Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

Is there any reason why they're shipping 70 year old airframes by ludicrously expensive air freight instead of by boat

it's the marine corps flying poo poo, they probably need the hours or something. it's not commercial air freight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Hadlock posted:

Is there any reason why they're shipping 70 year old airframes by ludicrously expensive air freight instead of by boat

Land-locked country Switzerland, noted for having many convenient seaports.

meltie posted:

Is it particularly glib to think that perhaps they could have been flown over under their own power? Would have been a fun hop over the pond.

It's possible, but flying a short-legged aircraft without aerial refueling capability across the Atlantic is a pretty miserable and risk-fraught process.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Ferrying any fighter jet across an ocean sounds like an exercise of amphetamines and piss bags.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Full Collapse posted:

Ferrying any fighter jet across an ocean sounds like an exercise of amphetamines and piss bags.

BAU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Full Collapse posted:

Ferrying A-10s across the ocean is not fun, I hear.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hadlock posted:

Because the maritime environment is corrosive hell enough and risky enough that the cost is worth it would be my guess.

I’m kinda surprised they weren’t brought under their own power but I’m sure there are reasons why.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Full Collapse posted:

They tend to just use modafinil now after it amphetamines were blamed for making F-16 pilots bomb Canadian soldiers.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

The fighter guys i've talked to about that make it sound pretty miserable. You're chasing a tanker or multiple tankers across endless ocean with no way of standing up to take a piss for many hours. God help you if you gotta go #2. One guy flew from the west coast to guam and had to be helped out of the jet because his whole lower body went numb.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The visual image that comes to mind is a road trip from Dallas to Los Angeles. Flat straight endless nothing for 2000+ miles

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

The visual image that comes to mind is a road trip from Dallas to Los Angeles. Flat straight endless nothing for 2000+ miles

That drive isn't flat at all, it kind of owns as you pass through and by all sorts of mountains, dunes, etc. Better if you end at San Diego than LA, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

The fighter guys i've talked to about that make it sound pretty miserable. You're chasing a tanker or multiple tankers across endless ocean with no way of standing up to take a piss for many hours. God help you if you gotta go #2. One guy flew from the west coast to guam and had to be helped out of the jet because his whole lower body went numb.

The disconnect between “coolness” and “quality of life” seems insane for tactical aircraft. They don’t get all that many flight hours either. Meanwhile a P-8 or KC-46 pilot not only have a lavatory and galley but they get an ATPL, type rating and hours to walk right onto the line at an airline.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

That drive isn't flat at all, it kind of owns as you pass through and by all sorts of mountains, dunes, etc. Better if you end at San Diego than LA, though.

Seriously New Mexico and Arizona are gorgeous.

West texas… let’s say it wears out it’s welcome.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

hobbesmaster posted:

The disconnect between “coolness” and “quality of life” seems insane for tactical aircraft. They don’t get all that many flight hours either. Meanwhile a P-8 or KC-46 pilot not only have a lavatory and galley but they get an ATPL, type rating and hours to walk right onto the line at an airline.

Yeah, but Kelly McGillis isn't playing beach volleyball with the P-8 crew.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Hadlock posted:

It's probably easier bureaucratically to find money for flight hours on government owned aircraft than contract with a shipping company to move them

Planes are expensive and not that heavy so it's not a completely unreasonable thing though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

All I remember is doing 80mph in a Uhaul coming in to Albuquerque thinking my eyeballs were going to bleed

The area in... Arizona where you cross the Continental divide at like, 7000 ft is pretty cool

It's still very flat and long

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mlmp08 posted:

Ferrying A-10s across the ocean is not fun, I hear.

Crossing the Atlantic at 50mph must be rough.,

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I once did the drive from Ontario (leaving from Muskoka basically) to Western Canada, and let me tell you, it is very demoralizing to drive for 12 hours and still be in Ontario.

E: North around Superior is a cool rear end drive though.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

All I remember is doing 80mph in a Uhaul ... thinking my eyeballs were going to bleed

That's just the Uhaul vibration experience

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hadlock posted:

All I remember is doing 80mph in a Uhaul coming in to Albuquerque thinking my eyeballs were going to bleed

The area in... Arizona where you cross the Continental divide at like, 7000 ft is pretty cool

Thats in New Mexico bruv. You want desolate and featureless? drive between Las Vegas and Reno. It makes western Kansas look like Machu Pichu.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mlmp08 posted:

Better if you end at San Diego than LA, though.

This statement is true of any travel route.

Arson Daily posted:

You want desolate and featureless? drive between Las Vegas and Reno. It makes western Kansas look like Machu Pichu.

I've done both and this isn't true at all.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

What is it, I-93 in Nevada that runs north/south up from Vegas? The limiting factor for seeing is the curvature of the earth.

Also where I learned that Nevada Highway Patrol has forward-facing radar in their cars.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

it's US-95. i drove it once while i'd been out of antidepressants for a few weeks. its stark and beautiful in its own way but the monotony only being broken up by the occasional burnt-out shack that made me contemplate impermanence and death was a lot and it needled my chronic depression in exactly the wrong way. i cried at least once. do not drive us-95 while off your meds

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Thats in New Mexico bruv.

It was like 8 years ago, and it was day 2 or 3 it's all a blur

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Hitman contractors when they hear about another Boeing whistleblower.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/09/business/boeing-787-whistleblower/index.html

quote:

Federal authorities say they’re investigating Boeing after a whistleblower repeatedly raised concerns with two widebody jet models, and claimed the company retaliated against him.

Whistleblower Sam Salehpour, a Boeing engineer, alleges that Boeing took shortcuts when manufacturing its 777 and 787 Dreamliner jets, and that the risks could become catastrophic as the airplanes age. The New York Times was first to report the whistleblower complaint.

quote:

Salehpour’s complaint alleges crews assembling the plane failed to properly fill tiny gaps when joining separately manufactured parts of the fuselage. That puts more wear on the plane, shortening its lifespan and risking “catastrophic” failure, Salehpour’s attorneys alleged.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I once did the drive from Ontario (leaving from Muskoka basically) to Western Canada, and let me tell you, it is very demoralizing to drive for 12 hours and still be in Ontario.

E: North around Superior is a cool rear end drive though.

North > South

i just imagine the delivery pilots putting their phone braced between instruments and glass and watching movies the whole way.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cactus Ghost posted:

it's US-95. i drove it once while i'd been out of antidepressants for a few weeks. its stark and beautiful in its own way but the monotony only being broken up by the occasional burnt-out shack that made me contemplate impermanence and death was a lot and it needled my chronic depression in exactly the wrong way. i cried at least once. do not drive us-95 while off your meds

95 runs the western edge of Nevada between Reno and Vegas. It's beautiful, with mountains all along the way, historic towns like Goldfield, Tonopah, etc. to visit, and the absolute beauty of the desert. I usually fly between Vegas and Reno, but I do the drive at least a few times a year.

93 runs the center of the state between Vegas up towards Elko. A different kind of beauty from 95, a little more "old west" feeling.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022
The road from Vegas to Reno is a loving wasteland dotted with depressing shithole towns with 25mph speed limits

Wtf are you people talking about “stark beauty”

gently caress man there’s not even trees on the loving mountains. It’s a wasteland.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Spoken like an offworlder.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Scrungus posted:

Wtf are you people talking about “stark beauty”

gently caress man there’s not even trees on the loving mountains. It’s a wasteland.

Me, trying to explain to people that Iceland is just a wasteland, and they've bought into their marketing hook line and sinker

gently caress Iceland, and especially gently caress their wildly successful tourism board marketing department

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

On I-10 in west Texas there was a picture of a grasshopper and then *splat* 80 miles of bug goo all over the windows.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Many people I know will dip down to the us and go south because it's cheaper with a real highway system.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Zero One posted:

Hitman contractors when they hear about another Boeing whistleblower.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/09/business/boeing-787-whistleblower/index.html

My favorite part is the claimed retaliation against him for whistleblowing the 787 was to move him off and over to the 777 where he found additional covered up failures.

quote:

Salehpour said Boeing retaliated against him after he raised another concern about the 787 and a different plane model.

The whistleblower complaint said he pointed out to management the existence of drilling issues with the 787, and was then “ignored and ultimately transferred out of the 787 program to the 777 program.”

In his new role, Salehpour said he discovered subpar work with aligning body pieces, and pressure on engineers to green-light work they have not yet inspected.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hadlock posted:

Eventually I want to cross the Continental Divide through the Eisenhower-Johnson Tunnel at ~11000 feet.

I also want to drive cross-country. Once. In a rental. Then fly back. But companies that are cool about one-way rentals are becoming more few and far between.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've driven from NYC to Seattle twice: once in a U-Haul, and once in a Subaru with two cats, towing a trailer. I took the U-Haul through North Dakota, and the Subaru through South Dakota. It's a good thing I like audiobooks.

The first time, I took Amtrak back. That was a great experience. The second time I just didn't return (also a great experience).

Hertz and the other big companies are pretty good about one way rentals. You'll pay a premium for it though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I've, I guess technically driven across America, in two stages; Havelock NC to m Dallas, and then years later Dallas to San Francisco

I did the first leg in about 28 hours, the second leg was more like 3 days, and exceedingly boring. NC to Dallas I took a 3 hour detour to drive "tail of the dragon" which is succinctly summed up as "famous for its 318 curves in 11 miles"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina

Getting ready to do NC to New Orleans in a '55 Citroen here in the next month or two. All rural highways no interstate (max speed is about 50mph)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997511

Was going to go over Easter but something came up

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Cactus Ghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LtiHla1dNg
//
Iceland is beautiful and I'm not just saying that because the tourism board has paid me to. (I was literally paid to promote this idea.)
//
Armchair analysts love to wellactchually military actions and movements overseas as not efficient or whatever but you must keep in mind that you don't know poo poo about fleet management, and also every military action is subject to override by the political level; we literally flew MRAPs into Iraq by cargo plane even though it got fewer of them there per 30 days than putting them on a supercargo would because of the political risk of not 'protecting the troops'.
//
Don't ever spend your career flying an aircraft without a lavatory. Your bathroom needs after age 40 will be different. Think ahead, dipshit.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Don't ever spend your career flying an aircraft without a lavatory. Your bathroom needs after age 40 will be different. Think ahead, dipshit.

I'll never fly an airplane without a lav or an APU again. Im far to bougie and old to deal without them

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hadlock posted:

Me, trying to explain to people that Iceland is just a wasteland, and they've bought into their marketing hook line and sinker

gently caress Iceland, and especially gently caress their wildly successful tourism board marketing department

Oh, it's the type of person that describes the Grand Canyon as "mid".

Safety Dance posted:

I've driven from NYC to Seattle twice: once in a U-Haul, and once in a Subaru with two cats, towing a trailer. I took the U-Haul through North Dakota, and the Subaru through South Dakota. It's a good thing I like audiobooks.

The first time, I took Amtrak back. That was a great experience. The second time I just didn't return (also a great experience).

Hertz and the other big companies are pretty good about one way rentals. You'll pay a premium for it though.

I did Maine to Seattle via SC and CA by motorcycle, it was really cool, Texas was kinda boring, but very chill dodging cities and highways, just miles and miles of farmland. NM and Eastern AZ were very beautiful, plus the Very Large Areay is there.

Descending from the mountains into Phoenix and I-10 was like literally descending into hell, gently caress that.

NM:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

No the Grand canyon is glorious

Grand canyon also has trees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Driving on New Mexico highways: pretty, peaceful, oddly courteous and alert drivers.

Hit border to Colorado: the map spawns in towed campers and RVs, average driver's brain turns to anger and porridge, but it's still pretty.