Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

syntaxfunction posted:

Eclipse already went past, so now they gotta wait for the next chance to burn their retinas.

If you can think of a better way to make a Bored Ape look good than doing permanent damage to your seeing orbs, please let me know what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Neito posted:

If you can think of a better way to make a Bored Ape look good than doing permanent damage to your seeing orbs, please let me know what it is.

Hire this lady to make them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Hello Sailor posted:

Hire this lady to make them

Hey now, Monkey Christ is high loving art you philistine.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Bible posted:

If The Bible approves, it passes muster for me!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I played a game that takes place in the future, and in one chapter it’s revealed that the whole banking system was handled on the blockchain. In that chapter the whole nations economy is ruined because someone mined enough to have 51% of the coins and could do whatever they wanted lol

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

I played a game that takes place in the future, and in one chapter it’s revealed that the whole banking system was handled on the blockchain. In that chapter the whole nations economy is ruined because someone mined enough to have 51% of the coins and could do whatever they wanted lol

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, The Satoshi Monopoly

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Pirate Radar posted:

Your sister would watch Irreversible repeatedly?

Yes.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

kaschei posted:

-- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, The Satoshi Monopoly

"What goes up, better doggone well stay up!"

Meme stock investor, Scribbles On Wall - Unnamed Research Hospital

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The Bible posted:

It's the OG ape NFT but with more creativity

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pirate Radar posted:

Your sister would watch Irreversible repeatedly?
She kept missing bits so she had to start over.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Neito posted:

Careful about buying F-91Ws, the government may put you on a watchlist.

Edit: That said, I agree. I wear a Timex Ironman these days, not the least of which is because I got tired of trying to keep my Galaxy Watch charged and poo poo.

Seems legit:

quote:

The US government became suspicious of Afghans who wore Casio watches due to their ability to be used as timers for improvised explosive devices, a tactic favored by al-Qaeda.[10][11]

According to secret documents issued to interrogators at Guantanamo Bay, obtained[12] and released by The Guardian, "the Casio F-91W digital watch was declared to be 'the sign of al-Qaeda' and a contributing factor to continued detention of prisoners by the analysts stationed at Guantanamo Bay. Briefing documents used to train staff in assessing the threat level of new detainees advise that possession of the F-91W and the A159W, available online for as little as £4, suggests the wearer has been trained in bomb making by al-Qaeda in Afghanistan."[13] United States military intelligence officials have identified the F-91W as a watch that terrorists use in constructing time bombs.[14][15][16][17]

This association was highlighted in the Denbeaux study, and may have been used in some cases at Guantanamo Bay.[18] An article published in The Washington Post in 1996 reported that Abdul Hakim Murad, Wali Khan Amin Shah, and Ramzi Ahmed Yousef had developed techniques to use commonly available Casio digital watches to detonate time bombs.[19] Casio watches were mentioned almost 150 times in prisoner assessments from Guantanamo.[20]

On 12 July 2006, the magazine Mother Jones provided excerpts from the transcripts of a selection of the Guantanamo detainees.[16] The article informed readers:

More than a dozen detainees were cited for owning cheap digital watches, particularly "the infamous Casio watch of the type used by Al Qaeda members for bomb detonators."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Splicer posted:

She kept missing bits so she had to start over.

ha

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the buttcoin is capable of receiving enormous amounts of power

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sardonik posted:

"What goes up, better doggone well stay up!"

Meme stock investor, Scribbles On Wall - Unnamed Research Hospital

"You ivory tower intellectuals must not lose touch with the world of industrial growth and hard currency. It is all very well and good to pursue these high-minded scientific theories, but research grants are expensive. You must justify your existence by providing not only knowledge but concrete and profitable applications as well."
CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"

wait...

uh...

"Look at any photograph or work of art. If you could duplicate exactly the first tiny dot of color, and then the next and the next, you would end with a perfect copy of the whole, indistinguishable from the original in every way, including the so-called "moral value" of the art itself. Nothing can transcend its smallest elements."
CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Ethics of Greed"
Accompanies the Ape Generator

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Code is law. No manipulation.

quote:

We have talked a few times about Avi Eisenberg, who did a straightforward and rather funny manipulation of a decentralized finance platform called Mango Markets. (Briefly: He set up two accounts on Mango’s platform to trade futures contracts, he sold a bunch of futures on Mango’s own MNGO token from one account, he bought all those futures in another account, he went and bought spot MNGO on another platform to drive up the price of MNGO, he borrowed against his long futures position on Mango, he cashed out about $110 million and walked away from his losing position.)

Eisenberg’s problem is that he thought that Mango was a Fun Crypto Market but, for instance, US prosecutors think it’s a Nice One. He was arrested and goes on trial this week; Bloomberg’s David Voreacos and Chris Dolmetsch report:

A jailed trader accused of stealing $110 million on the Mango Markets exchange faces a criminal trial this week that will test the reach of a US crackdown on cryptocurrencies.

Prosecutors charged Avraham Eisenberg with manipulating Mango Markets futures contracts on Oct. 11, 2022, to boost the price of swaps by 1,300% in 20 minutes. He then “borrowed” from the exchange against the inflated value of those contracts, a move the government claims was a theft. …

Eisenberg, a self-described “applied game theorist,” claims his actions weren’t theft at all. Rather, he says, he legally exploited a weakness in the decentralized finance application. The trial will apparently be the first time a US criminal jury will weigh what type of “DeFi” transactions are legal.

In the crypto world, where digital blockchains govern who owns what, the virtual ecosystem is built around the notion that “code is law.” It means that if something isn’t explicitly forbidden by terms of a crypto platform, then government can’t intercede. But prosecutors say those rules can’t protect traders against possible criminal charges for market manipulation or fraud.

“It touches on the big argument within crypto — is code law?” said Chris Janczewski, head of global investigations at TRM Labs. “If the code allows somebody to do that, does the actual law? Obviously, the government took a different approach that code is not law. Just because there is an opportunity to exploit it does not mean that it’s legal.”

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Zero One posted:

Code is law. No manipulation.

quote:

Just because there is an opportunity to exploit it does not mean that it’s legal.”
I wish the government would take this tack with corporations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you just declare something is law nothing you do can be a crime.

Physics is law. Nothing physical stopped me from clearing out that bank vault.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

If you just declare something is law nothing you do can be a crime.

Physics is law. Nothing physical stopped me from clearing out that bank vault.

The law has no spirit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Time_pants posted:

I wish the government would take this tack with corporations.

That's different, corporations get to write the laws

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
This trial wouldn't be happening if they would just put law on the blockchain already!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

dr_rat posted:

the blockchain

Is there only one blockchain? I always assumed there were lots of blockchains since it's just a ledger with cryptographic signatures, but maybe there's just one?

I wanna get in on the dark blockchain, or create it if it doesn't exist yet.

I assume this is something that I could figure out the answer to if I gave it 5 minutes of thought.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cruft posted:

Is there only one blockchain? I always assumed there were lots of blockchains since it's just a ledger with cryptographic signatures, but maybe there's just one?

I assume this is something that I could figure out the answer to if I gave it 5 minutes of thought.

This question gets... weird and a bit complicated. There's multiple blockchains for many different types of coins, but my understanding is that some coins are like... "subcoins"? Like some coins are just on the ETH chain or whatever. But yeah, there's not even one BITCOIN blockchain, due to some internal strife.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

swamp thong posted:

the buttcoin is capable of receiving enormous amounts of power

You've got it backwards. You see, the buttcoin is actually generating the power by doing most of the work.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Now I'm confused. I was told that power is stored in the butts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

cruft posted:

Its a fancy word for 'database' or 'list'.
Which have existed since forever.
And as its just another name for one, there are thousands.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Surprised there's no CourtCoin yet, a decentralized way to run court trials. Both parties submit their evidence to the blockchain, and then the collective of miners decides the outcome.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rad Russian posted:

Surprised there's no CourtCoin yet, a decentralized way to run court trials. Both parties submit their evidence to the blockchain, and then the collective of miners decides the outcome.

You haven't seen CourtCoin yet because what you are describing is the Ethereum blockchain itself.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cruft posted:

There is one blockchain containing the infinite multitudes of the infinite blockchains. Some say we are all just a blockchain simulation.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

happyhippy posted:

Its a fancy word for 'database' or 'list'.
Which have existed since forever.
And as its just another name for one, there are thousands.

Blockchain is a flat file linked list as far as I know but definitely not a database. It’s technology from the 1970s.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is data and it is based.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The singular of Data is Datum. I just love to state that fact.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

tango alpha delta posted:

Blockchain is a flat file linked list as far as I know but definitely not a database. It’s technology from the 1970s.

Technically, I believe it's a doublely-linked list.

I can't find any proof of doubly-linked lists, but singly-linked lists are from the 50s, and they're probably honestly even before that, or at least functionally similar ancestors are.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
blockchain is a type of small hat

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
blockchain is a series of tubes

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Torn on this Mango guy. On the one hand I want him to get away with ripping off a crypto exchange, but on the other hand I want more jurisprudence in support of crypto bullshit being regulated. Tough choice.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Lammasu posted:

The singular of Data is Datum. I just love to state that fact.

I like the fact that half of a byte is called a nibble. it's whimsical to me.

e: yes I've programmed MOS, Motorola and Intel architecture in Assembly Language. How can you tell?

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 11, 2024

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Ariong posted:

Torn on this Mango guy. On the one hand I want him to get away with ripping off a crypto exchange, but on the other hand I want more jurisprudence in support of crypto bullshit being regulated. Tough choice.

If it starts to be regulated it’s just going to hang around for longer, if the scams are allowed to continue it’s going to crash and burn pretty quickly I think

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Blockchain is a list where they went
ADD = TRUE
EDIT = FALSE

And the rest is increasingly stupid history.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

tango alpha delta posted:

I like the fact that half of a byte is called a nibble. it's whimsical to me.

Sort of a shame it’s not a nybble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Scratch Monkey posted:

Sort of a shame it’s not a nybble

It is, at least according to the Jargon File.

https://www.catb.org/jargon/html/N/nybble.html