want to grab in Leyndell at the tip of the dragon's spear before you clear Farum Azula if you haven't already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Epic High Five posted:

Faith has an answer to everything, usually a half dozen even, and access to every element and status effect in the game. You'll never go wrong investing heavily in faith, and it starts paying off super early.

True, faith is good and versatile, but I argue that Int is superior in most respects. There are only a scant few enemies that properly resist magic, and they're mostly in one location in the game. You can easily get access to Rock Sling beforehand, and the enemies that are resistant to magic get shredded by Rock Sling (honestly, most things get shredded by Rock Sling - it's a pretty ridiculous spell). Terra Magica is a great boost if you're up against a tougher enemy, there are charged spells that can scale with the relic/flask that boosts those for some downright sickening numbers as an opener, there are the Night spells that enemy AI doesn't react to, and the various sword spells that hit like a truck. And, of course, Comet Azur + flask will delete a good number of bosses.

And like I said, the stat investment for a lot of the weapons that scale with Int are fairly minimal. You also really only focus on one element, so you can toss everything into magic boosting unless you're in the rare situation where you need to deal physical damage instead.

And on top of all of that, the spell costs for many of the sorceries are relatively low, which makes it very viable to use to clear out large groups of enemies while adventuring through new areas. You can pick off a lot of ambushes before they even start.

The main downside of Int is that you really need to invest in it. If you're going for sorcery, you need to pump Int up to high levels so that spells start doing significant damage. The upside is that you don't really need to invest in faith, strength, dex, arc, or end. You just need the minimum stats for your weapon of choice, and enough vigor and mind to be comfortable for the region you're in. You take fewer hits fighting at range anyway, so the amount of vigor you need is less than you would otherwise need, but getting 40 by the endgame is still a really good idea. Granted, the other other downside is that the Queen's hat looks silly.