Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm so glad I don't work in academia any more.

When I did we had so many duplicate database systems because researchers are a highly territorial species so even if their fields overlapped a lot and they would all benefit from being able to easily cross-reference data they each had their own separate, isolated installations.

All way behind on updates of course because while they'll begrudgingly pay for acquiring the system, good luck getting a researcher to spend even a cent of their precious grant money on maintaining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

xzzy posted:

We're a strict linux-only group and an experiment needed a windows system to run some kind of precision measurement tool as that's the only OS it ran on.

For other stupid reasons they insisted they needed root and the people that bring in grant money always win those arguments. So when we told them no on windows they installed a windows VM on one of the linux boxes and told no one. It ran like that for 5 years before the hard drive died with no backups and they wanted us to help get the VM running again.. sorry, nope. You wanna do shadow IT you get to see it to the end.

I love these kind of stories.

unless it’s my shadow it that goes wrong

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gucci Loafers posted:

How long is this Google event going on for as I am as in Vegas. Is it free?

No, it costs thousands of dollars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gucci Loafers posted:

How long is this Google event going on for as I am as in Vegas. Is it free?

No, but you are not missing anything

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
There is open testing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today for the upcoming 500, so I went down there for a couple of hours today. I took a table for my laptop and worked off the hotspot; legitimately got some work done. “Sorry, I can’t take a call right now, I’m at the track” is a valid excuse in this company.

I took our weekly team meeting with the cars in the background. My boss didn’t care and was planning on coming down later. It’s gonna be hard to leave this pod.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CommieGIR posted:

No, but you are not missing anything

drat, if anyone's around town but I'd be up for a :guinness:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Question for the thread, when a job advert says they want an Expert, SME or someone with a solid understanding of X, Y and Z. What level of depth is expected during the interview? And how hard do you expect them to hit the ground running on the first day? For example, in Active Directory do you really want me to be able to explain each FMSO role in detail? When I open a Powershell terminal, do you expect me to just know the commands to do whatever to a domain controller off the top of my head?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That greatly depends on who is interviewing you and whether it's a MSP. A MSP will want you to know random rear end 169.254 reserved IPs used in a bad DHCP exchange for a "windows SME" as well as FSMO roles; enterprise could give a poo poo. A MSP will want you to hit the ground running so you are profitable without training.

You have some responsibility to deflect those kind of questions however. Asking for what kind of problems you will be solving and talking through how you would approach them, including "I'd ask jives." Soooo many people just do not do research.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I was supposed to go to next this year but kids put a stop to that. Perhaps next year

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

No, it costs thousands of dollars.
It's the perfect scam, you get people to pay you thousands of dollars to listen to your sales pitch.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Collateral Damage posted:

It's the perfect scam, you get people's work to pay you thousands of dollars to listen to your sales pitch.

Ftfy

If anyone is there on their own dime you may as well introduce them to Bitcoin and your dear friend the prince of Nigeria because they're clearly natural suckers

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Had a meeting with my boss today where he told me that when they hired me they already knew he would be moving on to another position soon, and apparently the hiring discussions were largely centered around how they were looking at me as an eventual replacement.
I'm floored and starting to wonder whose resume I actually sent them...

My impostor syndrome is over in the corner masturbating furiously.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

devmd01 posted:

There is open testing at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway today for the upcoming 500, so I went down there for a couple of hours today. I took a table for my laptop and worked off the hotspot; legitimately got some work done. “Sorry, I can’t take a call right now, I’m at the track” is a valid excuse in this company.

I took our weekly team meeting with the cars in the background. My boss didn’t care and was planning on coming down later. It’s gonna be hard to leave this pod.

I want to move back to Indianapolis because I’m too poor to live in Denver. How’s the IT/Cybersecurity job field there?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Wired Network went down at the office today, wifi still worked (no idea how it's all on the same switches), the only solution was to physically unplug the switches and wait 10 minutes for everything to come back online and I feel like I'm going batty. This isn't normal, surely? A man who's been a consultant system administrator surely has some remote management, right? What the gently caress, I'm actually mad at how clownshow it is here

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Are the switches meraki? Seen that with those before.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Cisco

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the-office-pam-same-picture.jpg

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

the-office-pam-same-picture.jpg

Far from it. We had issues where stacks of Meraki's management plane would crash and the only fix is to reboot the entire stack. There is no command line. If there is no GUI, you can't config anything on the switch.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

goddammit

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

where is your sense of humor

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=who+owns+meraki&l=1

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sigh, I know who owns who but come on.

In other news our VMware reseller told us expect a 1.5x increase in renewal costs coming up. Everything is coming up Milhouse.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Sigh, I know who owns who but come on.

:thejoke:

quote:

In other news our VMware reseller told us expect a 1.5x increase in renewal costs coming up. Everything is coming up Milhouse.

:nice:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Even our execs that went to the Google NEXT with me are saying "Google won't shutup about their god damned AI (Gemini) and we're getting tired of it"

Winning, Google, Winning.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

There should be a gangtag for my fellow LLM haters

Every time I see $x has AI now it just makes me want to stop using it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GreenNight posted:

Far from it. We had issues where stacks of Meraki's management plane would crash and the only fix is to reboot the entire stack. There is no command line. If there is no GUI, you can't config anything on the switch.

If it's Cisco it could be some of their bullshit rebranded Logitech switches from a decade ago! Those pieces of poo poo were my first introduction to modern networking with VLANS and all that. It's a good thing I've forgotten most of that, the Cisco consultants my employer had had set it up had not only got us to buy bullshit, but they had us buy bullshit that had memory leaks when spanning tree issues came up because they managed to create an actual loop with the physical cabling. They also couldn't diagnose it, so we had recurring network outages until I rechecked their wiring diagram with where the cables actually went. I wish I could name and shame, but I killed those brain cells years ago.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokin opposition posted:

perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

tokin opposition posted:

This

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

tokin opposition posted:

I went to a vendor conf recently and half the talks were about AI. I skipped all of those, except the parts about it in the keynote. Those were enough to make me throw up a little in my mouth.

All the people I spoke who did attend those said they all had overlap and none of them were really interesting at all.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tokin opposition posted:

I recently bought an Nvidia GPU that was marketed as "AI Enhanced" but it actually does make the framerate smoother when you enable DLSS and I swear to god this is literally the first usage of AI where I went "wow, that is actually useful".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Soon they'll put AI on the blockchain to create exciting NFT's.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I emailed our Google Workspace account manager a while back to ask if we could split our licenses so some were monthly commitment and some were annual to account for seasonal employees. They spent ages wanting to arrange a meeting which I eventually caved in on, and took 30 minutes to say that what I wanted wasn't possible but I could buy through a reseller and they could offer it.

The account manager got in touch again today to try and tell me all about Gemini :fuckoff:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

mllaneza posted:

If it's Cisco it could be some of their bullshit rebranded Logitech switches from a decade ago!

Do you mean Linksys or did I black out?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Organic Lube User posted:

Had a meeting with my boss today where he told me that when they hired me they already knew he would be moving on to another position soon, and apparently the hiring discussions were largely centered around how they were looking at me as an eventual replacement.
I'm floored and starting to wonder whose resume I actually sent them...

My impostor syndrome is over in the corner masturbating furiously.

My manager told me to apply for a promotion and he’d give it to me based on completing my degree, not because I’ve done any real work since I started here. Actually a bunch of time I’ve spent at work has been on classwork and they’ve given me the green light to do it as much as I want until work ramps up later this year. I’m sure I’ll be grumpy later when everything is on fire but for now I’m enjoying it

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Hotel Kpro posted:

My manager told me to apply for a promotion and he’d give it to me based on completing my degree, not because I’ve done any real work since I started here. Actually a bunch of time I’ve spent at work has been on classwork and they’ve given me the green light to do it as much as I want until work ramps up later this year. I’m sure I’ll be grumpy later when everything is on fire but for now I’m enjoying it

Awesome, sounds like a cool manager. I've got another month of training and shadowing, and they'll pay for any certs I wanna do afterwards. Gonna spend as much time in courses on the clock as I can.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Both my IT jobs have been very liberal with people doing career and education advancement as long as the job got done too. The rest of my jobs have been much more focused on accounting for production time. It’s been refreshing

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Do you have BPDUguard turned on on the Cisco switches? I've seen knuckleheads shut out sections of a wired network because some goober plugged in a little Netgear switch from home so they could plug in another device and it causes the main Cisco switch to freak the gently caress out.

If you pull up the interface statuses and it's showing err-disabled it could be getting got from that direction.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool when people enable things like BPDU guard but don't set a timer for turning the port back on, you end up with a 48 port switch where people assume 30 of the ports are dead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That greatly depends on who is interviewing you and whether it's a MSP. A MSP will want you to know random rear end 169.254 reserved IPs used in a bad DHCP exchange for a "windows SME" as well as FSMO roles; enterprise could give a poo poo. A MSP will want you to hit the ground running so you are profitable without training.

You have some responsibility to deflect those kind of questions however. Asking for what kind of problems you will be solving and talking through how you would approach them, including "I'd ask jives." Soooo many people just do not do research.

What if it's not a MSP but some huge F500 or a large consulting firm?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm configuring a Dell N4032F switch for my house and as someone who has never configured Dell switches before I appreciate that I can download the latest firmware without having a license or maintenance.