Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's more about competing conventions than either set of names really being better. Marvel & DC iconic heroes tend to be pretty literal and blunt. Now if Mark had met the Fantastic Four, there'd be a more fun group to unpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wish these X-Men '97 eps were 45 minutes. They're just rushing through soooo much stuff without giving it a chance to breath.

That said, the retro segments were A+ with all the little easter eggs. I also liked Forge's photo of the government X-Force team. :allears:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRswUMb6Qlc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I wish these X-Men '97 eps were 45 minutes. They're just rushing through soooo much stuff without giving it a chance to breath.

That said, the retro segments were A+ with all the little easter eggs. I also liked Forge's photo of the government X-Force team. :allears:

I think Invincible is the first action cartoon produced for the US that defaults to hour long episodes, maybe ever.

The first 2 seasons of Justice League feel like they were considering it, as almost every story is a two-parter, meaning they fill an hour-long slot quite easily.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gaz-L posted:

I think Invincible is the first action cartoon produced for the US that defaults to hour long episodes, maybe ever.

The first 2 seasons of Justice League feel like they were considering it, as almost every story is a two-parter, meaning they fill an hour-long slot quite easily.

I might be misremembering but isn't every single episode of JL before becoming JLU straight up a two or three parter? Like I don't think they actually have any 30-minute one-and-done episodes, do they?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I might be misremembering but isn't every single episode of JL before becoming JLU straight up a two or three parter? Like I don't think they actually have any 30-minute one-and-done episodes, do they?

There's a few 3 parters, and the Xmas episode is one and done.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dazzler is coming back it seems

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1777380895176999091

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Preview of the next episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wdJQ87g2aE

Feels weird to have Nightcrawler calling other people the X-Men when to me he’s normally a core member.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Well he wasn't on the team in the original TAS. And in the comics he hadn't been on the team for a good while (and wouldn't rejoin until the late 90s).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

iceyman posted:

Well he wasn't on the team in the original TAS. And in the comics he hadn't been on the team for a good while (and wouldn't rejoin until the late 90s).

Yes but that was before my time, I was born around the time the original series was coming out.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Gaz-L posted:

There's a few 3 parters, and the Xmas episode is one and done.

Huh, I adore the Christmas one but I forgot that was JL and not LU.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So... about X-Men not pulling from Morrison or later... (I definitely thought they weren't going to)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Gaz-L posted:

So... about X-Men not pulling from Morrison or later... (I definitely thought they weren't going to)

Let's be real, there's kinda slim pickins between where the show ended and where New X-Men begins.

Although given that the original show already had a diet Fatal Attractions, I wonder if we're going to get a different take on boneless Wolverine and the Xavier/Magneto whammy that creates Onslaught

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I said it in TV IV, but doing the psychic cheating story but with Maddie as the 'other woman' is a clever change.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's funny that the inferno episode felt like it was cramming too much in, but this had so much going on but didn't feel like it was being rushed

also, like, drat.

i guess that's why the watcher was watching

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Let's be real, there's kinda slim pickins between where the show ended and where New X-Men begins.

Although given that the original show already had a diet Fatal Attractions, I wonder if we're going to get a different take on boneless Wolverine and the Xavier/Magneto whammy that creates Onslaught

Wolverine in '97 is one of the more consistent complaints I've seen. I haven't watched the show but apparently it has been nothing but "mope about Jean" since the start. Sure, TAS Wolverine did that, too, but it wasn't all he did.

But somebody on CBR theorizes that losing his adamantium skeleton is something '97 can actually do now and that Wolverine will shine in the finale. We shall see.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

it's funny that the inferno episode felt like it was cramming too much in, but this had so much going on but didn't feel like it was being rushed

also, like, drat.

i guess that's why the watcher was watching

Uatu pouring one out for a real one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Loving how Maddie's getting a fair shake in this series. She had the understandable initial meltdown but is moving on as best she can.

It does feel like the series seems to be setting up/do the old 'team breaks up/falls apart' thing, a good X staple. Jean resenting giving up the cosmos for Scott and the X-Men, Storm losing her powers and going walkabout, Rogue and Mags looking towards community leadership roles, Bishop going back to the future with Nate, Gambit doing his thang this ep...

While you'd normally expect the line up to largely remain the same in shows like this, the possibility of bringing in some All New, All Different X-Men doesn't seem so outlandish all of a sudden.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sentinel Red posted:

Loving how Maddie's getting a fair shake in this series. She had the understandable initial meltdown but is moving on as best she can.

It does feel like the series seems to be setting up/do the old 'team breaks up/falls apart' thing, a good X staple. Jean resenting giving up the cosmos for Scott and the X-Men, Storm losing her powers and going walkabout, Rogue and Mags looking towards community leadership roles, Bishop going back to the future with Nate, Gambit doing his thang this ep...

While you'd normally expect the line up to largely remain the same in shows like this, the possibility of bringing in some All New, All Different X-Men doesn't seem so outlandish all of a sudden.

I'm thinking at least a flash-forward to the cast in Morrison era New X-men outfits.

I'll tell you how good the ep was: Last one was (half) a Storm episode ending on a cliffhanger, and I didn't even notice they didn't pick up the thread this week.

Edit: And how established are the early days of the X-men in the TAS continuity? They've been showing the picture of the original Kirby'd up lineup of Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren, was it previously established Hank turned blue due to a failed experiment in this one? Just that things could be heading toward secondary mutations and lion Beast, which for him could be another naturally occuring change here

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 10, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

NikkolasKing posted:

Wolverine in '97 is one of the more consistent complaints I've seen. I haven't watched the show but apparently it has been nothing but "mope about Jean" since the start. Sure, TAS Wolverine did that, too, but it wasn't all he did.

But somebody on CBR theorizes that losing his adamantium skeleton is something '97 can actually do now and that Wolverine will shine in the finale. We shall see.

I get the feeling the show is trying to pull back from Wolverine being quite the spotlight hog that he is in so much X-Media. And understandably so. But that does mean that what he IS given to do is mostly ancillary to Jean and Scott, which people have had thirty years to get sick of.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

OnimaruXLR posted:

I get the feeling the show is trying to pull back from Wolverine being quite the spotlight hog that he is in so much X-Media. And understandably so. But that does mean that what he IS given to do is mostly ancillary to Jean and Scott, which people have had thirty years to get sick of.

Maybe we're heading into the period of about 4 X-teams with Logan on all of them.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.ign.com/articles/x-men-97-original-wolverine-and-rogue-voice-actors-had-to-re-audition-to-be-on-the-new-series

quote:

"There is a magical YouTube video called 'Cyclops Says Jean a Lot,' " Chase explained. "It's just nothing but him going, 'Jean! Jean! Jean! JEAN! JEEEEAN!' I met Ross Marquand last week at a convention and he said it's his also go-to for getting into the Professor X voice. Just saying 'Jean.' There's something about that name that just gets you into the X-Men-verse."

He went on to say that they struggled with figuring out what Cyclops' "level of dorkiness" would be in Chase's iteration.

"I said the line about Gambit - 'all he cares about are his stupid beignets' - like 100 times in varying degrees of whininess," Chase went on. "And over the course of like, months of recording, we settled into a voice where he's really getting into his role as a leader and he's calming down a bit, especially with the story of him and Jean and sort of being less of a boy scout. He still has that mentality, but not so much."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRwkcV1VL7k

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe we're heading into the period of about 4 X-teams with Logan on all of them.

NOW WAIT JUST ONE MINUTE HERE!

I saw this (and the other parody flashes) forever ago and I love that actual comics basically repeat the joke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sometimes I think it would be fun to take a character and just go through marking every single passage of time documented in their books to figure out the absolute bare minimum amount of time they could take place over is.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What a wild and great episode

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I am so loving heated after today's episode I feel like *I* need to go fight a motherfucker.

Good drat poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

drat before the season I never thought they would go there, but as this episode I kept thinking that they were, then when I saw the Watcher I knew some poo poo was about to go down.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

Uatu pouring one out for a real one.

What if s3 crossover incoming

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can we also just acknowledge how good the show's version of Kurt is? The smile, the constant bamfing, the teasing and jokes but tinged with actual wisdom and understanding of human nature. Just...
*mwah*

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The entire episode just blew me the gently caress away.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vandar posted:

This is Storm erasure.

I'm finally starting '97 and I gotta say, I didn't have great memories of TAS Storm. This is wha I remember from TAS Storm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

The epitome of the cheesiness I can't really enjoy about TAS anymore.

But of the returning VAs for '97, she is far and away the best. Given a good script and direction, she really does shine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm finally starting '97 and I gotta say, I didn't have great memories of TAS Storm. This is wha I remember from TAS Storm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rj1B3l9gE

The epitome of the cheesiness I can't really enjoy about TAS anymore.

But of the returning VAs for '97, she is far and away the best. Given a good script and direction, she really does shine.

Isn't that clip the original Storm anyway? Sealy-Smith didn't take over until the second season, I believe.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't that clip the original Storm anyway? Sealy-Smith didn't take over until the second season, I believe.

Really? I never once noticed Storm got a new VA. Maybe I really do need to do that full TAS rewatch.

(After I catch up on 5 years of comics, though)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'll admit, the ending of X-Men 97's episode 5 really got to me.

I didn't know where the hell they were going with the episode but did not expect ANY of that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I thought too much time had passed in the episode once Ace of Base came on for there to be much action this week and then HOLY loving poo poo

I really expected this to be a cheap nostalgia knockoff of a series but it's consistently blowing me away with how deep and serious and faithful it is, and then it layers on just this platonic ideal of sick superheroic action scenes with slick, sumptuous animation. What a show!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes I think it would be fun to take a character and just go through marking every single passage of time documented in their books to figure out the absolute bare minimum amount of time they could take place over is.

Legitimately something I've thought about for years. Honestly with how often characters show up across different books, it seems like it would be nearly impossible like that. I think it's better to just pick like one book, rather than one character, and just go for an entire volume of it and see.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Where was the Watcher? I must have missed that part.

This was such a mish-mash of a multitude of X-Men stories, I had no idea where they were going with this and was genuinely surprised. It had real shades of Morrison's New X-Men, the Quiet Council, Magneto joining the Hellfire Club circa New Mutants. And then Maddy continuing to be an actual character (instead of being memory holed like in the comics) is certainly a curve ball. It's like she's playing the roll of Emma in New X-Men. Speaking of, still hoping Emma can get her diamond form and join the team as the baddest bitch alive.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: And how established are the early days of the X-men in the TAS continuity? They've been showing the picture of the original Kirby'd up lineup of Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren, was it previously established Hank turned blue due to a failed experiment in this one? Just that things could be heading toward secondary mutations and lion Beast, which for him could be another naturally occuring change here

This is something TAS was inconsistent on and changed as the series went on. The first season treated the X-Men as newly minted team, no previous members and very little rogues gallery history. They had never met Magneto before. Warren Worthington had no past association with the team and no one knew him. In later seasons, they retcon this and basically imply the original five X-Men were a thing before the current line-up going so far as to feature them in a few brief flashbacks. And then in the almost series finale story, Shard makes the comment that Warren Worthington is destined to join the X-Men but had not previously.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

iceyman posted:

Where was the Watcher? I must have missed that part.

In the starry sky right as the party is getting started

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

iceyman posted:

This is something TAS was inconsistent on and changed as the series went on. The first season treated the X-Men as newly minted team, no previous members and very little rogues gallery history. They had never met Magneto before. Warren Worthington had no past association with the team and no one knew him. In later seasons, they retcon this and basically imply the original five X-Men were a thing before the current line-up going so far as to feature them in a few brief flashbacks. And then in the almost series finale story, Shard makes the comment that Warren Worthington is destined to join the X-Men but had not previously.

In the most recent episode they show a picture of the 1963 team in their original outfits. So I guess we know how things stand now.

Also Gambit went out like a badass today.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hell of an episode. I thought they took the pedal off the gas a bit last week, but goddamn, they slammed it right back down to the ground this time.

Lot of Krakoa in that Genosha, too, wasn't there? Right down to specific scenes from the end of HoX and not only the Council, but most of its members. (And the Tri-Sentinel genocide is from Morrison's run if I'm remembering correctly, so we're up to some '00s storylines being adapted now.) It kinda pisses me off all over again that the comics have abandoned Krakoa and never really did enough with it. Mutant nation stuff is new and interesting. "ha ha psych mutants, get slaughtered"? I've heard that one before, it's old. It's not the show's fault, they're adapting. I'm just annoyed at the comics and they brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 12 days!)

wow, this is the most x-men characters i seen on screen ever