Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

buy now refi later lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Paradoxish posted:

buy now refi later lmao

lol

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's wild that my 1/1's rent is just more than every price listed there

I think I need to buy a house

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

buy now refi later lmao

💯

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Spaced God posted:

It's wild that my 1/1's rent is just more than every price listed there

I think I need to buy a house

good luck finding a 250k house

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how does the fed reconcile the fact that prices are super loving high but basically also every major corporation is making record profits year over year

like what mechanism to we have to deal with blatant profiteering

Actually raising rates enough to cause a recession which was the entire point of raising rates in the first place.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

how does the fed reconcile the fact that prices are super loving high but basically also every major corporation is making record profits year over year

like what mechanism to we have to deal with blatant profiteering

the glorious free market obv

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

prices are by definition not too high because if they were too high you'd buy something else, that's what this graph I saw in econ 101 says

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

looking forward to refinancing in 30 years

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

triple sulk posted:

didn't biden ask companies to lower prices 4-6 months ago

yep. but you're not gonna believe this. they didn't

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Why can the people's president not do what Nixon of all loving people could (price freeze)?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

didn't biden ask companies to lower prices 4-6 months ago

sounds like a long enough gap for him to get a second soundbite out of it, sure. Working as intended, marking ticket won't fix

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

FHA delinquencies on their way up is the least surprising thing ever given how common the tactic of selling refinancing is. It should be considered outright predatory and illegal given that refinancing loving costs money and rates need to plummet by an absurdly huge amount to make it worthwhile for someone to pile even more loan costs onto a house they probably have almost no equity in.

loving car salespeople are even starting to pile onto the idea that you can just refi your car note later.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Furman, while a lib shithead, has been consistently good on inflstion analysis and reading between the lines on this thread it seems he is worried.

And as you can see he says the same thing I was saying about shelter.

Also lmao
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1778052815270937078?t=7YM_s_IaJUFHuGRWU0UfOA&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How could this be? The Federal Reserve has been wildly successful at their job :confused:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
is Furman the one with the psychotic zionist for a wife (I realize there are probably many of these)

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Business Gorillas posted:

My company is into DEI but for whatever reason all of the conservative white women we have in management only seem to hire other conservative white women :thunk:

Still technically DEI

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

There's also almost nothing you can do to address the issue of shelter inflation without directly targeting landlords/cash buyers and overall affordability, either through taxes or some other form of fiscal action. Higher rates are never going to fix shelter costs because the people who continue buying need to do so at a much higher cost and everyone dropping out of the market is being forced directly into the arms of predatory landlords.

You aren't fixing actual house prices without something that looks a lot worse than the 2008 crash.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah does not appear to be a supply issue either

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gunshow Poophole posted:

is Furman the one with the psychotic zionist for a wife (I realize there are probably many of these)

Yes. He vanished from Twitter for several months after that episode with his wife. To my knowledge he hasn't commented on it at all since returning lol.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

prices are by definition not too high because if they were too high you'd buy something else, that's what this graph I saw in econ 101 says

hot new millennial trend: mostly just eating legumes and rice

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

what in the world

lol and this freak is the "good" one

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

yeah does not appear to be a supply issue either

My experience is that developers have absolutely zero fear about their homes sitting on the market at a higher price than anyone is willing to pay. You built a two million dollar luxury home and you're going to sell a two million dollar luxury home or you're going to sell nothing, because someone will come in and save you before you ever have to sell that house for a loss lower profit.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

RE: $10K Chinese electric cars

Hacker News VC Tech Genius posted:

Affordable small cars have never been a thing in the US, electric or not. There's zero reason to believe that this new batch will pose a threat.
:hmmyes:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
reminder: one man’s inflated prices is another person’s (corporation) profits

America/capitalism fundamentally cannot rectify the inherent contradiction of infinite growth on finite resources against inflatory pressure

cpi 30% next year let’s gooo

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

My experience is that developers have absolutely zero fear about their homes sitting on the market at a higher price than anyone is willing to pay. You built a two million dollar luxury home and you're going to sell a two million dollar luxury home or you're going to sell nothing, because someone will come in and save you before you ever have to sell that house for a loss lower profit.

that and also there are millions of vacant homes in the USA

I guess if you look at specific regions there could be supply issues

but that is Econ 101 thought we are way past that

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Ha ha jokes on anyone looting my corpse I have nothing of value

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

sounds like a long enough gap for him to get a second soundbite out of it, sure. Working as intended, marking ticket won't fix

I keep seeing the same PSLF student debt relief being passed off as a new set of forgivenesses instead of the same pool regurgitated over and over for a story

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I keep seeing the same PSLF student debt relief being passed off as a new set of forgivenesses instead of the same pool regurgitated over and over for a story

Anyone paying attention is buying it too AFAICT

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1778061060823462086

My "Ready to rescue a Wall Street bank" statement has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my statement

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

RealityWarCriminal posted:

:prepop:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

My "Wall Street bank might blow up" statement has a lot of people asking questions...

Why would you volunteer this information

Who is on the cusp? How did they get over leveraged anyhow

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

[words of country who won't be ready if a big bank fails]

"what are ya gonna do, not be ready if a big bank fails?"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
glad more and more people are noticing just how insanely lovely the internet is these days, I don’t agree with the overt romanticism or even that it can be fixed. but man it’s bad. shut it down

quote:

The Internet Feels Dead, Doesn’t It?
From punk rock to adult contemporary. (And back again?)

Remember the early days of the internet? (I was born in 1992, so I do.)

It was a wild, untamed frontier, brimming with possibility. A digital punk rock revolution, where ideas flowed freely, relatively unencumbered by the suffocating grip of corporate control. It was beautiful, chaotic, and so loving alive. (Sure, once in a while you saw things nobody should ever see, especially no twelve-year-old — I vividly remember a story of two girls and only one cup — but that didn’t cause me any lasting harm, did it? Did it??)

We were explorers, pioneers, setting out to map uncharted territories of the mind. The very architecture of the internet seemed to promise a future of radical democracy, of communities bound together by shared passions rather than geography or social class:

Jesus loving Christ, how far we have fallen.

Today’s internet is a hollow shell of its former self, a once vibrant ecosystem now strip-mined by the insatiable appetite of surveillance capitalism. Where we once had a thriving bazaar of ideas, we now have a never-ending stream of staged videos, malformed AI art, and regurgitated Substack opinions (like this one), all packaged neatly for maximum engagement and minimum substance. The internet has become one giant, inescapable advertisement, every click tracked, every preference cataloged, every moment of attention ruthlessly monetized (by the way, you should definitely become a paid subscriber to Beneath the Pavement).

Are you not entertained?

This is the enshittification of the internet, ladies and gentlemen, to borrow a term from the ever-colorful Cory Doctorow. Platform decay. It’s the slow, inexorable process by which the delightful chaos of the early web is tamed, sanitized, and repackaged for mass consumption. The quirky, homespun charm of GeoCities pages and niche forums has been replaced by the sleek, corporate minimalism of Instagram and now Reddit, a style choice that reflects the hollowness within.

Remember when YouTube was a place for genuine, unfiltered human expression? Now it’s an endless sea of reaction videos, drama vlogs, and thinly-veiled product placements (looking at you, Kurzgesagt). The algorithm, that mysterious and all-powerful arbiter of attention, rewards not creativity or originality, but engagement at any cost. And so we’re fed a steady diet of manufactured outrage, fake controversies, and vapid “content” designed to keep us clicking, watching, and scrolling. It works magnificently.

Some have even suggested that the internet is already dead, that what we're interacting with now is little more than a convincing simulacrum populated by bots and AI (who can guarantee you that I even exist?). It’s a rather chilling thought, but one that’s hard to dismiss entirely. After all, how much of what we see online these days feels truly authentic, truly human? The uncanny valley of AI-generated text and images is rapidly shrinking, and it’s becoming harder and harder to distinguish the real from the fake.

This is not some accident of technology, but the logical endpoint of a system that prioritizes profit over people at every turn. The internet was once a commons, a shared space for collaboration and creativity. But as Shoshana Zuboff warns in her work “The Age of Surveillance Capitalism,” it has been enclosed by private interests, fenced off, strip-mined for data. Our every interaction, our every intimate thought and feeling, has become raw material for the machine, fuel for the engines of targeted advertising and behavioral prediction. A corporate tragedy of the commons.

Capitalist takeover

In short: capitalism, in its endless quest for growth and profit, has swallowed the internet whole. The platforms that dominate our online lives — Google, Meta, Amazon — are private fiefdoms, answerable only to their shareholders and the bottom line. And as they’ve grown, they’ve used their wealth and market dominance to gobble up potential competitors, stifle innovation, and bend the very fabric of the internet to their will.

Even supposed bastions of independence like Substack — despite incessant claims to the contrary — are far from immune. Though pitched as a way for writers to break free from the tyranny of the algorithm, it’s rapidly becoming just another playground for the well-connected, a space where success is determined not by the quality of one’s ideas, but by the size of one’s existing audience. (I say this not out of spite, at least not entirely.) Unknown writers, in general, will remain unknown no matter the quality of idea and skill.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

The inversion of internet and real life

Perhaps most disturbingly, the internet is no longer a reflection of real life — no, real life has become a reflection of the internet. Our (boring) offline world is increasingly shaped by the priorities and incentives of the online attention economy. Politics has become a series of viral moments and hashtag campaigns, substance sacrificed for shareability and outrage. Culture is reduced to a never-ending series of memes and challenges, each more ephemeral than the last. Even our interpersonal relationships, to a degree, are mediated by the logic of likes and follows, our sense of self-worth tied to digital clout.

We are living in the shadow of the machine, every move tracked, every desire predicted and packaged for sale. The internet had its golden age, and we forgot all about it. We took a collaborative miracle and turned it into just another tool; handed over the keys to the kingdom, and now reaping the bitter rewards.

Toward a better internet

Perhaps not all is lost. Even as the internet of olden times recedes into the murky shadows of ancestral memory, there remain glimmers of hope, pockets of resistance against the all-consuming logic of capitalism. In the rise of decentralized technologies and peer-to-peer networks (I love torrents, “Arrgh, matey!”), we discover the potential for a new kind of internet, one that returns power to the hands of users rather than corporations. In the growing demand for data privacy and algorithmic transparency, we see perhaps the early stirrings of a public awakening, a recognition that our online lives have consequences that extend beyond the screen.

The internet is not dead, but it is broken. To fix it, we must first recognize the depth and scale of the problem. We must confront the fact that the very business models that dominate the web — the relentless monetization of attention, the strip-mining of personal data, ads, so many loving ads — are fundamentally incompatible with a healthy, thriving digital, and hence analog, public sphere. We must demand a new deal for the internet, one that puts people and communities first. Substack, in some ways, had the right ideas while almost entirely failing in execution. I cannot accept that a Google search gives you fifteen sponsored ads first.

This will not be easy. The forces of surveillance capitalism are deeply, very, very deeply, entrenched, and they will not relinquish their power willingly. But the stakes are really loving high. The internet is not just a tool or a pastime — it is, in some ways — though not to overstate its significance — the nervous system of the 21st century, the connective tissue that binds our world together. If we lose the battle for the internet, we risk losing something fundamental indeed.

Reimagine what online life could be — a true commons, a space for genuine connection and collaboration, for creativity and community, and the free exchange of ideas without succumbing to the free-speech-also-means-hate-speech fallacy. Let us build an internet worthy of the utopian visions that birthed it, an internet that brings out the best in us rather than the worst. How? I don’t know, man.

I just know that we cannot let this be our legacy. The internet may have lost its way, but it’s not entirely too late to chart a new course. Soon, everything will be AI, and if we do nothing it will be so very, very boring

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Remember the early days of the internet? (I was born in 1992, so I do.)

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

My "Ready to rescue a Wall Street bank" statement has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my statement

lmao

don’t worry guys, would be a shame if something happened but….

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pull your money out, store it in your mattress

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm still patriotic about our labor micro data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

RE: $10K Chinese electric cars

:hmmyes:

I heard Richard Wolff talking about this. It seems like Chinese EV's would still be mad profitable in us even with a 7k tarrif. I mean that's like 25k price point and still leaves like 7k for expenses and profit. And that's before roping the client into financing. So why aren't american companies importing these?