Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The end of that Joker trailer with lipstick on the glass was cinematic. Still not watching it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm pleasantly surprised by the super hero indifference of the posters. Maybe it is really happening, maybe it really will die

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

From the people who brought you smiling friends and psycho goreman is not a bad pitch as far as it goes. Only problem is the first one is sitting out there for everyone to see proving the idea is awful.

Anyway, finally a comic book film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy8aJw1vYHo

I think this looks awesome.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

No Mods No Masters posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised by the super hero indifference of the posters. Maybe it is really happening, maybe it really will die

i on the other hand am disappointed and slightly baffled with how many more chances posters are giving all these poo poo franchises. maybe its just me but i get burned once and im out, if something isnt good i dont watch the next one hoping itll be better and so far it has served me well

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
That's how I felt about the Suicide Squad movies

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That trailer looks interesting, movie could be neat.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Cubone posted:

*googling*

Don't do this! The internet taught me wrong as a joke.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Kingo Ligma posted:

Don't do this! The internet taught me wrong as a joke.

Just find yourself a partner who also was taught by the Internet, trust me it's great.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

doesn't look very grounded in reality, and I've seen characters far more dynamic than harley quinn

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dreezy posted:

watch enough jimmy stewart movies and the voice loops around to being endearing. fun impression to do. in the words of rich evans, "every time a bell rings, satan gets a boner!"

Related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVJB2zyrDCU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

kalel posted:

went to the alamo for my first viewing of rear window (1954 dir. alfred hitchcock)

I've never seen a film prominently featuring james stewart. and his voice... I mean, it's just really drat annoying. not just his accent but the sound of his voice. anyone else vibe with that? it sounds like the man's trying to talk while chewing on a napkin.

anyway I thought the film was going to be more philosophical with the way it starts but I guess hitchcock is less overt with that kind of thing. it turned out to be simple and satisfying.

I liked Rear Window a lot. No huge twists, but still really engaging. The nurse character was funny.
Stewart's voice is something I've heard since childhood, in particular It's a Wonderful Life, so I never thought of it as strange. Next Christmas you really need to watch It's a Wonderful Life.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I never found Jimmy Stewart's voice weird. Watched alot of Jimmy Stewart movies except It's A Wonderful Life. I kind of know what's going on in this movie, it's just this premise does not interest me whatsoever. Maybe because my upbringing has no intersection with Christianity.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
Zack Snyder wants a chance to "fix" Sucker Punch.

"It never really got finished correctly i have the footage already shot: they just have to let me put it together."

lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Listened to the audiobook of the first "Master and Commander" and it's quite good once you get past the first 3 hours, which are entirely about the various kinds of ropes and masts and how many barrels of salt a ship needs.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

PostNouveau posted:

Listened to the audiobook of the first "Master and Commander" and it's quite good once you get past the first 3 hours, which are entirely about the various kinds of ropes and masts and how many barrels of salt a ship needs.

How many barrels is it

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
saw the joker 2 trailer and i'm thinking, is it just going to be him in prison the whole time daydreaming of him and harley being a famous couple and then at the end maybe he/she kills somebody?

the whole thing seems like such a bad idea (other than money) in general i'm gonna end up watching it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I never found Jimmy Stewart's voice weird. Watched alot of Jimmy Stewart movies except It's A Wonderful Life. I kind of know what's going on in this movie, it's just this premise does not interest me whatsoever. Maybe because my upbringing has no intersection with Christianity.

You should watch it, as long as you have any tolerance whatsoever for old B&W movies it's a great one with some powerhouse dramatic performances. The broad outline of the story has been imitated plenty, but Stewart really goes all-in on the full dramatic weight of actually wishing he had never been born, in a way that still always surprises me. It has a level of maturity and integrity that contrasts the wholesome veneer of the era.

As far as religious stuff, it's marginally more specific than A Christmas Carol but otherwise still very much in the realm of folk religion.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

PostNouveau posted:

actually they're about stephen being a sad sack and jack cuckolding his superior officer

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Cassian of Imola posted:

"It never really got finished correctly i have the footage already shot: they just have to let me put it together."

lmao

can you tell zack I said "shut up dumbass"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like in a wonderful life where it's like
Jimmy: What about my brother!?
Angel: Your brother died in that lake because you weren't there to save him
Jimmy: No! He was an American hero and saved a carrier in world war 2!
Angel: All those men died
Jimmy: Oh God! My wife! What's happened to my wife!
Angel: Oh you don't want to know.
Jimmy: Tell me! I demand it!
Angel: Hers is the worst fate of all. She's unmarried and has a job and takes care of herself.
Jimmy: Oh God no! No! Say it isn't so!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sir Lemming posted:

You should watch it, as long as you have any tolerance whatsoever for old B&W movies it's a great one with some powerhouse dramatic performances. The broad outline of the story has been imitated plenty, but Stewart really goes all-in on the full dramatic weight of actually wishing he had never been born, in a way that still always surprises me. It has a level of maturity and integrity that contrasts the wholesome veneer of the era.

As far as religious stuff, it's marginally more specific than A Christmas Carol but otherwise still very much in the realm of folk religion.

Yeah, it's a legitimately great movie. It's a dark tale where a dude loses everything and tries to kill himself. A fun holiday film for all ages!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's got some great "gently caress capitalist greed" vibes, enough that I would think they both did the more patriotic Mr Smith to make sure they wouldn't be labeled commies

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Cassian of Imola posted:

lmao

Uggghhhhhhhhhhhh

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sunk Dunk posted:

How many barrels is it

Depends on the mission but if your captain is an adrenaline junkie who needs his fix and his prize money right loving now, not as many as you'd like.

Cassian of Imola posted:

actually they're about stephen being a sad sack and jack cuckolding his superior officer

Yeah that ruled. Get the biggest success of your career and immediately go into port and gently caress your boss's wife.

The author needs Jack to be a self-destructive drunken whore so he can do insaney cool poo poo but never be promoted far enough to get taken out of command.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
just let the missenmasts and taffrails flow over you eventually it all makes perfect sense

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

These crazy executives keep forcing me to take the good parts out of my movies

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

just let the missenmasts and taffrails flow over you eventually it all makes perfect sense

Yeah, it's not really all that important to understand what's going on. It may as well be Star Trek :techno: for all it matters. "Oh no, the French frigate is gaining on us without their studding sails set." OK, I gotcha.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's not really all that important to understand what's going on. It may as well be Star Trek :techno: for all it matters. "Oh no, the French frigate is gaining on us without their studding sails set." OK, I gotcha.

the sci-fi/fantasy tbb thread constantly recommends it because of that lol. also because the best spaceship battles are all just stolen from the master and commander books

gently caress why can't we have that photoshopped master and commander movie verse, there's so much great Tactics and heartwarming buddy scenes

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It's got some great "gently caress capitalist greed" vibes, enough that I would think they both did the more patriotic Mr Smith to make sure they wouldn't be labeled commies

It was in fact on some sort of McCarthy era blacklist (though never actually banned) due to the villain being a banker who was never explicitly declared to be "a bad apple" or some such, while also skirting the Hays Code by realistically never having him face justice. (Which of course makes the message of the movie stronger, for people who understand subtext.)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
To me Zack Snyder will always be the insufferable hack who really wanted to make a movie adaptation of The Fountainhead and is grumpy that 'audiences aren't ready' for such a cinematic powerhouse. Yet somehow people still have respect for him.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

the sci-fi/fantasy tbb thread constantly recommends it because of that lol. also because the best spaceship battles are all just stolen from the master and commander books

gently caress why can't we have that photoshopped master and commander movie verse, there's so much great Tactics and heartwarming buddy scenes

Yeah, there are 20 books, and the first one was mostly episodic exploits. You could mine that poo poo for years if the other 19 books are also episodic.

Apparently, the capture of the Spanish frigate in the first one is just straight-up some real poo poo that actually happened with the names changed, down to the ship's doctor being the only man left on the brig to steer it during the boarding. 50 dudes with 14 guns took control of a ship with 320 dudes and 32 guns.

The attack on the Spanish artillery fort also rules. And the two battles at Gibraltar, which are hampered a bit by the main character being a prisoner of the French and just watching them from afar but still generally whip.

I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I don't remember how much of this stuff from the first book is in it except for the lanterns on a raft trick.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 10, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I was browsing upcoming film screenings, and my favorite theater is bringing Feeders through in June, complete with a Q&A with the surviving Polonia brother. Dare I?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Crescent Wrench posted:

I was browsing upcoming film screenings, and my favorite theater is bringing Feeders through in June, complete with a Q&A with the surviving Polonia brother. Dare I?

ask him how he feels about derailing best of the worst for years because jay had the temerity to pick it as his choice once

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Frankly my dear I don’t give a drat

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ask the big question that’s been on everyone’s minds.

Are they both alive and they just take turns being the “surviving” brother while the other one gets to take a break from his immense fame for a bit?

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Feeders 2 was the absolute worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. Go for it!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I didn’t see It’s a Wonderful Life until well into adulthood and I’m not ashamed to say I cried a little at the end.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The scene that gets me is where there's a run on the banks and he convinces the crowd to calm down and just take a little and look out for each other

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PostNouveau posted:

Look, say what you will about hard-tack, but I will not stand by and let you insult salt-horse and the finest manilla cordage.

Next you'll be saying the cutting out of the Dianne wasn't the sweetest bit of seamanship ever seen, and I won't stand for it. drat your eyes sir, drat YOUR EYES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Y’all! It’s T-minus three minutes until the new Spitballs premiers!

Spitballs!!!!!!