Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

What's the effective difference between the orbital gatling and orbital airburst? Especially vs bugs since I'd love a better way to clear out swarms, ideally in a way that kills bile spitters.

Gatling has about 2/3 of the cooldown of the airbust but probably about 2/3 of the effectiveness as well, given the randomness of the bullets a few enemies tend to trickle through. I find their AOE to be pretty similar.

Given the airburst already has a cooldown that isn't too long, I don't think it has a real advantage but I would rate it as 'use-able if you want a super short cooldown stratagem, but are OK with it being a little unreliable'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

gently caress yeah quaser is #1 3

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LazyMaybe posted:

They only have a 'comparable fire rate' if you are assuming both are firing just one shot. If you're firing repeated shots, railgun has a much better sustained rate of fire than the quasar does with its cooldown.

i think one shot is a pretty good comparison since the things that the quaser does not one hit kill are things that the railgun can't kill at all

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
I don't think it's a very good comparison either, their only overlapping use case is taking out hulks. The railgun has way better sustained rate of fire, which means it is actually useful against hordes of devastators and striders unlike the quasar, while still being capable of taking out hulks in one shot. It has exactly one issue against bots and that's gunships, the introduction of which IMO nerfed the railguns usefulness versus bots more than the actual nerf the gun got.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Rhymenoserous posted:

It's fine but there's a goon discord in the OP that has 2-3 groups running almost 24/h a day and even more during prime USTZ

Why pub when you don't have to?

I enjoy the Goon Discord and grouping, also had good experiences quick playing with pubbies.

Had my first Bad Goon Experience this week. Lost about 10 reinforcements trying to blow up the double Gunship towers. This broke the morale of one goon and they just kept wandering into enemies and hazards and dying. Then they apparently carried a red barrel into a 2nd goon and suicide bombed them, which did crack everyone up.

Finally the 2nd goon suffers a critical morale loss and starts berating Goon 1 and micromanaging their movement over comms. Goon 2 is also laser focused on obtaining samples despite the fact we are now at 0 reinforcements.

I told Goon 2 to knock it off and they did.

Also had a mission where the game glitched and the pelican never came which totally sucked and we lost 30 samples.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The railgun nerf significantly hurt its ability to take down striders and heavy devastators, and generally weakened it against all devastators since you need more charge to pen/kill all of them now.

The only thing that was ever overpowered about the railgun is a bug that let it do 10x regular damage against bile titans under ‘circumstances’ and the nerf was an overreaction to everybody using it because other options sucked, particularly for bugs. The autocannon was always competitive with the old railgun against bots and they made the other options suck less.

Unnerf the Railgun.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

space uncle posted:

I enjoy the Goon Discord and grouping, also had good experiences quick playing with pubbies.

Had my first Bad Goon Experience this week. Lost about 10 reinforcements trying to blow up the double Gunship towers. This broke the morale of one goon and they just kept wandering into enemies and hazards and dying. Then they apparently carried a red barrel into a 2nd goon and suicide bombed them, which did crack everyone up.

Finally the 2nd goon suffers a critical morale loss and starts berating Goon 1 and micromanaging their movement over comms. Goon 2 is also laser focused on obtaining samples despite the fact we are now at 0 reinforcements.

Also had a mission where the game glitched and the pelican never came which totally sucked and we lost 30 samples.

Good Grief.

Disasters are part of the storytelling of this game and goon #2 whiffed it. Suicide bomber goon ace though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sockerbagarn posted:

I don't think it's a very good comparison either, their only overlapping use case is taking out hulks. The railgun has way better sustained rate of fire, which means it is actually useful against hordes of devastators and striders unlike the quasar, while still being capable of taking out hulks in one shot. It has exactly one issue against bots and that's gunships, the introduction of which IMO nerfed the railguns usefulness versus bots more than the actual nerf the gun got.

if we're going for this comparison then it's like an AMR that does slightly more damage in exchange for having a slower rate of fire, less ammo and also potentially killing you. still not exactly good

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

We should be able to find jetpacks/supply backpacks/etc like we can find support weapons

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the railgun is a lot like the dominator where it isn't good enough to justify its downsides when other weapons fill the same or similar roles as well or better. like the dominator has a projectile trial that makes it hard to see what you're shooting, a very low projectile velocity, a low rate of fire, pretty high recoil, and it handles like an auto canon all in exchange for it being about as good as the scorcher, a gun which has effectively none of those issues

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

johnny park posted:

We should be able to find jetpacks/supply backpacks/etc like we can find support weapons

Since we can find malfunctioning drop pods I think yes absolutely a few of them should randomly be jackpot ones

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

space uncle posted:

Pictured: That Goon

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

the railgun is a lot like the dominator where it isn't good enough to justify its downsides when other weapons fill the same or similar roles as well or better. like the dominator has a projectile trial that makes it hard to see what you're shooting, a very low projectile velocity, a low rate of fire, pretty high recoil, and it handles like an auto canon all in exchange for it being about as good as the scorcher, a gun which has effectively none of those issues

Scorcher does 0 stagger damage which is a big advantage the JAR has over it. Just ask a devastator.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The railgun just seems like a fundamentally boring weapon to me so I don't really mind it getting nerfed, or even just removed.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Martout posted:

Since we can find malfunctioning drop pods I think yes absolutely a few of them should randomly be jackpot ones

I actually forgot about these since I see them so rarely lol

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

if we're going for this comparison then it's like an AMR that does slightly more damage in exchange for having a slower rate of fire, less ammo and also potentially killing you. still not exactly good

It's much more comparable to the AMR, I agree. While it has about half the ammo count of the AMR the higher damage per shot ends up being quite significant to counteract that, as it's able to one shot striders, devastators without having score a headshot, and hulks in the eye. The AMR has it beat against radiators, which means you usually want to pair the railgun with impact grenades over stuns, but that's my preference anyway. I think the AMR is overall slightly better, and a more complete package since it can deal with gunships effectively, but in no way is the railgun bad.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Scorcher also does less damage than a slugger if you don't need the small aoe to break through front plates to the point that if I want a snappy mid-ranged sniper I'm just gonna go with the slugger still.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Gorelab posted:

Scorcher also does less damage than a slugger if you don't need the small aoe to break through front plates to the point that if I want a snappy mid-ranged sniper I'm just gonna go with the slugger still.

I'm starting to wonder if something is fucky with the head hitboxes on berserkers and devastators when they're in their stagger animation, because I score way more headshots against both with the slugger after the nerf.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Scorcher plus Autocannon just tears things up on not levels so well. Just bring an eagle airstrike for if a tank gets close and you’re golden.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The thing about the Quasar is

Yeah but this doesn't tell the whole story. Numbers in general don't tell the story. The Recoilless Rifle with team loading is 100% incredible on paper but it turns out nobody wants to be the ammo bitch.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

johnny park posted:

I found my first backpack random spawn (Liberator gun dog) after like a hundred hours of play, so maybe they're just super rare.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The thing about the Quasar is

by all means demonstrate a dropship getting knocked out of the sky by the laser pistol and you'll make a convert of me.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

space uncle posted:

Double Gunship towers are lobby clearing events. Not excusing whoever was doing that but I’ve led a few failed 8+ that collapse at the tower then it’s 1/4 in the channel.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Owlbear Camus posted:

by all means demonstrate a dropship getting knocked out of the sky by the laser pistol and you'll make a convert of me.

A helldiver blowing on a quasar to cool it down faster after dropping one of the three dropships landing nearby

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Im questioning conventional wisdom of splitting up on harder difficulties, I feel you need a very fast time to kill, especially against heavy stuff to stop the heavy armour murderball forming. I just don't think thats possible on suicidal or above. You will just get endless breaches or drops which two people or a solo will not have the firepower to kill before the next bunch appear and before long you will have 10 hulks or chargers oneshotting reinforcements before they can get out of the pod. Against bugs thats not too bad because you can kite then but against bots eventually a pile of devastators will crest a hill a ragdoll you to death with explosions.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Black Noise posted:

Double Gunship towers are lobby clearing events. Not excusing whoever was doing that but I’ve led a few failed 8+ that collapse at the tower then it’s 1/4 in the channel.

Yeah I had one go wrong the other night. I suspect we’d have been fine if the auto cannons held back and killed drop ships as they spawned while the other two fought their way in to get the hellbomb, but there was way too much confusion in the group and it turned into a hell march right off the side of a cliff.

I kept killing the drop ships then calling in the hellbomb myself then bot drops would land on me, the drop ships respawned and the hellbomb and myself would get Merced.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

space uncle posted:

Goons lost to a dwarf fortress tantrum spiral

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

Im questioning conventional wisdom of splitting up on harder difficulties, I feel you need a very fast time to kill, especially against heavy stuff to stop the heavy armour murderball forming. I just don't think thats possible on suicidal or above. You will just get endless breaches or drops which two people or a solo will not have the firepower to kill before the next bunch appear and before long you will have 10 hulks or chargers oneshotting reinforcements before they can get out of the pod. Against bugs thats not too bad because you can kite then but against bots eventually a pile of devastators will crest a hill a ragdoll you to death with explosions.

On the other hand, I feel that splitting up against bots is way easier than against bugs. It's a lot easier to craft a multipurpose loadout against bots (an AC, stuns, and 500kgs will take you a lot way against anything but the largest of hulk/tank swarms) and taking out their bases with the toss of a strategem or even just an AC shot is way easier than it is for bugs. You're also faster than most bots, unlike the bugs who can keep up a lot better, so it's a lot easier to slip away if you get in over your head soloing. Yeah that murderball may form, but if there is any kind of useful terrain at all you can probably slip away (and come back with several airstrikes ready to go if need be).

The easiest bot missions I've found have generally been two pairs splitting off and booking it if it looks like they'll get overwhelmed.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 10, 2024

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Gorelab posted:

The devs have said the damage of direct fire explosive weapons is displayed wrong. It only displays the direct hit damage and not the explosive damage, so you cannot trust visible damage numbers in this case

Drone_Fragger posted:

...You will just get endless breaches or drops which two people or a solo will not have the firepower to kill before the next bunch appear and before long you will have 10 hulks or chargers oneshotting reinforcements before they can get out of the pod...

You shouldn't be fighting them anyway in that case. As soon as it starts to get away from you if you are solo or only have one friend around just book it, leave. Most enemies don't chase too hard. Stop trying to dig down as a way out of a hole and it works much better.

You do that to stand and fight. Sometimes aggressively stupid and bad. Even at objectives.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Splitting up is mostly a matter of how good you are at running away/evading patrols.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

sometimes the boat murdered you

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Fangz posted:

Splitting up is mostly a matter of how good you are at running away/evading patrols.

I find this to be very accurate

Edit: really when solo or duo as soon as I see a flare or a bug fart I just leave. Let it respawn. Keep moving away from it.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

BitBasher posted:

The devs have said the damage of direct fire explosive weapons is displayed wrong. It only displays the direct hit damage and not the explosive damage, so you cannot trust visible damage numbers in this case

You shouldn't be fighting them anyway in that case. As soon as it starts to get away from you if you are solo or only have one friend around just book it, leave. Most enemies don't chase too hard. Stop trying to dig down as a way out of a hole and it works much better.

You do that to stand and fight. Sometimes aggressively stupid and bad. Even at objectives.

Last patch changed that. It used to show as 100 now it does as 200, same with the plasma punisher.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

BitBasher posted:

I find this to be very accurate

Edit: really when solo or duo as soon as I see a flare or a bug fart I just leave. Let it respawn. Keep moving away from it.

Neat! I'll have to look at some numbers when I get home.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

FrancisFukyomama posted:

2 cats?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Yeah, those are the other two guns that are too universally effective. Nerf the whole podium.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Slyphic posted:

Yeah, those are the other two guns that are too universally effective. Nerf the whole podium.

Hwurmp posted:

yes, Democracy Officer, this post right here

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Now that you mention it, I haven't been using the EAT all that much since the AC is pretty great if your aim is good. Yeah, maybe I should look at a sentry or another orbital for that slot. Walking barrage+380 barrage/sentry+eagle airstrike+AC?

If you want to keep a backup option for dealing with Hulks/Tanks then I'd suggest the orbital railcannon. Low cooldown, incredibly consistent, lets you keep focusing on berserkers and devastators with the AC

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Recoilless Rifle with team loading is 100% incredible on paper but it turns out nobody wants to be the ammo bitch.
The winning move is having a buddy and both of you dropping with RRs. You switch off team reloading. It's wildly fun on bugs. Bots, it's too risky, you inevitably eat a rocket. But when I play with a friend, unless they want to try something new out, it's what I suggest we run for maximum explosion fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
the railgun should be replaced with a space musket that makes just comical clouds of smoke and an enormous bang in exchange for a buff