Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

Just some incidental Penitent talk: One reason I got extremely giddy near the end of the book is because I've been thinking a lot about what a Chaos Imperium led by either a turned Dorne or Guilliman or an ascendant Emperor would look like (for long before TEatD), and I always come back to something that is so ordered, delineated and perfect that it's horrifying. Like a titanic fractal palace of fearful symmetries and endless repetition that just extends and extends like a cancer. The platonic ideal of order and empire as a structure so far beyond perfection that it breaks your mind. When Abnett started describing the City of Dust, and with the kicker at the end, it felt like just for a moment, our minds had run along the same track, and that's a great feeling.

Not quite the same horror you're envisioning, but Konrad ran his world with a horrifying order and ever-present dread which Fulgrim found serene and that was before they went full heresy mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZMQnClNlOA

Not quite Astartes tier but I like the Terminator future war vibes, and they're apparently Dark Angels successors.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has The Lion awakening been followed up on?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baron Porkface posted:

Has The Lion awakening been followed up on?

Apparently he's named a the end of a Dark Angels novel but otherwise no. I really thought we'd see a bunch of releases after TEATD 3 because I assumed the conclusion was gonna have an important reveal, but nope. No Pariah, no Black Legion.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

It’s possible the Lion lever got pulled a little quicker than the lore people intended for whatever reason. That’d explain the lack of follow up so far.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Blue Raider posted:

It’s possible the Lion lever got pulled a little quicker than the lore people intended for whatever reason. That’d explain the lack of follow up so far.

Meanwhile, the Votann:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Feels like Black Library might have some issues behind the scenes with the flow of books having reduced to a trickle. If it's supply issues or others I have no idea.

But Deathworlder was announced at the end of November and is going up for pre-order this week in April. Which implies there's either a release pipeline issue or supply issue.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cooked Auto posted:

Feels like Black Library might have some issues behind the scenes with the flow of books having reduced to a trickle. If it's supply issues or others I have no idea.

But Deathworlder was announced at the end of November and is going up for pre-order this week in April. Which implies there's either a release pipeline issue or supply issue.

They get their books printed in China so the speculation was stuff got held up by the houthi's being on one and the ships having to take the long way around. The announcement about those LE delays were shortly after that all popped off.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

D-Pad posted:

They get their books printed in China so the speculation was stuff got held up by the houthi's being on one and the ships having to take the long way around. The announcement about those LE delays were shortly after that all popped off.
I thought those guys were letting the Chinese ships through

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Nessus posted:

More Chinese goods come over on ships that aren't under a Chinese flag so just because it's coming from China doesn't mean it gets a pass if it's not on a Chinese owned and flagged ship. Also I think initially that deal hadn't been worked out and nobody wanted to risk it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LOL if GW loses another major shipment to a terrorist attack.

The initial Titanicus release for the US market was on the plane that was blown top over Lockerbie.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Nessus posted:

Not all ships that do that route sail under the chinese flag.

E: Beaten.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

mllaneza posted:

The initial Titanicus release for the US market was on the plane that was blown top over Lockerbie.

:stonklol:

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, I figure it's mainly a supply issue behind it.

Although it feels like there has been a rather slow rate of new books being announced, most of the time it's just been reprints. So there might be more going on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/CGTester/status/1775871351862993262?s=20

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mllaneza posted:

thats nuts. i always wonder how much like stuff like that gets lost by accident or hosed up horrible poo poo like that. like obviously lives mean more but it must be nuts to lose a shipment or a package in a major disaster completly unrelated to you.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Containers just plain fall off of ships all the time!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats nuts. i always wonder how much like stuff like that gets lost by accident or hosed up horrible poo poo like that. like obviously lives mean more but it must be nuts to lose a shipment or a package in a major disaster completly unrelated to you.

I recall something about an entire shipment of kickstarted/limited edition Goku figurines vanishing overboard in a storm.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

mllaneza posted:

Containers just plain fall off of ships all the time!

I know of a Canadian reserve infantry regiment that lost all of its brand new kilts it had just ordered were washed overboard in a container... and subsequently became a hazard to navigation!

At least until it sank. Presumably there is a substantial population of highland clams in tartan somewhere off Nova Scotia.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Happens all the time, belive me. Stolen trucks, accidents, missplaced cargo and all that jazz. Life in logistics is never boring.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Occasionally, Vin Diesel will hijack your truck to steal DVD players.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Preechr posted:

Occasionally, Vin Diesel will hijack your truck to steal DVD players unsold copies of Battle for the Abyss

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

But one of those things currently has no value, and the other never had any value?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Da Big Dakka was as great as I'd hoped, and Harry Myers read the hell out of it.

Still bit of a shame about the Meklord and the Tekwaaaaagh, good fun and unique, they was. No stoppin' Ufthak, though.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/Blacklibrary/comments/1bxdi25/morningafternoon_all_welcome_to_black_libraries/

Noah Van Nguyen is doing an AMA over on reddit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/04/07/sunday-preview-green-or-gold/

You want some books? Of course ya do!

A bunch of books going up for pre-order next weekend.

First up there's the special edition of Mike Brooks' Da Big Dakka, limited to 1500 copies.

For the mortals realms we first have Dead Kingdom, the new Cado Exechiar book by John French.

Available in the usual first wave formats; hardback, eBook, and MP3 audiobook.

Then there's the paperback release of Children of Teclis by Evan Dicken.

Supposedly a "modern classic Lumineth Realm-lords adventure" but who can say. v:v:v

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Reading the twice dead king since I heard good things about it and I find it fascinating. Particularly the times when the books mention things in passing like how they don't focus too much on how they don't breathe anymore, or they can go into panic. It's just very interesting to see how old biological imperatives still linger and how it affects them still. It (and many other things) also indicates to me that the Necrons don't know their own uploaded minds work, nor how biotransference worked.

If they knew how their minds worked it would be no problem to reprogram themselves to get rid of such things, they would have little problems with degradation and mental disorders. But it's obvious their minds are still something of a black box to them even if they hav more understanding than most biological species. They must know something since they are able to make copies of themselves that are focused on certain aspects, but it must be a cruder type of procedure.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I'm a little late, but Titanicus had the best portrayal of the Skitarii, as beastial gladiator style warriors. Sucked as then Mechanicus faction was released and was kinda lame in comparison.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Just finished Warboss, I loved Orks before it, now I have entered some new plane of existence.

I wish snaggy had gotten properly hosed over by Gork/Mork as it wud ave bean well funny, or actually made it to Grotboss

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

ed balls balls man posted:

I'm a little late, but Titanicus had the best portrayal of the Skitarii, as beastial gladiator style warriors. Sucked as then Mechanicus faction was released and was kinda lame in comparison.

If nothing else, the universe is definitely big enough for both kinds of skitarii to exist!

I actually found some pretty badass fanart of the invictus skitarii

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Titanticus Skitarii were a direct influence on my hosed up little admech guys. Normal Skitarii are so boring.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

notaspy posted:

Just finished Warboss, I loved Orks before it, now I have entered some new plane of existence.

I wish snaggy had gotten properly hosed over by Gork/Mork as it wud ave bean well funny, or actually made it to Grotboss

Snaggy shows up again in Da Big Dakka.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Reading the twice dead king since I heard good things about it and I find it fascinating. Particularly the times when the books mention things in passing like how they don't focus too much on how they don't breathe anymore, or they can go into panic. It's just very interesting to see how old biological imperatives still linger and how it affects them still. It (and many other things) also indicates to me that the Necrons don't know their own uploaded minds work, nor how biotransference worked.

If they knew how their minds worked it would be no problem to reprogram themselves to get rid of such things, they would have little problems with degradation and mental disorders. But it's obvious their minds are still something of a black box to them even if they hav more understanding than most biological species. They must know something since they are able to make copies of themselves that are focused on certain aspects, but it must be a cruder type of procedure.

I suspect it varies a lot and individuals like Trazyn and Orikan are clearly a lot more clued in on the process and what they can/can't achieve in their bodies. Most if Oltyx's gang seem to be the equivalent of Necron hicks.

It's like being able to drive a car, you don't need to be an engineer to drive one but if you want to understand the workings of it you need to have done your homework.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Plus, Oltyx was the prince of a fairly minor dynasty who's main concerns were war and court drama. He can obviously use his body to its fullest but has no idea exactly how anything functions on a deeper level. On the other hand, Mentep had a much better grasp on the Necron mind and how to duplicate it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

His Divine Shadow posted:

It's explicitly stated in the second book (major spoiler) that basically only the crypteks know anything about how necron technology works because of how advanced it is. Most of them just know it works and ascribe it to their divine heka manifesting. Especially since admitting ignorance would be strictly against their social code.

it's also unclear whether the dysphoria is because Oltyx is susceptible to that curse of longing

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Speaking of which, I hope Am-heht eventually pops up in some other story.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I mean, Oltyx directly admits to royals receiving specific training on how to -pretend- to understand Necron science so they don't look bad while talking to crypteks and commanding their forces.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sephyr posted:

I mean, Oltyx directly admits to royals receiving specific training on how to -pretend- to understand Necron science so they don't look bad while talking to crypteks and commanding their forces.

I missed so much from those books

So necrons are Orks, the green makes sense now

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sephyr posted:

For an IRL example one just needs to look at Phaeron Musk

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think it also varies quite a bit by Necron noble, Trazyn seems to to be significantly more well versed in Necrons science than Oltyx, to the point that he helped Cawl turn the Pylons on. Trazyn, despite being more of a humanities major (necronities?), he seems to get the gist at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

I think it also varies quite a bit by Necron noble, Trazyn seems to to be significantly more well versed in Necrons science than Oltyx, to the point that he helped Cawl turn the Pylons on. Trazyn, despite being more of a humanities major (necronities?), he seems to get the gist at least

Trazyn being interested in the understanding of technology makes sense, he needs to in order to operate his tools and properly archive his collection.

You average overlord more interested in conquest and the military tho has advisors to worry about that junk.