Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Duck and Cover posted:

Is clam chowder a chili?

It's a Chlammi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

Is clam chowder a chili?

You eat oyster crackers with Skyline Chili which has no beans on top of a dish of spaghetti.

ohh yeeaah

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Clam chowder is a cereal.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Imagine trying to conclude a derail by shifting the conversation to bikes vs. cars.
Cyclist and pedestrian deaths have gotten way the gently caress worse, so it qualifies for this thread.

Smart phones are bad.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 10, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
also that the odds of getting instakilled from pancaking into a truck grill thats at face heigh are much higher these days days

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m getting windows 11 today :negative:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

But why.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I swear I just saw someone hit with one of those webpages that takes over your computer telling you to
:siren: call this number to fix the bad problem give us your credit card info :siren:

the person had clicked the top search result (ad) using a google search for "amazon prime" lol

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'd blame city infrastructure more so. Cars and bikes should never share the road. Bikes should be on a raised path next to the pedestrian path. People who are waiting for a bike going 15mph in a 40mph will eventually force their way through as their patience runs out. Putting a slow moving person on a thin frame next to a bunch of death machines is stupid. As a car driver I will even say it's 80% the fault of the person driving the car. But good god .stop biking up hill you slow gently caress I need to take a dump already and you're going a third the speed limit. No don't slow down to coast with your feet off the pedals. loving fuckity gently caress

Oh and I keep my condiments in the fridge.

Houle fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 10, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

thathonkey posted:

also that the odds of getting instakilled from pancaking into a truck grill thats at face heigh are much higher these days days

Any time I see someone driving a late model truck (all the loving time 24/7) I automatically assume they are terrible rear end in a top hat drivers who will try to kill me.
Can't keep their giant rear end vehicle in one lane when turning, can't stay out of the bike lane, can't see poo poo, look very loving surprised when they merge into you.
Truck = dickbag

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I primarily commute by bike and despite whatever the local laws are i well never ever ride on a road that has cars, even if it has a marked bike lane. I will always use the sidewalk, and if they're no sidewalk i dismount and walk in the grass. I always give pedestrians the right of way, pace myself behind walkers in spots where there isn't room to pass, and i wait at sidewalk crosswalks for the walk sign. I never go when cars wave me on, when they don't take the hint i stand up and gently caress around on my phone until they go, and the couple times I've had people beep at me to cross while they wave me to cross against my right of way i flip them off

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 10, 2024

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Houle posted:

But good god .stop biking up hill you slow gently caress I need to take a dump already and you're going a third the speed limit. No don't slow down to coast with your feet off the pedals. loving fuckity gently caress
:fuckoff:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

cat botherer posted:

Cyclist and pedestrian deaths have gotten way the gently caress worse, so it qualifies for this thread.

Smart phones are bad.

SUVs and Trucks are bad

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Anecdotal, but ever since covid I've noticed a huge amount of cars simply running stop signs, red lights, and just driving more reckless. Like all the road laws went out the door for some reason. I've heard it all from friends, my wife noticed it, and we've been seeing tbones and dead cyclists everywhere.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That started after covid

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Houle posted:

I'd blame city infrastructure more so. Cars and bikes should never share the road. Bikes should be on a raised path next to the pedestrian path. People who are waiting for a bike going 15mph in a 40mph will eventually force their way through as their patience runs out. Putting a slow moving person on a thin frame next to a bunch of death machines is stupid. As a car driver I will even say it's 80% the fault of the person driving the car. But good god .stop biking up hill you slow gently caress I need to take a dump already and you're going a third the speed limit. No don't slow down to coast with your feet off the pedals. loving fuckity gently caress

I don't know why it isn't more of a thing for Americans to openly bike with a gun. If car dicks had to expect the possibility of gun shots every time they try to intimidate a cyclist it would be a lot safer for bikes. I mean, yeah, an SUV can totally win a fight with a bike, but there is no way to know how many shots the cyclist will be able to give off in the driver's direction before they are under the wheels and dead. You see an SUV creeping up behind you on the bike lane, you put your hand on the gun and get ready to start blasting.

I mean, it's not really a solution for us Europeans here due to sane gun laws. We would have to actually get some decent bike infrastructure built to address the problems. But Americans have other options.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

GABA ghoul posted:

I don't know why it isn't more of a thing for Americans to openly bike with a gun. If car dicks had to expect the possibility of gun shots every time they try to intimidate a cyclist it would be a lot safer for bikes. I mean, yeah, an SUV can totally win a fight with a bike, but there is no way to know how many shots the cyclist will be able to give off in the driver's direction before they are under the wheels and dead. You see an SUV creeping up behind you on the bike lane, you put your hand on the gun and get ready to start blasting.

I mean, it's not really a solution for us Europeans here due to sane gun laws. We would have to actually get some decent bike infrastructure built to address the problems. But Americans have other options.
Some poster a while back said they used to bike down to the gun range, carrying their rifle on their back. Apparently the increased respect from drivers was very noticeable.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Guns are expensive and there's a whole chunk of society not legally allowed to buy a gun the normal way, think like a trucker who just caught a felony for drunken domestic violence. If they see a dweeb like me carrying heat openly, I'd eventually get run down so they could get a new toy for the cost of a car wash

E: lol at the exact opposite perspective, but it might also have to do with how rough your area already is

VVV: bikes are great toys and the improved cardio means everyone can plow everyone else's moms even better, won't someone think of the moms?

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 10, 2024

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Houle posted:

Bikes don't belong in the road with cars, they belong in the back yard with the other toys for children

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cerekk posted:

Bikes don't belong in the road with cars, they belong in the back yard with the other toys for children

:munch:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Philthy posted:

Anecdotal, but ever since covid I've noticed a huge amount of cars simply running stop signs, red lights, and just driving more reckless. Like all the road laws went out the door for some reason. I've heard it all from friends, my wife noticed it, and we've been seeing tbones and dead cyclists everywhere.

People are definitely still driving like nobody's on the roads.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
gonna have to say nope to the bike derail before the real psychos show up. they always do

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Philthy posted:

euphronius posted:

That started after covid

yeah, the covid times brought this on around here, also there are less police (none) pulling over people for speeding etc. and also more people/traffic moved into the area.

At this point, when the light turns green, I'm always double checking every intersection for red light runners.

I've seen people using the common turn lanes on two lane roads to pass their regular lane of traffic at lights or during normal slow traffic. It's one thing to use the turn lane a little early if you next left is where you are getting off but to drive down the turn lane fast for a mile just to get ahead of everyone else very dangerous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Philthy posted:

I think it's real. For another anecdotal example, I like to speed, but in a controlled manner that allows me to avoid tickets, so I use cruise control to speed. I used to set it on the highway for 6 MPH over the posted speed limit, so in Maine that would be 76MPH. And before Covid, I used to be one of the faster cars.

After Covid, going 76MPH is now on the slower side and I get passed all the time, so I've bumped it up to 78-79, and still get passed fairly regularly. People have DEFINITELY gotten faster after Covid. And that would then follow that all sorts of bad driving behaviors also got bumped up after the pandemic as well.

Part of me loves it, because the cops have lost control. Another part though recognizes the dangers.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Guns are expensive and there's a whole chunk of society not legally allowed to buy a gun the normal way, think like a trucker who just caught a felony for drunken domestic violence. If they see a dweeb like me carrying heat openly, I'd get run down so they could get a new toy for the cost of a car wash

E: lol at the exact opposite perspective, but it might also have to do with how rough your area already is

Hmmm, I see. And what about a grenade then? You pull the pin when you see an SUV coming and show them the armed grenade if they get too close

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Thing that got shittier: didn't normal Lays used to be regular sliced potato chips? I grabbed a bag for the first time in a while, and the texture was the same kind of compressed powder thing as pringles

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AARD VARKMAN posted:

gonna have to say nope to the bike derail before the real psychos show up. they always do

The drama quality on these forums has gotten shittier for no good reason

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I like the new "no phones while driving" law that is enforced at the same intensity as any other traffic law

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

I like the new "no phones while driving" law that is enforced at the same intensity as any other traffic law

Hard to enforce of course but I appreciate the laws because most people most of the time will respect it, which is better than no restrictions at all.

Of course, hard core idiots won't care, but at least you can spot them pretty easily.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Philthy posted:

Flashing red means green, right?

https://i.imgur.com/dHWNA33.mp4

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

redshirt posted:

Hard to enforce of course but I appreciate the laws because most people most of the time will respect it, which is better than no restrictions at all.
Oh man, not where I live.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Oh man, not where I live.

Where's that? Massachusetts passed a hands free law and I think most people respect it, a few idiots of course excepted.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The metro area I live in (which is very murder-y) has always been pretty lax with enforcing traffic violations, but it’s definitely gotten worse in the last 3 years. I see cars driving with 30-day tags that expired in 2022, or no license plates at all. The city has basically given up on trying to stop these gangs of 100+ motorcycles and ATVs that just cruise around town running lights and swerving around cars. There are entire areas I avoid driving in on weekend nights because crowds of cars will block off entire big intersections so they can do burnouts.

Part is probably post-covid mentality, but I know a lot is just that worsening crime means that cops won’t even get out of bed unless it’s a murder or something happening in a wealthy area.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It's also cops not actually enforcing traffic laws once the community has said they'll hold them accountable in even the most minor way for being shitheads and murderers.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

kdrudy posted:

It's also cops not actually enforcing traffic laws once the community has said they'll hold them accountable in even the most minor way for being shitheads and murderers.

I think it's also a lack of staffing following covid. My little Maryland college town now has absolutely zero traffic enforcement, which is nice for parking but loving terrible for driving.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Sentient Data posted:

Thing that got shittier: didn't normal Lays used to be regular sliced potato chips? I grabbed a bag for the first time in a while, and the texture was the same kind of compressed powder thing as pringles

Sometimes yeah. It's probably some additive.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

In the Greater Toronto Area people still use cellphones in our dreadful traffic (which then, in turn, just worsens the traffic) because
a) no cops enforce that poo poo on the highway (you pull someone over for cell phone violation, it'll create EVEN MORE TRAFFIC)
and b) the fines are easily payable and not really that bad for the rich folks who all live here

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Technically I think cellphone in hand is illegal in WA but its funny to ride a bus to downtown and just look down at all the cars around you and see 60+% of people in drivers seats of cars all tapping away.

Got rear ended a few months back at a super well known choke point on i5 just before the downtown exits and in the process of trying to exchange info, i watched 2 other people get rear ended at the same 100 yard stretch. Weather was perfectly clear and normal. Road was dry.

no one is paying attention to poo poo and being around cars in any capacity is an exercise in terror.

Also the guy who hit us had no insurance. So that's cool. If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage you are asking for misery.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 10, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Traffic fines need to scale with income. I think Sweden does that and they seem to be doing pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Sentient Data posted:

When I get these from a machine it’s because they are outdated.