Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLpxYMgQUT4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

They bought the pieces of the exploded D model from “Cause and Effect” during the recent Greg Jein auction. Only instead of displaying them in a professional case or display, they spray-painted a bunch of literal plywood and dowels and then either hot-glued or ran metal wires through the model pieces directly onto/into the plywood, sprayed a stencil plaque in the corner, hung it up uncovered in their nerd cave, and then called it a day.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 9, 2024

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Considering they've thrown hundreds of vintage star wars toys into acetone and melted them for a video, that is actually an incredible level of reverence for them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s so loving stupid, especially considering how all these props were never meant to last and as a result are insanely fragile to begin with, which they already know about because they’ve run into similar issues with their other bought props.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
They didn't glue it.

They used caulking:eng101:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Jesus, shut the duck up. You don't like it, we get it. You seem completely unable to articulate anything though. You're just like "The acting! it's just so bad! How did anybody on this show ever get a job!" Like gently caress off if you can't even articulate your problem and are just "Thing bad!!!!"

The ignore feature exists for exactly this reason! I’ve had them on the list for years and have not regretted it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

RLM are just a group of friends doing whatever the gently caress they feel like, for better or worse. It's a shame that they haven't bothered with SNW, but they did full reviews of Picard and the first two seasons of Discovery and I think those pretty well killed their interest in new Trek, and Mike did say he watched the first episode of SNW and disliked it for much the same reasons I did so I can't really blame them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

His main problem was with the way people interact with each other not being professional like it was in the 90s shows. Like a military.

But the problem is the dude hasn't worked in that kind of environment for twenty years, the way professionals interact in offices now is way different than it was in the 90s. Work culture is wildly different. And Starfleet is not a military as much as it may seem like one. Pike's more relaxed attitude is one of the things a lot of people love about him, while also being a double edged sword for him as a character.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I work in gov and spend time poo poo posting gifs with coworkers in teams, I have no difficulty seeing people in Starfleet being less professional than the military, since it's explicitly not a military no matter how many people want to believe otherwise.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not a military during peacetime at least

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It is fitting that the RLM guys would watch all the lovely shows but won't watch the best one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think they said they liked Lower Decks. Although I think the only reason they watched it is because they are friends with Jack Quaid

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

they looooved Picard number 3.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Super Deuce posted:

The black uniform things Saru and Burnham are wearing look like AI Balenciaga things.

Holy poo poo this show is still so bad.

Edit - at this point in the show, I really hope the terrible acting of everyone is because they really don’t care… because it’s really bad. Like, none of these people should ever get work again kind of bad.

Doug Jones is a treasure, gently caress you

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Doug Jones has always been the MVP of the series.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

apatheticman posted:

Doug Jones is a treasure, gently caress you

Sure, he's a standout on the cast, but even he was really bad in these first two episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
By what insane measure?

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
A reoccuring hang up with Mike is he likes TNG and only TNG and he compares everything to TNG. I'm not sure if he really likes DS9, for instance, despite it also having people be professionals.

But he also has fuzzy memories of TNG, because he forgets that there are a lot of cases where the crew acts in a casual or goofy manner. Riker playing with that Picard puppet that a kid made for "Captain Picard Day" is an example I always remember.

SNW in that regard isn't that different. Hell, I've gone through all of old Star Trek prior to watching some of the new stuff and TOS can be intentionally pretty silly, "The Trouble with Tribbles" is a fan favorite and that episode is pretty lighthearted and jokey.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somebody remind me, what TOS episode is it where the main story is primarily about one of the other crew (Spock maybe?), with Kirk having said he's going to try and fix the problem and disappearing for a bit. After a lengthy period with Spock (or whoever it was) they ponder if the Captain's investigation is going well, and it immediately cuts to Kirk and an Andorian beating the poo poo out of each other? :allears:

I hope to God that episode is EXACTLY as I remember it :pray:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Finally watched the first 2 eps of the new Disco season. Not bad! Not really good but not bad.

I've only got a handful of minor complaints but they're all silly things like...
Why are they able to create phasers and space suits in under a second using programmable matter but literally any kind of toy to take on laser drones is somehow impossible?
It's hard to believe Captain Raynor is so in love with Starfleet and The Federation yet is an abrasive prick right off the bat like that. He should've been an Admiral by now!
Also wild to see him pump his fist yelling "70% for the win!" because it amazes to see that phrase lasted a millennia when it couldn't last us a couple decades.
There are a lot of really nice longer cuts that their cinematographer is having a real good time with. Too bad they still don't know how to keep a camera steady or level, so half the show looks like a blurry mess to me.

On the other hand...
I enjoyed The Chase so I'm glad to see something finally continue its explosively important premise, even if it has to be Disco.
There are some very pretty action sequences, even if I can't tell what I'm looking at because it's almost too actiony.
It was mentioned that the race which used the necropolis in Episode 2 was from TNG's Booby Trap yet all I could think about was this dude showing up:

I liked the synth, the actor did good, the cinematography of him opening the puzzle box was fun.
I like the bad guys. Bonnie and Clyde but Star Trek? Sure! Is their name a reference to Moloch? Is that a dumb reference? I dunno!

It's just a shame this has to be another season where the entire loving galaxy is somehow at stake. That said, their map they're building sure looks like something Helldivers players have seen plenty of:

Oh yeah and I didn't see a single tear shed so far! Wooo! This will be the last time I ever talk about this particular topic ever again.

Edit: Also forgot to mention the all-white security room being a direct copy of the same thing Invincible does got a laugh out of me.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 10, 2024

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

cronenberg has been asking the devs to please please make a dark mode version of the security room but unfortunately it keeps getting deprioritized

:tinfoil: what if it's a technique to identify mirror universe people

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
An all-white limbo environment is a pretty standard thing in media. The Matrix did it as well for their “loading screen”. Even Trek did it before, with the opening of Tapestry.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

TuxedoOrca posted:

A reoccuring hang up with Mike is he likes TNG and only TNG and he compares everything to TNG. I'm not sure if he really likes DS9, for instance, despite it also having people be professionals.

But he also has fuzzy memories of TNG, because he forgets that there are a lot of cases where the crew acts in a casual or goofy manner. Riker playing with that Picard puppet that a kid made for "Captain Picard Day" is an example I always remember.

SNW in that regard isn't that different. Hell, I've gone through all of old Star Trek prior to watching some of the new stuff and TOS can be intentionally pretty silly, "The Trouble with Tribbles" is a fan favorite and that episode is pretty lighthearted and jokey.

he has referenced DS9 on occasion, I remember he talked about the episode where one of the runabouts gets shrank and they can’t exit it because the oxygen molecules in the runabout were shrank but they wouldn’t be able to breathe the normal molecules outside the runabout

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Yeah but I've also seen that episode and I've barely seen any da9

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Boxturret posted:

Yeah but I've also seen that episode and I've barely seen any da9

To be fair, this is a running theme for the entire franchise at the moment. Voyager got a stealth sequel, TNG got Picard, DS9 got... an episode in LDS. And that wasn't even a very good LDS episode because the only thing going for it was "OMG we got greenlighted to do an episode at DS9".

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Big Mean Jerk posted:

An all-white limbo environment is a pretty standard thing in media. The Matrix did it as well for their “loading screen”. Even Trek did it before, with the opening of Tapestry.

Or when Sisko had a Zoom call with the Prophets.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Jerusalem posted:

Somebody remind me, what TOS episode is it where the main story is primarily about one of the other crew (Spock maybe?), with Kirk having said he's going to try and fix the problem and disappearing for a bit. After a lengthy period with Spock (or whoever it was) they ponder if the Captain's investigation is going well, and it immediately cuts to Kirk and an Andorian beating the poo poo out of each other? :allears:

I hope to God that episode is EXACTLY as I remember it :pray:

The Andorian fight is in Journey to Babel.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I thought that was obvious. The joke is in the fact they're using it as a high security area. In The Matrix it was their version of a holodeck. The opening of Tapestry was treating it as an afterlife. I'm not saying they're copying the white room, I'm saying they're copying the concept of a pure white room as a means of security. In Invincible you get to see what the room actually looks like if you have clearance to see it. I think it's a neat concept.

This reminds me, I think it's funny how the red directive is so secretive not even the fleet admiral gets to know about it but as soon as a couple of people figure it out, everyone on the whole ship knows the secret and nobody seems to care how secret it is anymore. Even the prisoner rogue who almost blew up an extra-galactic species gets to know the secret.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 10, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

To be fair, this is a running theme for the entire franchise at the moment. Voyager got a stealth sequel, TNG got Picard, DS9 got... an episode in LDS. And that wasn't even a very good LDS episode because the only thing going for it was "OMG we got greenlighted to do an episode at DS9".

Tendi going full pirate was amazing, then she gets to the last room and just screams at the guy and he immediately sees where his future is heading and leaps off the balcony.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

corona familiar posted:

cronenberg has been asking the devs to please please make a dark mode version of the security room but unfortunately it keeps getting deprioritized

:tinfoil: what if it's a technique to identify mirror universe people

There’s a universal translator plug-in that will automatically make all holorooms dark mode

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know that they've never adequately explained how relative distances between people work in the holodeck, but how they have full holo emitters in their rooms and don't fall over their own coffee table is beyond me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Per the TNG Technical Manual:

quote:

Matter conversion subsystem creates physical props using replicators. Replicated props are generally created when an object is likely to be touched by the participant. Some props are animated under computer control by precision-guided tractor beams.

Holographic imagery subsystem creates three-dimensional images of simulated environments. Shaped forcebeams give physical substance to foreground objects so they have the illusion of being solid.

Substrate forcefield creates "treadmill" effect, permitting participant to remain stationary while the simulated environment "scrolls" by within the limits of the simulation program.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
My favorite part of that is where it implies the holographic people are replicated meat puppets driven by tractor beams. But on screen they should've ragdolled if they exited the holodeck too far instead of just dissipating.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"Computer, I'd like a program where a group of people watch me take off in an airplane with unlimited fuel and fly the circumference of the globe in real time, with complete object permanence - the simiulated people must stay in the same place the entire time I'm making my flight."

(the ship eventually explodes from the stack overflow)

(and yes I remember Ship in a Bottle)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You get too far from the origin of the holoprogram and the characters start warping all over the place as floating point errors stack up.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I think you guys just wrote a Rick and Morty episode.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

incest joke potential too low, no harmon sign off

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Imagine one of the meat puppets clipping through a wall

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Cojawfee posted:

You get too far from the origin of the holoprogram and the characters start warping all over the place as floating point errors stack up.

it's the future, they're all using the Decimal class :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Imagine one of the meat puppets clipping through a wall

Imagine?? What do you think Boimler has to clean out of the biotraps?