Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I would be legitimately shocked if Toga was actually dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Scholtz posted:

Yes, by arbitrarily narrowing the scope of what you consider to be the plot, you can cut any element of a story. You're so good at this.

You've got a 0-10 match up against obvious jokes and you should probably learn to get less weird about them

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Lemillion standing up to Overdrive without powers is the best moment in the manga

That one was very good. My favorite was the combination of the school concert and Gentle fight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eggplant Squire posted:

That one was very good. My favorite was the combination of the school concert and Gentle fight.

I personally liked how the anime handled that by turning it into a full musical number (in English for some reason)

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Larryb posted:

I personally liked how the anime handled that by turning it into a full musical number (in English for some reason)

In the future, everyone speaks English. The rest of the dialog is simply translated for the Japanese audience.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So All for One is just the Reverse Flash now: IT WAS ME SHIMURA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sjUGLRwtyA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

Is Toga dead for sure? Maybe I’m just used to Dabi refusing to die despite being burnt to a crisp several times.

Toga is 'dead' in that she got a sendoff that makes her look extremely dead, but we've got no body or confirmation of her actual death (and notably nothing seemed to be mentioned when they were carting away injured people from the fight) which could mean anything from "She's dead and dissolved into happy sparkles" to "She's alive and escaped" to "Actually she was a Twice-Toga Clone All Along And The Actual Toga hosed Off To Mexico"

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
toga will show up one last time to say uraraka.... ur a baka and then stab her in the back and uraraka will die. Sorry for spoilers

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bleck posted:

Anime fans are dumb.

The website with speed scans and a comment section is always good for a laugh.

Anyone who criticizes MHA? They're just a dumb hater who is looking for an excuse to bash peak manga. And these comments are always followed by the person who makes them bashing another manga like JJK. :v:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The website with speed scans and a comment section is always good for a laugh.

Anyone who criticizes MHA? They're just a dumb hater who is looking for an excuse to bash peak manga. And these comments are always followed by the person who makes them bashing another manga like JJK. :v:

They just don't understand the deep, complex, and thought provocative themes of the series and its writing. Some day when they mature, they'll see it for the grandoise masterpiece that it was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Dark Secret is that honestly like Sakamoto Days or Undead Unluck are better than JJK or MHA right now. :colbert:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

The Dark Secret is that honestly like Sakamoto Days or Undead Unluck are better than JJK or MHA right now. :colbert:

I'm not seeing Dandadan listed there. Akane-Banashi and Medalist as well if we aren't limiting it to battle shonen.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

doomrider7 posted:

I'm not seeing Dandadan listed there. Akane-Banashi and Medalist as well if we aren't limiting it to battle shonen.

Oh, I was just thinking of raw fightmans rather than sports/theater/etc because yeah Akane-Banashi is great. I can't really speak for Dandadan because I'm aware it's good but the first chapter didn't work for me so I haven't been in a rush to read it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I don’t know if MHA has ever been peak. I remember consistent complaints as far back as Overhaul, although those were often about how his power seemed to be broken on paper but Overhaul himself was just making spikes that grew at people. I think the series has been consistently good up until the endgame, and even still has some of the best art in the game. There’s a lot of dynamic posing, solid character designs, and great linework.

Also this may seem dumb but the sheer lmao factor of some of the recent plot developments has me fully onboard again. I think from “he was born an arrogant baby” has been incredible in some absurd ways. Baffling plot decisions left and right. Bakugo vs Arrogant Baby is maybe the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen.

But I have bad taste and Gentle Criminal vs Deku is my favorite fight in the series.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I agree it did a full 180 from awful to amazing when Bakugo fought a baby.

But like, a different kind of amazing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I don’t know if MHA has ever been peak. I remember consistent complaints as far back as Overhaul, although those were often about how his power seemed to be broken on paper but Overhaul himself was just making spikes that grew at people. I think the series has been consistently good up until the endgame, and even still has some of the best art in the game. There’s a lot of dynamic posing, solid character designs, and great linework.

Also this may seem dumb but the sheer lmao factor of some of the recent plot developments has me fully onboard again. I think from “he was born an arrogant baby” has been incredible in some absurd ways. Baffling plot decisions left and right. Bakugo vs Arrogant Baby is maybe the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen.

But I have bad taste and Gentle Criminal vs Deku is my favorite fight in the series.

It's easy to forget, because MHA had been "good, not great" at it's best for years now, but everything from beginning until Provisional Hero License exam (or Overhaul arc, depending on taste) has been pretty much peak shonen with only few very minor flaws. Things like Deku vs. Todoroki, or the first All Might vs. AfO are classics.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ImpAtom posted:

Toga is 'dead' in that she got a sendoff that makes her look extremely dead, but we've got no body or confirmation of her actual death (and notably nothing seemed to be mentioned when they were carting away injured people from the fight) which could mean anything from "She's dead and dissolved into happy sparkles" to "She's alive and escaped" to "Actually she was a Twice-Toga Clone All Along And The Actual Toga hosed Off To Mexico"

Calling it now, the Uraraka that got taken away on the helicopter is actually Toga and the real Uraraka is going to show up to the final battle to help Deku.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Heh, Sakamoto Days has been better for a good while!!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Rhonne posted:

Calling it now, the Uraraka that got taken away on the helicopter is actually Toga and the real Uraraka is going to show up to the final battle to help Deku.

I had assumed this was what happened.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

This would be the one way in which the main series would do better than Vigilantes. Uraraka participating at all rather than laid up in a hospital.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I don’t know if MHA has ever been peak.
'next, its your turn' was really good

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I think I enjoyed everything til the end of Overhaul arc.

There's something silly about realising, "oh you know how Eri + Deku was just unfathomably powerful? If they did that right now All for One would instantly disable or revert or one up them. For some reason."

Kind of sucks the wind out of it all. Very dragonball z style "haha you fool, I actually had even more hidden power!" That is, grade school "nuhuh I have a force field to block your lasers!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

syntaxfunction posted:

Yeah I think I enjoyed everything til the end of Overhaul arc.

There's something silly about realising, "oh you know how Eri + Deku was just unfathomably powerful? If they did that right now All for One would instantly disable or revert or one up them. For some reason."

Kind of sucks the wind out of it all. Very dragonball z style "haha you fool, I actually had even more hidden power!" That is, grade school "nuhuh I have a force field to block your lasers!"

Also lemillion just getting his powers back off screen sucked

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pretty sure everything up until post-Kamino was considered pretty good

Joint Training was probably one of the first major souring points due to Momo being Momo'd ("not feeling like she won") and the reveal of Blackwhip and the fact Deku was going to get more powers, though there was the small hope it meant he'd do more in his fights beyond "Punch gooder" - and then half of his powers were still just "punch even more gooder")

(There's the grumbling about the Overhaul arc's pacing, but the general consensus was that it was still good)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my hero academia has always been a middling-to-poor fight manga, emphasis on the "fight" part, and as more and more of it got taken up by fighting the quality dropped

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

syntaxfunction posted:

Very dragonball z style "haha you fool, I actually had even more hidden power!"

People keep saying stuff like this as though it isn't a fact that Dragon Ball tended to handle this kind of thing pretty well.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Bleck posted:

People keep saying stuff like this as though it isn't a fact that Dragon Ball tended to handle this kind of thing pretty well.

Okay, call it a poor imitation then, this is a thread for complaining about MHA not defending DBZ :colbert:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Okay, call it a poor imitation then, this is a thread for complaining about MHA not defending DBZ :colbert:

And that's part of why I find this thread's complaints have lost pretty much all weight. Even after a chapter is mostly agreed to be pretty fun, the thread keeps talking itself around until it can complain again about the same chapter, then it goes back as far as it can get away with to place MHA's failure as a manga earlier.

There's been plenty of weak stuff (Taguchi's time as editor was much worse than what we're getting now, for example), but if all of it gets the same response, then it's hard to get anything of value out of the discussion.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Bleck posted:

???
Have you *seen* freeza?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dbz's handling of it varies. frieza is a pretty bad handling of it, since he just arbitrarily gets stronger and stronger. you could cut out everything but first form and final form and not really lose any narrative importance, there's a reason those forms never show up in any of the later stuff with frieza, and why the cooler movie thats clearly aping the frieza arc also just gives cooler one transformation. all the fighting with piccolo, krillin, gohan, and vegeta could just be his first form, then he could go final form and beat them all up. there's also barely any narrative justification for why he doesnt go final form immediately. zarbon holds back his transformation because hes a narcissist and its hideous, but frieza doesn't get any sort of similar justification, beyond a vague sense of pride.

but cell and buu are fairly good handlings of it since there's an actual logic to the transformation and a narrative purpose. cell specifically needs to absorb 17 and 18 so he has to slink around in the shadows until he gets a chance to pounce. him absorbing an entire city for just a little more power is a cool visual.

likewise buu also makes sense. hes a character whos basically a complete blank slate, hercule teaches him to be good, but hes inherently violent and chaotic. when hes given an outside trigger (the dog being shot) hes so caught between what hercule's taught him - that killing people randomly is wrong - and his desire for violent revenge on the guy who shot the dog that he physically splits in two. its basically a symbolic representation of his internal struggle. the evil side overpowering him and taking him over is also basically just a visual representation of what happened. you could jsut have fat buu start killing people again, but super buu feels like a progression, accomplishes the 'he's even STRONGER...' thing that keeps the stakes escalating, and visually lays out the character's progression.

the absorptions and kid buu dont work as well, but still.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

And that's part of why I find this thread's complaints have lost pretty much all weight. Even after a chapter is mostly agreed to be pretty fun, the thread keeps talking itself around until it can complain again about the same chapter, then it goes back as far as it can get away with to place MHA's failure as a manga earlier.

There's been plenty of weak stuff (Taguchi's time as editor was much worse than what we're getting now, for example), but if all of it gets the same response, then it's hard to get anything of value out of the discussion.

I'ma gonna be real honest, I enjoyed the manga and anime a lot definitely up to the end of Gentle Criminal (UA School Festival arc). That was chapter 183, in 2018. At the minimum I still largely enjoyed everything up until the end of the Paranormal Liberation War arc. The last chapter of that was 306, in 2021. After that has been a mixed bag, at best, bouncing from great and interesting, to terrible and dumb. And then the Final War arc started around beginning of 2022. And it's just been straight up pretty poo poo.

That is a long time since something great, and a long time to be reading this without thinking "this is dumb". Additionally, I don't really care to judge a story on a chapter by chapter basis, but as each arc as a whole. Having a chapter that's "pretty fun" and then whiplashing into dumb and junky chapter is actually not good. I'm not gonna go "well the arc overhaul has been braindead but that one chapter had some alright dialogue from that one guy".

In summary this started off pretty great, was solid, and has been loving dumb for almost 3 years now (almost a third of its lifetime) and there is no chance at all the ending is anything but dumber still but I sure as heck enjoy laughing at how far it's come lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also yeah its weird to go 'well this chapter is decent so its actually just petty trolling to say its bad' like the whole problem with this arc in general is how drawn out and interminable it feels. it being kind of funny to see sugar rush show up and there being some sort of interesting backstory ideas doesnt change that this should have ended a year ago.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Last Celebration posted:

Mirio/Lemillion in general was one of the best parts of the manga. Just a super positive helpful guy with one of the most out there applications of intangibility that also sold him being a super hard worker that tried harder than everyone around him to get too tier.

A lot of this manga is very forgettable but Mirio's "My quirk is strong because I made it strong" is one of the best moments in the series IMO.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Sometimes I think about how Mirio and Tamaki got a whole anime episode about how much they love each other.

MHA is a mid to pretty good shounen but a great BL

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

MachuPikacchu posted:

A lot of this manga is very forgettable but Mirio's "My quirk is strong because I made it strong" is one of the best moments in the series IMO.

Also why Vigilantes is good tbh. Koichi's quirk was a very middling meh quirk that would have been only a fun party trick until he decided to train it heavily.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Mymla posted:

???
Have you *seen* freeza?

I have. He looks really cool, imo.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bleck posted:

I have. He looks really cool, imo.

Uh, you know he's the bad guy, right?

Boy, media literacy really is at an all time low. :rolleyes:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

syntaxfunction posted:

That is a long time since something great, and a long time to be reading this without thinking "this is dumb". Additionally, I don't really care to judge a story on a chapter by chapter basis, but as each arc as a whole. Having a chapter that's "pretty fun" and then whiplashing into dumb and junky chapter is actually not good. I'm not gonna go "well the arc overhaul has been braindead but that one chapter had some alright dialogue from that one guy".

Basically this. An individual okay-to-good-in-a-vacuum chapter is largely irrelevant if the surrounding chapters are dross, and bad writing in those surrounding chapters can drag down the good writing in the good one. As an example, we had an entire sequence of people having big emotional moments before unleashing their super ultra finishing move attack on Shigaraki/AfO and functionally all of them were effectively no sold and rendered irrelevant as early as the beginning of the next chapter. Suneater forming a plasma cannon out of the sum total of all he's learned and strived for to shoot Shigaraki in the face is a cool beat with great art that is subsequently ruined the moment you turn a couple pages and Shigaraki didn't give a single poo poo.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 10, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Uh, you know he's the bad guy, right?

Boy, media literacy really is at an all time low. :rolleyes:

Bad guys can be very cool, I know this is the MHA thread so you might have forgotten that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

also yeah its weird to go 'well this chapter is decent so its actually just petty trolling to say its bad' like the whole problem with this arc in general is how drawn out and interminable it feels. it being kind of funny to see sugar rush show up and there being some sort of interesting backstory ideas doesnt change that this should have ended a year ago.

Yeah, there's been some decent moments but it's all a bit silly. I don't usually even bother commenting on it, the fact that I'm commenting now is as much on a whim relating to the discussion itself more than anything concerning the manga directly.