Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

RocketMermaid posted:

Annointed posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court: This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Annointed posted:

This is the worst anti suicide psa i seen

RocketMermaid posted:

Zoya posted:

CodfishCartographer posted:

I mean I'd phrase it "I've seen" but yeah lol it works on multiple levels

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I sure hope nobody urgently needs the information Annie was planning to go share with them

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh my god is she Robot?
Oh she's sky watcher. That's why she keeps just kinda creepily staring at people.

Oh wow, imagine if this whole chapter had been told from sky watcher's perspective. All these chaotic happenings narrated from the perspective of a new person whose whole life was acquiring new data.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cavatica posted:

Aren't they in a way forcibly disassembling the robots already? None of the current Numans were able to give their consent on whether they wanted a new body. Kat just rounded up all the chips and decided for them because of their weird override code. And in the She Gave Us an Ocean chapter, there wasn't really any choice given, just "yo, you've been in a coma for a hot minute, so now we're giving you a new body and more brain probs. Pick something super default, k?"

Tiny Myers posted:

Literally a single "can I have my old body back, I liked it". You can't tell me no one was attached to their old body even a little? Not even the Robot King who drew on his funny little faces?
I'd have loved for the new people scenes to have like 10% of them as weird hosed up organic heavy machinery. Like you've got 2/3rds of them with the "human in tracksuit" look, and 2/3rds of the rest as vampires with cat ears or covered in chitin and such, and the remaining minority are two story tall organic earth diggers. One new person is only ever shown as a whole bunch of spindly legs supporting who knows what out of screen and none of the new people comment on it because that's just what Shelly looks like.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 6, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

Oh she's sky watcher. That's why she keeps just kinda creepily staring at people.

Oh wow, imagine if this whole chapter had been told from sky watcher's perspective. All these chaotic happenings narrated from the perspective of a new person whose whole life was acquiring new data.

But we were told that she WASN'T a robot!

...oh why am I expecting any sort of consistency in the comic at this point?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rat Patrol posted:

Why is her response so unfeeling? Her friend who she literally brought to life from storage just spilled his guts about wanting to die and her reply isn't, oh my god robot don't talk like that, kat would never harm you, we are friends, we can help you, something is wrong but we can figure this out!

No it's, um ACTUALLY you aren't the first dead robot loser, some nobody beat you there.

Like hey Annie? Is this the perfect moment for a fact check?? Like maybe that's information that can wait till later huh???? Like maybe his factual correctness isn't the most important thing to address in this exact moment?

Edit: like there is an uncaring rear end in a top hat nobody with no emotional connection to robot RIGHT THERE if someone needed to be a loving pedant. If robot HAS to learn about Sam this exact moment, why not the notzimmybot? She's making a stupid uninterested face and everything, she could just butt in and give Annie the opportunity to pretend she has an ounce of tact or empathy and, I dunno, be like, "hey stranger that's not really here or there right this second could you shut up"
This is also yet another example of Tom just fundamentally hating the concept of a redemption arc. You know what should be done here?

Robot asks who it was.

That's how your redeem Robot here. He finds out one of the new people died and he completely snaps out of his pity party because /one of his friends is dead/. He plotted and planned and manipulated everyone to get the transfer process finished and running and he was literally /in their heads/ when they were reborn... and now one of them is dead.

Then he talks about Sam. He knows his name. He knows about the pipes. This builds on how he knew Loup was Loup because /he knows them all/. He asks Skywatcher how Sam's closest friends are doing, who he also knows by name. He suddenly realised /this is all real/. He's been treating this like a story or a game, treating people as archetypes and playing pieces. Even now he's deflecting, going full woe is me instead of actually addressing his actions (sound familiar?). But then he learns that Sam is dead, and we learn about Sam from someone who loved him and knew him, far more than Robot himself even realised. This is what makes him realise that he isn't some tragic figure in a story he's writing, he's a real person playing with real lives and one of them just ended on his watch. On Kat's watch. A child who has no idea what she's doing. Who has even less of an understanding of the magnitude, the reality, of her actions than he does. Did. Because now he finally, actually comprehends what he has done and he needs to /fix this/.

That's who should be their psychopomp. One of their own who only now realises how much they really mean to him, only now realises the new people are /people/. Who was there when they were truly born and at every step in between. Whose devastation and complete turnaround at the loss of Sam is in stark contrast to the "haha, jeez" of the teenager he's been literally deifying. Robot's path to redemption would have begun when the death of this innocent, a soul he very much had a hand in creating and losing, shocked him into true, genuine self reflection. A path of doing what he can to mitigate damage until the child he rushed to godhead can truly fulfill the role.

A genuine change of heart, a genuine acceptance of culpability, and a genuine effort to make amends where he can do the most good, and stay away from where he knows he will do harm.

Redemption.

Anyway time to check the new page... oh. Ah well.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 6, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Splicer posted:

... oh. Ah well.

This would indeed be a much better, and much stronger, story. Unfortunately Sam is not a complete person to the author, and so will never matter like this. The numans aren’t characters, they’re just ‘people’ in the sense of filling space in crowd shots and having a sort of shared demographic personality, just like the green elves and the fairies and the court officials. If you don’t have a visibly unique character design you are set dressing.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This whole thing really just hits home how much interesting the robots were than the new people. Also I still don't like how only pages ago the robot religion was fine and good, but now it's creepy again, but only for this one guy.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's honestly for the best that most of the recurring characters we have any history with are offscreen. You can imagine they're having emotionally cathartic moments that aren't undercut by feeling incredibly rushed and conveniently coming up right now.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's honestly for the best that most of the recurring characters we have any history with are offscreen. You can imagine they're having emotionally cathartic moments that aren't undercut by feeling incredibly rushed and conveniently coming up right now.

You say that but the arc isn't over yet. There's still plenty of time for more characters to get dragged into this mess.

Smitty could be next for all we know.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

JuniperCake posted:

You say that but the arc isn't over yet. There's still plenty of time for more characters to get dragged into this mess.

Smitty could be next for all we know.

Considering that the black-haired robo girl was teleport ING them all over the place...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

She's Parley's kid.. from the FUTURE

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

She's Parley's kid.. from the FUTURE
I have a very funny joke but it's also a spoiler for a minor subplot of a webcomic that wrapped up almost 20 years ago so

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's Walky?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

YggiDee posted:

It's Walky?
Nope ---Narbonic---

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Splicer posted:

Nope ---Narbonic---

Yeah but that webcomic was a labor of love and had a final arc based around a fast-paced and action-packed resolution of the comic's plot and themes so it can't possibly hold up to modern Gunnerkrigg Court and its purposeful spitting in the face of its fans.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Comments don't seem disgusted at tom being glib about suicide.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Annointed posted:

Comments don't seem disgusted at tom being glib about suicide.

comments have to be approved before they show up... wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't approve overly negative comments

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Also a good chunk of the more critical readers are probably long gone by now or at least unlikely to bother to leave a comment.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Yeah I think the two camps are “genuinely likes it including the mind cage, twin annie resolution and our new protags loup and lana” and “this thread, staring bleakly into the numen void”, and I kinda just assume we’re not in the comment sections when we have such a nice cage to bond in here

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

My dear shadow has forsaken me

You know

The worst part

We could have been in the universe where this was good

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Why does Shadow talk like Kat - actually nvm they’ve all been a bit samey teenager for a while.

Let it end soon we’re too stockholmed to let go

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Shadow always sounded like Annie, because they were immitating her voice. I think?

I guess it would make sense for them to sound more like Kat now, having been living in her basement for a long time.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I thought all this would be building up to some kind of longer term conflict / antagonism but it seems more like it’s being framed as “Robot sure has been convincing himself of some wild melodramatic things. What a dummy! His partner has to go smack some sense into him”

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Well you see, any time a partner or loved one is manipulative or lovely, but feels bad about it, you need to go tell them that actually you love them no matter what and they’re fine the way they are.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
why doesn't annie touch this and make it explode away

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Prediction: Not-Lanazimmy is going to step forward in the next page and be like "no let me do it" and reveal Robot's true form because why not have a nameless idiot with no meaningful emotional attachment do it

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

She will merge with Robot to cleanse Robots sins and also give Robot a new body (that just happens to be a woman).

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fecha posted:

I thought all this would be building up to some kind of longer term conflict / antagonism but it seems more like it’s being framed as “Robot sure has been convincing himself of some wild melodramatic things. What a dummy! His partner has to go smack some sense into him”

Yeah, see, that's my problem. The way it's heading it really seems like this has no implications for the robot cult at large. He's just the one misguided bad egg and the rest of them are good and fine (despite YEARS of building them up as creepy).

And it will probably be resolved just as fast as Annie fixed Kat's threatening machine god aura by saying "focus on me" and that's it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 8, 2024

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
would you still "oh, robot" me if i was a worm

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Bruh literally

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
This page got me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Weirdest interpretation of the Bed of Chaos fight ever.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Lmao

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Gunnerkrigg Court:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"If your partner's being hysterical just hit them a bunch."

Hmm, no, that's inconsistent with the comic so far.

"Inside your abusive partner is a vulnerable little snugglebug if you fight hard enough to find it."

There we go.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

ok I do like how robot is still trapped in the shell of his CPU chip but it's grown in the zimmyverse much like how we saw the little CPU chip bugs a couple chapters ago :kimchi: