Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It's been a while but I think Pushing Daisies looked really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly this was the exact shot I was thinking of when I put it in my post

Lol it's scary sometimes how much ppl are alike here

E: oh just thought of Peggy Don and Pete sitting in the burger joint.

Oh and the repeating motif of Don/Pete checking in on their kid/s

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr. Robot was already mentioned, but that show blew me away with how good it looked. Barry and Atlanta also look great. It doesn't get a lot of love around here, and even I fell off it when they got to America, but Outlander (at least the early seasons set in Scotland that I watched) looked gorgeous. Though shooting in the Highlands of Scotland is kind of a cheat code for looking good.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2024

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TuxedoOrca posted:

Perhaps all this prestige TV media is chasing to recreate the impact of the twist of Life On Mars back in the late 2000s.

The American one not the actually good original? My commiserations for having watched that if so.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

feedmegin posted:

The American one not the actually good original? My commiserations for having watched that if so.

I haven't watched the american one, only the british one. But I have heard of the twist in that one.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Telemarketeres on HBO. It was interesting. But one thing, they make a big deal out of the fact that the telemarketing companies don't do background checks. Which is kinda funny to me coming from a country where background checks are illegal except for very specific jobs.
I had to take one because I worked with kids and even then they could only check for crimes related to children.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Watched Telemarketeres on HBO. It was interesting. But one thing, they make a big deal out of the fact that the telemarketing companies don't do background checks. Which is kinda funny to me coming from a country where background checks are illegal except for very specific jobs.
I had to take one because I worked with kids and even then they could only check for crimes related to children.

In the US the only thing that an employer can't make you submit to doing for an interview is get strapped up for a lie detection test, and there's an exception for jobs dealing with national security.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alhazred posted:

Labor protection law in the US is for protecting capital's right to labor, common misunderstanding.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1778047196866158674

quote:

But if it’s one thing to work as a TV show, it’s another to work as a good TV show, and this standard proves tougher for Fallout to attain. It has some fun components, and the great Walton Goggins (Justified, The Righteous Gemstones) delivers as usual in a dual-ish role. But a lot of it feels like it’s trying way too hard to grab your attention, all while so many of its ideas are recycled not from video games, but from other, more interesting post-apocalyptic movies and TV shows.

And speaking of that clash of worldviews, find someone who loves you like this show loves to ironically juxtapose scenes of despair or stylized, gory violence with upbeat or wistful Forties and Fifties pop songs. The premiere’s big action set piece plays out to the sounds of “Some Enchanted Evening,” while a later episode alone features Tennessee Ernie Ford’s “Sixteen Tons,” The Platters’ “Only You,” and Dinah Washington’s “What A Diff’rence A Day Makes” — all great songs, but ones that are probably due for retirement from all soundtracks, and particularly from this type of usage. The songs, and many of the performances, signal that the series is meant to be a satiric adventure. More often than not, though, it’s as if the creative team was able to settle on a comedic tone without coming up with nearly enough jokes to match.
So, in other words, they nailed the vibe of the games.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
As a follow up from news at the beginning of the year, Black Sails has *finally* had a date identified for its arrival on Netflix. It will hit April 17th in the US. If you've never seen it before, it's definitely worth a watch. A complete story told across four seasons in 38 episodes.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 10, 2024

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/sepinwall/status/1778047196866158674

So, in other words, they nailed the vibe of the games.

Yeah that sounds pretty much exactly like what I expected and wanted from a Fallout show. Walton Goggins and a proper soundtrack? Done, say no more, I’m in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Beacon 23 continues to be deeply weird, and to make wild narrative choices. Frequently strange and inadequate ones that it doesn't quite have the skill to pull off, but I can't help but respect them anyway. I can't think of another show that's permanently killed all but one of their cast off halfway through a show. The poo poo usually happens at the start or end.

So, kudos, you insane weirdo. You completely failed to make me feel anything but the black comedy of the situation, but thank you for taking your gimmick to its logical conclusion.

Teek posted:

As a follow up from news at the beginning of the year, Black Sails has *finally* had a date identified for its arrival on Netflix. It will hit April 17th in the US. If you've never seen it before, it's definitely worth a watch. A complete story told across four seasons in 38 episodes.

Black Sails is pretty good, but the first season makes some wildly bad choices and feels like it lacks a third act.

The other three seasons are excellent, mostly*, and the show sports some of the best action scenes put to TV. Easily up there with Banshee and what have you

*Starz was apparently very unhappy with a certain romantic subplot, which accounts for it being suddenly airlifted out of the show.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Open Source Idiom posted:

Beacon 23 continues to be deeply weird, and to make wild narrative choices. Frequently strange and inadequate ones that it doesn't quite have the skill to pull off, but I can't help but respect them anyway. I can't think of another show that's permanently killed all but one of their cast off halfway through a show. The poo poo usually happens at the start or end.

So, kudos, you insane weirdo. You completely failed to make me feel anything but the black comedy of the situation, but thank you for taking your gimmick to its logical conclusion.

Is she actually gone from the show? I just naturally assumed she will be back alive via the artifact at some point.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Is she actually gone from the show? I just naturally assumed she will be back alive via the artifact at some point.

Perhaps, but she's been demoted from regular to guest star with this episode. I figured it was pretty final, barring a force ghost appearance at some point.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I agree 100%. Seems final to me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Tbh I was more saddened by the loss of Harmony, the AI helper. I thought there was more there to her narrative, where as Esther's story felt wrapped up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

a proper soundtrack?

But what about the Congo? How will we know if people want to leave it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Azhais posted:

But what about the Congo? How will we know if people want to leave it?

Somehow I doubt the soundtrack will include the racist song

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

First episode of Fallout was alright. Shouted "WHAT THE gently caress" at Matt Berry in the "This Season On" promo at the end, though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Black Sails is pretty good, but the first season makes some wildly bad choices and feels like it lacks a third act.

The other three seasons are excellent, mostly*, and the show sports some of the best action scenes put to TV. Easily up there with Banshee and what have you

I'd add that if you're not feeling the first few episodes of the first season, and are thinking things like "I wish Max was given less gross plots/they'd wrap this up already" or "I want to hang out with the other pirates they seem cooler" then don't worry it drifts into being more of an ensemble show later on and they handle a lot of stuff better than you'd expect.

It's a cool show and there's so little good pirate stuff out there.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'd add that if you're not feeling the first few episodes of the first season, and are thinking things like "I wish Max was given less gross plots/they'd wrap this up already" or "I want to hang out with the other pirates they seem cooler" then don't worry it drifts into being more of an ensemble show later on and they handle a lot of stuff better than you'd expect.

It's a cool show and there's so little good pirate stuff out there.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking about when I alluded to "wildly bad choices". That and Vane's subplot, though for different reasons.

The character ends up going in really interesting directions. I think one of the best things about the later seasons is how unexpected some of the developments are, but also how natural and inevitable they feel. (big spoilers) The end to Elena's arc was absolutely vicious and shocking but feels like a brutal inevitability given her persistence in carving out a pirate utopia despite the overwhelming odds against her, both in terms of power and gender, and the gradual but systemic failure of every single one of her allies. The actress absolutely nails that sequence and goes out on a massive high despite the character going out on a big loving L.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I really enjoyed the first episode of Fallout. They really nailed the vibe of the games, it looks great so far and I'm really happy it turned out the way I hoped it would.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did they drop the whole series or just the first episode?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Final trailer for the final season of EVIL. This show has always been fun but it looks like they're really cranking it up for the last dance. I'm gonna miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AV2l9g9rL8

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

zoux posted:

Did they drop the whole series or just the first episode?

All 8 episodes are streaming... NOW!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

isaboo posted:

Final trailer for the final season of EVIL. This show has always been fun but it looks like they're really cranking it up for the last dance. I'm gonna miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AV2l9g9rL8

It's a funny one -- this is actually the second last and last season, airing together. They wrote a ten episode season four, broke partway through the finale for slightly complicated strike reasons, and then the back to finish the season, and then film an additional four episodes which are, essentially, the fifth season.

Which is awesome and exciting, obviously.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is OJ dying TV related? I think so, especially if you ever turned on a set between 1992 and 1995

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I can't believe the real killer got him too :(

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Goodbye murder person

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zoux posted:

Is OJ dying TV related? I think so, especially if you ever turned on a set between 1992 and 1995
The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726Ujz_KOHE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rageaholic posted:

The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story ruled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=726Ujz_KOHE

One of my favorite shows ever, in part for making Sterling K. Brown a breakout star

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The 30 for 30 doc that is just news footage from the day of the bronco chase is really good, it's called June 17th, 1994.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s hard to say which is worse the murders or giving us the Kardashians.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember them interrupting the NBA finals for continuous coverage of that chase, which was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MarcusSA posted:

It’s hard to say which is worse the murders or giving us the Kardashians.

I think it's the hypocrisy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arist posted:

One of my favorite shows ever, in part for making Sterling K. Brown a breakout star

I'm pretty sure This Is Us did that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I for sure saw his best acting work, The Naked Gun movies, on tv. Much better than his acting on trial.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Timby posted:

He got his first Emmy for ACS, I'm counting it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Supernatural, clearly.

Adbot