Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Sindai posted:

I can't believe they gave Cloud more than one solo fight where his unique ability is almost useless. I especially love it when the enemy has attacks that look like melee attacks, don't have the unblockable exclamation point, and are still unblockable. Bafflingly bad design.

I didn’t really dig any of the solo combat for any character. The game seems like it’s designed to work with the party, and the solo fights are just kinda crammed into those existing mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sindai posted:

I can't believe they gave Cloud more than one solo fight where his unique ability is almost useless. I especially love it when the enemy has attacks that look like melee attacks, don't have the unblockable exclamation point, and are still unblockable. Bafflingly bad design.

Oh gently caress I just thought I was really bad at blocking because I hadn't been doing it for most of the game.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nah Cloud’s big three solo fights are some of the best fights in the entire game.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Rufus fight was an inconsistent turd, I know that much.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I would call (and have called) that fight a lot of things but "inconsistent" is not one of them (save for the minor detail of some players happening to get checkpointed at low health but that's not a function of how inconsistent the fight is).

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sindai posted:

Any attacks without the icon are blockable. They're just not blockable in Punisher Mode unless they're melee attacks. You can still Counterstance them or block them in Operator Mode.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Does Aerith have dialogue in part 1 of Remake if you wait for her to do her little jump on the rooftop without her telling you to? I dunno how the thought jumped into my head, but I gotta know

If it's the bit I'm thinking of, she will wait forever for you to go first and then complain about you not waiting :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

DeathChicken posted:

If it's the bit I'm thinking of, she will wait forever for you to go first and then complain about you not waiting :v:

Hah. That would have been my best guess, given how scripted that scene plays out in every place where she's ahead of you. They clearly wanted it just so.

But on the other hand, poo poo has alternative dialogue even as far back as the Guard Scorpion fight, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was rare dialogue to be had. (Incidentally, the little exchange Cloud and Barret can have there is the funniest lampshading of the idea of why a character wouldn't do a thing the player didn't pay attention or didn't choose to do, ever. The delivery on "thought you were full of poo poo" just appears in my head unbidden from time to time)

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost
Looks like I’ve gotten to the final chapter for this, gotta say that the amount of story stuff the last few chapters (now that I’ve finished all the loving minigames) is a lot. Might have to take a break before attempting any hard mode stuff just to unpack it all.

I like a lot of the changes so far, but can’t say I’m mixed on how they’ve muddied and portrayed Aerith’s feelings about Cloud, which I get is consistent with what she said in remake back in that dream sequence, but it feels like it’s not doing right by her character all the same given what they’ve been through together. I guess I can also be proven completely wrong by the ending and whatever comes next, so we’ll see.

That said, if the game is going to lean into some kind of multiverse poo poo, I would hope for Aerith to he back and playable in some capacity in part 3 outside of flashbacks given how long they’ve spent working on the character and her moveset (and also that she’s a killer once you get the hang of how to use her in fights).

It’s a shame the death scene was spoiled for me twice in two different places online looking at unrelated poo poo, otherwise I’d have said it was going to be real impactful once it happens. I’m sure it still will be, but without the element of surprise this time around.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Just saw that the soundtrack is gonna be available tomorrow. It's so drat good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

UP AND ADAM posted:

Bow Wow Wow combat track is the best in the game

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
While the new version of the Temple of the Ancient song is good, I really do miss the original.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Arkage posted:

While the new version of the Temple of the Ancient song is good, I really do miss the original.

I wasn't really a fan of it. I guess they felt it needed to be changed up because they do a higher tempo version later on (which ends up sounding more like the original) but I was really looking forward to a proper remaster of the original song.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
Finally hit credits and in summary: the game owns

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Macaluso posted:

I wasn't really a fan of it. I guess they felt it needed to be changed up because they do a higher tempo version later on (which ends up sounding more like the original) but I was really looking forward to a proper remaster of the original song.

Yeah, the closest we got was the "escape!" version which just sticks to playing the original riff quickly, so it sounds like the old version, but they should have not been so afraid to sound like the original for the level theme.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Macaluso posted:

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, the closest we got was the "escape!" version which just sticks to playing the original riff quickly, so it sounds like the old version, but they should have not been so afraid to sound like the original for the level theme.

So I really, really love the original song. I would safely put it in my Top 5-10 FFVII songs and one of my favorite dungeon themes in the whole franchise. But it is kinda...goofy and upbeat. That's not a problem, just the vibe I get from it.

This in contrast sounds a lot more ominous. I guess they wanted suh an important dungeon to have that foreboding feel?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENLj1dsa0s

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
It's a little goofy, but also fits the world of ff7 in a way that's just so perfect. Even the threatening mysteries come from a weird specific cartoonish place. The composers, uematsu and the other guy, are virtuosos so I don't want to second guess anything they did on the soundtrack, but those last two areas needed their OG themes to be more prominent.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

UP AND ADAM posted:

Better have CHO! CO! BO! :rock:

Or this one that really reminds me of Jet Set Radio.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
NPCs call Cloud "merc." Is that a mistranslation? Or maybe a word that doesn't have a direct translation from Japanese? In English when I hear "mercenary," I think "I am a remorseless killing machine who only cares about money." But if it is something closer to "Jack-of-all-trades with a blade, Mr.-Fix-It and I'll hit poo poo," that's fits him much better.

deoju fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What would you call him?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Rufus' fight needs a bullet count for him and he shouldn't get an instant counter until he reloads. It's crazy annoying anticipating reload, but because you landed braver ⅑ of a second too soon, just lol go gently caress yourself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
His job is a mercenary. The world is also not like ours. There are literally monsters that need culling etc.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

He's a mercenary in the same way that Luffy from One Piece is a pirate. The rules for Cloud's world are just slightly different than our own.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rufus cheats like an rear end in a top hat and I don't remember it really being a thing in Remake. You're better off not even trying to catch him during reloads, it's easier to spam sword beams on him until he stops dodging them and then you know he's open that way

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What would you call him?
:confused:If I knew of a better English word for him I would have said "he really should be called X."

When I hear "merc," I think some blackwater gently caress in a balaclava ready to mow down a bus full of kids for a nickel.

Martial culture blurs across language lines. 'Ronin' is a Japanese word for samurai without a master." So like a dude who plays by a moral code, but follows his own goals. That seems way closer to Cloud than" kill people, take dollars."

I hope I'm not I'm not treading to close to weeaboo territory here. Really I'd just like to know what he is called in Japanese and the nuances of the term.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You can catch him in reloads but just use anything other than braver. Triple slash or even just a regular combo finisher (from holding square) will pressure him for a good bit of time and you start building up stagger that way. The insta-stagger is too tight a window to be worth it imo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

deoju posted:

:confused:If I knew of a better English word for him I would have said "he really should be called X."

When I hear "merc," I think some blackwater gently caress in a balaclava ready to mow down a bus full of kids for a nickel.

Martial culture blurs across language lines. 'Ronin' is a Japanese word for samurai without a master." So like a dude who plays by a moral code, but follows his own goals. That seems way closer to Cloud than" kill people, take dollars."

I hope I'm not I'm not treading to close to weeaboo territory here. Really I'd just like to know what he is called in Japanese and the nuances of the term.

When I hear Merc I think of a car or Deadpool.

Barret also uses it derisively, then jokingly, because cloud is a Shinra super soldier

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A soldier who does jobs for money is by definition a mercenary. They're using the right word. Any baggage associated with it isn't the game's fault.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

deoju posted:

NPCs call Cloud "merc." Is that a mistranslation? Or maybe a word that doesn't have a direct translation from Japanese? In English when I hear "mercenary," I think "I am a remorseless killing machine who only cares about money." But if it is something closer to "Jack-of-all-trades with a blade, Mr.-Fix-It and I'll hit poo poo," that's fits him much better.

He calls himself a mercenary. He’s literally a soldier for hire. For most of the time in Midgar, he says that he only cares about the money. Tifa convinces him to help with other random odd jobs and that ends up being most of the jobs he takes.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

Yea muscle for money sounds about right for a merc.
A merc can still choose his jobs either way

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Though you are correct that the Japanese version uses a word that doesn't translate very well. "何でも屋" which means literally "do everything man".

deets
Apr 20, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

Though you are correct that the Japanese version uses a word that doesn't translate very well. "何でも屋" which means literally "do everything man".
While I agree with the earlier post that "merc" isn't perfect, I can almost guarantee that one of the main considerations for choosing it was "this needs to be roughly the same length as 何でも屋 for space reasons" and "jack-of-all-trades" or "mr. everything" absolutely fails that criteria

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Blockhouse posted:

Cool. Thanks. That's what I was after.

"do everything man" fits Cloud perfectly

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
They're kinda stuck because similar phrases like "fixer" and "problem solver" in English are even more sus than merc.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Authentic" translation time, just have them say "do everything man". Or nandemoya with a Translator's Note about how it's impossible to convey this in another language

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Chapter 12 side quest spoilers questionis there any way to trigger the bugged G-Bike part of this UPA quest without having to reinstall the entire drat game or am I just screwed :(

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Authentic" translation time, just have them say "do everything man". Or nandemoya with a Translator's Note about how it's impossible to convey this in another language

this would be way uglier and worse than what they did though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

this would be way uglier and worse than what they did though

:thejoke:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

psychoJ posted:

Chapter 12 side quest spoilers questionis there any way to trigger the bugged G-Bike part of this UPA quest without having to reinstall the entire drat game or am I just screwed :(

You're just screwed until they eventually get around to the next patch.

No hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
Ugggggh. Thanks anyway