Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Outrail posted:

Traffic fines need to scale with income. I think Sweden does that and they seem to be doing pretty good.

yeah this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Philthy posted:

Anecdotal, but ever since covid I've noticed a huge amount of cars simply running stop signs, red lights, and just driving more reckless. Like all the road laws went out the door for some reason. I've heard it all from friends, my wife noticed it, and we've been seeing tbones and dead cyclists everywhere.

Yeah, maybe I’m projecting but it feels like COVID exposed how threadbare the social contract has become . It’s every man for himself, there aren’t any “adults” in charge, there’s no help coming, God is dead, etc.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Yeah, maybe I’m projecting but it feels like COVID exposed how threadbare the social contract has become . It’s every man for himself, there aren’t any “adults” in charge, there’s no help coming, God is dead, etc.

This

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sentient Data posted:

Thing that got shittier: didn't normal Lays used to be regular sliced potato chips? I grabbed a bag for the first time in a while, and the texture was the same kind of compressed powder thing as pringles

Are you sure you didn't accidentally get Baked Lays?

I buy regular, plain, Lays frequently and it's always been real slices of potato, fried in oil, topped with salt.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i thought of a joke

what did the captain of the ship say when he heard his first mate call for some Ruffles?

"Be Lays, that order!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Windows 11 installed at work. It’s not bad I guess I had been using at home for awhile and didn’t notice

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

Windows 11 installed at work. It’s not bad I guess I had been using at home for awhile and didn’t notice

… how would you not notice that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Been using it since release and confirm: its fine and good and whatever. It's an OS, it doesnt cure cancer.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every edition of Windows feels like "shittier for no reason".

Love having to google how to do everything I already know how to do because some dickwad decided to gently caress with every single UI. Who gets paid to do this poo poo. Who thinks this is better, or easier? Just make the search bar in the bottom left better and leave everything else alone. I end up using that more than everything else because they moved all my poo poo.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Every edition of Windows feels like "shittier for no reason".

Love having to google how to do everything I already know how to do because some dickwad decided to gently caress with every single UI. Who gets paid to do this poo poo. Who thinks this is better, or easier? Just make the search bar in the bottom left better and leave everything else alone. I end up using that more than everything else because they moved all my poo poo.

If you right-click on the start button, you can get to p. much every setting and configuration, in their older/not-terminally-stupid format

the shittier part of Windows 10/11 is that its effectively just Windows 7 with a bunch of lovely UI changes unevenly painted on

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I haven't moved to windows 11 yet, but it 10 did update yesterday. Now I have a copilot icon in the bottom right corner that I can't get rid of. I asked copilot how to remove it and it told me to look for a toggle in the settings that isn't there.

edit: oh wait, there was a checkbox in the regular right-click menu. It still told me the wrong thing though

Lister fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 10, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am a Mac :)

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
so I drove more miles last week than I have in 8 years.

i cannot loving believe the amount of LED headlights that HURT MY EYEBALLS, IMPAIR VISION, AND MAKE DRIVING WAY MORE PAINFUL AND DIFFICULT. I EXPERIENCED LESS EYE PAIN STARING AT THE loving SUN.

At times the interstate at 3AM looked like loving daylight. Sedans, semitrucks, no difference. BLINDING, BLINDING LIGHTS.

when I had a Civic, my eyes were already melting all the time. I had to buy a much taller car and swear off sedans forever. In the years since it's gotten 1000X worse.

This is literally depressing me. I hardly ever drive already. Shame on this stupid miserable society. HOW IS ANY OF THIS LEGAL OR ALLOWED. All this talk about distracted driving, and now I gotta DJ my rearview and sideview mirrors the entire time I'm behind the wheel. gently caress everything. Death to america.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Want to ask ups to change the delivery time/date/location? Need an account. Want an account? Also can you sign this data use terms and conditions?

Surprised they don't have a mandatory ups app

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Outrail posted:

Traffic fines need to scale with income. I think Sweden does that and they seem to be doing pretty good.

That’s :finland:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ProperCauldron posted:

so I drove more miles last week than I have in 8 years.

i cannot loving believe the amount of LED headlights that HURT MY EYEBALLS, IMPAIR VISION, AND MAKE DRIVING WAY MORE PAINFUL AND DIFFICULT. I EXPERIENCED LESS EYE PAIN STARING AT THE loving SUN.

The good news is these have a life of about 40-90 hours before they need to be replaced. The only bulbs worth using are the standard 700 lumen bulbs which will last years. The brighter you go, they significantly lose life.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I tried to find out something about WhatsApp (what exactly happens when you click "notify contacts" when you change your phone number) and their site was useless.

I googled the question, then had a sensible chuckle and added "reddit" to the question. After looking through a dozen threads that had contradicting answers, I went back to Google and realised I have no recourse.

You used to have a billion different hobbyist forums and places with information and Q&A. Now if it isn't on reddit, it might be in some closed off discord or a Facebook group but either way you're hosed.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My city added clearly painted bike lanes but only a mile total of these lanes are protected by bollards (if that). This has eliminated right turn lanes at some of the city's more busy intersections. So naturally I see people driving straight through bike lanes making illegal rights. Or, just cutting into bike lanes well before legally and safely allowed.

If you want more bikes in your city, those lanes need better protection. A bike license should come with a pad of permanent stickers that they can affix to cars. As it is, I rarely see bicyclists on weekdays, and I sure as hell wouldn't ride on these streets.

The addition or broadening of bike lanes also has resulted in somewhat slimmer car lanes on some of the city's main streets, making driving much more of an adventure as I have to be vigilant of drivers in ever-larger cars edging into my lane.

There's just a lot more tension in driving in the last couple years as people get angrier and stupider, and cars get bigger, and self-centered tech gets more engrossing. But honestly, driving has always sucked, and other drivers have always annoyed me. The annoyances have just changed a bit. I recently noticed that a lotta folks just ignore double yellow lines and just hit the brakes and make turns wherever they want.

I used to have this really long commute, which I tried to blaze through and hyper-optimize for a few months, until I just learned to listen to podcasts and hang out in the slow lane. The fast drivers blaze past me, I get home five minutes later than before, but a lot happier. Slow lane + speed limit is the way to go sometimes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

doctorfrog posted:

The fast drivers blaze past me, I get home five minutes later than before, but a lot happier. Slow lane + speed limit is the way to go sometimes.

I used to be a super speeder on the interstate, but then I learned to stick to my aunt’s “60-65 in the far right lane” strategy and, honestly, yea, it’s a lot more relaxing

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just want people to stop tail gating. please stop tail gating me. im in the right lane and going 5 over. leave me alone. get away. I dont want to get rear ended again.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

silicone thrills posted:

I just want people to stop tail gating. please stop tail gating me. im in the right lane and going 5 over. leave me alone. get away. I dont want to get rear ended again.

I see this poo poo in Oregon all the loving time and it's baffling. People pile up in groups of vehicles, each with a following distance far too short. And yet nobody passes, not even on multi lane highways.
WTF

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

wash bucket posted:

It really did. The world feels like a meaner place now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

silicone thrills posted:

Don't know if this will work, but go 4 over and maybe they'll pass you, never tailgating you in the first place.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Brother Tadger posted:

I used to be a super speeder on the interstate, but then I learned to stick to my aunt’s “60-65 in the far right lane” strategy and, honestly, yea, it’s a lot more relaxing

This is also how I roll, but at some point in the last year etiquette on I-95 suddenly changed and now people pass on both the far left and far right. It's goddamn infuriating. The next time I'm going 5 over in the rightmost lane and some foreskin wrinkle in a Dodge Challenger flies up my rear end I'm just gonna tap my brakes and get loving paid.

It's extra dangerous because Maryland is inexplicably horny for comically short dual purpose on/offramps. I'm waiting for the day some dude in a Brodozer pulverizes whatever poor sap is trying to merge onto the highway.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
There's more and more places that mail takes days or weeks to clear, as far as I can tell.

Atlanta doesn't seem great; St Louis seems to be especially hosed? I had a package stuck there for a week or so, googling this led me to a bunch of reddit complaints going back to before Christmas, after communication with the shipper indicated they'd had another package stuck there for 2 weeks.

It seems like using overnight or 2-day service from UPS & USPS is still, generally, the best bet for getting things a place in a given amount of time. Anything else is starting to feel like a gamble, so that's a $30-and-up fee added on top of any significant purchase or anything that needs to be a place in a reasonable timeframe.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sentient Data posted:

Thing that got shittier: didn't normal Lays used to be regular sliced potato chips? I grabbed a bag for the first time in a while, and the texture was the same kind of compressed powder thing as pringles

Sorry you got something that sounds suspiciously like the best potato chip:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Blue Moonlight posted:

Sorry you got something that sounds suspiciously like the best potato chip:

that '$2 only' used to be on bigger bags and say '99¢ only'

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This is also how I roll, but at some point in the last year etiquette on I-95 suddenly changed and now people pass on both the far left and far right. It's goddamn infuriating.

Lol welcome to New Mexico the entire 22 years I've been driving a car

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

doctorfrog posted:

that '$2 only' used to be on bigger bags and say '99¢ only'

It's not even $2 only anymore, Munchos (and Santitas tortilla chips) are, like, "$2.60 only" now.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Dodge Challenger flies up my rear end I'm just gonna tap my brakes and get loving paid.

I do this every time someone tailgates me and then gradually slow down to like 2/3rds of the speed limit or whatever speed will provide reaction time adequate for how close they're driving.

I don't care hit me. Please hit me. They never hit me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I ordered something recently that was being delivered by DHL. Except DHL delivered it to the post office and sent me a "package delivered" notification when they did, and I spent an hour talking to their confused support people before giving up and waiting an entire day, then USPS delivered it to me.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Internet Old One posted:

I do this every time someone tailgates me and then gradually slow down to like 2/3rds of the speed limit or whatever speed will provide reaction time adequate for how close they're driving.

I don't care hit me. Please hit me. They never hit me.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol responding to dangerous driving with dangerous driving ftw

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

wash bucket posted:

I guess if you know deep down that the people around you let a bunch of old and sick people die so that Applebees could continue to serve mediocre slop, and maybe you joined in, it's hard to then worry about stuff like courtesy/consideration/safety on the road.

I will show you fear in a handful of bacon bits.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's not even $2 only anymore, Munchos (and Santitas tortilla chips) are, like, "$2.60 only" now.

I love paying $2 at a vending machine for an Arizona that says on the loving can exactly the opposite of what I paid

Brainworm
Mar 23, 2007

...one of these--
As he hath spices of them all, not all,
For I dare so far free him--made him fear'd...
Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

I haven't moved to windows 11 yet, but it 10 did update yesterday. Now I have a copilot icon in the bottom right corner that I can't get rid of. I asked copilot how to remove it and it told me to look for a toggle in the settings that isn't there.

edit: oh wait, there was a checkbox in the regular right-click menu. It still told me the wrong thing though

Winget is cool and good, though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol responding to dangerous driving with dangerous driving ftw

It's always wise to escalate danger due to pettiness when driving 2 ton vehicles at 65mph.

Nothing bad ever happens with that. No accidents, no anger, no one gets shot. It's just the smart thing to do.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It's always wise to escalate danger due to pettiness when driving 2 ton vehicles at 65mph.

Nothing bad ever happens with that. No accidents, no anger, no one gets shot. It's just the smart thing to do.

It's the call of the void. If I can't win then we can all lose.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i have to worry about a higher number of people around me in public engaging in actions without regard for life altering or ending consequences toward themselves or others. in regard to the post covid social contract breakdown. driving especially but in a lot of public places where poo poo didnt used to go down. nothing super crazy like the opening to bo is afraid, but often enough where i gotta be proactively defensive against people either unwilling or unable to give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I love paying $2 at a vending machine for an Arizona that says on the loving can exactly the opposite of what I paid

But the price on the can, tho.
https://youtu.be/JUc3wpDRiXM?si=TE541qVCsK-_vlxb