Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Saving our high streets, the New Labour Way

Step 1: MORE POLICE

https://x.com/AngelaRayner/status/1777975656850112881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Saving our high streets, the New Labour Way

Step 1: MORE POLICE

https://x.com/AngelaRayner/status/1777975656850112881

13000 hungry plod will keep a few Greggs in business at least

E: the "revamp disused spaces" part is one of those things that's potentially good if it meant like subsidising the creation of artist studios out of old factory space. But in reality it probably means turning local playground into NFT Design Spaces and bitcoin mining server farms

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 10, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I have ARFID, which is a mental illness that massively restricts my diet and makes me disabled under the government's definition. Despite that my answer to a survey that had a question that broadly asks "Are you disabled" would depend a lot contextually on why I was answering the survey. ARFID is a "hidden" disability in that nobody will know I have it unless I tell them or I end up in a situation where I have to eat food prepared by others in front of others. So if it's a survey about, like, video game accessibility I'd be answering "no" to that question, whereas if it's a survey at my work about, like, some plan regarding work nights out, then the answer is yes.

I agree there's no wording of a question like that that's going to please everyone. I sure as hell don't identify as having a disability, my disability has nothing to do with my identity as a person, it's a disease I have and don't want, nothing about it is me. But I'd know what that question means and just roll my eyes while picking yes or no based on the context above. I think "do you consider yourself to have a disability" is better for me since objectively I have a condition, but that condition is only a disability in certain contexts so sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes it's no. But I can see how certain people who are much worse afflicted by their conditions could bristle at that wording, because in a sense you can read it to imply that having a disability is subjective, and they conceive of their condition as objectively disabling. I think my preferred wording would just be the blunt "Do you have a disability?", I know some people would dislike that phrasing too, but I personally I'd prefer just being direct.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Why does Labour think people want or care about “face to face banking” lol

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I got my 75 year old mum set up on NatWest online and she absolutely loves it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

Another anecdote, my 80 something neighbours are forever driving into town to do some banking. I don't think they have a computer.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
List of communities: Highland and Grampian, North-west England, etc

Stamp out late payments: if you pay late we will stamp on you

Etc etc

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

smellmycheese posted:

idgaf but I do like the nice buildings that Lloyds seem to have a monopoly on so I reckon they should be made to share them with all the other banks, it's not like they need all that space themselves these days. And then turn the other banks into something more useful. Hot desks for bankers, yes and ho!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Revamp empty shops means more gambling arcades.

smellmycheese posted:

I never want to even see a banker. Let me do it all on the website, and phone if I need my account unlocked.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A fart from fartlow

I don't have an apple device to see.

On my work macbook I got the Cross of Jerusalem in the emoji search: ☩

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

smellmycheese posted:

Not everyone can use tech and it means some people are locked out of a basic service? My town used to have 6-7 banks but now there's one - a Nationwide who say they'll never leave.

This also means there's only a single free cash machine in town. If that left, there's be a big impact on people who need to get cash out or any other basic card services. https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/...wo-years-975165 for an example of why that is important.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 10, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Another anecdote, my 80 something neighbours are forever driving into town to do some banking. I don't think they have a computer.

Oh actually it's a policy aimed at old people. The sort who hold up the queue at the self service checkouts because they are waiting for the cash only one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

I got my 75 year old mum set up on NatWest online and she absolutely loves it

My mum (mid 80s) drove the woman in HSBC in our nearest big city that still has a bank absolutely mental. The woman spent 45 minutes patiently teaching mum how to use internet banking. But mum still just didn't get it (not only that mum has a hand tremor that means using a mouse to tick boxes or whatever is almost impossible for her) and the woman said "I'm not sure internet banking is for you". Mum went ballistic at her - how dare you - mum has however many degrees - she is not stupid etc etc. So the woman spent another 45 mins doing it all again. Mum still didn't get it. She has the necessary to do it but (fortunately) never has. Hand tremor + cataracts would almost certainly lead to £2k going somewhere (who knows where?) instead of £20 to Bill I Meant To Pay.

I should point out, while the physical limitations are down to mum's age, her lack of ability when it comes to tech has always been the same since she was much younger. She hates tech and just refuses to learn how to do things properly. When we were kids, dad's hifi unit was always breaking and he was always blaming us until he came home one day and found mum hammering at all the buttons until it stopped. She always listened to the Saturday Play on Radio 4 all fuzzy because she couldn't tune it. She's ok with email because she's been forced to use it with her volunteering rotas etc. (Oh and did I tell you about the time she chopped the wire at home because she doesn't like wires and then spent 6 months complaining no internet but BT kept saying it was working - old stone cottage, wifi didn't go through the walls to the more remote parts, so my nephew had put in internet boosters and she'd cut a vital wire).

My godmother - same age as mum - is very happy using tech, ipad, etc.

(If there were Olympic Stubborn, mum would win Gold for UK every time).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 10, 2024

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Has she considered using an accessibility device in the setup of the PC/Browser? It sounds more like that could be the issue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wouldn't personally consider my ADHD to be a disability because it only causes problems because of other people, I'm fine on my own. If i'd lost a leg that would be a problem for me regardless.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Not a hate crime, but definitely needs a rewording.

Not a lawyer, but seems likely to be a GDPR violation, and I think that’s still applicable law. Disability status is sensitive personal data, which you are only supposed to collect for a specified and limited or reason, never because ‘it might come in handy’.

If you know what purpose you are collecting it for, then there is very likely going to be a more relevant question you can ask, like ‘do you require wheelchair access?’

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Starbucks posted:

Has she considered using an accessibility device in the setup of the PC/Browser? It sounds more like that could be the issue.

She wouldn't cope with it. She uses a laptop. Her hand would just be skidding all over the place and things would time out all the time. And like I said she's stubborn as a mule and refuses to accept that she needs to change anything - eyesight, hearing, hand wobble- it's everything else that's wrong. (Yes so ok site designers should be more aware of various disabilities but they're not. They should get a wider variety of people to try them out. But I digress.)

She couldn't order a national express ticket online because the box to accept terms & conditions is so tiny - about 1 pixel square - she just couldn't get the cursor in to it (watching her try to do this is how I realized she had a big problem with her hand). Before now she's paid for 2 national express tickets when there's only her going because of errors with data entry.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doing away with face-to-face banking also hugely impacts the people who can't afford a phone, which is also a huge roadblock.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Doing away with face-to-face banking also hugely impacts the people who can't afford a phone, which is also a huge roadblock.

i sent this information to keir starmer and now he's banned just stop oil from owning phones

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Any good sources on this Cass Review that isn't hysterical British Terf media?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1777954531847848016

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but here I am...

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Let's see what David Icke's been up to, said no-one:

https://twitter.com/bryn_boranga/status/1777802248644428164?t=4MpAb_oQesSh1UsmPO0kvw

Aha.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

he's come a long way from doing the football

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Has he been possessed by the spirit of Derek Acorah?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 10, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
So are the demons possessing the lizards, or are they a separate thing?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Only £5 a month for quality programming like that? Maybe the government should buy some ads on Ickonic, too. I can see a lot of potential there. Plus David Icke's son is the CEO, so it's a family business. You have to support family businesses.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Lol! I almost went to thehellfire caves a few years back when we were on holiday. Its a bunch of caves on/near a posh estate where a bunch of 'poets' (you know the ones) would have parties/orgies etc. Apparently one time they invited a bishop, and released a baboon dressed up as as a devil into the caves to terrify him. What japes!
A forerunner to the Bullingdon club, and thus proving the demonic origins of brexit.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Katy Montgomerie has been tweeting comments etc on it - I've only skimmed them though so not sure how much detail they go into.

https://twitter.com/KatyMontgomerie

(This is a link to her page not a tweet hence why nothing shows!)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

radmonger posted:

Not a lawyer, but seems likely to be a GDPR violation, and I think that’s still applicable law. Disability status is sensitive personal data, which you are only supposed to collect for a specified and limited or reason, never because ‘it might come in handy’.

If you know what purpose you are collecting it for, then there is very likely going to be a more relevant question you can ask, like ‘do you require wheelchair access?’

It would be covered under legitimate interests if they're using EDI demographics to ensure minorities aren't receiving discrepancies in service

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OzyMandrill posted:

Apparently one time they invited a bishop, and released a baboon dressed up as as a devil into the caves to terrify him. What japes!

Ok but that actually owns

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

keep punching joe posted:

Pink News has a couple of articles up on it

https://www.thepinknews.com/2024/04/10/cass-review-extreme-caution-puberty-blockers/

https://www.thepinknews.com/2024/04/10/cass-report-25-medical-treatment/

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Forgive me if i've misunderstood, but despite acknowledging that early transition lowers risk of suicide, the report seems to repeat the terf talking point of "there's not enough hard evidence* that puberty blockers work, so lets ban them so there's never going to be enough hard evidence that they work."

* Because trans people saying they work apparently isn't enough.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The report is a conclusion working backwards, yes.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

"It's a bloody disgrace"

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Loving all the companies in the last few months announcing record or massive profit increases despite being told inflation, wage increases, cost of living to justify huge jumps in prices and/or sacking staff and/or freezing pay.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Forgive me if i've misunderstood, but despite acknowledging that early transition lowers risk of suicide, the report seems to repeat the terf talking point of "there's not enough hard evidence* that puberty blockers work, so lets ban them so there's never going to be enough hard evidence that they work."

* Because trans people saying they work apparently isn't enough.

The report mentions that they discounted most of the evidence due to it not being double blind (neither the researcher nor the participants know who has the real treatment and who has a placebo).

Almost everything they discounted involves stuff that is impossible to do double blind.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 10, 2024

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
how is a government going to force privately-owned banks to stop shutting branches?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Julio Cruz posted:

how is a government going to force privately-owned banks to stop shutting branches?

just wait until the next financial crash and bailout when they'll publicly own them again for a bit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Scotlab never change

The National posted:

A SCOTTISH Labour candidate at the centre of a row over her sharing “racist” tweets has been criticised for reposting messages calling for Holyrood to be abolished.

Labour’s Cowdenbeath and Kirkcaldy General Election candidate Wilma Brown deleted her Twitter/X account after The National revealed a swathe of offensive tweets she had liked and reposted.

These included posts featuring the debunked viral claim that Humza Yousaf said there are “too many white people in Scotland” and tweets claiming that Scottish Government aid to Gaza was going to Hamas.

Last month, Brown also liked a racist post telling an Indian man who was expressing his love for England and its flag “you will NEVER be an Englishman” and “it is not your flag”.

It has now also emerged she has liked several posts that claim the Scottish Parliament should be “shut down” or “brought under special measures by the British Government”.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24244257.wilma-brown-labour-candidate-shares-abolish-holyrood-posts/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
given events i figured this was going to be about support for gaza but lol that’s a yikesaroonie