Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Yeah, the mis-labelling of the map pack's size could have been CGL's fault, but the full charging of all of the handling fees sounds like it's on the shipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
My shipping went from $115.66 to $0.00 :toot:

Yeah I'm sure they'll put up a new number soon. Other people already got updated numbers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm not sure I'd blame this on CGL.

It sounds like Quartermaster Logistics got lazy and hosed them over.
Nah, VAT is definitely on CGL, since it's the same thing they hosed up on the Centurion kickstarter. They are just really bad at learning from the same mistake.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My shipping went from $115.66 to $0.00 :toot:

Yeah I'm sure they'll put up a new number soon. Other people already got updated numbers.

Same, I'm curious what it'll end up as

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

GD_American posted:

Crosspost from the GBS thread:

Dude is right. This is an amazing read for two bucks. There's a bunch of clever actual in-universe backstory behind the cartoon throughout.

Here's the other item I just posted, the Purple Monkey leader based on Janos Marik:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Arquinsiel posted:

Nah, VAT is definitely on CGL, since it's the same thing they hosed up on the Centurion kickstarter. They are just really bad at learning from the same mistake.

As someone who doesn't have to deal with VAT, what should they have done?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

LaSquida posted:

As someone who doesn't have to deal with VAT, what should they have done?

Boiling it down very very simply to what I grasp as a complete novice in selling stuff internationally:

VAT is dependent on a) where you are selling from, b) where you are selling to, and c) what you are selling.

So for example, I am in Sweden. I have a general VAT level of 25% that covers most things. But books are an exception, and has a 6% VAT rate.

If I sell to a customer inside the EU, I pay VAT for the customer in Sweden. If I sell to a customer outside EU, I pay no VAT, and the customer is supposed to pay any eventual local VAT.

So if I were to sell a bunch of mecha miniatures and books, I would a) need to apply a different VAT rate for my SKUs depending if they are minis, books, mats etc. You can do this in Backerkit. I would also need to adjust VAT to apply differently for my customers depending on where they are from. You can do this in Backerkit.

This applies to shipping as well.

It seems, and take this with a big grain of salt, that they just slapped a flat VAT rate on every customer based on the entire order. And then a flat rate for VAT for shipping, despite this differing a lot from country to country (and in the US, apparently, from state to state). And if you bought a 200 dollar book and get slapped with 25% VAT instead of 6% (or zero, as in the UK), that's noticable.

The reason I think CGL hosed this part up and not the delivery firm is because one of the reasons I used Backerkit instead of just Kickstarter is that Kickstarter's backend sucks basketballs and you can't see or do much, which means even a hundred customers will gently caress you up. But in Backerkit you can do all these things, such as applying VAT for your customers, calculate shipping etc. and do it based on where the customer is located. So they probably did all this in Backerkit, but didn't do it properly (such as applying VAT differently for different addons and depending on location of customer).

And charging VAT incorrectly can get you in trouble.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 5, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Plus they weren't saying "this price is pre-tax" on Kickstarter anyway, and US-based backers aren't complaining about being hit by unexpected sales taxx, which implies that they were pricing to be profitable at the highest possible rate of US sales tax and just not giving a poo poo about the rest of the world.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I've got like 6 mech painted atm, like 8 more primed and 8 more still aitting in boxes, and i realized that i really need to learn to play this game.

Are there any good tutorials online or just good how to play videos? I learn better by seeing or doing over the just reading, especially when it's this dense. I was also thinking of jumping into alpha stike to streamline things, but figured learning the normal game would give me a better base.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just got an FDM printer and I'm thinking about printing off a whole modular tile board setup... I think I've lost my mind, this is gonna take weeks just to print.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Elblanco posted:

I've got like 6 mech painted atm, like 8 more primed and 8 more still aitting in boxes, and i realized that i really need to learn to play this game.

Are there any good tutorials online or just good how to play videos? I learn better by seeing or doing over the just reading, especially when it's this dense. I was also thinking of jumping into alpha stike to streamline things, but figured learning the normal game would give me a better base.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW4v4K6PB7qK-hdRwU2FQ3MupQyBKQfa9

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Elblanco posted:

The best way to learn is to get an experienced player to guide you through your first games, so if that’s an option, do that!

And you’re right on your last point - AS and BT are fairly different games but if you know how to play BT, learning AS is a breeze. It’s based on the same fundamentals when it comes to adding up the modifiers etc.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DEHUMANISE YOURSELF AND FACE TO HEX GRID

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
i've been hexed by a Warlock

(legit surprised there is no unit - at least in Sarna.net's reckoning - called some variety of Witch)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Merlin and Conjurer are the closest I can think of.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Merlin and Conjurer are the closest I can think of.

Well, there is a Warlock, but it's a WarShip

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Warlock is also a world in the Capellan Confederation.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Elblanco posted:

Where are you based? You can always try play via MegaMek to get some idea for how things work, but it'll hide a lit of the detail from you.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Where are you based? You can always try play via MegaMek to get some idea for how things work, but it'll hide a lit of the detail from you.

Im in kansas city, it looks like there may be a few griups around here, though. Also, a local place is doing a big battletech night event, but im not sure i can make it. I'll try megamek though!

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Elblanco posted:

Im in kansas city, it looks like there may be a few griups around here, though. Also, a local place is doing a big battletech night event, but im not sure i can make it. I'll try megamek though!

There will definitely be players at Midwest game fest in two weeks. I'll be busy with heroes of rokugan, sadly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't offer you an IRL game in Kansas City, but sounds like you got decent local options. Probably even multiple goons to play with.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I run BattleTech events out of the Geekery in Shawnee if you want to get some games in person.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Strobe posted:

I run BattleTech events out of the Geekery in Shawnee if you want to get some games in person.
Play with that goon right there

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Elblanco posted:

If you'd rather play the skirmish version, there's these tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ZGXFAwLKg&t=1361s

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
We played a 6-player (3v3) 250 pt Alpha Strike game for my tourney. People were coming in sporadically due to a miscommunication about time, but we had a total of 8 show up by the end, and half of the crew (not me) stayed for a second game after.

Pictures are out of order because Imgur sucks.

My force of Spirit Cats, I also put my Republic Triarii on the board as the game started 2 v 3, with our third member coming late and taking over Republic. Another guy played Hell's Horses or Scorpions, can't remember which. Third guy with painted minis was Davion Heavy Guard. Other three guys had unpainted Wolf in Exile, Wolf's Dragoons, and my Republic Triarii.

Crusader-10S downed by my Spirit Cats, yesssss, big threat off the board.

Fun fact about the Caesar, there's a variant in IlClan era with 14 pips of armor, 3 internal structure. All under 60 pts

Wolf Dragoon's had an Annihilator, Rifleman, and Blackjack that just kept sniping through-armor criticals into weapon hit crits. Happened to my Spirit Cats twice.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Fun fact about the Caesar, there's a variant in IlClan era with 14 pips of armor, 3 internal structure. All under 60 pts
Gotta admit, it's a little disappointing to see the Hardened Armor CES-5D described this way, because the details are oh so much more flavorful.

Almost full up on that double-durability armor, a headcapping PPC, a cluster gun for swatting VTOLs and crawlers, both reaching out to very long ranges, and oh let's also add a braindead-easy heat curve to activate Triple-Strength Myomer for FORTY-TWO-POINT kicks from those Talons!

Oh Davionistas, how the tables have turned. Look how Johnston Industries begs the Clanners for shiny new weapons to slap on their grotesque FrankenMech, only to let it play footsies like a Jade Chicken! Trot that laughingstock of faded Fedrat machismo onto the field to shore up the gaping holes in the defenses of your wastelands!

(you posted a cringe AS 'Mech description about a cool FS 'Mech, I couldn't help myself)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Did the CES-5D ever get more than the line in TRO: 3150 that says it only exists on the drawing board? I feel like I saw something about it but can't remember where.

(Also, pretty sure the PPC and lasers are domestically produced, just gotta say)

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That still leaves the HAG as imported, so I'm not wrong either

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Yesterday was battletech day, had an impromptu 3 way game, and got a chance to pose the whole of Skull Company together on a map. One person defending a base, two more assaulting both it and each other, and the defender won by default since nobody was able to keep fighting effectively and he had the most mechs survive intact.

If you open at full resolution in another window, you can see the decals better, along with all the flaws in my painting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Got a Catapult in a job lot of mechs from ebay, but something seems off about it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

What the hell is that sculpt

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
It looks like a Rakshasa without the arms

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

A Rakshasa with the arms removed, from the looks of it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Exactly that. I just decided to have some fun with it while assembling a bunch of old metals.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
From today's KS update:

"We are also looking further into the complexity of taxes and VATs to certain areas to double check that everything is correct, thank you backers for pointing us in that direction."

LOL I take that as a confirmation that they did, indeed, gently caress up VAT.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Y'know, I joke about the Alpha Wolf being the Mad Cat Mk. II Mk. II, but the more I look at it the more I think it's actually the Rakshasa Mk. II

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I see where you're going with that.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

Got a Catapult in a job lot of mechs from ebay, but something seems off about it.

I love the base that it's on, this is a cool dude!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gotta love a mech that skates into battle on tactical rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Hey goons, I've once again proven that I can't be trusted with disposable income, and went kinda hog-wild buying mechs (AGoAC and the beginner box). I've managed to rope one of my friends into recreating the glories of the Succession Wars and the Clan Invasion. Which books do we need for sheets and such?