Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Yeah getting lucky with a money joker is what you have to do, otherwise buy like one good score boosting joker and try to hold onto $25 for passive income. Tarot cards,skipping blinds or trying to get lucky with cards packs for gold are your other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah I guess sometimes I just don't generate enough money without a cash cow joker to get to 25 before I die in the second or third ante but tbf I probably am buying scoring jokers in the first ante a non zero number of times which certainly isn't helping since that usually stalls me out around ante 4-5 anyway but it's usually BC I get offered a clear deck build around I haven't been offered before and I can't help myself.

Are there any skips that are clear slam picks in the first ante? Anything that can make as much money as playing a round obviously but is that it?

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 10, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah I guess sometimes I just don't generate enough money without a cash cow joker to get to 25 before I die in the second or third ante but tbf I probably am buying scoring jokers in the first ante a non zero number of times which certainly isn't helping since that usually stalls me out around ante 4-5 anyway but it's usually BC I get offered a clear deck build around I haven't been offered before and I can't help myself.

Are there any skips that are clear slam picks in the first ante? Anything that can make as much money as playing a round obviously but is that it?

Think of each Ante in the sense that you need X amount of Jokers to beat them.

You can beat all of Ante 1 with no Joker, by ante 2-3 you need 1 scoring joker, preferably a multiplier, by 4 you need 2, by 5 you need 3, 6 4, 7 5.

And usually the quality matters more. A lot of runs I've had will coast on a single joker that's worth more than two others. Misprint can get you through 1-3 probably on its own, but it's a wasted slot by the late game.

As for the skips. Holographic. Now that the skipped for Joker will cost $0, Holographic is a slam pick because it's just 10 Mult. What joker is it? Doesn't matter, costs nothing, secures several antes.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
All the trophies down!

except completion + and ++ gently caress that

:edit: last trophy was the 80 cards in deck - weirdly difficult to get going. I tried a lot with the ghost pack hoping for cryptids and the other dump some random cards but it wouldn't pop off. In the end, certificate of authenticity in the second shop is what did it

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Onmi posted:

The best advice is to learn to do all of Ante 1 without a joker. The compound interest from clearing blinds and saving cash will give you a much faster boost. Only purchase things that would speed up the process. An econ joker or like a Popcorn (which just makes the other blinds easier to speed through.)

This is a good way to practice, but a good early joker is going to easily pay for itself and probably wind up cash-positive by giving you more unspent hands. If you pay $5 for a joker and it lets you beat rounds 2 & 3 in one less hand then you're no worse off economically and the shop at the end of ante 1 is no longer make-or-break for your run--and a $5 joker that only saves you 1 spent hand in early rounds is well behind the curve, there are lots of common score jokers that will boost your econ more than saving money will.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PoundSand posted:

tbh I don't even really get the point of nerfing something like that. Vampire/midas is a double uncommon combo and it does what, win an ante 8 run for you? There are double common combos that do that. It's not strong enough to carry high point scores because retriggers and x-mult are king there. It's not a pvp game so I don't really get the "it's too strong" argument, if you think it's boring just don't play it kind of bingo bongo reductionism I get it but like I've seen vampire plenty of times and generally don't grab it because I'm not interested in it.
I really dont think there are double common combos that autowin gold stake for you the way vampmask did, and if there are, TELL ME!!!

Aside from that vampire was just generally overtuned at .2 he could carry most runs very easily. The played->scored nerf is fine too cause high card is imo too strong compared to other strats.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's also not that big a deal to not be making a ton of cash. Obviously it makes scaling to late blinds harder but sometimes you don't have a choice, and buying what it takes to crush early blinds is good enough.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

So close to beating Ante 16 needed more red seals and blueprint/brainstorm would have dramatically changed things. Rip Luchadore I never got to use you.

New Highscore tho!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

All that without any seals? drat

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, I just can't get my hand size to 5 or under. Every time I try I just never get any more ways to do it once I hit hand size 6. It's one of my few unlocks left.

e: The single spectral pack this stuntman run got me had no way to do it lol poo poo

If you get stuntman again you can blueprint it before the round starts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Papes posted:

Did that get changed in the beta? In the release version blueprinting a stuntman did not double the hand size reduction.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

the holy poopacy posted:

Did that get changed in the beta? In the release version blueprinting a stuntman did not double the hand size reduction.

Hmm maybe it got changed at some point or I encountered a bug. Pretty sure it did that for me once, though not very common to get both jokers in same run to test.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Papes posted:

I tried doing exactly that with Brainstorm but all it did was double the amount of chips instead of cutting the hand size as well.

It was a p good run except for not achieving my goal lol

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

No Wave posted:

I really dont think there are double common combos that autowin gold stake for you the way vampmask did, and if there are, TELL ME!!!

Aside from that vampire was just generally overtuned at .2 he could carry most runs very easily. The played->scored nerf is fine too cause high card is imo too strong compared to other strats.
Square and ride the bus/green joker/supernova. Or alternatively two of the latter. I mean you're right on a semantic level it doesn't guarantee a win and you'll still need some later form of joker support but if you get two of those early the run is basically a freebie.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PoundSand posted:

Square and ride the bus/green joker/supernova. Or alternatively two of the latter. I mean you're right on a semantic level it doesn't guarantee a win and you'll still need some later form of joker support but if you get two of those early the run is basically a freebie.

If you get square up to 240 chips and one of the common scalers up to 60 mult then you're looking at a score of ~20k on a midrange 5 card hand. It's a great start and your odds look good but you still have a decent ways to go.

EDIT: like, throw in a Cavendish and a couple middling jokers and you will probably beat most ante 8 bosses, but it's certainly possible to do worse than that, and also Violet Vessel exists

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 10, 2024

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Another run getting real close to popping off. In this case. All the Red Seal/Steels, but no Mime or invisible jokers

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

the holy poopacy posted:

If you get square up to 240 chips and one of the common scalers up to 60 mult then you're looking at a score of ~20k on a midrange 5 card hand. It's a great start and your odds look good but you still have a decent ways to go.

EDIT: like, throw in a Cavendish and a couple middling jokers and you will probably beat most ante 8 bosses, but it's certainly possible to do worse than that, and also Violet Vessel exists
Violet vessel can stuff high card runs it's true but I don't think I've lost any high stake run with two of those scalars within the first two ante's to any of the other bosses. You'll find something to pull it together and the lack of needing to throw early resources from an early struggle means your economy gets online earlier (and/or becomes really strong as you can afford to hold a gold generating joker for a v long time) so you'll have more shots to look for things to complete a build. I recall balatro university at some point showing his most used jokers by won runs and it was far and away those guys.

My point wasn't that midas/vampire wasn't stronger it's just that there's already fairly simple solutions to high stakes runs at even lower rarities. I don't have an issue with nerfing it, as I said I seldom took vampire to begin with because I think modified cards are substantially more interesting, I just wouldn't have seen a pressing need to nerf it either. Stuff like the sinful jokers makes more sense to nerf to me because I think the dev is trying to guide players away from traps like learning to be overly reliant on flushes, but some of the other stuff like vampire, vagabond, campfire, etc, seems a bit more questionable because even if we all agree they were too strong it's not really hurting anyone (and plenty of people were still struggling for successful high stakes playthroughs so maybe having some busted stuff that's easy to build around and can give people a freebie isn't a bad thing).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think I've ever taken green joker. It always shows up way too late and even early, I discard so much that it's just never anything for me

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PoundSand posted:

My point wasn't that midas/vampire wasn't stronger it's just that there's already fairly simple solutions to high stakes runs at even lower rarities. I don't have an issue with nerfing it, as I said I seldom took vampire to begin with because I think modified cards are substantially more interesting, I just wouldn't have seen a pressing need to nerf it either. Stuff like the sinful jokers makes more sense to nerf to me because I think the dev is trying to guide players away from traps like learning to be overly reliant on flushes, but some of the other stuff like vampire, vagabond, campfire, etc, seems a bit more questionable because even if we all agree they were too strong it's not really hurting anyone (and plenty of people were still struggling for successful high stakes playthroughs so maybe having some busted stuff that's easy to build around and can give people a freebie isn't a bad thing).
I mean if you were playing seriously you always picked vampire to win ante 8 unless you had already won. Campfire was 80% of the time a guaranteed win whenever you found it. Yes this got stale. You seem to be arguing against single player game balance period and I've had that discussion way too many times here at this point.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't think I've ever taken green joker. It always shows up way too late and even early, I discard so much that it's just never anything for me

I like it less than a lot of people but it's still good. The trick is to think of it as a way to "buy" multiplier directly by spending extra hands throwing away junk cards (which also means you rarely need to spend discards since you can cycle your hand with junk plays.)

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

So I finally beat the gold stakes with the checkered deck. I'm sick of flushes, but it seems like such low hanging fruit.

Any advice for the next deck/build type I should try? I still have about 11 jokers to unlock.

Pokeytax
Jun 13, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

This is a good way to practice, but a good early joker is going to easily pay for itself and probably wind up cash-positive by giving you more unspent hands. If you pay $5 for a joker and it lets you beat rounds 2 & 3 in one less hand then you're no worse off economically and the shop at the end of ante 1 is no longer make-or-break for your run--and a $5 joker that only saves you 1 spent hand in early rounds is well behind the curve, there are lots of common score jokers that will boost your econ more than saving money will.

Yeah, this is the biggest thing to understand, unspent hands directly give you money so score jokers are economy jokers. You can brute-force your economy by getting three passable score jokers and then amassing $25 over an ante. Doing it the other way around and amassing $25 before Ante 2 through careful play will kill you unless you find something in the shop.

Other small tips:
  • A tarot card in your consumables area is better than one from a pack. Used optimally during a round you can earn $1 or $2 by saving a hand or two and still incrementally improving your deck. I would buy virtually any loose card other than Lovers/Magician/Fortune/Temperance if there's nothing better to get, and Devil is an easy buy even though it's trash in Arcana Packs because you break even immediately.
  • Your first Jupiter or Saturn or Earth can be viewed as emergency jokers; they will usually get you through Ante 1 and earn a buck or two in saved hands.
  • Once you have a score joker giving you spare hands/discards to work with, almost any economy joker is good with some finagling. Even something like an early Chaos the Clown is doubling your joker options per shop.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

If you get it early you never have to discard, because it'll scale fast enough the flat +mult means even playing weak hands like pairs/highcard will have enough mult to continuously blow through blinds. If your hand doesn't score enough to beat the blind, it means you play another hand and it therefor gets stronger. Combine it with something that gives simple chips like banner, blue joker, square joker, etc, (stuntman being the one everyone references but it's by no means necessary) and you can just keep playing trash every round and cruise through many ante's even on purple+ stake. You can intentionally play weak hands to use as pseudo discards to both grow the joker and search for whatever else it is you want to play if you want too.

The drawback of this is each hand you play is essentially 1 lost dollar but because you won't have to invest in as many jokers early (or can afford to keep a gold generating joker around) you'll probably be racking up interest faster than most alternatives at higher stakes.

It's not particularly interesting but it is more or less the easiest way to do high stake runs pre-new patch. With the new patch I don't think this approach will be as necessary/common because with changes to gold/orange stake you can go back to playing more difficult hands regularly and buying packs to hone your deck towards that end which is both more fun and less susceptible to large blind bosses.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Leon Sumbitches posted:

So I finally beat the gold stakes with the checkered deck. I'm sick of flushes, but it seems like such low hanging fruit.

Any advice for the next deck/build type I should try? I still have about 11 jokers to unlock.

If you’re looking to climb the antes again, abandoned deck is probably similar difficulty to checkered but no specific flush synergy. At lower levels, ghost deck is harder, but I think it may be the easiest to clear gold stake on - just need to get one good joker early, hit it with Hex and you’re off. Find an ankh card in the first couple antes and you can set up some really fun runs because “2x polychrome ____” leads to a lot of busted stuff

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I finally got an early Blueprint + The Other Copying One along with Mime and Baron and then Burned Joker AND got a Steel/Red Seal King engine going; I ended up losing at the Ante 15 boss because he debuffed clubs and all my Red Seal Kings were Clubs and I completely forgot I had the VHS tape and my non-Red Seal Steel Kings just weren't quite enough. If I had done the reroll (and remembered earlier that I could triple Burned Joker every round before I had to sell him to the boss in Ante 8; I replaced him with the +2 handsize -1 hand Joker) I probably could've at least hit if not cleared 16 despite never finding a single negative Joker.

Oh well, still felt really good and finally unlocked Stuntman.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Ugh I finally had a good start on the black deck that is kicking my rear end and somehow I fell over on the fourth ante

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Had some fun runs today on anaglyph deck, I just started playing it so only on green stake but it's been a p easy streak. I kind of assumed I would be going for the negative tag for something meme-y but instead I've had a ton of success with popping it around ante 6 for mega celestial with telescope and constellation and on mega tarot packs for some crazy deck manipulation. Last run was an easy clear with having a deck that was almost entirely king of clubs by ante 8.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Ugh I finally had a good start on the black deck that is kicking my rear end and somehow I fell over on the fourth ante

It's largely considered one of the hardest decks to play, not necessarily the worst cause an extra slot is p good but - hand size is such a rough debuff that they even took it out of the gold stake penalty.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah if it didn't have another deck behind a win on it I would have bailed ages ago. The annoying thing was I had 25 gold and full joker slots by the end of second ante somehow but I blew it

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Just listened to the latest Eggplant podcast with Localthunk - a greeat listen but..

IF YOU'RE HOLDING A TAROT CARD THAT MEANS IT WONT APPEAR IN PACKS?? (unless you got that dupe joker)
80 hours and only just now learning this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Oh is that the purpose of that joker? Its description never made sense to me.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Chadzok posted:

Just listened to the latest Eggplant podcast with Localthunk - a greeat listen but..

IF YOU'RE HOLDING A TAROT CARD THAT MEANS IT WONT APPEAR IN PACKS?? (unless you got that dupe joker)

Okay, I was wondering about this because the fallback for tarot cards changed from Fool to Strength in the beta patch, and it's listed in the notes. But I was like, "when would that ever happen?" I suspected this had to be the case and sounds like I was right

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Popete posted:

Oh is that the purpose of that joker? Its description never made sense to me.

It’s a bad joker but lets you fish for a dupe of a s tier jokers.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Chadzok posted:

Also won't appear in the shop. So if you have a lot of money or like the price reduction vouchers it can be a reasonable/good investment to buy lovely tarot cards while rolling or cracking packs to increase the likelyhood of one you want to see showing up.

Color Printer posted:

Okay, I was wondering about this because the fallback for tarot cards changed from Fool to Strength in the beta patch, and it's listed in the notes. But I was like, "when would that ever happen?" I suspected this had to be the case and sounds like I was right

I'm trying to think of a situation where that'd even come up. I guess if you had a perkeo and just rotated through held cards to get negatives of a bunch of the tarot (or planet) cards then cracked a mega pack but like that's something that would only come up if you were actively trying to do it and serves no function lol.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Swashbuckler 43 mult on final hand, Constellation 3.3X mult

First (and only) Gold Stakes win on version 1.0.0.n and boy was this setup getting by on the skin of its teeth.

Stuntman showed up in the first shop, but I struggled to get +mult jokers and for a while mostly had only +chips until Swashbuckler showed up. I knew it was very very risky, but I then grabbed the Eternal Egg just to try and get ANY kind of scaling going.

I actually had Astronomer for a while, but of course didn't get nearly as many planet cards as I had hoped; the planet voucher didn't show up until super late. Near the end I swapped Astronomer for Acrobat because I was falling behind the curve and needed any kind of boost I could get.

I wanted to swap over to High Card, but I kept getting Flush planet cards so I ended up sticking with that all the way until the end.

Frankly I thought I was hosed when Cerulean Bell came up, and I did have to play some High Card, but I lucked out and got to finish off with a Flush which blew past the ~60k I had left to go.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

PoundSand posted:

Had some fun runs today on anaglyph deck, I just started playing it so only on green stake but it's been a p easy streak. I kind of assumed I would be going for the negative tag for something meme-y but instead I've had a ton of success with popping it around ante 6 for mega celestial with telescope and constellation and on mega tarot packs for some crazy deck manipulation. Last run was an easy clear with having a deck that was almost entirely king of clubs by ante 8.

It's largely considered one of the hardest decks to play, not necessarily the worst cause an extra slot is p good but - hand size is such a rough debuff that they even took it out of the gold stake penalty.

Wait really? It's my second favorite after abandoned. Sure it has a tough time early but once you can afford to fill those slots it's smooth sailing.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PoundSand posted:

It's -1 hand not -1 hand size

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Honestly I think I'd do better with - hand size, minus hand manages to both cripple my economy and ultimately my ability to survive. Skips seem super important everytime I feel like I have a chance it's because the first two blinds had an insane skip

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Honestly I think I'd do better with - hand size, minus hand manages to both cripple my economy and ultimately my ability to survive. Skips seem super important everytime I feel like I have a chance it's because the first two blinds had an insane skip

Yeah, agreed. -1 hand per round is a really rough downside and I had way more difficulty clearing even white stake with black deck than I did any other deck.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Finally broke a hundred million (and then some.)

Now I just need to will Stuntman into the shop and I've got all the jokers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Well, that may have been the easiest Gold Stake ever.

It didn't have the legs to get past Ante 12 or so but man did it chew through 1-8.