Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Well they announced Slay the Spire II so everything else can go directly to hell.

idk what it is with that genre but I played 50-60 hours of Slay the Spire back when it came out/enjoyed it and was all roguelike deckbuildered out for the rest of my life + my eyes glaze over when I see a screenshot of a game with cards and some guys facing each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Infinitum posted:

Dragonflight redesigned all the core game systems of WoW off the back of 2 back-to-back dogshit grind-a-paloozas expansions in Battle for Azeroth & Shadowlands.

It's in a really really good spot now to just jump in, play the game, and be rewarded - instead of doing extra chores on an endless treadmill.
Dragonflight will probably be remembered as one of the best expansions they've put out, and I'd probably rate it next to Wrath in terms of quality.

Season 4 launches April 23rd, and it's basically the victory lap season before the next expansion, War Within, as all the main story lines are now complete.

I don't actually think endless treadmills in a game are necessarily a bad thing in a game where the gameplay is compelling and enjoyable, as it gives something to work on. Very contextual to specific gameplay though, and absolutely more often than not it's done poorly or just drive engagement rather than giving any kind of meaningful satisfaction or reward.

But that doesn't apply to MMOs. I've yet to see compelling and good gameplay from a single one. I'm glad you enjoy it, even if it baffles me. Tried WoW way back at the beginning, wasn't for me, even changed significantly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kerrzhe posted:

as i was going through the end of the leveling story and getting towards unlocking the endgame raids and stuff, at one point when i first logged in one day i was immediately shown a cutscene full of characters i had never met talking about things i had no idea of. it was a cutscene showing story progression from the most current raid, which i hadn't unlocked yet, and just confused the hell out of me. the game didn't care that i wasn't caught up, it showed that cutscene to everyone i assume. having come from several years of FF14 this was kind of a shock. the game was spoiling itself to me. there was another instance of confusing cutscenes involving the evoker/dracthyr starting area, which has some cool animatics as part of the story, but not all of them (they came out on youtube before the expansion launched, so i knew i was missing something) and that was confusing as hell too.

and even for non-story related stuff, there's a whole new crafting system that i tried to interact with but ultimately didn't get anything out of. there's a system to put up crafting orders to and for other players, but every time i tried to do my own, the order board was basically empty. i had joined too late in the expansion, nobody wanted crafted gear anymore. i think i tried queueing up for the first raid but since it was such old content i would have had to wait in the queue forever. the big cavern area that was supposed to serve as the endgame world quest place was also just a big uggh for me. i think i am good on ever doing world quests ever again

Nah these are valid complaints. If there's one thing WoW sucks at is keeping older content relevant, and basically drags the playerbase as a whole along for the ride; regardless of where they're at in the playthrough. The upside of that is that you're always engaging with the latest relevant content, the downside is that returning players will oft times miss story beats as you've mentioned.

FF14 is good with keeping story phases evergreen, and it's something I hope WoW will eventually do (But it's pretty doubtful)

As for crafting? Yeah... you either got in early or you didn't. This was their first iteration of the new crafting system, so I'm hoping they take a bunch of lessons to apply it towards War Within.
You shouldn't feel alone in your frustration wrt crafting, as the community pretty much shares them.

They introduced companion AI for solo dungeon running at your own pace pretty recently. Maybe down the road they'll roll it out to raids as well.

Evil Kit posted:

But that doesn't apply to MMOs. I've yet to see compelling and good gameplay from a single one. I'm glad you enjoy it, even if it baffles me. Tried WoW way back at the beginning, wasn't for me, even changed significantly.

Nah yeah, it's good to recognise what genres you enjoy.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 10, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

idk what it is with that genre but I played 50-60 hours of Slay the Spire back when it came out/enjoyed it and was all roguelike deckbuildered out for the rest of my life + my eyes glaze over when I see a screenshot of a game with cards and some guys facing each other

my ultimate problem with roguelike deckbuilders is that they're fun for the first little while when your primary goal is stitching together a build out of what you're given and flexing your creative muscle, but they quickly become tedious once you get into higher difficulty settings due to the importance of luck mitigation and card efficiency. you typically end up with a deck built around a single central gimmick (usually exponentially increasing damage/defense) that's then padded with enough retain and redraw to avoid poo poo draw curves, and so the only real gambler's high left is whether you get the relics/augments/whatever you need to meet the necessary attack/defense threshholds to win

you do get the occasional neat gimmick like dead branch that's fun to play with, but it's rare to get those pieces early enough to build around, and having to slog through a bunch of what often feel like autopilot runs to get those gleaming nuggets rarely feels worth it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I can't believe The Rogue Prince of Persia is real. Looked neat.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New Prince of Persia. Roguelike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZzOxEK7hXo

Looks pretty dope

vvvv longer first impresions video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRO0foArLY

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Two good 2D prince of persia games in one year? Wild

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hey why did Wanted Dead become an anime all of a sudden

E: what the gently caress

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 57 minutes!
I always thought the panda expansion was the one that made everyone leave WoW?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

were there any good dungeons/bosses/etc from ff14 1.0 that people miss

theres basically only one boss in 1.0 that isnt 'repeated' in 2.0

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Same, but Demon's Souls.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey why did Wanted Dead become an anime all of a sudden

E: what the gently caress

Wanted Dead does what it wants and gently caress you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

credburn posted:

the decline pretty clearly starts with the backhalf of cata and kinda goes unabated. beyond legion actually bringing some people back and a spike for later expac releases.

it kicks in fully with mop but it feels not quite right to blame it since its largely just the negative momentum from cata. mop is also generally looked back on as a generally decent expansion, partly because its sandwiched between two terrible ones

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Y'all seen they got games on Netflix browser now? Like playing babys first Newgrounds games but in worse resolution.
poinpys on there so shut your loving mouth

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

credburn posted:

I think what made people leave WoW is the same thing that made people quite other MMORPGs- the common world aspect is mostly a hindrance and almost every mp game has the progression that used to make wow more unique, there's still people left, but it's just not as unique as an experience as it used to be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why is there a narrator

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hilarious that Ubisoft is cannibalizing a great PoP game with another one immediately, fascinating company lol

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

DLC Inc posted:

hilarious that Ubisoft is cannibalizing a great PoP game with another one immediately, fascinating company lol

more information

what are they doing now?

and what is PoP

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xoFcitcrA posted:

more information

what are they doing now?

and what is PoP

prince of persia, and releasing a second prince of persia game five months after the previous one

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

haveblue posted:

prince of persia, and releasing a second prince of persia game five months after the previous one

Wait, so they had two teams working on Prince of Persia games at the same time?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the second one is made by the dead cells team

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

either thats true or I dreamed it. can't say

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

the second one is made by the dead cells team

Is this good or bad?

Does Jordan Mechner still have anything to do with his series?

Why do I feel so old?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

jordan mechner died

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I would like to see Digital Eclipse do The Making of Prince of Persia

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I forget the bbccode for quotes but homeless snail was like "jordan mechner died"

My grandparents used the term "pizza pies" to describe pizzas because that's what they were called when they became popular in the USA. They grew up without electricity and got driver's licences before they required a test to get them.

I feel old.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I feel like it would turn out like one of Matt McMuscles "Wha Happened" game documentaries, if you were talking about the series

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

xoFcitcrA posted:

I forget the bbccode for quotes but homeless snail was like "jordan mechner died"

My grandparents used the term "pizza pies" to describe pizzas because that's what they were called when they became popular in the USA. They grew up without electricity and got driver's licences before they required a test to get them.

I feel old.

https://twitter.com/TRHLofficial/status/1612910432506810368/video/1

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

haha

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ars technia had a mini-doc on prince of persia as part of their war stories series. it's not fully fledged, but it does go a bit into the production process, and even has some of the rotoscoping footage of the guy's brother doing the iconic forward jump in a parking lot

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 is probably worth a dollar?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How much do you like blowing up hundreds of ants with a rocket launcher

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

yes

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
and Ridge Racer Unbounded (I checked, it's not Unbound) for under two dollars?

haveblue posted:

How much do you like blowing up hundreds of ants with a rocket launcher

guess I'll find out

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Illegal access to Nothung?!

SOMEBODY'S HACKING INTO SPRITEFALL :kingsley:

edit: Air Raider is the best class because you get to hang out with all your friends like Midnight, Charon, Whale, Crazy Satellite Lady, and Crazier Satellite Lady.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

How much do you like blowing up hundreds of giant insects with a rocket launcher

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Do you enjoy going on thrilling underground adventures

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I should warn you the next game has some very human-looking enemies if that bothers you. It's uncanny. They're just like us.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saint Freak posted:

edit: Air Raider is the best class because you get to hang out with all your friends like Midnight, Charon, Whale, Crazy Satellite Lady, and Crazier Satellite Lady.

RELEASE THE FORBIDDEN POWER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

yes

Also, if you liked Overwatch, you can see where they stole Pharah from. Down to the details of control handling. That's what got me into Overwatch