Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
If people drive more, there's going to be the bigger parking lot and more space on the roads. If people walk more and ride their bikes more, [there will be] more bike racks because that's what the people want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

my bony fealty posted:

Can you finance a 6k bike at 17% APR for 72 months?

You could finance it at 0% for 15-18 months if you open a new credit card and use the intro APR rates!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

You could also probably get a bank or a credit union to do an unsecured personal loan at that amount and rate

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

zero knowledge posted:

you just settle into the cruising speed, zone out, and suddenly it's five hours later and you're 600 km down the road.

When faced with the agony and lethality of driving, the brain is wired to fire off a cocktail of neurotransmitters to simulate a train-like experience and ease your pain in what it assumes are your final moments.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Some amount of people probably do zone out but from my experience with real long haul driving (which is absolutely miserable) it’s more the experience of a prisoner, where each day absolutely drags but when you get to the end of the week and reflect back on the trip it flew by because there’s very little for the brain to latch onto

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I'm painfully aware of every single moment when I am driving to a faraway place and it sucks rear end, constant torment, music and podcasts and a passenger make it better but driving long distance will always be miserable.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yeah, every long-distance car trip I've taken sucks rear end. Exhausting if you're driving. Motion sickness if you're not.

I never get motion sick on a train and don't have to pay attention the whole time. It's great.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I was driving Baltimore-Pittsburgh every week for a while when I was 21 for work and I nearly got killed when a tractor trailer driver sideswiped me while trying to get to his exit. Not a fan of long distance driving since then

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I did seattle to everett commuting for like 4 years which is a reverse commute and should in theory be ~ less bad ~ but instead it was filled with so much insane poo poo that i was never able to achieve that zoneout thing people do. My first intro to the insane poo poo was a hay truck turning over. Then a hay truck leaning so far over i was pretty sure it was going to turn over. Then a carpet van's doors flew open and dumped carpet out . still amazed i stopped in time on that one. Saw a mattress fly off a truck. Common logging truck route so filled with final destination terrors. Traffic was randomly stop and go on the whole route. Just gobs of multi car accidents and car fires and truck fires. At least one fire a week generally somewhere along the driving route.

I wished so hard there were a bus or train that had been reasonably accessible but the only train that existed was only in standard commuting direction and the buses were between counties and just didnt really work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

zero knowledge posted:

i don't drive [signaling virtue] but friends who do tell me that the weird thing about long distance driving is that once you do it enough, you lose track of the hours. like you'll get in the car, and then getting to the freeway is fiddly and requires paying attention, but once you're on the big road, you just settle into the cruising speed, zone out, and suddenly it's five hours later and you're 600 km down the road.

_that_ freaks me the gently caress out. hundreds, thousands of people are operating 2 ton vehicles at 100+ kph and are barely mentally present while they do so

So, while they perceive this as what is happening, it is most likely not. The way the brain handles long-term memory is that it retains things that are important, and dumps things that are not; think of your long-term memory as your hard disk, and your short-term memory as your RAM. If it's a thing you have done a bunch of times before that you really didn't learn anything new from this time you did it, as soon as you're done, your brain takes the short-term memory of that drive and basically erases it, assuming you don't need it.

The older you are, the more this happens (because the more things you've experienced that your brain doesn't feel the need to keep). Afterwards, it feels like you just zoned out and the time passed super fast, because you have no memory of it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ham Equity posted:

So, while they perceive this as what is happening, it is most likely not. The way the brain handles long-term memory is that it retains things that are important, and dumps things that are not; think of your long-term memory as your hard disk, and your short-term memory as your RAM. If it's a thing you have done a bunch of times before that you really didn't learn anything new from this time you did it, as soon as you're done, your brain takes the short-term memory of that drive and basically erases it, assuming you don't need it.

The older you are, the more this happens (because the more things you've experienced that your brain doesn't feel the need to keep). Afterwards, it feels like you just zoned out and the time passed super fast, because you have no memory of it.
Are you saying that people are wrong if they think that it feels like time is passing faster when they're doing something fun than when they're doing something tedious? Because I think the comment you are responding to is more about the perception of time and it seems weird to say that that's wrong when it's just a description of their experience.

I.e. if I say that it feels like time passes faster when playing a video game or something than driving it seems weird to respond and be like "no you're wrong; that's just your brain erasing your memory of playing a video game"

Or are you saying specifically that people who say they don't mind driving and therefore don't feel like time passes slowly when doing that are confused and they actually do mind driving?

Edit:

I think what you're describing is looking back over long periods of time, like years, because you have no long term memory of the time spent doing similar stuff. But the idea that all differences in how people perceive driving are due to that doesn't make sense. Personally, if I drive 4 hours it's like torture to me. But there are people who will drive 4 hours and it's nothing to them and immediately after doing it they'll say that it was perfectly enjoyable. That can't be explained by not retaining long term memories of driving.
vvvv

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:36 on Apr 10, 2024

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Are you saying that people are wrong if they think that it feels like time is passing faster when they're doing something fun than when they're doing something tedious? Because I think the comment you are responding to is more about the perception of time and it seems weird to say that that's wrong

Or are you saying specifically that people who say they don't mind driving and therefore don't feel like time passes slowly when doing that are lying?

I said it above but it’s a phenomenon you see a lot in people who do decades in prison or in soldiers who do long deployments in areas that aren’t active conflicts. The day to day time passes excruciatingly slow but when you look back over longer periods it seems like time flew by because there’s very little retained in the memory

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Mauser posted:

Who are these people that love driving so much? I just had to drive around a bit for the first time in forever while visiting family and it was so boring driving multiple hours. It felt like I was doing absolutely nothing, forced to stay awake and aware constantly, and each time I looked at the GPS after what felt like half an hour, in fact it had only been a couple of minutes. Oh and of course plenty of people threatening you with insane violence because of impatience and carelessness.

The separated bike lanes were all very nice though and I got to have some good rides to the beach and through the swamp.

I drove from Ohio to Utah and back and had a great time. AMA

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

Edit:

I think what you're describing is looking back over long periods of time, like years, because you have no long term memory of the time spent doing similar stuff. But the idea that all differences in how people perceive driving are due to that doesn't make sense. Personally, if I drive 4 hours it's like torture to me. But there are people who will drive 4 hours and it's nothing to them and immediately after doing it they'll say that it was perfectly enjoyable. That can't be explained by not retaining long term memories of driving.
vvvv

People do all kinds of stuff that makes them miserable that they do anyway and just don’t think too hard about. You’ve got it. What I’m saying is that people who are regularly making the same long drive several times a week are not zoning out, they’re just not retaining any significant memory from the drives and so when they reflect on it they think that it’s fine but if you rode with them they’re almost certainly not happy on any given haul of it

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

People do all kinds of stuff that makes them miserable that they do anyway and just don’t think too hard about. You’ve got it. What I’m saying is that people who are regularly making the same long drive several times a week are not zoning out, they’re just not retaining any significant memory from the drives and so when they reflect on it they think that it’s fine but if you rode with them they’re almost certainly not happy on any given haul of it
I hate driving but the idea that there's no individual difference in how much people enjoy driving while they're doing it and all differences are entirely based on not remembering it is just completely bizarre.

You realize that some people literally drive for fun, right? Is that just because they're confused and don't remember how much they actually hate it?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

I hate driving but the idea that there's no individual difference in how much people enjoy driving while they're doing it and all differences are entirely based on not remembering it is just completely bizarre.

You realize that some people literally drive for fun, right? Is that just because they're confused and don't remember how much they actually hate it?

I’m not sure if you’re being willfully dense or you’re just an idiot or if you feel threatened because you like long haul driving and need everyone else to be like you. I assume all three

This is about people who routinely go on long drives for reasons of work or chores or other reasons, not for fun, primarily about annoying highway and interstate driving, and explanation of how people probably aren’t zoning out so much as just not really remembering this stuff

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m not sure if you’re being willfully dense or you’re just an idiot or if you feel threatened because you like long haul driving and need everyone else to be like you. I assume all three

This is about people who routinely go on long drives for reasons of work or chores or other reasons, not for fun, primarily about annoying highway and interstate driving, and explanation of how people probably aren’t zoning out so much as just not really remembering this stuff
I think you're the one being willfully dense. As I said, I absolutely hate driving. But some people clearly hate driving less, and for someone who doesn't hate driving as much it is clearly possible to have time perceptually go faster while they are doing it than it would be for someone who hates driving.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think what's being said is that "people are alert when they're driving, they just don't remember it", rather than "people don't remember driving, which means they weren't paying attention while they were driving"

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Back when I was a car haver I would just drive for fun or when I was stressed. In the rocky early years of my marriage my wife and I would get in the car and just orbit our small town while we talked things through.

In hindsight it seems bizarre but that's just how much a part of life driving was. It felt as natural as walking.

mystes
May 31, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think what's being said is that "people are alert when they're driving, they just don't remember it", rather than "people don't remember driving, which means they weren't paying attention while they were driving"
In that case it's a purely semantic point about the definition of "zoning out" (i.e. saying that you can't "zone out" if you are alert enough to be driving) and you could replace that phrase with "getting in the zone" or "feeling like they're on autopilot" or something.

That still doesn't change the fact that this is something that people experience when they aren't finding driving unpleasant and people who use the phrase "zone out" to describe their driving are experiencing it as less unpleasant while they are actually driving, not just retrospectively looking back at how much they remember the details of driving over a period of months or years.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I am pretty excited for the new toyota land cruiser, I've always wanted to have more excuses to go out and explore saudi arabias nature more and stop being such a cave troll. maybe 5 years down the line I'll get it.

https://youtu.be/CIKrrGPyiaM?si=WCugmveVRONTXONj

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The real misery of long haul driving is that you’re forced to maintain focus on a very tedious task while at the same time not wanting to be doing it. It’s why people search out distractions like playing with their phone or whatever, anything to get novelty, but these people aren’t just zoning out or I assure you the current level of wrecks and fatalities would look absolutely aspirational instead of horrifying

Pleasure driving is a different beast, for a lot of reasons, but significantly among them is choosing to do an activity and playing with your route rather than following the most direct interstate or divided highway

mystes posted:

In that case it's a purely semantic point about the definition of "zoning out" (i.e. saying that you can't "zone out" if you are alert enough to be driving) and you could replace that phrase with "getting in the zone" or "feeling like they're on autopilot" or something.

That still doesn't change the fact that this is something that people experience when they aren't finding driving unpleasant and people who use the phrase "zone out" to describe their driving are experiencing it as less unpleasant while they are actually driving, not just retrospectively looking back at how much they remember the details of driving over a period of months or years.

You’re being extremely willfully dense and also I don’t believe you about driving I think you love cars and you like to rub their headlights and bumpers and have pet names for them and your neighbors have to yell at you all the time to stop being creepy with their cars

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Apr 10, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I love driving cars

in video games

mystes
May 31, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You’re being extremely willfully dense and also I don’t believe you about driving I think you love cars and you like to rub their headlights and bumpers and have pet names for them and your neighbors have to yell at you all the time to stop being creepy with their cars
I hate cars but unlike you I guess I have the ability to accept that other people may have different opinions from me

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

my bony fealty posted:

I love driving cars

in video games

2010's need for speed hot pursuit is one of the greatest games of all time and I wish it would be updated with todays cars.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mystes posted:

I hate cars but unlike you I guess I have the ability to accept that other people may have different opinions from me

Keep posting, op. I’m sure your neighbor’s Impreza hatchback will notice you soon

HashtagGirlboss has issued a correction as of 17:59 on Apr 10, 2024

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
i drive about 1000 km round trip every few months to see family and i hate it every time. it's true that i dont remember most of the highway time because it's boring as hell. its a good excuse to listen to a few albums? i would much rather take a train

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
some content from an hour ago:

I saw some road rage poo poo happening at kaiser northgate this morning: some guy was driving behind some old lady while she walked through the parking lot yelling at her that she should get off the road and she was all "get over it" and he yelled at her a few times before he drove off. just some weird poo poo for 9 30am

if he hadnt have driven off pretty quick i was gonna call the cops on him. poo poo aint loving normal

Imagine being so loving deranged because maybe she cut him off or something that you'll follow someone into a hospital parking lot to scream at them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

silicone thrills posted:

some content from an hour ago:

I saw some road rage poo poo happening at kaiser northgate this morning: some guy was driving behind some old lady while she walked through the parking lot yelling at her that she should get off the road and she was all "get over it" and he yelled at her a few times before he drove off. just some weird poo poo for 9 30am

if he hadnt have driven off pretty quick i was gonna call the cops on him. poo poo aint loving normal

Imagine being so loving deranged because maybe she cut him off or something that you'll follow someone into a hospital parking lot to scream at them.

lmao I was reading this going "what the gently caress I saw this exact same post somewhere else" and then I realized we're in the same local discord channel

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

People enjoy driving, I say, which is why they tend to lose their poo poo at minor inconveniences and unexpected behavior from other drivers on a semi regular basis and often by people who probably wouldn't flip out like that in other settings

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mystes posted:

Maybe it would help to make an analogy. I hate reading your posts, and every minute is miserable. But when I get done reading them I think back and I can't think of anything you said, its just a blur. That's what driving professionally is like.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
https://www.thedrive.com/news/hyundai-ioniq-5s-factory-mickey-mouse-wheels-are-future-disney-collectibles

y’all just don’t get it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The US government will employ whatever subsidies necessary to prevent this from happening. As we just saw with the extended gas tax holidays, even a modest increase in gas prices is intolerable.

here in beautiful southern california gas has been like $5.50+ for over a year and nobody cares or mentions it anymore. gas over $5 used to be big news. it'll creep up in no time reckon.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

zero knowledge posted:

i don't drive [signaling virtue]

Thank you for signalling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LangmanVince/status/1777655386570473554?t=7GtAlSdFixxizloIquWElw&s=19

Biden is the anti-car candidate

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I love Joe Biden

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

cars should only be used for racing imho

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Thank you for signalling.

Lmao

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2024/04/11/salt-lake-city-driver-charged/

quote:

The Salt Lake City man accused of plowing into six female pedestrians with his car in random attacks has been linked to two more hit-and-runs, the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office announced Thursday.

Anh Pham, 26, is now facing three additional attempted murder charges connected to a March 2 crash near 900 South 1300 East in Salt Lake City and another on March 12 near 166 N. T St. in Salt Lake City.

Pham had previously been charged in the following cases:

An Aug. 22, 2023, crash at 1000 West 500 South in Salt Lake City, involving a 36-year-old woman who was struck after the driving repeatedly asked her to get into his car.

A Feb. 24 crash near 1700 East and 11490 South in Sandy, where a 50-year-old woman and her 16-year-old daughter were struck and left lying on the road.

A Feb. 28 crash near Douglas and Laird avenues in Salt Lake City, where a 44 and 50-year-old woman were hit walking on the street after leaving an exercise class.

A March 11 crash near 600 W. North Temple in Salt Lake City, where a 20-year-old was struck and critically injured in a crosswalk.