Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

[Fred voice] Willllllllllllma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

keep punching joe posted:

These included posts featuring the debunked viral claim that Humza Yousaf said there are “too many white people in Scotland” and tweets claiming that Scottish Government aid to Gaza was going to Hamas.

Last month, Brown also liked a racist post telling an Indian man who was expressing his love for England and its flag “you will NEVER be an Englishman” and “it is not your flag”.

It has now also emerged she has liked several posts that claim the Scottish Parliament should be “shut down” or “brought under special measures by the British Government”.

Proud of our future elected representative, cream of the crop of the nation.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 10, 2024

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Report from my first Unison conference - actually really interesting and engaging for me as a visitor! Some branches, especially those in Northern Ireland, have achived great things. It makes me want to do a better job in my branch, which I have wanted to do ever since I joined a couple years ago but being mental/disorganised/stressed makes that difficult.

What I didn't know until the first day was that Wes Streeting was originally invited to do a speech on the second day. What I also soon found out was that he had pulled out due to a "diary clash". There were a couple of (very brave imo) trans women who went up to give speeches in front of the conference publicly excoriating him for his public statements (and to a lesser extent the Unison service group which invited him). Additionally, multiple speakers emphasised that under no illusions would a Labour government would automatically mean more funding and better conditions for NHS workers (again, the McShitter was named and shamed here), so it's nice to know complacency is not encouraged in that regard. All these positions were very well received by the delegation. It was really nice seeing so many openly gender non-conforming members being present and heard with no issue. The gensec Christine McAnea also explicitly named transphobia as something Unison stood against (though we know talk is cheap, obviously).

I attended an event talking about administrators' role in digitalisation - i.e. is someone like me actually going to get a fiddle with a new Hospital Information System before some Band 9000 dickhead decides to sign off on buying it for a hundred million or whatever. Obviously user interfaces are one thing, but I did enquire as to how feasible it would be to have a team of national/regional Unison people who have some technical expertise and could actually sit in on the procurement process. I spoke to multiple people involved with such things, with me asking "I get the feeling it's decided by whoever shows the shiniest powerpoint and picks the nicest restaurant" and them responding "well, it's not SUPPOSED to, but also. yeah. that does happen a lot."

You can read some of the research here - it compared the UK and Norway, in health, banking, retail and food/drink processing industries. There are short summaries for full papers. I haven't looked closely yet, myself.
https://udig.powi.dmu.ac.uk/

Unison have also launched something called the "Admin Charter" with the intent of getting NHS Trusts to sign, which among other things asks them to commit to giving admin clear career progression (about half surveyed don't have a personal development plan!) and consulting them before implementing new technical changes. Personally, I feel the level of first-line tech support we have to do means we should be given clearer pathways into fields like software engineering or something.

There was a guest speech by Richard Pyle from Medical Aid for Palestine. I'll admit I've sort of tried to avoid reading about the specific horrors suffered by people in Gaza - hearing his report about what was happening down there right now, the unbelievable pain and loss and trauma.... you could feel it grip the soul of everyone in the auditorium. Unforgiveable atrocities and cowardice from everyone who's enabled it. There was a specific motion about healthcare workers in Palestine which the Standing Order Committee ruled out of order (for vague reasons) - this did not stop people discussing it in other motions, however.

I attended a racial bullying & harassment workshop which was actually run by a couple of Unison members in a neighbouring Trust who I intend to contact about how they run their whole joint (because we really aren't running poo poo right now lol). They'd achieved great things iin terms of accountability processes which was helped by them having the ear of certain directors and HR figures. Unfortunately my Trust does not have a functioning HR department lol.

The workshop also featured a very humble gentleman from a Scottish Trust, who opened by saying a couple years ago he would have thought UK racism was primarily an English problem, and that Scotland was more progressive than that, before his experience in the last two years disabused him of this notion. It seems to be a complete loving wild west out there in terms of companies getting license to recruit healthcare workers from abroad, and multiple situations where they arrive in the UK after great personal expense, only to be told that they do not have a job. The precarity that migrant workers are subjected to is oft-spoken of, but to hear the examples of racism, callousness, neglect was stomach-churning. The man look fairly loving drained just by talking about it and I have a great deal of respect for him. He had apparently become The Go-To Guy for migrant workers in his region with issues, despite he himself saying he does not feel he has the expertise to do so, and that he often feels out of his depth, though he forges on regardless. Audience members rightfully asked why aren't Unison building a regional team about this, but I don't recall any clear answers about that. I hope he and everyone he's been supporting do get more resources.

Also during the party (which was mid but I had a great time hitting a bar with some gay lads after - made a strong case for me going to the LGBT conference in November) I briefly was introduced to Sara Gorton, the lead negotiator for the recent paydeal, because my branch secretary happened to know her from way back lol. I did not say much (primarily because I was pished).

If you're even sort of active in your union branch, and you have the opportunity to go to a conference, I would really recommend it regardless of how you actually feel about your union as a whole. It's very affirming as a leftist to be surrounded by people who are eager to affect change in their workplaces and indeed the country as a whole. I don't consider myself the most social of people, but I felt relatively at ease striking up conversations with random people just by being in the same room as them.

Anyway! Sorry if this much-longer-than-intended wall of text has errors or typos in it but I am nursing a mild hangover. I'm sure there's something I forgot to add. Feel free to ask me any questions!

but finally, and most importantly: Bagelman in Brighton is so loving good dude. A++++ gluten-free bagel which they prepared in a separate area for me. It made me say "gently caress" in front of children in the shop.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Report from my first Unison conference - actually really interesting and engaging for me as a visitor! Some branches, especially those in Northern Ireland, have achived great things. It makes me want to do a better job in my branch, which I have wanted to do ever since I joined a couple years ago but being mental/disorganised/stressed makes that difficult.

info

Great report, thanks!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol: just noticed this cutting edge survey has “Reading the map on a road trip” as one of the situations. Something that hasn’t happened for 20 years.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

would have had no idea demons scarper if you just march in and give them a piece of your mind like you're at the local council office reception

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
boris johnson has the look of man you could rely on to block a toilet

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

think it's been mentioned in the UKMT before, but polling companies have to ask these kinds of stupid "what kind of bird is Keir Starmer" questions because the average person is incredibly inarticulate

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

boris johnson has the look of man you could rely on to block a toilet

And then order a junior member of staff to clear it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lt. Danger posted:

think it's been mentioned in the UKMT before, but polling companies have to ask these kinds of stupid "what kind of bird is Keir Starmer" questions because the average person is incredibly inarticulate

To my shame I have done many, many voxpops for TV and it is always an incredibly depressing experience.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
We can't all be Necrothatcher

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

I would argue that this is still being extremely inarticulate because I am not hiring either of them to do any of those things and I'm not sure what the imagined utility of hearing what the general public thinks about their ability to do things they are never going to have to do, would be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Report from my first Unison conference - [...] It made me say "gently caress" [...]

Also this was a good read, strange to imagine being in a place where people seem to be working towards something productive.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
our lord could have used davey icke around when he was being tempted by satan in the desert, that time, just tell him off like now look here, "sir", i don't care what your title is in the underworld, it's just not bloody on, what you're doing!!!!!!! leave him alone!!!!!! :mad:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Isomermaid posted:

We can't all be Necrothatcher

what a great video game boss that would be

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TACD posted:

Interestingly (?) it looks like there are already two Unicode sequences for “Flag for Jerusalem”; IL-JM (🏴󠁩󠁬󠁪󠁭󠁿) and PS-JEM (🏴󠁰󠁳󠁪󠁥󠁭󠁿)

The Palestinian Territories flag (🇵🇸) also contains the regional characters P-S so maybe there’s so weird autocomplete funkiness going on there? Whatever the real answer is I bet it’s ultimately because these flag emoji are just arcane Unicode sigils taped together.

I think it's the same programmer who worked for Microsoft and made sure that Wingdings would contain a secret message calling for murder of New York Jews on 9/11.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Thank you for reading! Couple of other things:

One of the Unison motions involved trying to get all NHS Trusts to implement disability/accessibility passports - i.e. a persistent record of an employee's needs so they don't need to keep explaining everything again should they get a new team/manager. To me this seems like a decent idea in theory - anyone here had any experience with it? I'd definitely like to bring it to my Trust but have little hope they'd implement it well or in good time.

You can see all the motions here.

They were practically all voted through unanimously, and made me wonder if the "for/against" speaker format with people limited to 3 minutes (eventually reduced to 2 yesterday when we started running behind - we were due to finish at 1pm today, we finished around 11am.) could use some improvement. A lot of them were quite vague (e.g. fight privatisation, fair pay, tackling racism) and I suspect tend to be submitted every year in a similar form.

Obviously the conference is an important democratic mechanism, but I much would have preferred to have spent a couple of hours in a setting dedicated to hearing e.g. how a successful campaign to bring a service in-house built itself and won their victory, and how others can learn from that than, than a chain of people feeling rushed to cram as many broad strokes and positions everyone already agrees within into 120 seconds.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

My wife says that my colourblindness makes me disabled. I laugh in her face. From the toilet, having eaten undercooked meat.

I think it would be reasonable if e.g. you were working as an electrician and one day you couldn't anymore because you can't tell the wires apart. But afaik colour blindness is something that we are born with, so we just decide to become something other than sea captains or bomb dismantlers.

For the very few that can't tell colours at all though, just a grey scale, I think it's a real disability that affects many simple tasks that most people don't ever think about.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

OwlFancier posted:

I would argue that this is still being extremely inarticulate because I am not hiring either of them to do any of those things and I'm not sure what the imagined utility of hearing what the general public thinks about their ability to do things they are never going to have to do, would be.

the survey essentially says Sunak is (marginally) perceived to be cleverer and more hard-nosed than Starmer, but Starmer is (to a slightly greater degree) perceived to be more sociable and practical

obviously gibberish to any sensible student of dialectical materialism, but most people tend to think of politics and politicians in terms of personal virtues and relationships

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Trade Union conferences are good, can confirm.

I'll be going to my second one later this year. Bit disappointing it's Birmingham rather than Bournemouth like the last one, but I suppose canals are nearly as nice to run along as beaches.

Everyone should join a union and then if they're up to it play an active part.

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite
I was in Bournemouth last week for NEU conference, can confirm union conference is good.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

They miss this on a potential mp but one tweet saying a person voted green once and they are barred from the party for life.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nenonen posted:

I think it would be reasonable if e.g. you were working as an electrician and one day you couldn't anymore because you can't tell the wires apart. But afaik colour blindness is something that we are born with, so we just decide to become something other than sea captains or bomb dismantlers.

For the very few that can't tell colours at all though, just a grey scale, I think it's a real disability that affects many simple tasks that most people don't ever think about.

Most of the issue I have with mine is that other people insist on using red/green gradients to represent important information. Doesn't generally affect me otherwise though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Nenonen posted:

I know a young lad early 20s heart dead-set on joining the RAF - he seemed absolutely ideal but went for the interview (maybe it was even 2nd interview or a test) and they discovered he had colour blindness so his ambition of years was thwarted. He was quite 'lost' after that.

Also, one of my younger nephews has similar ambition so I suggested my brother get him tested for it because if he builds up all his hopes on it, and it's discovered he was colour blind then that could spoil his chances.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know a young lad early 20s heart dead-set on joining the RAF - he seemed absolutely ideal but went for the interview (maybe it was even 2nd interview or a test) and they discovered he had colour blindness

should have just argued the toss imo

*pointing to a red square* that's green

"no sorry it's red"

nice try santa but I know loving green when I see it are you loving colourblind

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Colour blindness is a load of bollocks. The only thing you can't do is read those numbers they hide in the blobs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could join the other RAF instead, much cooler.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Could join the other RAF instead, much cooler.

What's the other RAF?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Thank you for reading! Couple of other things:

One of the Unison motions involved trying to get all NHS Trusts to implement disability/accessibility passports - i.e. a persistent record of an employee's needs so they don't need to keep explaining everything again should they get a new team/manager. To me this seems like a decent idea in theory - anyone here had any experience with it? I'd definitely like to bring it to my Trust but have little hope they'd implement it well or in good time.

My only concern here would be if it makes it harder to get accommodations *without* such a passport. My ADHD and visual impairment are on paper but my autism is self-diagnosed at the moment because of the long waiting lists, but I currently still feel able to request help at my workplace. In theory though I think it's a decent idea! Would love it if they'd make diagnosis easier though.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the other RAF?

Rot Army Fraktion, the German leftist terror cell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the other RAF?

The ones who kept assassinating and kidnapping german politicians :v:

Which I feel is more honest work than bombing people from an F35.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I think they also require you to recognise colour, it's in the name even...

And yes, it's very unfortunate if someone has slipped through the school system without a nurse or someone at some point doing the test on you, especially for boys as it's rare on girls. The more extreme forms probably show up without being looked for, though.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 10, 2024

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Tesseraction posted:

Rote Armee Fraktion :mil101:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1777979565241139327

What's left of the Tory support seems to be slowly shifting to Reform or the LDs.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive

HopperUK posted:

My only concern here would be if it makes it harder to get accommodations *without* such a passport. My ADHD and visual impairment are on paper but my autism is self-diagnosed at the moment because of the long waiting lists, but I currently still feel able to request help at my workplace. In theory though I think it's a decent idea! Would love it if they'd make diagnosis easier though.

A good point! Hopefully it's possible to make provisions for symptoms that aren't officially diagnosed.

I've just been sent the forms for my assessment after 3 years of waiting - i spoke to a lass in Brighton today who said she'd been on a waiting list for 5. I hope your time comes soon!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nuclear Spoon posted:

A good point! Hopefully it's possible to make provisions for symptoms that aren't officially diagnosed.

I've just been sent the forms for my assessment after 3 years of waiting - i spoke to a lass in Brighton today who said she'd been on a waiting list for 5. I hope your time comes soon!

Thanks bud :) I'm fairly comfortable with the self-diagnosis since I have access to disability accommodations through my other issues. It's a lot more pressing for other people. Such as my little second cousin, who's been waiting months and months at a crucial age. Grr.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Tesseraction posted:

Weird how that is somehow less badass sounding in German

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I remember fighting those guys in elden ring.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Wes Streeting is being an utter howling poo poo about trans people again and I am very very cross about this, in a way that I am not able to adequately express.

I want these folks to be put on trial in the Hague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Whats he saying?